PDA

View Full Version : Cycling vs (name your other hobbie) - how do you choose your first position?

wooly
06-08-2011, 03:41 PM
I've been cycling consistently for the last 12 years with the exception of two years (2008 & 2009). I had been riding a lot, finished my last century of the year and intended to take a "short" break - which turned out to be 2 years. During that time I re-learned how to surf. Since I live on the coast in Southern Cal I can surf year round and enjoy doing so. But since getting back on the bike last year, I find myself debating whether I should ride or surf. Having three sons, a wife and owning my own business personal time is at a premium. Over the last 6 months, I've fallen back in love with riding and find myself riding more, even if the surf and weather are nice.

Do you guys/gals face the same decisions? How do you choose?

Nooch
06-08-2011, 03:43 PM
Unfortunately my hobbies are Riding and Sleeping. I can never seem to get enough of either, and it's a constant struggle over which one takes precedence in my life.

Eating and Drinking, thankfully, still fall behind those two. Actually, maybe not drinking. Maybe it's a three way tie..

rugbysecondrow
06-08-2011, 03:55 PM
No real formula. Kids, wife, work...everything else files in. I try to ride 3 times a week with one ride of at least 30 miles. I run twice, lift weights 4, swim once. My wife and I both do triathlons, so we just fit it in. Sometimes it is a blur. :)

As for other hobbies, I used to SCUBA, but that is a passive hobbie now, same with windsurfing and skiing.

MattTuck
06-08-2011, 03:57 PM
Well, I'm going to be honest with you, and tell you where you went wrong.

I don't have much sympathy, given that you live in SoCal and can do both of your hobbies year round, without too much hassle. You see, your problem is that you've got two hobbies that both require the same things: energy, decent weather, good health, etc.

You'd be better off with cycling and a hobby that you can do sitting on your ass, at night, when you're tired... becoming a wine snob, bonsai tree sculptor, film buff, competitive onlooker, cheese maker are just a few of the many potential hobbies that could complement your cycling (or surfing).

On a more serious note, I'd just look at the two activities, figure out what each on provides for you, and decide where fits as a priority for your life. If cycling and surfing provide the same thing to you, then I'd say you're lucky and have the ability to choose which ever is convenient. If the waves are good, you surf! if the roads are good, you ride.

wooly
06-08-2011, 03:59 PM
Well, I'm going to be honest with you, and tell you where you went wrong.

I don't have much sympathy, given that you live in SoCal and can do both of your hobbies year round, without too much hassle. You see, your problem is that you've got two hobbies that both require the same things: energy, decent weather, good health, etc.

You'd be better off with cycling and a hobby that you can do sitting on your ass, at night, when you're tired... becoming a wine snob, bonsai tree sculptor, film buff, competitive onlooker, cheese maker are just a few of the many potential hobbies that could complement your cycling (or surfing).

On a more serious note, I'd just look at the two activities, figure out what each on provides for you, and decide where fits as a priority for your life. If cycling and surfing provide the same thing to you, then I'd say you're lucky and have the ability to choose which ever is convenient. If the waves are good, you surf! if the roads are good, you ride.

DUDE that was funny. Problem is my wife says I make/cut cheese every night.

biker72
06-08-2011, 04:07 PM
My cycling isn't really a hobby but more of a lifestyle. At almost 73 years old it's imperative that I keep active. Cycling is fun and keeps me going. On bad weather days I can go to the local gym and do weights, treadmill, stationary bike...etc. Walking outside is OK but cycling is better.

I'd much rather be cycling....even in this #$*!/ heat. :)

wooly
06-08-2011, 04:10 PM
yeah - I struggled with calling it a hobby as well but wasn't creative enough to come up with another term.

JMerring
06-08-2011, 04:12 PM
i have a similar dilemma with golf (and a wife, job and young kids). the fact that golf costs more, takes much more time, and my golfing buddies are mostly complete hackers, whereas cycling costs next to nothing, can be done very early and relatively quickly, and solo or with groups of competitive cyclists, means that cycling has been winning the past couple years. that doesn't mean you won't find me swinging an imaginary club many times almost every day, or a real one while walking the dog (admittedly, my vaunted short game isn't what it once was).

