PDA

View Full Version : ***?!? Shipping - $100 to ship wheels and frame!

Dekonick
06-08-2011, 03:16 PM
Something has to give...

I just shipped a frame in a cut down box - didn't weigh much, but was over 85" so I got hammered...

$70 to ship the frame! USPS wanted another $60 for wheels... I told them to pound sand... UPS did it for $30 (35 with insurance)

This is absolutely absurd. I remember when you could easily ship a bike for $40 or so...

And that was only a couple of years ago!

:mad:

rugbysecondrow
06-08-2011, 03:20 PM
Fed ex is the best value in shipping. Fair prices, fast shippng and a tracking number. UPS beats up the packages too much.

Cantdog
06-08-2011, 03:22 PM
I wish it was more standardized. I just shipped insured wheels to Denmark priority not long ago via USPS and it was 40$.

cmg
06-08-2011, 03:31 PM
did you ship USPS parcel post? that is the lowest rate and it will take the longest time to get from side of the country to the other without the ability to track. also the box has to be fairly strong as to no telling what kind of abuse it's going to recieve but it is the cheapest. you can also ship the wheels in another cut down box just set them in diagonal slots in the box.

dancinkozmo
06-08-2011, 04:08 PM
....fedex is the best option imho....i think if the length+girth of the pkg. is more than 130" its deemed 'oversize' and theres a 50 dollar surcharge

bart998
06-08-2011, 06:51 PM
Just paid 50$ plus $20 insurance to ship a Ti frame to Tenn from CA. UPS has raised its rates...

false_Aest
06-08-2011, 07:00 PM
Sorry bro but . . .

Ya'll have been b!tch!n about shipping rates since I joined the forum in 2007 or 2008.

I'm pretty sure that ya'll were bˆtch™n about it before that.

SUX.

But not as much as driving the stupid thing across the country yourself.

oldfatslow
06-08-2011, 09:15 PM
That may have been the best price but if you got it at a UPS store realize they are independently owned and set their own prices for shipping.

I've had good luck setting up an account at FedEx.com, plugging my stuff in an printing out labels, and then dropping at FedEx Office (Kinko's).

Great service and very reasonable prices for ground. Shipping my hard bike box ground is usually 80-100 bucks (50lbs of bike, stuff, and hard box).

Dekonick
06-08-2011, 10:03 PM
That may have been the best price but if you got it at a UPS store realize they are independently owned and set their own prices for shipping.

I've had good luck setting up an account at FedEx.com, plugging my stuff in an printing out labels, and then dropping at FedEx Office (Kinko's).

Great service and very reasonable prices for ground. Shipping my hard bike box ground is usually 80-100 bucks (50lbs of bike, stuff, and hard box).

No - US Postal, and then STAPLES. The bad part is my whole package, including wheels (packed separately) weighs - oh - what... less than 20 pounds WITH all of the bubble wrap, peanuts, tape, cardboard, more cardboard, etc...

$100 for that is a lot of dough to go from Maryland to Ct.

:help:

I just hope the CSI gets a LOT of use!

Jeff N.
06-08-2011, 10:29 PM
Fed ex is the best value in shipping. Fair prices, fast shippng and a tracking number. UPS beats up the packages too much.
Very true.

rugbysecondrow
06-09-2011, 05:54 AM
No - US Postal, and then STAPLES. The bad part is my whole package, including wheels (packed separately) weighs - oh - what... less than 20 pounds WITH all of the bubble wrap, peanuts, tape, cardboard, more cardboard, etc...

:help:

I just hope the CSI gets a LOT of use!

It cost that much just to go to CT? I bet fed ex would have been about 35 for the frame and 20 for the wheels.

victoryfactory
06-09-2011, 06:56 AM

1. The Book UPS and Fedex rates are pretty much the same.
If you are getting different rates it is due to the reseller/store you are shipping with.

2. UPS and Fedex bill on package size not weight for large boxes like bikes.
the "dimensional" weight (their term) is calculated: LxWxH divided by 166= wt
Package goes by whichever is higher, Dim or actual Wt.
If one shipping store is a lot less it is often due to the clerk not knowing the rules. Take advantage of it when it happens.
And remember a full size bike box may invoke their hideous $50. Oversize
Surcharge Plus automatic 90 lbs rate!! So make sure your box is under 130" length plus girth (another
archaic measurement that is calculated by measuring around the box and adding
the length.)

2a: Watch the bulge! If your box bulges in the middle (common on large
boxes) the reader will come up with a larger size that you, and charge you a
penalty rate. yes.

3. UPS and Fedex both have a secret fuel surcharge that they add to every
package. currently its about 8% for ground and over 20% for air, recalculated
monthly.

4. If you insure for big bucks, you pay more.

5. In my experience, UPS does get more damage recently due to their
automatic machine handling system. Here at VF our motto is "they will throw it, so pack it accordingly"

6. Stickers like "fragile""handle with care""this end up" etc HAVE NO MEANING
to the laser readers at the depot.

7. In addition to the hidden fuel surcharge and oversize charges, they have
also been raising the basic rates every January for the last 10 years by ~5%

8. Oh yeah... If the second longest side of any box is over 30", that gets
an $8.00 surcharge (bike shippers beware) I'm not making this up.

9. they also charge a couple bucks for an "adult" signature and $3.00 extra to
a residential address.

10. UPS has recently shifted their claims to an insurance company in Texas.
That means, like any insurance company, they will due anything they can to
delay and avoid paying by claiming that your box was improperly
packed.

So after getting their asses kicked every week on their shipping bills due to all of the
nonsense mentioned above, many shipping stores have bumped up their rates
accordingly.

