PDA

View Full Version : Messenger bags?

CNY rider
06-22-2005, 07:49 AM
Any of you commuters (or messengers for that matter) use a messenger bag?

I will be commuting 7 miles to work, mainly in fair weather. I will need to carry a small amount of paperwork, cell phone and pager,, and maybe a lightweight towel and/or change of clothes on occasion.

What would you folks recommend?

Fixed
06-22-2005, 08:01 AM
Hi I have Timbuk2 and a Jansport I like the Jansport best I also like the Chrome bags ,check out Manhattan Portage I hoe this helps a little.

Ozz
06-22-2005, 08:15 AM
I have a Timbuk2 and it is great...lots of options, not too expensive, wears like iron.

BURCH
06-22-2005, 08:17 AM
CNY,

I have one of these:
http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/catalog/categories.t2?categoryId=40

I use it for 12 mile commutes with about 10-20lbs of stuff in it. I like the bag, but I find that it is always shifting on me and I constantly have to swing it back where it feels comfortable. I have gotten used to this, but if someone (like "Fixed") recommends something else go for it. I just don't feel like buying another bag, but not becuase I love mine.

Fixed
06-22-2005, 08:27 AM
CNY,

I have one of these:
http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/catalog/categories.t2?categoryId=40

I use it for 12 mile commutes with about 10-20lbs of stuff in it. I like the bag, but I find that it is always shifting on me and I constantly have to swing it back where it feels comfortable. I have gotten used to this, but if someone (like "Fixed") recommends something else go for it. I just don't feel like buying another bag, but not becuase I love mine.
Thay is why I like the jansort plus it was free. tip wear the bag high up on your back I hope this helps.

CNY rider
06-22-2005, 08:35 AM
Fixed do you know which model you have? How many straps does it have?

Thanks!

spiderlake
06-22-2005, 08:36 AM
I've been happy with a bag I bought from Trager a few years ago. It fits nicely in the small of my back and also has a waist strap to keep it from sliding around. Please note that I rarely use it to bike to work but I do depend on it to get from meeting to meeting to meeting to meeting during the week. A typical day will find me walking 5-6 miles between buildings. Anyway, here is the link to the messenger bags at Trager:

http://www.tragerusa.com/catalog_main1.html

P.S. We had a healthy heart challenge at work and all participants had to track their "steps" with a pedometer. I never knew how far I walked in a typical day until I wore the pedometer. Contest ended six months ago and I still wear it!

csb
06-22-2005, 08:42 AM
i've had the same large MANHATTAN bag going on 15 years _
at its funeral will be a new BAILEY WORKS bag

Bruce K
06-22-2005, 08:43 AM
Bailey Works in Portsmouth, NH makes an amazing variety of bags.

Several models/sizes in a variety of colors. They also make left and right handed versions.

website is: www.baileyworks.com

BK

cosmonaut
06-22-2005, 08:45 AM
I use a Reload messenger bag - by far the best I've seen. They have standard bags, but also do full custom work (both in terms of features and graphics, but also in terms of bag dimensions, etc.). I'd say that for your purposes a Small Civilian or Civilian would be more than adequate. Definitely go for the 'messenger strap pad' feature, which greatly enhances fit and comfort.
My commute is 10 miles each way through Washington, DC traffic. The bag is completely waterproof and handles the rigors of city life well.

http://reloadbags.com/

dirtdigger88
06-22-2005, 08:45 AM
I commuted for three years- I had (have) a TimBuck2 also- those things rock-

As far as not staying in place the key- like Fixed said- is wearing the bag high on your back and using the extra stap that goes across your mid section- I hav the cell phone holder on mine too-

Now I use it as my travel bag for when I take my bike- hold enough clothes for a few days and my shoes and helmet as well

Jason

Climb01742
06-22-2005, 09:17 AM
bailey works. no contest. end of argument. look no further. not even close. i've been on a personal quest to find the perfect bag for years. while the mythical perfect bag is still out there somewhere, no matter what other bags i try, i keep coming back to a 5 year old bailey works bag. the key superior element, IMO, is their shoulder strap...best padding...best positioned padding...and best open/close mechanism on strap. bag is virtually indestructable.

flydhest
06-22-2005, 09:19 AM
I haven't compared, but I'm on my second Timbuk2 (my dog chewed on the first one) and use it everyday. I shop for groceries by bike every so often and it has done it's job well. I personally prefer to have the bag just a hair lower when it's heavy, makes everything balance better for me. The waist strap is clutch.

Fixed
06-22-2005, 09:21 AM
My new bag that I just got from work is a Jadd I don't think you need the biggest model a med. bag like the Hurricane I think would work great.I have the Iniki model it is very large.

peacefulwarrior
06-22-2005, 09:28 AM
Another vote for Bailey Works ... good folks who make great bags.

