PDA

View Full Version : OT OSX 10.7 Lion

Germany_chris
06-05-2011, 04:42 PM
Any developers out there that can help with virtualization on 10.7

Lifelover
06-05-2011, 06:12 PM
Can't help but I did have an interesting conversation with a guy at the apple store about Lion.

I asked if they were running out of Cats to name the systems after and he said there is much speculation that Lion in the Last of OSX simple because of that.

The only large cat left is the Cougar. We don't see them going there.

130R
06-05-2011, 06:31 PM
Liger is next.

MattTuck
06-05-2011, 06:35 PM

oh, come on! There's plenty more left! ;) saber tooth tiger, catamount or mountain lion (just cougars without the euphemism), bob cat, tasmanian tiger (which appears to be a dog), ummmmm

on second thought, Lion may be the last one. :D :D :D

MattTuck
06-05-2011, 06:36 PM
Liger is next.

Napoleon dynamite will be the new "mac" guy.

BumbleBeeDave
06-05-2011, 09:03 PM
. . . Ocelot!

BBD

rustychisel
06-05-2011, 09:24 PM
try serval, ounce (ok, they've used Snow Leopard all ready), jaguarundi, cougar, cheetah, ocelot, black panther (tech sp of Panthera pardus)...

san
06-05-2011, 10:09 PM
osx cougar. lol

rice rocket
06-05-2011, 11:24 PM
I wonder what OS XI has in store, since we're nearing the end of the Apple's ability to milk more features/money out of the same UI/architecture. OS X has been around since 1999, which is Windows 98 territory. :eek:

130R
06-05-2011, 11:42 PM
if it ain't broke ... ?

Germany_chris
06-06-2011, 04:28 AM
if it ain't broke ... ?

I agree!!

So no help getting virtualization to run huh.

130R
06-06-2011, 11:17 AM
chris, check out www.macrumors.com

johnnymossville
06-06-2011, 12:07 PM
I vote for OSX Nebelung.

benb
06-06-2011, 12:22 PM
I don't know how you claim they are "milking" anything just cause the Major version # has stayed the same.

10.6 is pretty damn different then 10.0 if you were to go install an old copy of 10.0. Apple has certainly changed as much as MS has in that time period. Changing the user interface just for change's sake is usually not a good thing, MS has been very guilty of this the past few releases.

There have been lots and lots of changes under the cover in OSX over the years. 99% of which are just going to make the typical consumers eyes glaze over but whatever, it's still real work and it all contributes even if most people can't understand it.

jpw
06-06-2011, 12:32 PM
My Robert Pirsig moment.

rwsaunders
06-06-2011, 01:40 PM
Labracougar?

Germany_chris
06-06-2011, 01:49 PM
I'm Not sure I like it yet. I'm sure I don't like mail at all, fortunately there's classic view "conversations" are not my thing. Launch pad is cool but it uses a bit more RAM 4gb probably won't cut like it did in 10.5/10.6. The scrolling works like the iPhone (backward) intuitive on a phone counter intuitive with a mouse or on the track pad. Installed it's a bit smaller. It seems to use battery resources a bit better I used to get 8 1/2 hrs with SSD now I'm getting 9. I'm not putting it on the Mac Pro yet because I'm not completely comfortable with it.

Germany_chris
06-06-2011, 01:51 PM
My Robert Pirsig moment.

Zen and the Art of Computer Maintenance??

There is no bolts to clean..

BumbleBeeDave
06-06-2011, 02:02 PM
. . . will be based heavily on the iPad paradigm . . . touch screen, virtual keyboard, etc. They already have their next generation OS in the iPad.

The question now is what device they will come out with that will use the same OS model but meet the needs of heavy duty home and professional users. The needs of these customers demand an interface model beyond the small screen portability of the iPad.

BBD

bigreen505
06-06-2011, 02:20 PM

You're joking, right? This is the company who brought you the iPad.

Germany_chris
06-06-2011, 02:28 PM
. . . will be based heavily on the iPad paradigm . . . touch screen, virtual keyboard, etc. They already have their next generation OS in the iPad.

The question now is what device they will come out with that will use the same OS model but meet the needs of heavy duty home and professional users. The needs of thse customes demand an interface model beyond the small screen portability of the iPad.

BBD

I think we've seen all the iOS/OSX blending we're going to see for 5 or so years. We know the iOS is capable of touch, I'll assume it's built into Lion. We know that projection keyboards are available now and there are pocket size projectors. The A5 processors proved that multicore processing can be used without fans, flash memory is now mainstream. Heres my guess, we have an 1/2 size iPad size device that instead of using a screen projects on the wall and beams the keyboard out. Now your into content creation and can carry it in your pocket.