FlashUNC
06-08-2011, 04:13 PM

Then my other hobby -- comic collecting -- is terribly complementary.

rugbysecondrow
06-08-2011, 05:11 PM
i have a similar dilemma with golf (and a wife, job and young kids). the fact that golf costs more, takes much more time, and my golfing buddies are mostly complete hackers, whereas cycling costs next to nothing, can be done very early and relatively quickly, and solo or with groups of competitive cyclists, means that cycling has been winning the past couple years. that doesn't mean you won't find me swinging an imaginary club many times almost every day, or a real one while walking the dog (admittedly, my vaunted short game isn't what it once was).

HA, so funny that I forgot golf. I have almost given up golf because of the time commitment. A golf afternoon with the fellas weekly is just not doable for me anymore. Time flies huh? Thanks

wooly
06-08-2011, 05:21 PM
Agreed. Golf is great but it's a 5 hour commitment when you consider the 19th hole! I can't commit that but can commit to an early morning, 2-3 hour ride or surf. I always tell myself I'll take golf up when I get older... But wait a second...! :eek:

InspectorGadget
06-08-2011, 05:25 PM
Living in the mountains at 6600 ft, I ski in the winter and ride bikes in the summer. I know people that ride all winter, but if it's that cold I will be skiing.

Both Snowbasin and Snowbird are open for skiing this weekend. Snowbird will likely be open on the weekends through a July 4th. Maybe I'll ride over and make some turns.

rugbysecondrow
06-08-2011, 05:27 PM
Agreed. Golf is great but it's a 5 hour commitment when you consider the 19th hole! I can't commit that but can commit to an early morning, 2-3 hour ride or surf. I always tell myself I'll take golf up when I get older... But wait a second...! :eek:

Agreed, I am a 3-4 time a year golfer now.

Ray
06-08-2011, 05:51 PM
You just have to go with your gut. There's so much stuff we HAVE TO do in our day to day lives, our fun stuff, our recreation, really ought to be something that turns us on or else its not really serving its purpose. I've had various obsessive hobbies/activities over the years, usually one that was sports related and one that wasn't. In the past I've been pretty into tennis, sort of into golf, was a full time ski bum (and waiter and lift operator) for a few years, was somewhat into running and yoga and even got into lifting weights for a bit. Non-sports related included guitars, collecting live music recordings, photography, got into computers for a few years back when they were kind of new, followed the Grateful Dead for an occasional long weekend, etc, etc, etc. And the only way those hobbies came and went was because my interest in them grew, peaked, waned, and then died (to varying extents - I still hold onto vestiges of a few). I've been hard core into riding for about 15 years but its waning in the past couple of years and I was afraid it might be dying this year, but I've finally had a couple of rides that were good enough that at the end of the ride I was looking forward to the next one instead of just being wasted and glad it was over. So we'll see. And now I've rekindled my old photography thing in a bigger way than I ever did when I was a kid. And I have an amazing darkroom in my computer that I never had as a kid - always had to find one to use somewhere at a school or beg for lab time somewhere.

If you have riding and surfing and surfing was pulling at you for a couple of years and you neglected your riding and now riding is pulling at you and neglecting surfing, I don't see a problem with this picture. You're doing what you're loving doing at the time. It can change - that all sounds like a good thing!

-Ray

Vientomas
06-08-2011, 05:57 PM
Seasonal. Winter: back country skiing. Spring, Summer and Fall: Cycling (road and mountain) and windsurfing in the Columbia River Gorge. All good fun at the appropriate time and conditions.

binxnyrwarrsoul
06-08-2011, 06:03 PM
OK, I don't want to sound like a noob, but what is a competitve onlooker?

alexstar
06-08-2011, 06:07 PM
Cycling takes precedence. I suppose I'm lucky because my other hobbies are reading and watching movies - both things I can do on the couch when I'm wasted from a long ride. It works well :beer:

billythekid
06-08-2011, 07:45 PM
I like to ride bikes and play guitar. Fortunately they compliment eachother nicely. Ride all day then play all night.

