PDA

View Full Version : Chipmunks...Something is afoot.

William
06-06-2011, 01:20 PM
Dear Chipmunks,

On my ride today I must have passed at least 25 - 30 of you squashed flat as pancakes, and seen another 30 - 40 of you scurrying into or across the road. I can't recall in recent memory seeing so many of you out there. Add to that the fact that I didn't see any Squirrels at all leads me to believe that something is afoot. What is Mr. Squirrel paying you to be used as a frontal assault to distract us cyclists with your scampering antics and pancake impressions? Obviously this is meant to distract and leave us open to assault from Mr. Squirrel and his rodent minions....what gives?

Do you like Corn nuts?

William

FlashUNC
06-06-2011, 01:48 PM
http://static.bored.com/user/55659/media/bf6188695bCrazy_Chipmunk_jpg.jpeg

jr59
06-06-2011, 01:53 PM
epic, :D

chipmunks as fodder, very clever!

1centaur
06-06-2011, 02:43 PM
I agree - it's a bumper crop of chipmunks. Today on my ride one came flying across the road from the right to the center line where I was like an arrow for my front wheel. No chance of an avoidance maneuver and I could not look down because I was at speed. I felt a slight bump and figured I nailed him, which I hate. Then he came flying up between my right arm and my body (flung up by the wheel rotation), actually hitting my arm on the way up to about head level. I had visions of a rabid chipmunk clinging to my bare arm. I instinctively removed my hand from the bar so he could drop back down without pinballing into my lap or some other unfortunate outcome. I did not look back. Avoided a few more on the way home and saw at least 10 more as road kill.

bikerboy337
06-06-2011, 03:26 PM
They're everywhere this year in MA/RI. I see about one squished one a mile at least... i ran over (and killed, slowly) a chipmunk about two weeks ago... they just bolt out in the road. I must miss at least 10 a ride...

Nooch
06-06-2011, 03:58 PM
Here in NNJ Mr. Squirrel hasn't recruited his more nimble friends... yet.

However his bretheren made mad dashes at my borrowed wheels yesterday. Try as they might, they shall not take my wheels!

witcombusa
06-06-2011, 04:11 PM
No question about it...it IS the year of the chipmunk....

They are EVERYWHERE

Ken Robb
06-06-2011, 04:12 PM
In the Mohawk language "chipmunk" means pawn. Now you know.

godfrey1112000
06-06-2011, 04:44 PM
Here we go

rwsaunders
06-06-2011, 04:51 PM
Don't waste those little fellars...

White Trash Recipe: 3 Bean Chipmunk Chili

Chop up meat into fine pieces or grind
2 lb. Chipmunk meat pieces
1 small yellow onion, chopped
1 small green pepper, chopped
2 cans (16 oz. each) Dark Red Kidney Beans, undrained
2 cans (16 oz. each) Pinto Beans, undrained
2 cans (16 oz. each) Black Beans, undrained
1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
2 envelopes chili seasoning mix 1/2 tsp.
Ground Cinnamon 1-1/4 cups Sour Cream

Use your broth you made from the bones to boil the meat in a large sauce pot on low heat.

Make sure you do this slowly, use a slow cooker to make the meat tender. Cook for about 3 hours on low heat. Then let it set for 30 minutes and skim off any fat.

Add onion and green pepper; cook until tender, bring up to a low boil on medium heat, stirring frequently.

ADD all remaining ingredients except sour cream; mix well. Bring to boil; cover. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

SPOON into soup bowls; top with sour cream.

Great Substitute:Prepare as directed, substituting 2 pkg. (16 oz. each) thawed frozen Ground Turkey

Nil Else
06-06-2011, 07:28 PM
I've been living around here for nearly 40 years and never had chipmunks... but since last year we have a chipmunk(s) tearing our garden apart, assuming for bugs, and eating the seedlings and veges.

Just today I sprinkled some garlic powder around the garden... hoping it'd have the same effect on chipmunk as on field mouse - they don't like it. Anyone know a good solution? I thought of sprinkling some dirty cat litter sand.