The bigger question is will Apple give up on workstations in favor of mobile. The iMac uses mobile internals, same for the mac mini. It would seem like it wouldn't be worth it to continue with the Pro. I guess we could debate the merit of the pro, being that a 13" MBP benches higher than an 09 Mac Pro, and with light peek fast external storage is a non-issue. The 15s and 17s are true mobile workstations.

Chris

rice rocket
06-06-2011, 03:14 PM
I agree!!

So no help getting virtualization to run huh.

Are you trying to run a virtualized environment on Lion? Or trying to run Lion in a virtualized environment?

Not sure anyone can help w/ the former unless they're an Apple developer. As for the latter, I don't think the hardware specs have changed? Should install like any other OS on a virtual machine?

Germany_chris
06-06-2011, 03:19 PM
Are you trying to run a virtualized environment on Lion? Or trying to run Lion in a virtualized environment?

Not sure anyone can help w/ the former unless they're an Apple developer. As for the latter, I don't think the hardware specs have changed? Should install like any other OS on a virtual machine?

The former..10.7 DP3 trying to run parallels and Win 7

rice rocket
06-06-2011, 03:27 PM
VMware Fusion is available as a demo, perhaps give that a try?

I've never used Parallels, I only dual boot.

Germany_chris
06-06-2011, 03:35 PM
VMware Fusion is available as a demo, perhaps give that a try?

I've never used Parallels, I only dual boot.

OSX says no virtualization....I was hoping someone had come up with something to fix that, it would seem important too a developer to run a virtual for checking cross platform compatibility.

johnnymossville
06-06-2011, 03:39 PM
Working on and color grading HD video footage still takes a fairly large and accurate screen, and 4K video resolution is here with cameras like the RED. I could see iOS and OS X merging more over the years, but I don't see Apple workstations going away soon.

Germany_chris
06-06-2011, 03:50 PM
Working on and color grading HD video footage still takes a fairly large and accurate screen, and 4K video resolution is here with cameras like the RED. I could see iOS and OS X merging more over the years, but I don't see Apple workstations going away soon.

I hope not, I'd like to buy a sandy-bridge Mac Pro next year..

but my 13" stays "docked" when at home attached to a 24" monitor

benb
06-06-2011, 04:20 PM
Workstations & Macbooks are not going away anytime soon.

Apple requires coders to keep it's ecosystem alive and no one wants to trade their Mac Pro for an ipad or usually even a macbook for development work.

(Yes I know you can code fine on a nice macbook but it's still not the same as a big honking workstation with a bunch of monitors.)

I also don't expect a whole lot more "blending" to happen. Microsoft is going to do that first IMO. Apple has already figured out it's not a good idea and understands you need two separate lines of products and operating systems which are optimal for each type of platform.

Germany_chris
06-06-2011, 04:58 PM
Workstations & Macbooks are not going away anytime soon.

Apple requires coders to keep it's ecosystem alive and no one wants to trade their Mac Pro for an ipad or usually even a macbook for development work.

(Yes I know you can code fine on a nice macbook but it's still not the same as a big honking workstation with a bunch of monitors.)

I also don't expect a whole lot more "blending" to happen. Microsoft is going to do that first IMO. Apple has already figured out it's not a good idea and understands you need two separate lines of products and operating systems which are optimal for each type of platform.

Nothing is better than that!!!!

OK I'm a geek, "Hi my names Chris and I'm a geek"

But in reality I don't fire up the Big mac as much as I used to, the MBP does 80% of what I want..

BumbleBeeDave
06-06-2011, 08:50 PM
From MacRumor . . .

• Release: Mac OS X 10.7 Lion will be released in July, exclusively on the Mac App Store. It will not be available as a DVD or USB Drive except, perhaps, with the purchase of a new Mac.

• Price: $29.99 per user, available on every machine linked to that iTunes account.

If I don't have an account on the iTunes store I can't purchase this software update? They are forcing you to get an iTunes account if you want to update your OS?

BBD

rwsaunders
06-06-2011, 09:15 PM
If I don't have an account on the iTunes store I can't purchase this software update? They are forcing you to get an iTunes account if you want to update your OS? BBD

Don't worry Dave...I'm sure that you can purchase all of your favorite Barry Manilow and ABBA hits on ITunes, as your 8 track player has to be getting bit tired... :cool:

sc53
06-07-2011, 09:42 AM
Dave, if you don't have a newer Intel dual-core machine you can't get this update anyway. Somehow I suspect you have an older Mac? Like, pre-iTunes store? Just stay with Panther, it works fine.

BumbleBeeDave
06-07-2011, 01:11 PM
Dave, if you don't have a newer Intel dual-core machine you can't get this update anyway. Somehow I suspect you have an older Mac? Like, pre-iTunes store? Just stay with Panther, it works fine.