MattTuck
06-08-2011, 07:45 PM
OK, I don't want to sound like a noob, but what is a competitve onlooker?

It just came to me, not sure what it means. When I was young, and my mom told us to do something, like clean the living room, my dad would always say, "you clean that up, I'll do the heavy lookin' on"

As to comic book collecting, any cross over? Maybe they'll come out with the red lantern if the green lantern is a success!

Hawker
06-08-2011, 08:23 PM
Hard core birdwatching (really), motorcycles (glad I didn't die, but very hard to give up) and drumming (my first career). Oh yea, I have a Miata.

Dekonick
06-08-2011, 08:34 PM
Cycling - when time, weather, work, and family permit. Lifting - 3x week at a minimum. I just really like it and you can do it in any weather. Only need an hour for a crap workout, and 3 for a good one:)

Fishing - a true passion but serious time and weather issues combine to make it a quarterly event.

Kids and family - always THE priority. :hello:

:)

Used to do martial arts, but I just can't find any schools that work with my schedule. My old Sensai has a degenerative neurological disorder... Sad to see an 6th degree black belt stuck in a motorized Jazzi... at least his other passion is painting. He now has lots of time to paint. Here is an example of his work in a book he illustrated. http://connect.in.com/ron-klinger/images-credit-painting-by-ron-klinger-from-kays-and-wilsons-mammals-of--1-921709184953.html

vsefiream
06-08-2011, 09:22 PM
I have just dove head first back into cycling after a 15 year hiatus. In that time I was and still am an old car buff, mostly '70s stuff. Where I am from, the car and the bike compete for the same summer free time slot behind my wife, family and house upkeep. I have commited to ride my bike to work at least two days a week, maybe three later and a weekend ride. The nice thing is that the ride is only 30 minutes longer than the commute by car. I get my workout, play with the kids and work on the Trans Am a bit on the weekends. Dunno if I'll ever get this car done but that's part of the journey right?? Did I mention that summer brings out the kids Power Wheels and dad loves to modify those too :no: My wife says I have too many hobbies and that I am her first kid.
During the winter it's slot cars and electronics cuz it's ugly outside!!

MattTuck
06-08-2011, 09:35 PM

Can you share your secret? :rolleyes:

kohlboto
06-08-2011, 09:57 PM
Wakesurfing in July and August has really bitten into riding time over the past three summers...that, and a house renovation.
This summer it's going to be, in order of priority: Family, Bike, Surf, Wine, Single Malt...

Fixed
06-08-2011, 10:04 PM
my hobbies music, swimming ,running, weights ..
cheers

Tony
06-08-2011, 10:07 PM
Ocean rockgardening/Kayaking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYXdT_3IGS8

Jeff N.
06-08-2011, 10:25 PM
Cycling and target (handgun, mostly Colt .45 Auto) shooting. Haven't been out to the range in a month or so though. Riding never stops. Jeff N.

roydyates
06-08-2011, 10:58 PM
Hard core birdwatching (really), motorcycles (glad I didn't die, but very hard to give up) and drumming (my first career). Oh yea, I have a Miata.
I've heard that the hard core birdwatching can get really raunchy. :)

Fivethumbs
06-08-2011, 11:17 PM
I've actually had a very similar experience. I live in SoCal and took a hiatus from road biking and would surf at least once a week. If there was a swell maybe two or three days in a row. Unfortunately, the crowds got to be just too much and started taking the fun out of it. So I took out my old Bottecchia and started riding again. Now when I go road biking and I see people out there, it actually makes it more fun.

jr59
06-08-2011, 11:40 PM
Bikes and Motorcycles.

I live with no car, but 4 bikes, and 3 motorcycles.

And I like it that way!

