PDA

View Full Version : Bicyclist Dies in Reno Nevada June 7th 2011

robertt8883
06-08-2011, 09:51 AM
A sad day In Reno Nevada.All info can be viewed at www.rgj.com

A bicyclist died this morning in Reno after being run over by a trash truck, the Reno Police Department reports.

The accident happened at about 9:33 a.m. at Mill Street and Kietzke Lane, according to Reno police Sgt. Jim Stegmaier.

Stegmaier said both the bicyclist and the garbage truck were heading west on Mill Street at Kietzke Lane. The bicyclist was in the far right lane for bicycles.

"The bicyclist had a green light and was trying to go across Kietzke Lane," Stegmaier said. "The trash truck turned and didn't see her because she was in a blind spot and ran right over her."

The woman's name is not being released at this time. Stegmaier said in a news release that she was 45 years old and from Sparks. The driver was 28 and from Reno.

Justin J. Caporusso, a Communications Manager with Waste Management issued the following statement: “Waste Management extends our extreme sympathy and sorrow to the family and friends of the victim, and we are working closely with local law enforcement on the investigation.”

Alcohol and speed do not appear to be a factor, Stegmaier said. Police continue to investigate the accident and ask any witnesses to call traffic detectives at 775-334-2141

schneiderrd
06-08-2011, 12:00 PM
This is a really sad case. I looked at the satellite photo in the article and the intersection looks real busy. I think in these situations it might be better for a cyclist to move out of the bike lane and into the right vehicle lane if they are going straight.

zmudshark
06-08-2011, 12:24 PM
Very sad.

Waste Management really needs a company-wide re-education program for their drivers. This is not the first fatality involving a cyclist and one of their trucks. A cyclist was killed in Scottsdale AZ last year by one of their trucks, and another in San Diego a few years back.

I have come close to being hit by one of their drivers who blew a stop sign.

Waste Management also sponsors/sponsored a cycling team.

zap
06-08-2011, 01:29 PM
Sad news. Similar accident happened in Washington, D.C. a year or two ago.

Agree drivers need better training but I have to say, trucks & buses are tricky. Stay away from big vehicles.

MattTuck
06-08-2011, 01:42 PM
Sad news. Similar accident happened in Washington, D.C. a year or two ago.

Agree drivers need better training but I have to say, trucks & buses are tricky. Stay away from big vehicles.

I think they're more of an issue around cities and with stop and go traffic, when bikes may come up from behind and be in their blind spot.

On country roads, big trucks tend to give me the widest clearance of any vehicle that passes.

FlashUNC
06-08-2011, 02:09 PM
I think they're more of an issue around cities and with stop and go traffic, when bikes may come up from behind and be in their blind spot.

On country roads, big trucks tend to give me the widest clearance of any vehicle that passes.

+1. Riding the country roads where I grew up, the most generous traffic I dealt with was, without fail, 18-wheelers.

rugbysecondrow
06-08-2011, 02:38 PM
Very sad.

Waste Management really needs a company-wide re-education program for their drivers. This is not the first fatality involving a cyclist and one of their trucks. A cyclist was killed in Scottsdale AZ last year by one of their trucks, and another in San Diego a few years back.

I have come close to being hit by one of their drivers who blew a stop sign.

Waste Management also sponsors/sponsored a cycling team.

Agree with you, education is good. I would add that cyclists need to be education and aware of these blind spots and react/act accordingly. Frankly, I have slowed down before just so I am not riding along side a vehicle like this. I tend to keep these things in front of me where I might be able to react more quickly.

MattTuck
06-08-2011, 02:44 PM
Agree with you, education is good. I would add that cyclists need to be education and aware of these blind spots and react/act accordingly. Frankly, I have slowed down before just so I am not riding along side a vehicle like this. I tend to keep these things in front of me where I might be able to react more quickly.

I'll agree with you there. Just like when driving a car, assume the people around you are going to do the most stupid thing, and be ready to react when they do.

