PDA

View Full Version : american classic hubs

vqdriver
06-05-2011, 05:27 PM
perhaps some wheelbuilders can chime in, but i'm interested why these aren't more popular when compared to the dt 240s hubs. the am classics are lighter and less expensive. the only drawback i see may be their strength, but i've not read anything negative in that respect.

just curious.

kramnnim
06-05-2011, 05:58 PM
People say the bearings are too small and not sealed well enough. I've been happy with mine, though.

Fixed
06-05-2011, 07:18 PM
shook is a great rider and a bro buy from him he loves bikes and his work
cheers

martinrjensen
06-05-2011, 08:05 PM
I have had no issues with mine. I currently have 2 sets of AM Sprint 350's and had a set of 420's (sold with a bike). I am happy with them.

oldpotatoe
06-06-2011, 07:41 AM
perhaps some wheelbuilders can chime in, but i'm interested why these aren't more popular when compared to the dt 240s hubs. the am classics are lighter and less expensive. the only drawback i see may be their strength, but i've not read anything negative in that respect.

just curious.

Light hubSET because of really teeny bearings that seem to go south really fast. VERY complicated essentially 1 pawl rear, again with little bearings plus the inboard flange of the rear hub on the LH side makes for a weaker wheel.

oldguy00
06-06-2011, 07:44 AM
I had two sets. Bearings were shot in both rear hubs after less than one Summer. As best I could tell, they just aren't sealed well, and despite my best efforts to clean them out, they were trashed.

martinrjensen
06-06-2011, 07:49 AM
When I converted my wheelset from Shimano and swapped out the freehub for a Campy, I did not find it complicated and it also has 2 pawls inside. Don't know about the bearing wear but I have several thousand miles on my set with no issues. They look pretty easy to change out bearings also. That's my findingsLight hubSET because of really teeny bearings that seem to go south really fast. VERY complicated essentially 1 pawl rear, again with little bearings plus the inboard flange of the rear hub on the LH side makes for a weaker wheel.

oldguy00
06-06-2011, 07:50 AM
I wonder if there are different models? I thought mine had more than 2 pawls..

oldpotatoe
06-06-2011, 08:06 AM
I wonder if there are different models? I thought mine had more than 2 pawls..

The big flange one uses a weird star shaped gizmo that has a 'pin' sticking out of the freehub body bottom that turns this whole mechanism and that thing activates 6 pawls, really complicated answer to a simple question. PLUS I change these bearings all the time..seems these and Zipp bearings have a very short life in the wet.

zap
06-06-2011, 10:00 AM
American Classic hubs..........why when better hubs are available including DT.

I had a set of C hubs.

Still have the front. My front bearings went out after 5,000 odd miles and were easy to replace. I replaced the rear hub quickly as I just had to many small problems with it.

bicycletricycle
06-06-2011, 10:04 AM
as a company american classic has been successful by making low weight and low price a priority. As a consequence durability has had to take a back seat. White industry, Shimano, Campagnolo, DT and chris king all make much better hubs from a quality and reliabilty standpoint IMHO.

cmg
06-06-2011, 10:23 AM
have 5 sets of AC sprint 350s on different bikes. all of mine have 6 pawls on a spring loaded racheting system on the rear hub. This lets it spin forever with little resitance when in the coasting mode. the bearings are easly replaced. get them from superfly bearings website to keep them cheap. the small diameter bearings are part of the old front hub. current generation have gone to a large diameter. the general complaint is with the rear hub flange spacing, not as wide on the cassette side as others. supect the lower cost asian hubs will have similar spacing. all of mine were bought off eBay. the first set i bought were rebuilt using DTswiss revos on the front wheel and non-drive side rear with Db14 spokes on the drive side. the rest are with Sapim spokes. the thing to remember with the AC sprint 350s is they use a light rim and if your 180lbs or over they will flex. If you throw your bike around when you sprint they might not be the best choice. i like them because they let me spin up fast, let me climb with ease and when using sub 180gram tires, (conti supersonic on the front) with 50g inner tubes i have the lightest wheel combo i can create. just be aware of the rim limitations and you'll be fine.

Ramjm_2000
06-06-2011, 11:14 AM
I've had good luck with them on the road but had 2 sets crap out early on me before I went King/Hope on my MTBs. Both times the bearing went bad very quickly.