Had enough?
I thought so...

Happy shipping in 2011, this is not your father's UPS!

VF

avalonracing
06-09-2011, 07:49 AM
Nice post VF. Thanks! :beer:

SEABREEZE
06-09-2011, 08:12 AM

AGREE !!!

aosty
06-11-2011, 01:58 AM
For oversize packages such as frames and wheels, I find FedEx Ground to be the best value for domestic shipments and, believe it or not, USPS for overseas as International Priority Mail doesn't have an extra surcharge for frame/wheel size packages.

thenewguy11
06-29-2011, 04:12 PM
This has been beaten to death I suppose but I'm frustrated. I'm doing Seattle-to-Portland next weekend and thought shipping my bike would be less hassle than flying with it, plus United charges $100 for a bike anyway. So I read around and it looks like Fedex is the way to go. I'm using a very basic Colorado Cyclist box, which comes in at 37 lbs all packed up. But it measures 40x10x45, which thanks to victoryfactory, I now know translates into 145" length plus girth which puts it into the "Oversize 3" category. That adds a $50 surcharge and brings the cost to ship the bike to $170.

I have to ship another buddy's bike as well and his came out to $140 - so over $300 for two bikes. I then tried the UPS Store because it was across the street and they quoted me almost $190 for my bike. I just can't bring myself to pay it so I'm most likely going to wrestle them around the airport instead.

cmg
06-29-2011, 04:24 PM
This has been beaten to death I suppose but I'm frustrated. I'm doing Seattle-to-Portland next weekend and thought shipping my bike would be less hassle than flying with it, plus United charges $100 for a bike anyway. So I read around and it looks like Fedex is the way to go. I'm using a very basic Colorado Cyclist box, which comes in at 37 lbs all packed up. But it measures 40x10x45, which thanks to victoryfactory, I now know translates into 145" length plus girth which puts it into the "Oversize 3" category. That adds a $50 surcharge and brings the cost to ship the bike to $170.

I have to ship another buddy's bike as well and his came out to $140 - so over $300 for two bikes. I then tried the UPS Store because it was across the street and they quoted me almost $190 for my bike. I just can't bring myself to pay it so I'm most likely going to wrestle them around the airport instead.

Ship using USPS parcel post, it will much cheaper but take longer and not be trackable. the 145" is under the girth limit. just shipped a frame in a 33"x29"x8".

GuyGadois
06-29-2011, 04:28 PM
Fed ex is the best value in shipping. Fair prices, fast shippng and a tracking number.

I ship them all Fed-ex without a bad experience

yet

GG

SoCalSteve
06-29-2011, 04:50 PM
FedEx Ground all the way! Nice people in their stores, never any lines, I have an account online (never deal with cash or writing out labels) and its walking distance from my house...Its a win-win-win all around!

Frankwurst
06-29-2011, 05:07 PM
FedEx. :beer:

William
06-29-2011, 05:44 PM
I'm not advocating either of these options, but just throwing it out there for your consideration....

1.)On a Landcruiser forum that I hang on, some people will actually ship parts (even body parts) by Greyhound bus. Apparently cheaper then UPS/FedX/USPS.

2.)The other is what they call "Mudship" after the forum name: IH8MUD. There is a Mudship forum area where members post up where they may be traveling, or people looking for people traveling between certain destinations to deliver parts for them. I had a large Bullbar delivered that way a few years ago. Shipping would have killed me. He didn't want any thing but I gave him a case for doing it. We were both happy campers. Obviously there would have to be a bit of trust and working with known members.

Just thinking out loud. :)

William

Frankwurst
06-29-2011, 05:57 PM
I'm not advocating either of these options, but just throwing it out there for your consideration....

1.)On a Landcruiser forum that I hang on, some people will actually ship parts (even body parts) by Greyhound bus. Apparently cheaper then UPS/FedX/USPS.

2.)The other is what they call "Mudship" after the forum name: IH8MUD. There is a Mudship forum area where members post up where they may be traveling, or people looking for people traveling between certain destinations to deliver parts for them. I had a large Bullbar delivered that way a few years ago. Shipping would have killed me. He didn't want any thing but I gave him a case for doing it. We were both happy campers. Obviously there would have to be a bit of trust and working with known members.

Just thinking out loud. :)

William

Inquiring minds want to know....a case of what? :beer:

William
06-29-2011, 06:01 PM
Inquiring minds want to know....a case of what? :beer:

Nothing that you would need ointment for. :D

Guinness Extra Stout :beer:

William

Frankwurst
06-29-2011, 06:11 PM
Nothing that you would need ointment for. :D

Guinness Extra Stout :beer:

William

AHHH. Indeed no ointment necessary. Maybe some headgear if it fell in my hands. :beer:

William
06-29-2011, 07:05 PM
AHHH. Indeed no ointment necessary. Maybe some headgear if it fell in my hands. :beer:

You might need some ointment if you drank the whole case in one sitting. :beer:

SerottaShip anyone? ;) :)

William

EricEstlund
06-29-2011, 08:11 PM
One can also ship via Amtrak freight. If I'm sending a complete bike to a client who has an Amtrak stop in their city I'll often go this direction as it allows for almost fully assembled bikes.

19wisconsin64
06-30-2011, 06:59 AM
no, really. i joined this forum to find info on, and to sell a 50th anniversary campy grouped serotta....sold to a guy in asia.

$600 in shipping.

back story...he flew to new york and back for not much more, and his airline didn't charge him for the box on the way home!!

yes, it's about 3-4 times as expensive to ship large items now. yikes!!