With the improvements in sensor quality and processing power, I suspect that we'll see many more cars/trucks equipped with 'driver assist' in the coming years that might hopefully prevent accidents like this one.

rice rocket
06-08-2011, 03:12 PM

Agreed. Riding defensively often means you have to be a little more aggressive and claim your space to make yourself seen. I'm naturally and aggressive driver/rider in a traffic setting, and while not backing down and riding in the gutters annoys many drivers for sure, it keeps me out of the ER/alive. But maybe I'm a douchenozzle.

spamjoshua
06-08-2011, 09:38 PM
Dave Moulton (http://davesbikeblog.squarespace.com/blog/2010/3/22/a-case-for-taking-the-lane.html)

Fixed
06-08-2011, 10:38 PM
trash truck = bike eating monster
cheers

rugbysecondrow
06-09-2011, 06:05 AM
Dave Moulton (http://davesbikeblog.squarespace.com/blog/2010/3/22/a-case-for-taking-the-lane.html)

100% agree. Some places I ride have ramps to contend with, it requires planning, purposeful action as well as communication with other vehicles. Much of mitigating dangerous situations is to recognize those situations which are dangerous.

Thanks for posting.

LesMiner
06-09-2011, 06:26 AM
Similar accidents in Minneapolis. Trucks turning right can not see to their immediate right. Just last light this subject came up on a local Minneapolis TV.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2011/06/08/deblog-bicyclists-vs-cars/

There is alot to be said about following traffic laws and that most vehicles are much bigger and faster than you are on a bike.

SEABREEZE
06-09-2011, 07:28 AM
Traveling on 95 north here in Fl, I was in the passing lane pulling a trailer with my pick up when a 18 wheeler, without checking his mirror pulled into my lane, as I was right on his left side, luckly the shoulder was flat and I was able to keep my two right wheels on the payment and let off on the gas and slowed and completely went on the shoulder to collect my composure, as my addrenlin was really pumping. This was all happening at about 75mph...

This is exactally how accidents happen, you cant trust big vechiles. The fricken jerk never looked into his mirror. Just pulled out into the fast lane...

Moral of the story, you wonder what really happened to the poor lady who lost her life.. Because of driver error...

People, becareful out there !!!

rugbysecondrow
06-09-2011, 07:35 AM
Similar accidents in Minneapolis. Trucks turning right can not see to their immediate right. Just last light this subject came up on a local Minneapolis TV.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2011/06/08/deblog-bicyclists-vs-cars/

There is alot to be said about following traffic laws and that most vehicles are much bigger and faster than you are on a bike.

Slow train ride this morning, so just a couple comments about the blog, I appreciate you pointing it out.

1) I think the Cars vs Bicyclists is not an accurate description of the proper discussion. It is good to stoke the fires, but not accurate. I would guess that 95% of cyclists are also motorists. "Cars and Bicyclists" is more apt. If Riders and Motorists can't elevate the conversation, it will degrade. Frankly, there is momentem, either positive or negative. Collectively we need positive momentum, but it starts with individuals. This issue is much less adversarial then they make it sound and it seems the issue should be approached from that perspective. If it is a Cars vs. Bikes discussion, bikes will ALWAYS lose. Too many motorists, to much investment in infrastructure, to many votes etc. Not a battle we will win. We have to work with, not against.

2) Motorists have a responsibility to share the road and accomodate cyclists on roads where we are legally allowed to ride.

3) Cyclists have a responsibility to share the road and accomodate motorists, this includes communication, responisible law abiding riding and predicitable actions.

4) The comments threads seems to bring legitimate issues to light. Motorists get pissed about law breaking cyclists. Cyclists get pissed about law breaking motorists. The truth is that as a cyclists, I have to be aware of what motorists are doing, but I can only control what I do. Be responsible for how YOU act, no excuses. Its like a thief complaining about liar...nobody gives a ????...you are a thief. Lets clean up our act.

5) As cyclists, riders, commuters, we need to up the ante a bit. I was reading a Facebook post of an acquantence who rides his bike some. He was railing against all the "Cagers"...not smart and it does absolutely nothing to provide positive impact. Stoking the fire may win points with the douches you ride with, but is worthless in the big scheme of things.

Bob Loblaw
06-09-2011, 07:43 AM
I was at a motorcycle show once, and they had one display with a big rig and twelve motorcycles parked all around it. Visitors could climb into the cab and see for themselves what it's like for the drivers.

It seemed impossible, but from inside the truck using the mirrors, you couldn't see any of the motorcycles...not even a wink of chrome. Bikes are even smaller and don't throw any light...we might as well be ninjas from a truck driver's perspective.

If you're riding next to a truck, the driver can't see you AND you can't see the truck's turn signals. It's even worse when you add driver distractions like cell phones....truck drivers seem to be texting all the time.

BL