PDA

View Full Version : Roval Rapide SL 45

gasman
06-10-2011, 06:56 PM
I have a chance to buy a pair of these wheels at a great price, really great. I rode a pair last year but only for a few miles on a demo bike. They seemed solid and easy rolling but who can tell with a 4 mile test ride on good bike?
Anybody have experience with these wheels ? Good, Bad ? How durable are these and would they only be race day wheels ?

regularguy412
06-10-2011, 09:47 PM
I am not positive, but I think I rode next to a guy on a brand new Tarmac with those wheels. If they are the same ones,, they are dang noisy. Sounded like every spoke in there was rattling against the carbon fairing. For all of the 64 miles -- I preferred to be in front, doing the pulling, so I wouldn't have to hear it.

Once again, not sure if they are the same wheels, but they do look similar.

Mike in AR:beer:

TAW
06-11-2011, 08:26 AM
I work at a Specialized shop, so we sell these pretty often. I have not noticed them to be noisy unless they have a SRAM cassette. ;) I think the 45s are a good depth, aero enough but yet not too much. They are reasonably light, and the hubs are not fantastic, but pretty smooth. The only "beef" I have with them is the spoke nipples on the inside of the rim which require you to pull the tire/tube/rim strip and also have the special tool to true the wheel. If you can get them at a good price, I wouldn't hesitate.

As far as durability, we have not had any issues.

regularguy412
06-11-2011, 10:26 AM
I work at a Specialized shop, so we sell these pretty often. I have not noticed them to be noisy unless they have a SRAM cassette. ;) I think the 45s are a good depth, aero enough but yet not too much. They are reasonably light, and the hubs are not fantastic, but pretty smooth. The only "beef" I have with them is the spoke nipples on the inside of the rim which require you to pull the tire/tube/rim strip and also have the special tool to true the wheel. If you can get them at a good price, I wouldn't hesitate.

Yep. You're correct. It was a complete SRAM Force group. Never considered it to dependent upon the group. Weird.

Mike in AR:beer:

gasman
06-11-2011, 03:44 PM

Thanks
Good info. I run Shimano so noise shouldn't be an issue and I only weigh about 160 and am pretty easy on my wheels so maybe they might fit the bill at a great price.

iRide
01-04-2013, 08:40 PM
I'm considering buying the 45s, whats the problem with the SRAM Groups? I'm on an Apex drivetrain.
Thanks

rnhood
01-05-2013, 05:18 AM
I don't know that all Sram cassettes (groups) are noisy, but my Red sure was. Its not dependent on the wheel, just sub par engineering. I understand the new editions are much better.

I had the predecessor Roval wheels and they were Ok. Not great but Ok. I did break a spoke after about 10K miles going up a steep climb. I currently have Dura Ace wheels and there is no comparison - the DA wheels are superb. Still, if the SL45's can be had at a good price then I would probably get them. They would be good for flatter terrain endeavors.

Dude
01-05-2013, 12:43 PM
I had them for about a year. I put maybe 1k miles on them as they shared road time with a few other wheelsets. Vertically - stiff as $h!t - like a bad stiff, not a "increase your performance" stiff. Fine on fast flat roads that are well maintained. Doing training crits they were fine but for longer rides...not so much. "Aero" sure, aero enough. I would notice a difference when I put my dt/velocity 32/3x wheels on, the Rapides would maintain my coasting speed a little longer and at the beginning of long descents, I would accelerate faster. Also, for what they were, they were lightish.

All in all, they are fine. Don't pay more than $6-700 for them. Otherwise, you can get a much better hand built that will ride better.

Can't speak to the noise issue - never had any problems.

gasman
01-05-2013, 08:14 PM
Since iRide dug up this thread I thought I'd reply.
Since i have a bunch of wheels these probably have only gotten a bit north of 1K riding distance. They work great in crits, aero enough but not so much that sidewind bothers me. Worked great in a team triathalon I did with some college buddies, managed to average 22.5 mph for 40 K using just clip-on bars and an aero helmet. They are maybe a bit stiff for long rides but the difference for me was not significant.
So, for $300 I am very happy with what I got.

oldpotatoe
01-06-2013, 07:41 AM
I'm considering buying the 45s, whats the problem with the SRAM Groups? I'm on an Apex drivetrain.
Thanks

Just warrantied my 30th sram lever(force-wee 'fork' broken-2012 lever)...not bad groups if you
-use a shimano cogset
-use a shimano chain
-use a shimano FD
-have a good LBS that will warranty sram

He asked, so I answered..don't you-all get all sweated up.

TAW
01-06-2013, 02:56 PM
Just warrantied my 30th sram lever(force-wee 'fork' broken-2012 lever)...not bad groups if you
-use a shimano cogset
-use a shimano chain
-use a shimano FD
-have a good LBS that will warranty sram

He asked, so I answered..don't you-all get all sweated up.

I might add to use Shimano shifters and rear der and you should be all set. :p