PDA

View Full Version : Help me select spokes please

phcollard
06-08-2011, 06:56 PM
Hi folks.

So I'm attempting to build my second set of wheels. I've got on the way a pair of Kinlin XR300 24/28 with extralight hubs from bikehubstore.com

I'm 175 lbs and usually gentle on stuff but Montreal is pothole paradise.

I was thinking I would go Sapim Laser 2-cross (2.0-1.5-2.0mm) all the way but I'm guessing this might not be a great idea to use light spokes? I see Reynolds use on some of their models a heavier gauge on the rear drive side for instance... so what do you think?

Thanks for your help! :beer:

echappist
06-08-2011, 07:42 PM
i'd personally go with 2.0-1.8-2.0 on the rear. Maybe you can even get away with some fancy CX-Ray/Aerolites on the front.

oldpotatoe
06-09-2011, 07:18 AM
Hi folks.

So I'm attempting to build my second set of wheels. I've got on the way a pair of Kinlin XR300 24/28 with extralight hubs from bikehubstore.com

I'm 175 lbs and usually gentle on stuff but Montreal is pothole paradise.

I was thinking I would go Sapim Laser 2-cross (2.0-1.5-2.0mm) all the way but I'm guessing this might not be a great idea to use light spokes? I see Reynolds use on some of their models a heavier gauge on the rear drive side for instance... so what do you think?

Thanks for your help! :beer:

Keep away from '3 strikes and you are out'. Thin spokes, not many spokes, light rim.

Do Race spokes rear, both sides, laced 3 cross, inside pulling(also called 'heads out lacing) and then Laser front, laced 2 cross. Use brass nipps as a non eyeleted rim can cut aluminum nipps.

phcollard
06-09-2011, 07:32 AM
Keep away from '3 strikes and you are out'. Thin spokes, not many spokes, light rim.

Do Race spokes rear, both sides, laced 3 cross, inside pulling(also called 'heads out lacing) and then Laser front, laced 2 cross. Use brass nipps as a non eyeleted rim can cut aluminum nipps.

Thanks Peter. I had already noted from your previous thread that I should go brass nipples. Always remember tips from a master :)

But I also noted - if my memory serves me well - that you said 3 cross is not needed for 28 spokes?

oldpotatoe
06-09-2011, 07:37 AM
Thanks Peter. I had already noted from your previous thread that I should go brass nipples. Always remember tips from a master :)

But I also noted - if my memory serves me well - that you said 3 cross is not needed for 28 spokes?

On light rims and a 'not featherlight' rider, I will build 28h rear 3 cross for added strength but will lace inside pulling so even tho the spoke overlaps the flange more, the spoke that gets 'tighter', the pulling spoke, is on the inside of the flange so doesn't get bent/tweaked as much.

BUT in a perfect world, I would have done 32 spoke rear and 28 spoke front for a 175 pound rider riding in 'pothole world', using those rims. 8 spokes weigh about 60 grams, an couple of ounces, but are stronger than 24/28h, all things being equal.

phcollard
06-09-2011, 07:43 AM
On light rims and a 'not featherlight' rider, I will build 28h rear 3 cross for added strength but will lace inside pulling so even tho the spoke overlaps the flange more, the spoke that gets 'tighter', the pulling spoke, is on the inside of the flange so doesn't get bent/tweaked as much.

BUT in a perfect world, I would have done 32 spoke rear and 28 spoke front for a 175 pound rider riding in 'pothole world', using those rims. 8 spokes weigh about 60 grams, an couple of ounces, but are stronger than 24/28h, all things being equal.

Thanks again Peter, sounds like good advice!

sbparker31
06-09-2011, 08:44 AM

Is there much difference between 4x (Keirin style) lacing and standard 3x on a 36 hole track wheel? I'm going to rebuild my wheels soon and have been thinking about this. (BTW, hubs are Campy Hi Flange Track and rims are Mavic Reflex)

oldpotatoe
06-09-2011, 09:30 AM
Is there much difference between 4x (Keirin style) lacing and standard 3x on a 36 hole track wheel? I'm going to rebuild my wheels soon and have been thinking about this. (BTW, hubs are Campy Hi Flange Track and rims are Mavic Reflex)

Wouldn't do 4 cross 36h on large flange. Spokes will sit onto the other spoke heads. Do 3 cross and tie and solder...

tv_vt
06-09-2011, 01:07 PM
Sorry about thread drift here, but I've been wondering about spoke choice, too - with 32H hubs f/r, HED C2 Belgian clincher rims, have been thinking about using CX-Ray spokes 3x front and rear, or maybe DT Revolutions 3x all-around, or Revos up front and non-drive side rear with double butted 14/15 on the drive side.

I'd use the CX-Rays - only down side is cost at $3/spoke. I'm 180.

Comments?