PDA

View Full Version : Meivici AE Impressions

jkarbel
06-05-2011, 07:25 AM
I'm considering acquiring a Meivici AE road frame. Given the expense of building one, I'm curious to hear others impressions of the riding characteristics of this newest version of Serotta's vision.

A bit about me for background. I'm 5'6" and 144 pounds. I ride recreationally/competitively but I don't race. I like to ride fast and want a bike that can handle my appetites for speed. All the usual permutations apply. I climb a lot. Love to descend fast and take risks. My recent fitness allows me to put the power down on the flats as never before. The aero characteristics of this frame are intriguing as I wonder if they would allow me to go even faster than my current setup.

My A bike is a Parlee Z3, Sram Red, Reynolds 46C wheels, Ritchey fork and cockpit. This bike is no slouch and is still after 5 years the best thing I've ever ridden. Stiff in the bottom bracket and all day comfortable at less than 15 pounds as described, pedals, computer and bottle cages included!

Your first hand impressions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

oldpotatoe
06-05-2011, 07:31 AM
I'm considering acquiring a Meivici AE road frame. Given the expense of building one, I'm curious to hear others impressions of the riding characteristics of this newest version of Serotta's vision.

A bit about me for background. I'm 5'6" and 144 pounds. I ride recreationally/competitively but I don't race. I like to ride fast and want a bike that can handle my appetites for speed. All the usual permutations apply. I climb a lot. Love to descend fast and take risks. My recent fitness allows me to put the power down on the flats as never before. The aero characteristics of this frame are intriguing as I wonder if they would allow me to go even faster than my current setup.

My A bike is a Parlee Z3, Sram Red, Reynolds 46C wheels, Ritchey fork and cockpit. This bike is no slouch and is still after 5 years the best thing I've ever ridden. Stiff in the bottom bracket and all day comfortable at less than 15 pounds as described, pedals, computer and bottle cages included!

Thanks in advance!

Might be tough but ya gotta ride one for an extended test ride to really know what the 'riding characteristics' are to you.

What is one person's 'sweet' is another person's 'sour'.

Pete Serotta
06-05-2011, 09:37 AM
another input is send a note to Andy Hart "Dummy" here in Raleigh, he has one and he is about your size.

pete

happycampyer
06-05-2011, 09:54 AM
Not sure if Cycle Center in Stamford has built up many AE's, but you could stop down to Signature in Greenwich. I've met a couple of customers there that have AE's (among other bikes) and like them, so you might be able to get some feedback from them.

Personally, I think an aero road bike is unnecessary, since one's body position on a road bike is rarely in an optimal position aerodynamically anyway, and the bike contributes far less to the overall aero picture than body position does. I definitely would consider an AE or a Parlee custom tt bike if I were doing triathlons etc. and was unable to find a tt bike that fit properly.

John H.
06-05-2011, 10:48 AM
I would get soemthing else. Mevici AE is a nice bike but not really aero IMO- more faux aero.
If you can fit a Specialized Venge, Cervelo S3, or the new Scott- they are more aero,
If you need custom have Parlee make you a custom tt in road geometry!

jlwdm
06-05-2011, 12:08 PM

Jeff

jpw
06-05-2011, 12:22 PM
It isn't clear why the Parlee is now not enough of a bike. You want to go faster?

T.J.
06-05-2011, 02:03 PM
If you are looking ar the AE for increased speed I think you are barking up the wrong tree. If you want a new bike because you want a new bike well, that totally understandable

John H.
06-05-2011, 05:44 PM
Do you already have a set of super aero wheels like Zipp Firecrest or those new Enve 6.7? Thay will make more of a difference than a frame?
Also aero jersey like Giodana Forma will be faster than regular jersey.

Lifelover
06-05-2011, 06:08 PM

Thanks in advance!

To my knowledge there are not any frequent posting forum members riding an AE so you are not likely to get any first hand accounts.

You got a great bike and there is NO bike out there that is going to make you measurably faster. Especially since nobody is measuring your speed.

Serotta has been making KICK ASS race bike for a very long time and is a true industry leader in carbon.

There is no question that they could make you the bike of your dreams.

Get one and become the forum spokes person for it.

