PDA

View Full Version : Norfolk, VA

saab2000
06-22-2005, 09:24 PM
We have just found out that our third and probably final crew base choice will be in Norfolk, VA.

Anyone know anything about the area other than that there is a lot of US Navy activity there? Anyone ride there?

Just curious.

The decision will now have to be between Washington National, Philadelphia and Norfolk, VA.

musgravecycles
06-22-2005, 09:36 PM
If ya want some good ridding, head west to the Blue Ridge Parkway around the Charlottesville area...

flydhest
06-22-2005, 10:05 PM
I lived in Williamsburg for a while (as a professor at William and Mary, it's 35 minutes away without traffic) and my brother and sister-in-law lived in Norfolk (he was a professor at Old Dominion University). In all honesty, if your riding environment means anything to you, write off Norfolk right now. It's flat, crowded with suburbs (but no urban), disrespectful drivers vis a vis cyclists, and . . . well, no good riding.

Norfolk has some good things to recommend it, but if cycling matters . . . just say no.

D.C. easily trumps Norfolk for cycling (and for life in general). As you can see from the other thread, despite my intense loyalty to DC as a native, I think Philly might actually be your best choice.

dave thompson
06-22-2005, 10:33 PM
I spent some time last year in and around Norfolk while visiting my son at Dam Neck NMITC in Virginia Beach. That whole area is a huge conglomeration of communities crowded together, spread all over the place. Year 'round military folks (Hampton Roads general area) and the population explodes during the summer with tourists. Horrible traffic and the drivers aren't good either.

SGP
06-23-2005, 06:45 AM
"sailors & dogs keep off the grass"

saab2000
06-23-2005, 06:56 AM
Doesn't sound very good.....

Well, just thought I would throw it out there. I have heard dozens of great opinions with regards to Washington and Philadelphia.

I am currently leaning towards Washington DC, for professional reasons. This could all change though as we are allowed to move between bases fairly easily and I can live in Washington cheaply (for a while at my brother's house) so If I like it I can get my own cardboard box on the Mall or if I don't like it I can go to Philly.

Thanks again for all the opinions!

BigDaddySmooth
06-23-2005, 07:06 AM
Stay away. Being an ex-Squid, "dogs and sailors, keep off the grass" is very appropriate, as is the another saying about Norfork, Virginia...NoFv<*ing Vagi-- Too many boys, not enough girls :butt: . As far as cycling goes, all I remember is narrow shoulders, lots of traffic and crazy rebels seeing how close their pick-im up truck can come to hitting you. :no:

Lifelover
06-23-2005, 07:06 AM
I have lived here all my life (currently in Virginia Beach) and all the above statements are true.

That said, it really is a great place to live. Even better so if you have a family that includes young Kids.

If you do have kids plan to live in Virginia Beach or maybe Cheasapeake. The school systems are much better there. Va Bch maybe one of the better system in the state and thier dedicated schools for gifted kids are tops in the country.

All of Hampton Roads is minutes from the bay or the ocean. If you like to do coastal salt water fishing than the Bay bridge tunnel is considered one of the best locations on the east coast (the Keys excluded).

We are 3 hours from the Blue Ridge Parkway, 3 hours from DC, eastern shore, 30 minutes, outer banks 2 hours and have Williamsburg just around the corner.

If you are a history buff Tidewater is one of the most historic places in all of the US. First Landing, oldest shipyard, williamsburg, Civil war, Yorktown, blah, blah, blah

From a biking stand point it is not all that great. If you live in South Va Beach or parts of Cheasapeake you can ride from your house and be in the country (Pungo). This is where most of the groups ride. Flat as a pancake. If you want to get a feel for the level of rides google Tidewater Biking association. I think it is TBAriders.org. Active bunch with organized rides daily.

Our traffic can be ugly but it is NOWHERE even close to Philly or DC.

We have cold winters, hot summers and amazing springs and falls.

House prices have skyrocketed but agian not in the same league as DC or even Philly.