Fixed
06-06-2011, 07:31 PM
casting call for the new alvin movie
cheers

93legendti
06-06-2011, 07:34 PM
The last 3 summers we were swimming in chipmunks. I haven't seen 1 this year. So I guess the chipmunks you guys are seeing are all the ones that were tormenting us from 2008-2010 and they have moved on...sorry.

clunk
06-06-2011, 07:39 PM
What gives with all these chipmunks in New England this year? And why are they always crossing the road? If the other side of the road is so desirable why don't they just move there and quit scampering back and forth?

Nil Else
06-06-2011, 08:57 PM
Mimicking Mr. Squirrel.

bumknees
06-07-2011, 08:12 AM
Here in NNJ Mr. Squirrel hasn't recruited his more nimble friends... yet.

However his bretheren made mad dashes at my borrowed wheels yesterday. Try as they might, they shall not take my wheels!

The first chipmunk recruits have appeared. Although I haven't seen any flattened ones on the road, I nearly hit several on two recent rides in Bergen County. I have seen a ton of flattened squirrels...

danielpack22@ma
06-07-2011, 08:16 AM
Rats with Racin' Stripes!
They're all over the place here in Tennessee! Pretty much wiping out our flower beds right now! :mad:

vsefiream
06-07-2011, 08:47 AM
I thought it was just a fluke Sunday when I saw dozens of those cute little guys crossing the bike path near my house. I usually don't see any, especially near any roads. They seem to be smarter than squirrels in that respect :no:
Last night's ride was a closer encounter. A friend of mine and I were traveling down a different bike bath along the canal when we began to pass two young female riders. Just as the four of us were two wide and two deep on the trail, one of the "pawns" ran out in front of all of us!! I believe he was going for maximum collateral damage. Luckily there was just enough wiggle room to avoid the little noid and not end up in a pile. The girls freaked out of course which was probably our biggest fear. The "pawn" escaped unharmed and nobody was hurt. However I am ever vigilant now for the furry little terrors.

BTW any body else notice just how quiet Mr squirrel has been of late??

Mr. Squirrel
06-07-2011, 09:21 AM
I thought it was just a fluke Sunday when I saw dozens of those cute little guys crossing the bike path near my house. I usually don't see any, especially near any roads. They seem to be smarter than squirrels in that respect :no:
Last night's ride was a closer encounter. A friend of mine and I were traveling down a different bike bath along the canal when we began to pass two young female riders. Just as the four of us were two wide and two deep on the trail, one of the "pawns" ran out in front of all of us!! I believe he was going for maximum collateral damage. Luckily there was just enough wiggle room to avoid the little noid and not end up in a pile. The girls freaked out of course which was probably our biggest fear. The "pawn" escaped unharmed and nobody was hurt. However I am ever vigilant now for the furry little terrors.

BTW any body else notice just how quiet Mr squirrel has been of late??

i am just observing the fodder...i mean recruits. <nuk nuk nuk!>

http://www.armageddonpest.com/peeking_squirrel.jpg

i do see a medal is in order! good attempt recruit.:D

mr. squirrel

russ46
06-07-2011, 11:22 AM
My opinion, based on many years of highly scientific wildlife observations is:

Due to the long and deep snow cover this winter the chipmunks still think they are running around in their tunnels safe under 2' of white stuff

Mr. Squirrel
06-07-2011, 11:39 AM

Due to the long and deep snow cover this winter the chipmunks still think they are running around in their tunnels safe under 2' of white stuff

yes, what mr. russ said. that is what is going on. mr. russ is not nuts <nuk nuk nuk>.

mr. squirrel

witcombusa
06-07-2011, 11:46 AM
Squeakquel

William
06-07-2011, 12:58 PM
Dear Mr. Rodent,

I took out one of your pals on my ride. He went straight for my wheel. never slowed, never veered left or right. Just straight for......thump thump!

William

godfrey1112000
06-07-2011, 01:34 PM
Dear Mr. Rodent,

I took out one of your pals on my ride. He went straight for my wheel. never slowed, never veered left or right. Just straight for......thump thump!

