PDA

View Full Version : New bike

mcteague
06-09-2011, 10:23 AM
Okay, it's got a motor but I'm not likely to replace my Seven Axiom any time soon. 2011 Triumph Street Triple.

Tim

Ken Robb
06-09-2011, 10:52 AM
It's the first one I've seen with the front wheel on the ground. :beer:

MattTuck
06-09-2011, 10:53 AM
Why didn't you go with a compact double? :rolleyes:

wooly
06-09-2011, 10:55 AM
That thing is awesome. Back in 93' I had a Norton Commando. Miss that thing.

keevon
06-09-2011, 11:27 AM
I've never understood the allure of riding motorcycles...

...but that second photo is beginning to help me understand :cool:

rice rocket
06-09-2011, 11:29 AM
Nice! Glad they didn't update the baby Triple yet, the new Speed Triple one is...interesting.

djg
06-09-2011, 11:32 AM
Cool. Ride safe man.

avalonracing
06-09-2011, 11:42 AM
Nice. I considered one of them but I just get get over the way that Triumph does the two bug-eyed headlights. I dig two lights but I just don't get that.

Ride safely!

Gummee
06-09-2011, 11:49 AM
I've never understood the allure of riding motorcycles...

...but that second photo is beginning to help me understand :cool:MCs are big bicycles. They go faster, farther, and with less effort. You get the same feeling of cornering, descending, etc. Maybe even more-so since there's bigger contact patches and you can lean farther and hit it harder.

...and the noise... It doesn't hafta be loud, but that triple especially makes a sweet sound.

They do not, however, do anything for the roll round yer middle. DAMHIK

M

dancinkozmo
06-09-2011, 12:09 PM
...well done sir !
...one of the prettier bikes ive seen lately :)

mcteague
06-09-2011, 12:17 PM
A few years ago, when I first saw a Speed Triple, I thought those bug-eye lights were hideous. Over time I came to view them as iconic of Triumph. For 2012 they have revised them to a bulging slanty eye look. That is one of the reasons I went for a 2011, plus I got a good deal.

This is the first motorcycle I really fell in love with. The ride is almost alive. The firm suspension, short wheelbase and light weight (416 lbs ready to ride) can make for a choppy ride on bad roads but the thing is a blast most of the time.

The only problem is finding time to ride my bicycle AND motorcycle on weekends.

Tim

Nooch
06-09-2011, 12:19 PM
flip the stem and loose the mirrors, lest ye be a fred!

j/k, great bike, the mechanic at the shop i work at has the same bike.. he's left some nice patches of rubber in front!

avalonracing
06-09-2011, 12:36 PM
light weight (416 lbs ready to ride)

416lbs
Now THAT I like! I sold my great VFR800 to get a BMW F800S just because I wanted a lighter bike. But your bike is lighter still.

Hey wait, I just noticed that you are in MD too. Maybe we should ride some Ti bikes or motorbikes one day... if this early June 100ºF heat breaks.
Feel free to PM me sometime about riding.

Hawker
06-09-2011, 12:43 PM
The only problem is finding time to ride my bicycle AND motorcycle on weekends.

Tim

Been there brother. My wife calls it, "the collision of the hobbies". After ten years I finally got rid of my motorcycles...and the withdrawal was tough. However, I needed to pay attention to my cholesterol and the MC didn't help in that regard.

Gorgeous machine, enjoy and ride safe.

rice rocket
06-09-2011, 01:14 PM
However, I needed to pay attention to my cholesterol and the MC didn't help in that regard.

Not riding hard enough. :D

biker72
06-09-2011, 01:20 PM
Been there brother. My wife calls it, "the collision of the hobbies". After ten years I finally got rid of my motorcycles...and the withdrawal was tough. However, I needed to pay attention to my cholesterol and the MC didn't help in that regard.

Gorgeous machine, enjoy and ride safe.
I had the same problem... :)
Ride..eat...ride..eat...I didn't expend very many calories on any of my old BMW motorcycles. Last one was a 1987 K100RT. Sold it in 1993 with 70k miles on it.

Only 416 pounds for a bike that size is very light. Gorgeous indeed... :)

sbparker31
06-09-2011, 01:37 PM
It has been my experience that riding motorcycles makes me a better bicycler (decending skills anyway). Cornering at high speeds really helps you to carve turns better -- and after being on a motorcycle, being on a bike feels like time has slowed down.

PaMtbRider
06-09-2011, 01:41 PM
Excellent choice for a motorcycle. I had a Sprint RS and loved the triple motor. My wife sat on a street triple at the local dealer recently and couldn't believe how light it felt. She currently rides a 2007 GSXR 750 which isn't a pig at 436 lbs. wet. I could see a Street Triple in the garage in the future. I am undecided on the new headlights on the 2012 models. Have to wait and actually see one in person I guess.

rugbysecondrow
06-09-2011, 01:58 PM
Okay, it's got a motor but I'm not likely to replace my Seven Axiom any time soon. 2011 Triumph Street Triple.