Good point above about the male/female thing. If you are single and looking for hot night live you won't get much action here.

Join the club!

flydhest
06-23-2005, 07:42 AM
lifelover,

Good descriptions. However, having spent more than what I consider my fair share of time at a standstill on 64 because of some f-up at the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel, I'll take DC traffic anyday. It might be a bit worse up here (of course, I bike to work everyday, so what do I care) but at least it seems a bit justified. I was always amazed at the congestion even though, the words of an immortal, "there's not there, there."

The chant of the goodie-two-shoes at Norfolk High . . . We don't drink, we don't smoke, Nofolk! Norfolk!*

*For those that don't get the joke . . . you have been mispronouncing the name of the city.

Lifelover
06-23-2005, 09:38 AM
lifelover,

Good descriptions. However, having spent more than what I consider my fair share of time at a standstill on 64 because of some f-up at the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel, I'll take DC traffic anyday. It might be a bit worse up here (of course, I bike to work everyday, so what do I care) but at least it seems a bit justified. .

Agreed that the HRB Tunnel can really be bad. I would also suggest to anyone moving here that where they live takes into consideration where they work and if possible the commute does not include a tunnel.

The chant of the goodie-two-shoes at Norfolk High . . . We don't drink, we don't smoke, Nofolk! Norfolk!*.
LOL I have not heard that in years

Lanny R. Levenson
06-23-2005, 01:19 PM
The ride from Pungo to Knots Island in NC is great. As said above, it's flat and there is usually wind one way. I've riden from the Waterside area while staying in Norfolk at several meetings and it's bad riding. The roads are highly traveled, with aggressive motorists, and bad surfaces. That said, there is a good bike shop in the area called Conte's. It's still family owned and not franchised like some of the other shops.

Lanny

From a biking stand point it is not all that great. If you live in South Va Beach or parts of Cheasapeake you can ride from your house and be in the country (Pungo). This is where most of the groups ride. Flat as a pancake. If you want to get a feel for the level of rides google Tidewater Biking association. I think it is TBAriders.org. Active bunch with organized rides daily.

BobC
06-23-2005, 01:39 PM
My boys and I ride here year round in Virginia Beach. No problem. Hot summers but mild winters. Perfect place for doing intervals. But no hills. WINDY, which once you are off the bike you appreciate. Lots of touring club activity and several racing teams. Tons o' Triathletes.

Not cycling heaven, but you could ALOT worse.

Lifelover
06-23-2005, 02:20 PM
My boys and I ride here year round in Virginia Beach. No problem. Hot summers but mild winters. Perfect place for doing intervals. But no hills. WINDY, which once you are off the bike you appreciate. Lots of touring club activity and several racing teams. Tons o' Triathletes.

Not cycling heaven, but you could ALOT worse.

Do you ride any of the TBA rides? Fat Frogs?

BobC
06-24-2005, 07:09 AM
TBA: I haven't seen many of the TBA rides, but they do rides that cover the spectrum of riding abilities.

Fat Frogs: I have seen their rides. Lots of folks. Very popular

Bottom Line: Virginia Beach Quality of Life is light years better than DC or Philly, and not just for the riding.

flydhest
06-24-2005, 08:48 AM
BobC,

I gotta protest, or at least point out that quality of life is soooooo dependent on what is valued. I've spent a bunch of time in Tidewater, from Williamsburg through the Beach and places in between. I could never, ever, see myself living there again. Food, culture, urban living, and such are high on my list (without getting into cycling). I was an academic for years and the colleges and universities in the area leave me a bit wanting (I was a prof at W&M and my oldest brother was a prof at ODU, so I have a bit of knowledge). The racial tensions, from my experience, are even worse than here in DC. Driving every single day seems to be a necessity.

Of course, for lots of people, what I want would make them go, "so what?"

marle
06-24-2005, 12:39 PM
I was visiting VBA last August and had a nice Saturday morning ride from the Virginia Beach courthouse into the country side --- 20 miles out, 20 miles back, flat and fast -- with the Tidewater Bike group.