William

Yikes :eek:

clunk
06-08-2011, 10:13 AM

I'm thinking there is actually something to the snow issue. Here's my theory: Most winters the snow comes and goes throughout the winter. Since snow was on the ground all winter this year, the chipmunks were able to keep under it and stay out of site of their normal predators (hawks, fisher cats, etc.). This theory gets a boost from the fact that the much more annoying mice are also everywhere this year. I'm going broke buying mouse traps for my shed and I'm tired of cleaning up mouse poop. They would be more numerous for the same reason.

William
06-08-2011, 05:50 PM
I don't believe the chippers like the heat. Around 94 this afternoon and only saw a few critters shooting across the road. Yesterday was much cooler and they were freakin everywhere.

Did you figure that into your grand plan Mr. Squirrel!! :butt:

William

ctcyclistbob
06-08-2011, 09:23 PM
I've seen lots of them here in Central CT. They are pretty quick:

BobbyJones
06-08-2011, 10:42 PM
FWIW - Part of my regular route covers Henry Hudson Drive (River Road) in Jersey along the Hudson.

Last year I noticed the chipmunks were really active around 3-5 in the afternoon. I'm seeing the same this year, but alot more flat ones on the road. I guess maybe that means there are more in general.

Did a full lockup on a loaded-for-tour bike today to miss one. I guess one close call out of many years isn't too bad, but your reports aren't making me optimistic for the future.

Bob Ross
06-09-2011, 06:33 AM
FWIW - Part of my regular route covers Henry Hudson Drive (River Road) in Jersey along the Hudson.

Last year I noticed the chipmunks were really active around 3-5 in the afternoon. I'm seeing the same this year, but alot more flat ones on the road. I guess maybe that means there are more in general.

These past two Wednesdays I've been doing River Road in the early mornings and I definitely noticed a lot more chipmunks than previous years. They also appear smaller than usual; I wonder if these are all the 2011 newborns who are just too stupid to realize the road is not a good thing to cross?

He went straight for my wheel. never slowed, never veered left or right. Just straight for......

Yeah, I've noticed this distinct difference in rodent road-crossing behavior between chipmunks & squirrels: Chipmunks make a beeline and just go for it, no hesitation, no evasive action, no arbitrary direction changes...iow, the complete opposite of squirrels. So at least I'm finding it much easier to avoid chipmunks, as they're almost pathologically predictable.

SEABREEZE
06-09-2011, 06:45 AM
Low and behold stepped off the plane at Logan, and was greeted by those little rascals.

New England certainly knows how to greet folks !!!

Climb01742
06-09-2011, 06:47 AM
on my rides the ratio of dead chipmunks to flattened turtles is about 1:1. one moves fast. one moves slow. yet same fate. call me an old softie but it still bums me out to see so many killed. feels a bit like, there but for the grace of...

OnceFast
06-09-2011, 05:10 PM
Nil Else,

This works: Fill a 5 gallon bucket halfway up with water and sprinkle a layer of sunflower seeds on the top. Angle a board up to the top of the bucket and put a few seeds on it. Warning: squirels will sabotage this setup. For them mix some D-con with peanut butter and paste gobs of it nearby.

Please: no comments from PETA people. Happy gardening.

Hawker
06-09-2011, 08:01 PM
They are very cute little guys but for some reason this year they are destroying my front yard with LOTS of very deep holes. I got out the BB gun last week and I now have one less than last time.

Nil Else
06-09-2011, 08:07 PM
I don't particularly wanna kill em... they are kinda cute little buggers. I just want them to move on and go bother my neighbors or something (my neighbors yard looks untouched!).

BTW garlic powder worked somewhat... something threw up in my garden I'm assuming from ingesting garlic powder with whatever they munched on. And there were very little signs of new activities.

russ46
06-09-2011, 08:09 PM
What I love most about this site are the threads where we don't take ourselves seriously. In the words of the mysterious Mr. Squirrel, nuk, nuk, nuk.