Tim

Where is that photo taken in Maryland, looks like Owings Mills area.

Cheers
Paul

mcteague
06-09-2011, 02:09 PM
Where is that photo taken in Maryland, looks like Owings Mills area.

Cheers
Paul

Hydes, MD. A place called "Merryland Farm".
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=39.47694,-76.465008&aq=&sll=39.477132,-76.465981&sspn=0.013085,0.027874&ie=UTF8&ll=39.476734,-76.464908&spn=0.013499,0.027874&t=h&z=16

Tim

Gummee
06-09-2011, 03:17 PM
It has been my experience that riding motorcycles makes me a better bicycler (decending skills anyway). Cornering at high speeds really helps you to carve turns better -- and after being on a motorcycle, being on a bike feels like time has slowed down.Its absolutely amazing how much bigger roads are on a bicycle vs a moto when cornering.

I've blazed down roads I've never seen before because I've spent so much time on motos.

M

avalonracing
06-09-2011, 03:26 PM
Its absolutely amazing how much bigger roads are on a bicycle vs a moto when cornering.

I've blazed down roads I've never seen before because I've spent so much time on motos.

M

True.
I wish I was as comfortable all around on a moto as I am on a bike. In other words, I'll push my bicycles much closer to their limit than I'll push a motorbike.

christian
06-09-2011, 03:58 PM
I'll push my bicycles much closer to their limit than I'll push a motorbike.That's probably smart. I've yet to meet a bicycle that'll do 95 mph in the 39x25, or top out at 160 mph +.

avalonracing
06-09-2011, 04:08 PM
That's probably smart. I've yet to meet a bicycle that'll do 95 mph in the 39x25, or top out at 160 mph +.

To do 95mph on a bike you need at least a 53T on the front.

dancinkozmo
06-09-2011, 04:50 PM
... is that a 675cc like the daytona ?
...how would you say the seating position compares to a sportbike like say a cbr600rr (esp. legroom)?
...sold all my motos last year, but the itch is coming back !!

mcteague
06-09-2011, 05:50 PM
... is that a 675cc like the daytona ?
...how would you say the seating position compares to a sportbike like say a cbr600rr (esp. legroom)?
...sold all my motos last year, but the itch is coming back !!
The Street Triple is a Daytona with a tweaked engine, less hp up top in exchange for more torque down low. The R version of the Street has adjustable suspension and radial calipers but they were sold out. Most reports say the upgrade is useful primarily on the track.

With upright bars the riding position is sort of like mt bike. Much more comfortable than a repli-racer. With the low weight, torquey engine and leverage from the wide bars the thing can be thrown into corners unlike most race bikes. Leg room is good, but not great, still better than the typical race bike rearsets. On the track the commited race position makes sense, on the road....not so much.

Tim

soulspinner
06-09-2011, 06:34 PM
Your stems too short :rolleyes:

djg
06-09-2011, 07:02 PM
To do 95mph on a bike you need at least a 53T on the front.

and a cliff

Bob Loblaw
06-09-2011, 09:13 PM
I had the opposite experience. During a lull in my cycling career I got serious about riding motorcycles fast...I went and did some track schools, a bunch of track days, and it absolutely ruined me for descending on the bike.

Motorcycle riding at speed is brakes, gas, lots of body position changes, trying to make transitions fluid but fast, trying to manage lean angle and throttle on corner exits. Since motorcycles like to accelerate through corners, corner entry speeds are low, and the fast line through a given corner normally means hitting a late apex.

By contrast, bicycles are all about momentum conservation, carrying as much speed as possible into and through each corner, meaning high entry speed and an earlier apex.

So it took me a while to relearn the technique of riding a bike down hill fast...not to mention the unnerving sensations associated with going from a 400 lbs motorcycle with wide tires, disc brakes and full leathers to being effectively naked on a spindly contraption with a tire contact patch about the size of your thumbprint.

BL

It has been my experience that riding motorcycles makes me a better bicycler (decending skills anyway). Cornering at high speeds really helps you to carve turns better -- and after being on a motorcycle, being on a bike feels like time has slowed down.

soulspinner
06-10-2011, 06:04 AM
I want an 800 Ducatti monster. 360 pounds 80 plus ponies. Enuff for this ol cyclist...........

LegendRider
06-10-2011, 06:29 AM
I want an 800 Ducatti monster. 360 pounds 80 plus ponies. Enuff for this ol cyclist...........

Sounds like there are some experienced motorcyclists here. I have the itch to take the MSF course and buy a 250cc supermoto for cruising around town. However, the safety issue is a big concern.

Ken Robb
06-10-2011, 10:03 AM
Sounds like there are some experienced motorcyclists here. I have the itch to take the MSF course and buy a 250cc supermoto for cruising around town. However, the safety issue is a big concern.

I feel a LOT safer on my Ducati wearing protective clothing than I do on my bicycles on the same roads.

I would skip the 250 and get something like a 400cc Suzuki. They weigh about the same and the extra power makes freeway riding much better and the engine will last longer due to fewer revolutions per mile.