PDA

View Full Version : Need some info on a bike build

Jack Brunk
06-10-2011, 10:09 PM
OK.

I'm having a Hampsten Gran Paradiso butted Ti frame made for my specs. Bike will be dedicated fixed/SS with front and rear brakes. Ergott is building me a set of Edge 25mm wheels with a Paul flip flop hub in the rear. My question is what cranks should I go with up front? 172.5mm length. I was thinking White Industries Uno cranks 42 chain ring with a Paul Ti square BB. Thoughts?

Pete Serotta
06-10-2011, 10:38 PM
Both cranks are good. I have never heard of a weakness in stiffness with either and if chainrings specs work for you, it really depends on the size of smile on your face. Oldpotatoe would be a good source of information

Looking foward to seeing a picture and first ride impressions. Pete

bicycletricycle
06-10-2011, 10:45 PM
i would recommend the dura ace 7710 track crank, it is very stiff and plenty light, technically the paul hubs use a different chain line (44 instead of 42mm) but it still works well in my experience. The best match chain line wise is the pauls but i think that the best fixed cranks made are the DA.

Jack Brunk
06-10-2011, 11:20 PM
i would recommend the dura ace 7710 track crank, it is very stiff and plenty light, technically the paul hubs use a different chain line (44 instead of 42mm) but it still works well in my experience. The best match chain line wise is the pauls but i think that the best fixed cranks made are the DA.
Yep I have a new set of 165mm cranks in my garage. I need a set of 172.5's. The 165's were for a track bike that never happened. If anyone needs 165's their available.

How about other options?

Idris Icabod
06-10-2011, 11:37 PM
The WI Uno cranks are so pretty. That would be enough for me.

bicycletricycle
06-10-2011, 11:51 PM
those new velo orange TA cyclotourist cranks with the 50.4mm spider and a nice TA single ring, like this-

http://twoseriousbikes.blogspot.com/2010/10/definitive-answers-about-ta-track-crank.html

or maybe super record with the chainring on the inside and a carbon cyclocross bash ring on the outside?

130R
06-11-2011, 12:38 AM
Hi Jack,

I was not aware paul made bb's?

i think you mean phil wood?

IMO i wouldn't trust cnc aluminum for a crankset. CNC is great for stems, seatposts and derailuers, but the torque forces are perpendicular to the extrusion on cnc cranks. I'm not all for the idea.

I've seen white industries crack and snap. be safe! get a forged crankset if your going alu.

might I suggest a campy pista crankset?

mnoble485
06-11-2011, 07:59 AM
Hi Jack,

I was not aware paul made bb's?

i think you mean phil wood?

IMO i wouldn't trust cnc aluminum for a crankset. CNC is great for stems, seatposts and derailuers, but the torque forces are perpendicular to the extrusion on cnc cranks. I'm not all for the idea.

I've seen white industries crack and snap. be safe! get a forged crankset if your going alu.

might I suggest a campy pista crankset?

Rule #1. Jack is never wrong.

Rule#2. If jack is wrong see rule # 1

Mike :banana:

bigman
06-11-2011, 08:36 AM
check out these - both nice but very different.
FSA Gimondi
Truvativ Omnium

Ryun
06-11-2011, 08:54 AM
I think the white cranks are ok. I really prefer the sugino forged cranks FWIW.

Also I would check the crank length/BB drop since you'll be pedalling through all corners. I went a little shorter on the cranks than I would normally run on the road (although not track short) and a little higher bb for clearance. Ever little bit helps

mschol17
06-11-2011, 10:05 AM
I think the black Sugino 75's are the way to go.

Smiley
06-11-2011, 01:11 PM
check out these - both nice but very different.
FSA Gimondi
Truvativ Omnium
Truvativ gets my vote if weight is not a big deal :)

Scott Shire
06-11-2011, 01:14 PM
I always go back to the DA stuff.

I'm quite pleased with the Miche Advanced I run on the Cinelli, and I also love the Sugino Super Mighty, but that may have a lot to do with their name.

Jack Brunk
06-11-2011, 07:05 PM
Thanks guys now I'm debating taking my NJS stuff of the Nagasawa and using it on the Hampsten. I have no idea about the hub stuff. Ergott sent me the info and I may have screwed up what he said. Oh well it fun stuff.

AngryScientist
06-11-2011, 07:15 PM
it's not super blingy, but i now have many happy miles on my sram track crankset. outboard bearing bb (GXP). reasonably light and stiff, nice chainring. your gear is always super top shelf, but this crankset is reasonably priced and has proven to be a real reliable workhorse.

http://i1003.photobucket.com/albums/af153/aero_dynamic8/Picture098.jpg