But mostly the MC's don't get ridden. It's been a while since I even started them. Hmmm..... maybe a project for this weekend. After I ride the bicycle of course.

onekgguy
06-09-2011, 12:51 AM
I've been working with stained glass for 19 years and during that time I developed a fascination for glassblowing but never took the time to indulge myself in the art until last year. My bike is actually seeing less time with me now because of it but my wife and I are learning the art together so we're spending more time together which we both like.

Gardening and blogging are my other two interests.

Kevin g

Ti-Boy
06-09-2011, 05:35 AM
In December 2009 I crashed my bike resulting in a broken hip. That led me to pursue a long latent desire to learn guitar. Got a guitar to pass the time and immobility. No talent, but love playing the guitar. Now (like billlythekid), I ride all day and play guitar all night.

LesMiner
06-09-2011, 07:11 AM
Living where the winter can be very long, I do woodworking and make furniture as an alternate recreation. That is an indoor activity. Not so physical as mental exercise. To keep fit and to get time to do biking, I keep a schedule. I go to group fitness classes in the off season which I put into the work calendar so I organize my time to do the class. I became a Ride Leader in the bike club where I schedule group rides and also put that into the work calendar. For biking I schedule a weekday, a Saturday every weekend, and a century a month. So last year I did 6 centuries. Without scheduling and organizing my time I doubt I could that much biking in.

jblande
06-09-2011, 07:35 AM
My cycling isn't really a hobby but more of a lifestyle. At almost 73 years old it's imperative that I keep active. Cycling is fun and keeps me going. On bad weather days I can go to the local gym and do weights, treadmill, stationary bike...etc. Walking outside is OK but cycling is better.

I'd much rather be cycling....even in this #$*!/ heat. :)

respect

seriously

Jeff N.
06-09-2011, 07:39 AM
respect

seriously
Absolutely. Jeff N.

Jeff N.
06-09-2011, 07:41 AM

I'd much rather be cycling....even in this #$*!/ heat. :)I pretty much feel the same way and I'm sixty-two.

veloduffer
06-09-2011, 08:56 AM

Same here with golf. I was off the bike for about 11 yrs (not completely off but close) whilst playing golf. I sold most of my bikes except two. My golf game improved from my beginner days and I enjoy the challenge of improving my game. Plus I have a few golf buddies and when we play there's lots of gambling, unsporting behaviour (trash talking during swing) and laughs.

The cycling bug bit again last year, as I fell into a group of local guys that are my age and have similar family/work time pressures. Our rides are generally quick pace through lots of hills but limited to 40 miles max; mostly 25-30 mile length rides. And now my stable is back to 7 bikes (thanks to some forumites).

Golf has dropped to once or twice a month. Luckily I have availability to play 9 holes at courses close to the house. I did have a fun experience of playing with two elderly gentlemen (62+ yrs old) on the first tee off time on a local course. It's a short course of about 5700 yds but always in pristine condition and somewhat challenging (tiered greens, water hazards, doglegs). We played ready golf (walking, not riding) and picked up after two putts. We finished an 18 hole round in 2hrs & 15 minutes. We were on the 9th tee box while the next group behind was on hole #4.

Until I retire and my kid goes to college, I figure that time constraints will keep me at playing mediocre golf and mediocre bicycle fitness. :help:

Gummee
06-09-2011, 11:57 AM
I lived in Sandy Eggo for about a decade. Always swore I'd learn to surf.

Never did.

Training for and racing at the track were mutually time exclusive.

My other hobby is just as expensive as bicycling can be: reef aquaria. I had the equivalent of a Red-equipped Tarmac in my living room in Sandy Eggo... Can't wait till I can afford to set up another one!

M

Hawker
06-09-2011, 12:57 PM
I've heard that the hard core birdwatching can get really raunchy. :)

Easy there. Believe it or not, there are TWO birdwatching (we call it "birding") movies coming out this fall. The first one stars Steve Martin, Jack Black and Owen Wilson and its called The Big Year, based on a book by the same name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Year