PDA

View Full Version : lite weight rain jackets

bicycletricycle
06-11-2011, 10:30 AM
i want to get a nice lite weight rain jacket, the local shop has this pactimo-

http://www.pactimo.com/en-US/custom/categories/outerwear/genders/all/styles/c00090

i have had a crappy vinyl one in the past and it really sucked to wear, this one is a better feeling textured plastic that feels more like a textile.

anyone have any suggestions or experience with this pactimo?

dave thompson
06-11-2011, 10:44 AM
Not a direct answer but a recommendation. I've used an REI rain jacket for 3 seasons now, including a very wet 10 days in Germany and Austria, which has kept me quite dry. I don't know the model but it's very similar in weight to a Pearl Izumi Zephyrr jacket but it has a longer tail, pit zips, back pocket, flap over the zipper, cuffs can be made loose or tight, mesh inside for ventilation, high collar, everything that makes a good lightweight, easy stowable rain jacket.

I'd buy another one but my current jacket is still in very good shape!

DRietz
06-11-2011, 10:54 AM
In general, Pactimo quality really sucks.

merckx
06-11-2011, 11:06 AM
If you are looking for summer protection than you just need something to keep the chill off when the temperature drops as the rain falls. You are going to get wet no matter what you wear. I use an Assos Clima vest for this purpose. It provides enough rain repellancy and keeps my torso warm when the temp drops.

merckx
06-11-2011, 11:47 AM
If you are looking for something a little more robust, look at the Showers Pass offerings.

bicycletricycle
06-11-2011, 11:49 AM
The showers pass double century looks nice but i dont think that i could purchase something from a company that makes a saddle bag based hydration system.

sjbraun
06-11-2011, 12:12 PM
They make excellent rain gear. I survived 5+ hours in pouring rain at the Gran Fondo Colnago in San Diego in 2010. I stayed dry and didn't overheat.
At the time, I had the Showers Pass Club jacket, their low end model.
I lost it at a race this winter and replaced it with the more stowable, Double Century.

Showers Pass stuff is top notch.

PaMtbRider
06-11-2011, 03:38 PM
Depends on your priorities, The only pactimo wear I have is a jersey and it sucks. If staying dry is #1 priority it is hard to beat Shower's Pass. They are expensive and slightly heavier than some other options but offer the best combination of waterproofness, and breathability. I also have a Gore Alp-x jacket made of Gore-tex Paclite material. It packs smaller and is lighter weight than the Shower's Pass but is not as waterproof.

JLP
06-11-2011, 10:41 PM
The showers pass double century looks nice but i dont think that i could purchase something from a company that makes a saddle bag based hydration system.

I hear you, but they make the best rain jackets. They are standard issue of for all distance cyclists in the Northwet.

Oh, and the new light Showers Pass jacket packs up really small without sacrificing function.

stuckey
06-12-2011, 06:29 PM
Gore Oxygen

that guy
06-12-2011, 06:57 PM
Love my Endura Laser II. Highly recommended. Packs down to the size of a burrito.

christian
06-12-2011, 08:05 PM
My view is Showers Pass, or a cheapie vinyl one with the arms cut off mid-arm.

PaMtbRider
06-12-2011, 08:09 PM
We are on a tour of the finger lakes this week. It was raining this morning as cyclist were leaving the hotel. It looked like an ad for Shower's Pass jackets.