PDA

View Full Version : Chrome

shinomaster
06-21-2005, 05:16 PM
What ever happened to putting chrome onto steel bikes??? I love chrome stays and lugs....Oh the days of chrome are gone.. :confused:

Sandy
06-21-2005, 05:20 PM
I have a chrome head. Does that count??

Sandy

shinomaster
06-21-2005, 05:31 PM
Sa :banana: ndy ....you kill me!! ha ha ha...

rnhood
06-21-2005, 05:36 PM
I like chrome too. One reason it is not as prevalent today is that hexavalent chrome, an important ingredient in a good chrome plating process, has been declared a potential occupational carcinogen therefore like lead, cadmium and other heavy metals, there is a move underway to minimize these elements in our daily lives.

There are other iterations of chrome plating but, I am not familiar with them. As a matter of fact, I am not familiar with any chrome plating process. I am just repeating some informtion that I have heard.

Having said that, I believe Mariposa will likely build a chrome plated frame if the potential owner takes the risk that the headtube does not chip when the headset is inserted.

But a good quality chrome plated bike is a sight to behold.

CJH
06-21-2005, 06:10 PM
I believe JB has prices listed for various chrome processes (stays, forks etc.).
However I've been told many a time the resone for the lack of chrome is environmental legislation which in turn has made the cost of chrome prohibitive?! Is that partly just an excuse? For anyone watching discovery channel it's quite evident that they chrome the h#ll out of that motorCYCLE stuff! So why shouldn't it be available for classic steel steads?! Maybe those biker dudes just have alot more dough?! Regardless bring back the bling!!!

William
06-21-2005, 06:31 PM
These guys will do some chrome for you Shino. :cool:

William

www.pacificcoastchoppers.com/ thebikes.htm

shinomaster
06-21-2005, 06:46 PM
does chrome add a lot of weight to a frame???

It's true those choppers have more chrome on them that 10 Italian frames put together.. :no:

Dr. Doofus
06-21-2005, 07:45 PM
chrome adds weight

but looks *****in

shino, you need a vanilla with chromed newvex lugs, fork, and rear triangle

you'd be the eurasian sensation, baby

cycleman_21
06-21-2005, 07:57 PM
MMMMMMM chrome, I said that awhile back, I miss chrome, it was nice as a standard but can get pricey as an afterthought.
On older frames I used to remember seeing chrome tape on the forks, when done right would last awhile and can be replaced when dinged up, hey now there's a new market, chrome duct tape :cool: :) :rolleyes:

RC

oracle
06-21-2005, 11:18 PM
does chrome add a lot of weight to a frame???

It's true those choppers have more chrome on them that 10 Italian frames put together.. :no:

only if you're chroming an 850g carbon frame.... otherwise, just sit back, relax, and listen to the 8-track.

pracle

shinomaster
06-21-2005, 11:47 PM
I have a Beta max on my bike not an 8 track....ha ha ha..

MAybe I can get a chromed Vanilla???

shinomaster
06-21-2005, 11:54 PM
The one thing I do know about chrome from my ceramics background is that chrome is toxic as Hell. I'm not surprised it is regulated and that people don't want to do it.
I just see irony in all the old cheap Schwinn bikes here in portland with beautiful metalic paint and full chromed forks and stays. So much effort was put into the aesthetics of these bikes, and seemingly so little goes into the typical new bike.

cycleman_21
06-22-2005, 04:39 AM
Most trends and tastes go in cycles, (pun intended) what once was will be again, just like history loves to repeat itself, theres only so many paint schemes.

RC

zap
06-22-2005, 08:26 AM
I thought only Walmart type bikes had chrome :rolleyes:

Best solution is to use polished stainless steel. It's elegant, green, lighter, durable.

And it's not kitch.

csb
06-22-2005, 08:53 AM
chrome* is for looking up girls** skirts

* a chrome(r) is a steelhead fresh into the river from the ocean
** read women

e-RICHIE
06-22-2005, 09:02 AM
chrome* is for looking up girls** skirts

* a chrome(r) is a steelhead fresh into the river from the ocean
** read women

and they say men lack depth...

weisan
06-22-2005, 09:51 AM
and they say men** lack depth...

** read boys

shinomaster
06-22-2005, 01:42 PM
cool, but how do you look up the skirt with chrome?? Chrome shoes??

csb
06-22-2005, 01:44 PM
jasper johns _ school days

shinomaster
06-22-2005, 01:50 PM
Nice...My friend Jimmy Mazzaracco just walker around with a hand mirror..