PDA

View Full Version : Getting Grease Out of White Bib Shorts?

DRietz
06-11-2011, 09:26 PM
Well, I did a bad bad thing today. I recently purchased one of my shop's new kits, which are Capo Super Corsa sets.

The bottom of the bib short has a white band and while taking my bike down from the rafters today, the chainring hit my right thigh.

You can figure out where this is going...

What are some ways to get a grease stain out of this seemingly delicate cycling material? I was thinking spot treatment with Dawn dish soap - the kind they use on cute little otters.

:banana:

ultraman6970
06-11-2011, 09:33 PM
Good luck with that one.

Let the thing in the washer machine an let it soaking for 30 minutes if that doesnt fix it....

Good luck.

godfrey1112000
06-11-2011, 09:40 PM
Dawn,

d_man16
06-11-2011, 09:44 PM
Yea try the dawn see what happens, if not try the stuff mechanics use to get grease off their hands- You can it get at any auto parts store

~D

rice rocket
06-11-2011, 09:56 PM
Mechanics use Dawn when the grease gets thick. :)

DRietz
06-11-2011, 10:03 PM
I use Dawn to wash my hands when home from the shop.

So, do I just spot treat it and then throw it in the washer?

majl
06-11-2011, 10:30 PM
Try Lestoil. I used it to successfully remove multiple chain grease stains off a white Assos jersey that had been sitting for almost 3 weeks.

Bruce K
06-12-2011, 04:52 AM
I've had good luck with the Oxyclean spray as a pre-wash.

I did a similar thing (not quite as bad) - changed a flat and managed to wipe my hand on white knee warmers without thinking.

A couple of shots of Oxyclean, let it soak for about 10 minutes, into the wash they went and now they're white again.

Good luck,

BK

Dekonick
06-12-2011, 09:17 AM
*mental note*

replace nitrile gloves along with new tube... and add one 'OFF towelette just in case...

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=nitrile+gloves&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=16280274743261683133&sa=X&ei=WMr0TaSDEpDpgQed0YzLCw&ved=0CIsBEPMCMAE

http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/catalog/shop_product_detail.jsp?skuId=313417&productId=313417&WT.mc_id=Shopping_Feed_Products_Google_Free_Listin g

This way, if you need to tinker with anything that has grease, you wear gloves. If you have a serious mechanical malfunction in a bug infested area, use the wipe and call a friend...

:)

Grease on white anything = problem... same for blood... (mosquitoes...)

RPS
06-12-2011, 09:58 AM
Grease on white anything = problem...
I don’t know about chain grease because they are so many types of formulas, but when I got road tar spots all over a white jersey years ago, my wife and I tried every remedy and spot remover we could think of and nothing worked. Because I had already decided to throw it away, I tried soaking in a little gasoline overnight and to my surprise the tar completely dissolved. I then hand washed it with Dawn or Palmolive in a bucket and hung it out to dry so gas smell would evaporate. I then put it through regular wash a couple of times. I still have it, and it looks good as new.

I’ve also found that citrus-based cleaners and spot removers work fairly well on many kinds of stubborn stains, but when everything else fails I now use a little gas provided I can clean it outside in well-ventilated area. I know environmentally it’s not great, but it’s the same stuff I put in lawn mower.

merckx
06-12-2011, 10:05 AM
Okay, this may sound flip. When messing about with bicycles, either never use grease and oil or any other type of lubricant on your machine if you have white cycling shorts in your kit collection, or don't have white cycling shorts in your kit collection if you like to keep your machine lubed-up.

Oh, try Shouting it out. I've gotten blood out of my kit with this stuff after stacking.

schwa86
06-12-2011, 10:20 AM
Having done similar things in the past, and spending some time googling around, I have (oddly) that spraying heavily with WD-40 and then washing works wonders.

nachoman
06-12-2011, 11:04 AM
I've got grease on just about every type of clothing garment. That's what happens when you have a small house with too many bikes. To get to my garage, I have to pass inbetween two bikes.

I can NEVER get the grease stains completely out. On a random tee shirt, I don't really care. But I've ruined at least a few pair of expensive pants, which pisses me off. :mad:

DRietz
06-12-2011, 11:49 AM
Gloves definitely wouldn't have helped my situation. Since nobody replied about spot treatment with Dawn, I'll call Capo tomorrow and see what they recommend.

djg21
06-12-2011, 12:09 PM
If it's fresh, some Lestoil as a pre-scrub, and then in the wash.

Dekonick
06-12-2011, 12:41 PM
WD40 and gas (not together...) both work well to dissolve grease. Works for crayon too...

slowgoing
06-12-2011, 03:27 PM
so that's "grease" on your white shorts?

Jason E
06-12-2011, 03:30 PM
Well, I did a bad bad thing today. I recently purchased one of my shop's new kits, which are Capo Super Corsa sets.

The bottom of the bib short has a white band and while taking my bike down from the rafters today, the chainring hit my right thigh.

:banana:

I think if you are wearing white shorts you are supposed ot have a car following you. :rolleyes:

navclbiker
06-12-2011, 07:04 PM
Goo-Gone. It works! Period. (Yes, I have removed grease from my cycling clothing with it.) :beer:

DRietz
06-12-2011, 08:08 PM
Dawn worked perfectly, even with super light rubbing.

The shorts aren't completely white, just the band along the bottom. I'll get a picture at some point.

Dekonick
06-12-2011, 08:39 PM
I only have one thing to say...

White bib shorts should be forbidden... just like a wet T-shirt... you get my drift...

I am sure someone will be tasteless enough to post the podium pics...

Charles M
06-12-2011, 09:45 PM
http://www.coupondad.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Simple_Green.jpg

http://bloombikeshop.com/images/products/dawndishsoap225.jpg

http://usa-online-degrees.com/_cache/All%20about%20education%20and%20degree.%20Part.1/img/y_images_Citrus%20Degreaser%20Home%20Depot_0.jpg