I have a 13" macbook docked to the 24" external monitor just like Chris. Purchased April 2009, 4gb RAM. It is definitely an Intel processor.

My problem with it is Apple seems to be forcing you to get an iTunes account in order to update software that has nothing to do with iTunes. Apple seems to be going the way of Microsoft, finding ways to force you to deal with them and restricting end-user choice in how to do that.

I am not normally an early adopter anyway--still haven't done the Snow Leopard update. But with system software available strictly through download from them, there doesn't seem to be any option for having an emergency system disk. Details on this also seem to be very sketchy at this point. After downloading, do they force you to buy an additional system disk just to have emergency backup? Or will they suddenly make available a new Apple utility software package--also at extra cost--in the near future?

Bottom line is I don't trust Steve Jobs any more than I trust Bill Gates and I'm suspicions that all this is just a scheme for them to get their hands further in my pocket.

BBD

1happygirl
06-07-2011, 05:28 PM
AGGGGGHHH. I don't like what I hear, but they didn't ask me. As a mobile me-er they need to concentrate on the mail program b4 all this other stuff. No smilies, etc. which is no big deal but there is a lot more not to like. I changed all my addresses so I have to ride the horse down or change a 1000 and one emails. They should really concentrate on Safari in my opinion. SAFARI IS ABYSMAL.

It almost seems like they are forcing you to upgrade yr machine hardware a la windows. My 1st gen intel macbook still works fine thank you, but is slowing down. Bleck.

New computer vs new bike parts? hmmmm?

Germany_chris
06-08-2011, 03:08 AM
I have a 13" macbook docked to the 24" external monitor just like Chris. Purchased April 2009, 4gb RAM. It is definitely an Intel processor.

My problem with it is Apple seems to be forcing you to get an iTunes account in order to update software that has nothing to do with iTunes. Apple seems to be going the way of Microsoft, finding ways to force you to deal with them and restricting end-user choice in how to do that.

I am not normally an early adopter anyway--still haven't done the Snow Leopard update. But with system software available strictly through download from them, there doesn't seem to be any option for having an emergency system disk. Details on this also seem to be very sketchy at this point. After downloading, do they force you to buy an additional system disk just to have emergency backup? Or will they suddenly make available a new Apple utility software package--also at extra cost--in the near future?

Bottom line is I don't trust Steve Jobs any more than I trust Bill Gates and I'm suspicions that all this is just a scheme for them to get their hands further in my pocket.

BBD

Ok the nice part about the app store is once you purchased the app it's available to you at all times no matter the computer your on just like if you bought the disk, my big and little mac have the exact same programs stored in the same place in folder called the same thing (thanks U.S. Army). Usually it just downloads and installs the app, but being that this will be an OS the .dmg will have to end up in you downloads folder being that the machine has to reboot. You can take that .dmg and burn it to a dvd, or what I'll do is make a bootable thumb drive for those aw S*** moments. I'm kinda glad this is going to be available through the app store, that way I won't have to wait for it to arrive at the PX since I am obviously and early adapter.

To the older mac comment....Apple stopped PPC support for 10.6 and said so loudly,but my G4 runs 10.5 just fine with the same GUI essentially as 10.6

@happygirl..the mail program for 10.7 is different, but that doesn't imply better . I don't like it personally and I'm thinking of just using Outlook *gag*. I didn't dislike Safari before and I don't dislike it now to use a BSNYC term it's meh. Why is your computer slowing down? If it's slower than new we can fix that, if it just doesn't run new programs as well thats age.

the worst part is no trim support in DP3 which was the whole reason I downloaded it.

My thoughts are this is Apples' Windows Vista except it's $29 ys $160....hopefully I'm wrong

Chris

rice rocket
06-08-2011, 03:11 AM
AGGGGGHHH. I don't like what I hear, but they didn't ask me. As a mobile me-er they need to concentrate on the mail program b4 all this other stuff. No smilies, etc. which is no big deal but there is a lot more not to like. I changed all my addresses so I have to ride the horse down or change a 1000 and one emails. They should really concentrate on Safari in my opinion. SAFARI IS ABYSMAL.

It almost seems like they are forcing you to upgrade yr machine hardware a la windows. My 1st gen intel macbook still works fine thank you, but is slowing down. Bleck.

New computer vs new bike parts? hmmmm?

Don't get a new computer, just get more RAM. It's cheap now (whatever you paid when you got it, it's 1/4 of that now).

Safari sucks. Use Chrome. http://www.google.com/chrome
Mail sucks. Use Sparrow. http://vimeo.com/19659649

Consumer choice rocks. :)

slowandsteady
06-08-2011, 05:55 AM
osx cougar. lol

If you use Cougar the only sensible choice for their next OS is MILF !

1happygirl
06-08-2011, 06:13 AM
Thx RR. U know yr stuff.