PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo C Record First Production Info Needed

19wisconsin64
06-13-2011, 12:36 PM
If there are one or two of you who might have extensive knowledge of the first (the very first, only made for the first year of production) production of the C Record Campagnolo components....I need some advice.

There are big differences between the first year, and subsequent years, and many of these are subtle, but important.

Please PM me if you are such a person, maybe a mechanic /dealer / collector.... Help!!

Why....well...I'm putting together a DeRosa and have acquired a small treasure trove of these fine parts from a very kind fellow member, and these are different to set up, and also are different in many appearance ways

Here are some of my questions:

1. The delta brakeset has a small tube on top, and i want to make sure i am properly setting these "speed alternators". Run with them wide open? Tight? Brake pad advice..?
2. The hubset does not have the counter-sunk holes, as perhaps the second year of production (or second run) has... is this correct?
3. The seatpost has a very subtle "shoulder" above the insertion line. Correct?
4. At what point did the Cobalto's come out? and for how long?
5. Should i even sell a bike (once set up) with the first year delta's? i'm inclined not to, as have personally had the not fun experience of riding delta's in the rain. (maybe i had them improperly adjusted)
6. Is it improper to mix and match early c record parts when putting together a bike? i'm not looking for top dollar, but just want input on this....i think top dollar would be all new old stock.

I'm 95% of the way to getting all of the parts together for the build, but before doing so, and posting, I want to check these things out with folks who know more than me. I've personally bought, sold, and rode more C record components than most folks out there (i used to be CRecordCampagnolo on ebay, and have sold over 40 fairly complete groupsets!)....but to be honest, i'm not an expert, just a fan of the era!!! These early parts are out of my league!!

Thank you! Dave (who rides a 1982 Motobecane set up as a fixie with C Record parts)

Ti Designs
06-13-2011, 01:27 PM
I can answer a few of these...

1) Don't run them open, the parallelogram can collapse if the cable anchor pulls up too high - that was one of the reasons for the redesign.

2) Yup, polished to a mirror finish, no countersinking and the Campy emblem was engraved, not laser etched. They also tend to break spokes at the elbow.

4) 7 months after Interbike. I still have my set in a box, make an offer...

I think the 3.5mm allen wrench needed to install or adjust the Delta brakes pretty much sums up the grouppo - one royal pain in the ass.

sean
06-13-2011, 01:45 PM
5. I wouldn't. For the most part, people skipped the deltas and still ran Super Record brakes or later on Cobaltos (which are just super record with some fancy white stuff and a gem).

oldpotatoe
06-13-2011, 02:25 PM
If there are one or two of you who might have extensive knowledge of the first (the very first, only made for the first year of production) production of the C Record Campagnolo components....I need some advice.

There are big differences between the first year, and subsequent years, and many of these are subtle, but important.

Please PM me if you are such a person, maybe a mechanic /dealer / collector.... Help!!

Why....well...I'm putting together a DeRosa and have acquired a small treasure trove of these fine parts from a very kind fellow member, and these are different to set up, and also are different in many appearance ways

Here are some of my questions:

1. The delta brakeset has a small tube on top, and i want to make sure i am properly setting these "speed alternators". Run with them wide open? Tight? Brake pad advice..?
2. The hubset does not have the counter-sunk holes, as perhaps the second year of production (or second run) has... is this correct?
3. The seatpost has a very subtle "shoulder" above the insertion line. Correct?
4. At what point did the Cobalto's come out? and for how long?
5. Should i even sell a bike (once set up) with the first year delta's? i'm inclined not to, as have personally had the not fun experience of riding delta's in the rain. (maybe i had them improperly adjusted)
6. Is it improper to mix and match early c record parts when putting together a bike? i'm not looking for top dollar, but just want input on this....i think top dollar would be all new old stock.

I'm 95% of the way to getting all of the parts together for the build, but before doing so, and posting, I want to check these things out with folks who know more than me. I've personally bought, sold, and rode more C record components than most folks out there (i used to be CRecordCampagnolo on ebay, and have sold over 40 fairly complete groupsets!)....but to be honest, i'm not an expert, just a fan of the era!!! These early parts are out of my league!!

Thank you! Dave (who rides a 1982 Motobecane set up as a fixie with C Record parts)

1)-Open lever(if you are using C-Record levers with the 'QR' on the lever), pull cable tight thru Delta, secure cable(yep a 3.5mm allen), then close lever and adjust with barrel adjust at top of lever. The VERY first Delta had a QR in the tube at the top of the caliper. If it's just a tube, those are second gen.

2) First gen C-Record hubs, seen in catalog 18bis, did not have counter sunk holes, next gen(what your Deltas are from) did. 1985.

3) NOT sure about that one. My with stamped logo, C-Record did not.

4)Those very first gen, 1984, 3 pivot, were essentially recalled(rusted innards) and Colbatos were introduced as interim, then second gen in 1985 altho Colbatos(SuperRecord with blue stone) hung around for a while.

5) & 6)-group off the bike worth more than on a bike.

Individual parts worth more than a group

oldpotatoe
06-13-2011, 02:30 PM

1) Don't run them open, the parallelogram can collapse if the cable anchor pulls up too high - that was one of the reasons for the redesign.

2) Yup, polished to a mirror finish, no countersinking and the Campy emblem was engraved, not laser etched. They also tend to break spokes at the elbow.

I think the 3.5mm allen wrench needed to install or adjust the Delta brakes pretty much sums up the grouppo - one royal pain in the ass.

2)-CRecord had the bulge for the oil cover in the middle with 'Campagnolo printed parallel to the flanges..never had laser etching.

I use 'em everyday, an entire C-Record group from about 1988 or so.It looks great, works just fine and a 3.5 is available from any decent hardware store. 5mm for brake nuts, not 3.5(only anchor the cable) but I know you know that.

oliver1850
06-13-2011, 10:45 PM
3.)If this is the shoulder you refer to, it is present in the picture of the Record corsa group in catalog 18 bis, printed 12/86. The picture shows the post from the rear, so the logo type isn't clear.

I looked through the later catalogs. The first catalog that shows the post without the shoulder is the 1988 Record catalog.

In catalog 18 bis, Victory and Triomphe posts do not have the shoulder. In the picture of the Triomphe group, the logo does appear to be pressed in, not printed.

The comments apply to the long (180mm) post. The short Record post did not have the shoulder.

oldpotatoe
06-14-2011, 07:57 AM

Got pix of the Deltas?

I may be interested, it would look good in my display case.

peter@vecchios.com