PDA

View Full Version : Your Experience with Saris Trunk Mount Racks?

bluekudu
06-13-2011, 04:51 PM
I am trying to fit our company commuter van (2006 Ford E350) with a trunk mount bike rack and Saris seems to be the only big manufacturer model that fits. If anyone is using one, how is the bike sway stability? Do the bike lock in place or do they sway freely? (I was hoping to get a thule because of their anti-sway devices but those racks do not fit this van) Thanks in advance.

Hawker
06-13-2011, 04:57 PM
Never fitted on to a van, but have had the three bike model for about six years and use it often on a Camry and Accord Wagon. If you mount it correctly and make sure the straps are adjusted properly....well, mine works great and I couldn't be happier with it. I don't like carrying three bikes with it because of possible scratches if the bike bang together. but for two bikes I've had no problems.

bluekudu
06-13-2011, 05:10 PM
Thanks Hawker. I'm concerned about scratches as well. Are you using the Bones 3-bike and is there some sway?

tiretrax
06-13-2011, 05:26 PM
a friend has one that has two straps that hang down on the back of his mini. he didn't mount it correctly the first time and got a small dent. other friends with the conventional bones complain about scratches, so they put tshirts under the rubber pads. i think they said the clips bit into the paint. why don't you just put it inside your van? you can always wrap it in an old blanket or a tarp to keep grease off the upholstery.

harlond
06-13-2011, 05:46 PM
I carry my tandem on the Bones rack. The bike does not sway back and forth as I drive, but if I come to a sudden stop or start too fast, the bike will twist in the rack. It hasn't been much, and I haven't felt compelled to eliminate it. If I wanted to, I'm sure I could figure out some way to eliminate it. Overall, I love the rack.

bluekudu
06-13-2011, 05:48 PM
a friend has one that has two straps that hang down on the back of his mini. he didn't mount it correctly the first time and got a small dent. other friends with the conventional bones complain about scratches, so they put tshirts under the rubber pads. i think they said the clips bit into the paint. why don't you just put it inside your van? you can always wrap it in an old blanket or a tarp to keep grease off the upholstery.

It's a twelve person commuter van that's usually full of employees so on any given day, there might not be room on the inside. I'm going to give the Saris a shot (my road bike is ti, mtb is clear coated aluminum.)

Surprised no one suggested "why don't you just ride your bike?"

Thanks all

Ozz
06-13-2011, 06:00 PM
I have a 3 bike Saris Bones rack and will echo the comments above.

Easy to mount on vehicle
Straps / clips are a little funky (that hold the bikes)
Using some foam pipe insulation between rack straps and tubes works well

Also, I found that using "Grip Twists" (http://) helps prevent the bikes from swaying or moving too much.

Bob Ross
06-14-2011, 06:30 AM
I have a Saris Bone 3-bike model. There is a tiny amount of sway, usually from the outermost mounted bike, but never enough to cause any scratching of the frame. I like the idea of pipe insulation as extra insurance, I may try that.

I have noticed that the type of frame can determine how easy it is to mount and how much sway occurs. Fairly traditional geometries with round tubes go in easy. Radical shaped tubes with swoopy curves -- iow, your typical modern high-zoot carbon frame -- can be a bit fussy; it's harder to get all the straps cinched down tight to prevent sway.

Jawn P
06-14-2011, 08:29 AM
Protip: put a beer coozy over your pedal / crank arm to prevent scratches between your bikes and car.

I liked mine a lot, but as said before, if your rack or bike is at all grimey it can scuff up the finish of your frame so keep an eye out.

bluekudu
06-14-2011, 01:04 PM
Great advice from all. Rack should be here today and I hope to ride home tomorrow afternoon.

bluekudu
06-23-2011, 10:31 PM
So I bought the rack for our commuter van. The good is that it installs quickly (20 minutes or so) and is quick and easy to adjust. Bikes go on easily (I should say "bike" since I've only had one on at a time)

The bad is that I'm not sure I like how the rack holds the bike in place. The top straps work fine, but the lower straps that keep the bike from swaying seem less than ideal. I'll see if I can get this to work better but for now, I'd give the rack a B.

giverdada
06-24-2011, 05:56 AM
my wife and i were looking for a rack and went with this one after checking out my buddy's Bones 3.

we were somewhat waffling regarding spending that much on a trunk rack, and whether we should look for a roof mount set up used, or what, and then we saw one on a police cruiser. when we asked about the rack, the officer said that it was the only one that didn't fall off during high speed chases and cornering! sold.

so we got it in pink.

it's easy to mount. really wrench on those flimsy-feeling straps. i think they're flimsy-feeling to allow for better bite by the knurled cinching hardware. then tie them once they're well-adjusted, super tight, and make a tone when plucked.

last time we hauled our bikes out of town for the weekend, my lady friend had done the rack set up. i usually do it, out of habit and the fact that i weigh more so i can wrench the straps tighter. either way, she did the bikes, but didn't do the bike-cinch straps the right way or tightly enough, and her carbon felt was waving in the breeze at 120 km/h on our way out. so i pulled over and re-tightened everything and then it was all rock solid.

for cinching the bike: pull the toothed strap while depressing the buckle. that anti-sway strap is the money - make sure that your seat tube is totally against the rack at that point, and cinch the strap as tightly as possible. it really works to prevent sway, but only when totally cinched against a tube that is against the rack.

as for the rest of the bikes - i use the excess strap material to tie the front wheel to the rack. alternatively, i've used webbing or a reflective strap to tie the bars to the neighboring rear wheel. either way, unbound front ends will swing with acceleration and deceleration, so i tie them up. and i pivot the brake calipers or tie the wheels so that they don't spin. then it's all secure and conspicuous as hell and hopefully no one rear ends us!

hope your rack works for you - it's the best one i've used yet, and i've tried them all...

dekindy
06-24-2011, 07:04 AM
I borrowed this rack once for a major event that I was a SAG and am convinced if installed properly you could pick your vehicle up with it as the attachement point. A little bit of an exaggeration because the plastic may not be strong enough but the idea is that it should become one with the vehicle or you have not installed it properly. Take it to the LBS and let them install it for you so that you can learn the proper technique.

rugbysecondrow
06-24-2011, 07:10 AM
Yes, great rack. I had the three bike model and I was a big fan of it. Sturdy, secure, no worrie of the bikes going anywhere. Traveled cross country with bikes mounted on it while it was mounted on a mini-van.

WickedWheels
06-24-2011, 10:49 PM
I got the Bones RS. Assuming that it works it's an amazing rack. It's expensive, but so easy to install and so secure that it's worth the price. Plus, it locks on and uses a REALLY sturdy metal frame.

FWIW, I use one on my 3-series convertible (that it was not rated for) and it works great. No damage whatsoever... as long as I don't put the top up or down with the rack mounted.

flydhest
06-25-2011, 11:02 AM
Slight drift . . . anyone know if you can order those little black screws that hold the arms in place for the Saris? Some of mine have got stripped or gone missing.