PDA

View Full Version : Soaked Leather Saddle

Bob Loblaw
06-12-2011, 09:28 AM
I have a Terry Firefly saddle skinned in leather, and after racing in monsoon conditions, it's completely saturated. Water squelches out when I sit on it. Any ideas for getting the water out of it without ruining it?

BL

AngryScientist
06-12-2011, 09:36 AM
probably just set it in the sun for a while, with a fan to move plenty of air over it. make sure all sides get airflow.

that's likely the best you're going to be able to do.

Ken Robb
06-12-2011, 10:09 AM
I would "squelch" as much water out of it before putting it in front of the fan but I wouldn't put it in direct sun.

Dekonick
06-12-2011, 12:45 PM
Try this - go get some diapers and wrap your seat up in them... or save the silica packs that come with stuff you buy... use them the same way. I would not put it in the sun...

whatever you do don't ride it until it is DRY -

rice rocket
06-12-2011, 12:47 PM
Rice works as well for Dekonick's method.

Bob Loblaw
06-12-2011, 02:10 PM
Great ideas. Thanks, all.

After it dries, should I treat the leather with a dab of neatsfoot or something?

Apart from a Brooks or some such, I really don't see the advantage of leather on a bicycle seat, and getting the water out of it is a PITA.

BL

bart998
06-12-2011, 05:18 PM
You could use Brooks proofhide but you can't do the underside of the leather or your seat. So maybe even Baseball glove conditioner (glove-olium) to restore the leather. but I have never used glove-olium on a saddle, it's oilier and will soak-in but may get on your shorts. Maybe the wipes for leather furniture?

Steve in SLO
06-12-2011, 05:48 PM
The leather could shrink if you involve heat with the drying...slow is better. You can apply some conditioner on it before it's fully dry to help avoid shrinkage...lexol, hide food, proofride, lanolin, etc would all work.