PDA

View Full Version : Back in the grove

vaxn8r
06-22-2005, 12:42 AM
Preface. I used to be a cat 3. Of course I was at the same time a med student and resident. That was back in the 80's. Residency killed my conditioning/riding/basically my life for a few years. Then I got back into riding but I never really picked up racing again. We had kids, more kids, work was consumnig. I could train, I train alot, but racing is a lifestyle. A committment. Sure, Over the last 10 years I've raced about 5 times, all road races. Until tonight.

I tried to get out to the 4-5 crit...thought maybe I could hang with those boys. But, they start at 6:00. Do any of these people actually work. I made it out just in time for the 1-2-3 crit. Hmmmmm... How fast do I want to get dropped? Oh well, I figure I'm out here anyway. My ego can take it. So what the heck?

Well, I hung in. Actually better than that. I finshed about 10-12th (not really sure) out of about 40. 45 laps/30+miles. I got stronger as the race went on. The pack splintered. My group of 4 couldn't quite, but almost, recaught the lead group as they jockeyed for the sprint. The rest of the field finished a half lap back. Yeah baby....it felt good!

ERDR
06-22-2005, 03:54 AM
i knew there was a reason why you make me cough up blood every year i come out to eugene.
s.

jeffg
06-22-2005, 04:04 AM
very nice indeed! :beer:

William
06-22-2005, 04:45 AM
Good job Vax. :beer:

Now, if you only had those 28's mounted..... :p

William ;) :)

Too Tall
06-22-2005, 07:08 AM
Just shows to go you that once you've been there you never forget. Racing saavy only comes with experience. You da man.

gasman
06-22-2005, 07:46 AM
Great job Vax. Congratulations. I knew there was a reason I always seemed to sit on your wheel.
I got 4th out of 20 the night before with the beginner cat 5 men. I was pissed as I seemed to have nothing in the tank the whole time. Ah well.
I happy for you man.

bcm119
06-22-2005, 11:23 AM
Vax, congrats. But, I have to say that after riding with you, I'm not that surprised. You have monster power.

Now that you're doing crits again, you need a set of Vigors!

gasman
06-22-2005, 11:27 AM
bcm119-
You should come down for the Monday night crits- you would do well and probably have some fun.
I'm going to maybe go out and watch Vax and the big boys sometime after i get my a@@ beat in the 4/5 's.

vaxn8r
06-22-2005, 02:27 PM
Just shows to go you that once you've been there you never forget. Racing saavy only comes with experience. You da man.

There's a lot of truth to that. Just knowing when you're about to blow chunks and ready to quit...and just then the pace lightens up again and you get to regroup. I also sat in every single chance I got. Not because I had to but because I didn't know my strength. Not to mention it doesn't matter how many laps you lead...only where you finish.

I have to say the Calfee is a dream to race. It is so responsive, handles the 30 mph turns with confidence and grace, accelerates easily. Very nice race bike. Next time I'm going to race on the Reynolds wheels.