PDA

View Full Version : 10s Campy shifter questions

that guy
06-12-2011, 05:18 PM
I have two sets of alloy-era, 10-speed Campy shifters. The Centaur set have a very nice, firm click when shifting, while the Veloce set have almost no tactile click at all, almost like a friction shift.

Could this be a worn-out index spring or index ring, and if so, could it be replaced? Which piece(s) do I need to order?

Or is it just the nature of the lower-tier Veloce shifters?

Thanks!

jemoryl
06-12-2011, 05:22 PM
Sounds like it needs new g-springs, maybe something else if you see breakage or wear. Find the youtube video showing how to rebuild these things - you can do it yourself. The Centaur of that era have exactly the same guts as Veloce (and the Chourus and Record aren't much different).

oldpotatoe
06-13-2011, 07:35 AM
I have two sets of alloy-era, 10-speed Campy shifters. The Centaur set have a very nice, firm click when shifting, while the Veloce set have almost no tactile click at all, almost like a friction shift.

Could this be a worn-out index spring or index ring, and if so, could it be replaced? Which piece(s) do I need to order?

Or is it just the nature of the lower-tier Veloce shifters?

Thanks!

Nope, lever needs an overhaul and a replacement of either the shift springs and/or spring carrier. Both easy, I carry them. I use the 'Ultra' carrier and springs, $25 total. I've never seen a shift disc(index ring) wear out in the 20 some years I have been overhauling these things. VERY hard steel.

peter@vecchios.com

BTW- I can OVH these as well, one day turnaround. I overhaul many.

flydhest
06-13-2011, 07:38 AM
Potato,
Any reason why a shop wouldn't do this? My shop asserted that an overhaul is not cost effective and it would be better to replace. Sounded bogus to me, but the shop sponsors my team, so I didn't want to make a big deal of it.

oldpotatoe
06-13-2011, 07:58 AM
Potato,
Any reason why a shop wouldn't do this? My shop asserted that an overhaul is not cost effective and it would be better to replace. Sounded bogus to me, but the shop sponsors my team, so I didn't want to make a big deal of it.

Most shops think doing this is some sort of black art or something. I just OVHed a lever done by the local Trek store and the guy mashed a LH ERGO spring carrier into the RH lever, then reassembled it wrong to boot. PLUS the customer said it took 2 WEEKS to get the part(wrong part!!).

When your shop says things like that, I can only assume your shop is clueless when it comes to Campagnolo in general and ERGO lever innards specifically.

Springs and $ to OVH are $50 at Vecchio's...can ya find a new lever for $50? Even a used one that will work like new?

jr59
06-13-2011, 08:57 AM
Ship it to Peter.

Campy repair God!!!! :banana:

oldpotatoe
06-13-2011, 10:46 AM
Ship it to Peter.

Grazie Mille.

oldman
06-13-2011, 11:21 AM
likin' the campy stuff, more and more. cool ink.

binxnyrwarrsoul
06-13-2011, 11:24 AM
:beer: :beer: Ship it to Peter.

weiwentg
06-13-2011, 11:34 AM
Most shops think doing this is some sort of black art or something. I just OVHed a lever done by the local Trek store and the guy mashed a LH ERGO spring carrier into the RH lever, then reassembled it wrong to boot. PLUS the customer said it took 2 WEEKS to get the part(wrong part!!).

When your shop says things like that, I can only assume your shop is clueless when it comes to Campagnolo in general and ERGO lever innards specifically.

Springs and $ to OVH are $50 at Vecchio's...can ya find a new lever for $50? Even a used one that will work like new?

To be fair, Campy users are in the minority and most shops will be clueless. For example, 95% of the peeps on the Sunday ride I frequent had Shimano or SRAM. Either get the parts from Vecchios or ship the levers to Vecchios, imo.

merlinmurph
06-13-2011, 11:35 AM
Fortunately, my hole-in-the-wall LBS is like Peter's, and overhauls Campy shifters. I try to spread the word around here as much as possible to get him business because people simply don't realize this can be done.

It's bad enough when you walk into a shop, mention the word "Campy", and notice a puzzled look on the guy's face. :crap:

Murph

oldpotatoe
06-14-2011, 08:04 AM
To be fair, Campy users are in the minority and most shops will be clueless. For example, 95% of the peeps on the Sunday ride I frequent had Shimano or SRAM. Either get the parts from Vecchios or ship the levers to Vecchios, imo.

It is a decent bike shop's JOB to be the expert on this stuff if they want to be thought of as a 'pro shop', not just a deliverer of bike parts.

This Campagnolo 'stuff' just isn't hard. It's also not hard to have a few Campagnolo cogsets, chainrings, 11s chains, etc., and then get the word out that this shop 'qui si parla Campagnolo'...But most would rather just take a bike out of a box, slap it together, sell it, then yell, "NEXT"...retail life is too short to much with things like that. It's hard enough w/o having to deal with crappy design, poor spec, clueless product managers, greedy reps., etc.

There is a guy here that just does shock work, overhauls and such. I don't think he would be as successful if he only messed with Rockshox..but does all, including older Manitou and Marzzoci, for instance.