Too Tall
06-22-2005, 09:46 AM
Timbuk2 - I have all three sizes...the big one fits a case of beer :cool:

fiamme red
06-22-2005, 09:47 AM
A Timbuk2 is sufficient for me (maximum 150 commuting miles a week). But if you want the very best, get a PAC Designs (http://www.pacdesigns.com/index.htm) bag, the most comfortable and durable messenger bag out there.

Fixed
06-22-2005, 10:02 AM
O.K. guys all these bags are great if you want the list of bags the pros. use go to International Federation of Bike Messengers they have a link to all the bags.Cheers

shoe
06-22-2005, 10:20 AM
seems to be much love for the messenger bag---mine just really annoyed me. short jaunts no biggie but a little shifting on longer rides became annoying(maybe not the best bag either?). i bought a larger camelbak peakbagger back pack(on sale good amount of storage) and am much happier. but i carry alot of stuff to work with clothes food work stuff. i've never used the hadration pack in fact i took it out but it is always nice to have. it straps comfortably to you and has a buch of straps for adjustment and really just keeps it well balanced and in the center..i'm sure i look like a kook with a big pack on but then again i have 25 miles to make it to work so if i don't have to think about my bag than that is the one for me. one pointer is to carry some money on you so if you want to stop at the homemade donut shop on the way you don't have to dig it out of your bag or whatever other kind of treat that you might want to treat yourself to for not using your car that day..in fact why am i not on my way to work right now..............later---dave

musgravecycles
06-22-2005, 10:29 AM
I've got a Timbuk2 that was custom made for me about 4.5 years ago. I commute about 120 miles a week with it and love it (it's bombproof!). FWIW they have changed some things since mine was made, I think its more durable than the new ones...

csb
06-22-2005, 10:34 AM
when eye install artwork in the wormy apple my manhattan bag holds:

hammer
multi (careful) screwdriver
needle nose plier
utility knife (screw 9-11)
tape measure (a big one)
pencil (#2 black warrior)
torpedo level
drill bit asst.
cordless drill w x'batt. + charger
fishing box of hardware trix
asst. of wire
roll o'blue tape
cell phone (god help me)
address book (the city holds a lot of potential)
2' plastic cheapo super lite level*

* beautifully clad in a custom black leather case with silver snaps
so the doormen dont see a level poking itself out of the bag + make me
take the service elevator _ cant have tools going in the front door (careful)

Idris Icabod
06-22-2005, 10:36 AM
I commute daily with a Chrome Metropolis bag. It is very well built and comes in a variety of lovely colours (no excuse for a car not to see my bright red bag). There is also a larger (Kremlin) and smaller (do not know name) bag. I would say that 9 times out of 10 my Metropolis is too large as I bring the majority of my work clothes in on Monday (pantaloons and towel etc.) and then only have to bring in/take home a clean shirt/under garments/lunch on the rest of the days and then tote the big items home on Friday.
The bag is very comfortable, has a large padded strap and beefy quick release and also a strap to keep it wedged up against your shoulder. I ride in Tucson, AZ so recently my back gets very sweaty, but I bet any bag couldn't stop the sweats riding in 110 degree temperatures!
I noticed Supergo is having a sale on Chrome messanger bags at the moment (or in a couple of days at least, I got the flyer in the mail). Chrome bags are not cheap, but they are good. I got the recommendation over on teh commuting forum on RBR.

Marron
06-22-2005, 10:53 AM
I've been using Timbuk 2 bags since the mid 90's for daily commuting. Like most of the other posters, I found them comfortable and the easy access to external pockets convenient. The only serious debit was the less than waterproof closure.

Early this winter I picked up a large Ortlieb messenger bag on a whim and have been using it ever since. Aside from being totally waterproof the advantages are that it is much more comfortable to carry than the messenger bags, particularly when heavily loaded, and it makes it much easier to adjust jackets and jerseys for temperature control. The only downside is that there are no internal or expternal pockets although both are available as add-ons. The additional capacity really becomes evident when doing shopping after work; I had a traditional french bagette in my bag last night and it arrived home safe and straight.

BURCH
06-22-2005, 01:03 PM
Thay is why I like the jansort plus it was free. tip wear the bag high up on your back I hope this helps.

I will try that. I do wear the bag down low on the lower back section. Thanks. I do like the bag otherwise.

shinomaster
06-22-2005, 01:37 PM
I have had a huge timbuck 2 bag for years. It works well enough for trasporting two six packs and groceries and lots of crap. Honestly though, sometimes I wish I just had a nice back pack. They distribute the preassure better over your body. The messanger bag is better if you need to open it quickly and get to your messages.