SamIAm
06-05-2011, 06:17 PM
Do you already have a set of super aero wheels like Zipp Firecrest or those new Enve 6.7? Thay will make more of a difference than a frame?

I'm going to second this.

Bob Ross
06-05-2011, 06:33 PM
It isn't clear why the Parlee is now not enough of a bike. You want to go faster?

This.

I don't mean to denigrate the Serotta in the least; it is no doubt a totally badass bike. I also completely understand the N+1 impulse, and if you want to get another bike just to have another bike, I say your reasoning is impeccible.

But if you think a Meivici is going to offer something tangible and overt that a Parlee Z3 doesn't, methinks you're splitting hairs, because A) you currently own a totally badass bike; and B) in the grand scheme of things they're not that different.

Nothing wrong with owning two totally badass bikes, of course. I'd grab a Meivici in a heartbeat...presuming I already owned all the other bikes I lust for unjustifiably!

Joachim
06-05-2011, 06:36 PM
Welcome to the forum! Owning more than 1 bike will not be judged, it will be encouraged.

And if that means believing the AE will be faster, so be it (I believe Super Record brakes make me faster)

:D

cfox
06-06-2011, 06:39 AM
How can you ride competitively if you don't race...? Seriously though, buy an AE if it moves your pants, not because you think it will make you faster. It won't. There is nothing wrong with being over-equipped (I certainly am). Owning cool crap is fun; just don't delude yourself into thinking there is some objective reason or 'need' for it.

BillG
06-06-2011, 06:56 AM
(I believe Super Record brakes make me faster)

:D

They probably do. You're probably afraid to brake so as not to wear the expensive brake pads. And not braking = faster.

djg
06-06-2011, 07:43 AM
I'm a Serotta fan -- HSG road, GP Suisse Ti cross bike, and an older CSi now doing duty as a fixed gear road bike. No first hand experience with the Meivici -- and I bet it rocks -- but it's hard to see how you'd get much of a performance advantage unless you're solving a fit/balance/setup problem that you have with your current bike.

Sometimes having something just feel right makes a subjective difference, that ends up making an objective difference -- because you push harder, or get psyched or whatever -- but I suspect those sorts of differences are fleeting. And maybe the Parlee is not quite right for you in some way -- I have no idea. But if it fits and is setup properly, I would not guess that the Parlee is holding you back.

Somebody has the right models and wind tunnel data to (maybe) give you a reasonable sense of the half mph you might get here or there, under the right conditions, with aero tubes. But even in TT mode, holding your fitness and power constant, it's more about the position first, then the wheels, then maybe your kit (helmet, shoe covers, even gloves), and then maybe the tubes. All good if it interests you, or if your results depend on a tick of the clock (or you need to know that you're not surrendering a tick of the clock up front). For thrashing it out in a town line sprint or pushing yourself on a challenging climb? If the bike gives you confidence, then maybe you push harder, but I wouldn't expect any but the most marginal performance advantages. And descending is going to be more about you descending skills and confidence, and the stability of the bike -- again, feeling right can make a big difference, but I wouldn't expect aero tubes to help much or to solve a non-existent problem.

If it's your dream bike, and the money is fine, go for it. Enjoy. Basically, I would expect it to be an awesome bike, but I would not expect it to allow you to ride with a different class of folks, or to substantially change your place in whatever pecking order you notice. I just wouldn't.

SPOKE
06-06-2011, 09:45 AM
I'm the guy that did the fitting, specifications & build of the AE that is owned by "Dummy". Feel free to contact me with any questions.
Cheers!

Joachim
06-06-2011, 09:54 AM
They probably do. You're probably afraid to brake so as not to wear the expensive brake pads. And not braking = faster.

I should get a cheap pair of cycling shoes so that I can use them to brake instead (fixie style) and save the brake pads.

Apology for the thread drift. I couldn't resist.

sbparker31
06-06-2011, 10:02 AM
Better yet, I bet you can remove the super record cassette, drill a small hole in the freehub body, install a small self-tapping screw (titanium, of course), reinstall the cassette, and presto, you won't have some pesky freehub spinning. Then you can just leisurely backpedal to a stop. Also gets rid of that annoying clicking sound.