PDA

View Full Version : Warm Weather Rain Jacket

Joel
06-05-2011, 01:35 PM
Ok,

I'm perplexed. I am going to be riding in Northern Vietnam in September. It is going to be hot. We are going to be going through the mountains, and there will certainly be periods of rain.

What would you all recommend for a warm weather rain jacket.

Just need something to get through downpours...

I don't want to spend a fortune.

It won't get used much past this trip.

Thanks!

Joel

jamesutiopia
06-05-2011, 01:40 PM
I like ye olde O2 Rain Jacket (http://www.amazon.com/Rain-Shield-Hooded-Jackets-Yellow/dp/B001CSVFQC), but usually skip the rain coat when it's hot out

TimmyB
06-05-2011, 01:47 PM
It's been a couple years, but when I was in vietnam around that time of year there is no way I'd want to be wearing a rainjacket while on the bike... the amount of sweat you'd produce will get you just as wet as any rain would! The problem I think you'll run into is that the "breathable" rainjackets all cost an arm and a leg. You'll want as breathable a jacket as possible in the heat... My vote is to ditch it. Just make sure your phone/wallet/ipod are in a ziplock. Then again I'm one of the few that enjoys riding in the rain and don't mind getting wet as long as I can stay warm so our perspectives may be a little different :D

merckx
06-05-2011, 01:48 PM
My favorites are the Assos Clima vest, and the Rapha rain jacket.

LouDeeter
06-05-2011, 02:03 PM
If you can wear a large, I have a nice cycling jacket I can send you for $20 shipped. Has world championship stripes. Can send pics.

Bob Loblaw
06-05-2011, 02:52 PM
If it's going to be warm, why worry about it? Just make sure your cell is in a ziploc baggie. Other than that, get wet, dry out, repeat. That's what I do.

BL

Bob Loblaw
06-05-2011, 02:52 PM
Yes...exactly this.

It's been a couple years, but when I was in vietnam around that time of year there is no way I'd want to be wearing a rainjacket while on the bike... the amount of sweat you'd produce will get you just as wet as any rain would! The problem I think you'll run into is that the "breathable" rainjackets all cost an arm and a leg. You'll want as breathable a jacket as possible in the heat... My vote is to ditch it. Just make sure your phone/wallet/ipod are in a ziplock. Then again I'm one of the few that enjoys riding in the rain and don't mind getting wet as long as I can stay warm so our perspectives may be a little different :D

jpw
06-05-2011, 03:51 PM
A cape.

victoryfactory
06-05-2011, 04:12 PM
I totally agree with the "skip it" approach.
There is nothing that works while riding in that climate
despite what the marketeers will tell you

VF

Steve in SLO
06-05-2011, 05:03 PM
Agree with skipping it.
When I lived in Hawaii, my basic rule was the more rain, the less clothes. You dry quicker.

Joel
06-06-2011, 06:25 AM
Thanks everyone! I'll just do what I normally do here in steamy Orlando when I get rained on...ride till I dry off!

Joel

veloduffer
06-06-2011, 07:22 AM
Rain poncho for cycling. you'll still need something for your feet and legs but nothing breathes better. The Vaude Poncho (http://www.vaude.com/epages/Vaude-de.sf/en_BE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Vaude/Products/02285/SubProducts/022852000200) is recommended.

Here's someone's http://www.velofun.us/Gear%202005/g16_rain_ponchos.htmblog on rain jacket and Vaude poncho: