PDA

View Full Version : Summer is here observations

sbparker31
06-06-2011, 10:12 AM
Okay, I was out for my typical weekend ride yesterday here in Sunny San Diego, and it is has clearly transitioned to summer. It is not weather that defines summer here, unlike what you Northeasterners experience; It is the influx of cars and people from points east to the coastal communities.

So I have two observations. Number one, who sent the memo that traffic laws are now rescinded, as I certainly didn't get one. Riding up the Highway 101 (which is the main drag along the coast for those who don't know) was like trying to navigate a Supercenter parking lot. Lots of cars, mixture of people going too fast with those going too slow, and even those stopping short in the traffic lanes because they thought they saw a parking spot, etc. I was out for a nice leg stretcher of a ride, not a crash course in bike handling skills.

Second Observation -- what has happened to people's dignity? Now don't get me wrong, I admire the site of women in bikinis as much as the next guy, even a buff dude in his board shorts. But it seems that people are covering up less and less who should be covering up more and more. I saw more exposed flesh flopping and spilling out of places where it had no place being.

Anyway, sorry for the whining. Just had to get it off my chest.

rwsaunders
06-06-2011, 10:37 AM
But it seems that people are covering up less and less who should be covering up more and more. I saw more exposed flesh flopping and spilling out of places where it had no place being.

I have worn a "large" in street clothes for at least 35 years or so. I find myself now buying "trim cut" or mediums as "large" has been redefined. I thought that Southern Californians were all tan and trim? :cool:

Blue Jays
06-06-2011, 10:39 AM
"...Second Observation -- what has happened to people's dignity? Now don't get me wrong, I admire the sight of women in bikinis as much as the next guy, even a buff dude in his board shorts. But it seems that people are covering up less and less who should be covering up more and more..."What is with people wearing horrible sleeveless jerseys coupled with arm warmers? That is an unattractive clothing selection that makes ZERO sense.

AngryScientist
06-06-2011, 10:51 AM
i agree fully. :beer:

Karin Kirk
06-06-2011, 11:11 AM
What is with people wearing horrible sleeveless jerseys coupled with arm warmers? That is an unattractive clothing selection that makes ZERO sense.

To even out one's farmer tan?

konstantkarma
06-06-2011, 12:00 PM
Here's one early summer observation. I do not know what it is about Maryland, since I am not a native, but it is standard procedure for all middle- to geriatric-aged men to mow the lawn sans shirt. It does not matter if the person is skinny or morbidly obese....no shirt. Yesterday on my ride, I was wishing I had a bottle of eye bleach....."That which has been seen cannot be unseen". :eek:

d_douglas
06-06-2011, 01:11 PM
When summer arrives in Denmark, it arrives in style. All the gorgeous ladies and gents are out pedalling their kids to the beach in the hippest of clothes wearing either no helmet or the newest, latest BMX helmets.

Brilliant, nearly endless sunshine, light breeze, white sandy beaches, freezing cold beer and swims, great coffee, great thai food, gorgeous ladies (even my wife concedes that) - our weekend in Copenhagen was awesome!

signed, Canadian/Helvetican trash.

sbparker31
06-06-2011, 02:22 PM
When summer arrives in Denmark, it arrives in style. All the gorgeous ladies and gents are out pedalling their kids to the beach in the hippest of clothes wearing either no helmet or the newest, latest BMX helmets.

Brilliant, nearly endless sunshine, light breeze, white sandy beaches, freezing cold beer and swims, great coffee, great thai food, gorgeous ladies (even my wife concedes that) - our weekend in Copenhagen was awesome!

signed, Canadian/Helvetican trash.

What a great attitude, I guess I should be taking this glass half full approach. Although I saw a lot of unnecessarily displayed flesh on my ride, this being SoCal, I also saw a lot of very nicely displayed flesh as well. :hello:

Louis
06-06-2011, 03:22 PM
The main sign for me that summer has arrived is that on Saturday (91*, relatively elevated humidity, first "hot" ride of the year) I kind of felt OK, and in the shade it did not really feel hot, but after a few hills my body just did not want to go anymore.

You try to push the gas pedal, but there is just nothing there. I assume I'll acclimate and in a few weeks I'll be wishing for 91*, but right now it does not feel like fun.

LesMiner
06-07-2011, 07:08 AM
The main sign for me that summer has arrived is that on Saturday (91*, relatively elevated humidity, first "hot" ride of the year) I kind of felt OK, and in the shade it did not really feel hot, but after a few hills my body just did not want to go anymore.

You try to push the gas pedal, but there is just nothing there. I assume I'll acclimate and in a few weeks I'll be wishing for 91*, but right now it does not feel like fun.

Well Minneapolis has gone over the top, 97 yesterday. The prediction is just as hot or hotter today, maybe 100. Heat stress warnings are flashing every where. I am leading a club ride tonight at 6 PM so I hope it cools down. I wonder how many will show up? Anyway, the outlook for the weekend here is temperature in the 60's. That will be good since I have century scheduled for Sunday.

MattTuck
06-07-2011, 07:18 AM

Louis! Why fight it? Just admit you're a hard man built for the spring classics. Ride hard in the spring and take the summer off. ;)

sjbraun
06-07-2011, 07:22 AM
We saw same temperature swing in a single ride o Sunday.

Sixty-five degrees at the beginning of the ride, 70s 6,000 feet higher at the top of Mt Lemmon and 95 at the end of the ride.

Gotta love sumer in Tucson.

I'm heading to MN on Sunday. We'll spend a few days riding the Root River trail, better break out the wool. :hello:

Hank Scorpio
06-07-2011, 07:32 AM
Summer has definitely hit NJ hard. Three weeks ago I was paddling out with maybe 5 other locals for a waist to stomach high wave. Memorial day weekend 25++ idiots all scrambling for every knee high ripple that came through every 20 minutes. Boo summer!

I like riding in the heat though and being able to get some decent mileage in after work is nice too.

bart998
06-07-2011, 07:56 AM
So Cal still feels like spring... 70's and 80's, clouds and bluster. But I know the heat will come.

Nil Else
06-07-2011, 08:04 AM
I scratch, therefore I weave.

bambam
06-07-2011, 12:14 PM
to paraphrase a comment I've seen in other post.
"This post is useless with out pictures." :hello:
Lets see some pictures of these undesirable Bikini wearers. Let the forum judge the unwanted display of flesh. Here in landlocked Kentucky we don't get to many people walking around in bikinis. The most we have to look for is the lady of the house out on a riding lawnmower with a bikini top and hopefully with a lumpy,bumpy yard.
:D

sbparker31
06-07-2011, 04:56 PM
to paraphrase a comment I've seen in other post.
"This post is useless with out pictures." :hello:
Lets see some pictures of these undesirable Bikini wearers. Let the forum judge the unwanted display of flesh. Here in landlocked Kentucky we don't get to many people walking around in bikinis. The most we have to look for is the lady of the house out on a riding lawnmower with a bikini top and hopefully with a lumpy,bumpy yard.
:D

Here in Socal, if you take an unwanted picture, you might get shot with a dirty look. There in Kentucky, I suspect it would be birdshot. Be careful!

bambam
06-08-2011, 09:55 AM
Here in Socal, if you take an unwanted picture, you might get shot with a dirty look. There in Kentucky, I suspect it would be birdshot. Be careful!

Last I heard dirty looks don't hurt. May even be considered sexy :D
I guess birdshot could happen but contrary to popular belief you don't see many people walking around with shotguns. Country folk would probably just sick there dog(s) on you.

Enjoy the weather there we've been in the humid ninety's here for a short while but I think this Sundays hi is only suppose to reach 89.