Too Tall
06-22-2005, 02:12 PM
Admit I'm nuts for courier bags I'd have more than three if the dog didn't look so starved and OMG trailer park fees are due again.

The "PAC" brand looks fantastic. Thanks.

weisan
06-22-2005, 02:20 PM
O.K. guys all these bags are great if you want the list of bags the pros. use go to International Federation of Bike Messengers they have a link to all the bags.Cheers

http://www.messengers.org/resources/bags.html

CDRB
06-22-2005, 02:27 PM
I use a Deuter AC Lite 15 back pack. Lots of pockets, good adjustments, rain cover and a great system to keep the air flowing between your back and the pack. Works for me.

jpw
06-22-2005, 02:53 PM
I've been using the same Ortlieb messenger bag for 11 years. Backpack style double shoulder straps- can be configured for a single diagonal strap if required, but not recommended as the bag becomes unstable and uncomfortable. The double strap config. is very comfortable, and super stable. Very nice back padding with venting channels. It has a waist strap but I don't use it (which means I don't have it on the bag at all). It's very durable, waterproof, and comes in orange, yellow, red, and black (don't buy black and live longer even though black is so painfully 'cool'). They did do custom colors and graphics at one time in the past- not sure if that's still an available service. I always fancied a white one for night rides home. I wouldn't describe the bag as 'svelte'; it's biggeer than your average bag. I simply hate the single strap type of bag that wraps around the side of the body; I feel unbalanced when riding and this could easily lead to disaster in traffic. That's why I can't consider 90% of the bags on the market. Many of them are 'haute couture' but I'm not looking for that in a bag. Finally, the closure has no buckles or zips so nothing can go wrong there and it adds to the lifespan of the bag. Deeply recommended.

Brian Smith
06-22-2005, 10:38 PM
Many folks who use their bags for only 2-4 bike trips per day would be better off with a "backpack style" messenger bag instead of a single strap shoulder bag. Couriers need quick access to their bag's contents while riding, while track standing, while dismounting, while mounting, while running into buildings, etc. For that purpose, the single strap shoulder bag is best. For those who need to carry stuff for their commute to work, but need features such as water resistance (or proofing), durability, and suitability to ride with, a backpack-style courier bag is best, imho. I've been using a Chrome backpack style bag for commuting, though RELoad has a nice one, the Pac Designs is really great, and the Ortleib is good too, if you like the outmoded looks of it. Buy a real bag from a real indy bag company, and you won't be disappointed, I got 10+ years out of my first Zo bag, 4 out of my Timbuk2, (though neither of those was excellent in the waterproofing dept.), but I always longed for a real bag! The one I always wanted most was a 420 mfg, but the guy seemed to disappear shortly after I saw his bags at an event...and now I'm mostly a backpack-style rider.

William
06-23-2005, 05:19 AM
Timbuk2 - I have all three sizes...the big one fits a case of beer :cool:

My B.Y.O.B Handle bar Bag fits two kegs. It also works as sort of a "Cow Catcher" for the slow moving pedestrians, aggressive dogs, and sedate livestock that amble into your path.
Drawback? Really sucks in a head wind. :crap:

Here you see it mounted on the Serotta Skunkbird...well, you can't see the Skunkbird, but it's there, trust me. ;)

William ;)

http://www.cycletourer.co.uk/cycletouring/cycleimages/stansted.jpg

vandeda
06-23-2005, 05:44 AM
Hmmm .... it seems like I'm the only one who doesn't like hanging a bag off his back. Been there .... nothing like the feel of a super-wet, super-sweaty back. My back needs to breaaaaaaaaaathe. I rejoiced the day I started using pannier bags and my back was free of a sweat-inducing bag. I will never go back unless necessary (I can understand why messengers or someone living in the city will need a messenger bag since you got little space between cars).

Dan

Too Tall
06-23-2005, 06:30 AM
Willy, nah you are not telling the whole story. Back in the 70's when there was a gas crisis on odd days the local "wise guys" hired Willy to uh...yah know...do some light hauling.

cs124
06-23-2005, 07:02 AM
have abused mine for 3+ yrs... still great... very tough, comfortable, looks good... everyone i know has one... they like them too

http://www.crumplerusa.com/home.php

William
06-23-2005, 12:07 PM
Willy, nah you are not telling the whole story. Back in the 70's when there was a gas crisis on odd days the local "wise guys" hired Willy to uh...yah know...do some light hauling.

Hey! When they give you a "package" to deliver, you don't ask; "what's in it"? That is unless you want to be "swimmin wit da fishes". :no:

William ;)