PDA

View Full Version : Gel Bar tape

shankldu
06-04-2011, 12:16 PM
Does it work, is it worthwhile, I have never tried it, and have a long commute, and in need of something!

jpw
06-04-2011, 12:28 PM
I have gel strips under my normal bar tape. It helps some. Try it. You have to experiment with different gel positions and the wrap of the tape over it. Not too tight or the gel will be too compressed and ineffective. Try double wrap tape too. Some say the Easton 90 series carbon bar reduces vibration. I've not tried them.

I big tire at reduced pressure also helps. A longer stem with some flex can also help a bit.

I sometimes go for my RS Paris Roubaix suspension fork on my cross frame if I'm suffering with my periodic left wrist ache, but touch wood this year I've not had that issue.

SteveV0983
06-04-2011, 12:30 PM
I have nerve problems in my neck which results in tingling in my fingers. I used to double tape, but then I switched to Fizik Gel inserts with Bontrager gel tape and it has helped dramatically.

Tim
06-04-2011, 02:13 PM
I use the Specialized stuff- works great!

Dekonick
06-04-2011, 04:13 PM
why not get the best? Handlebra.

veloduffer
06-04-2011, 05:07 PM
Bontrager's gel tape is excellent. It is thick (almost like double taping) but wears well and nice colors. It comes plenty long, so no worries about how much you wrap it. I prefer it over Fizik, Deda, Cinelli and other tapes. Specialized Phat tape is also good - not as thick but it comes with the gel bits underneath. It has more texture, a bit like hockey tape, whereas Bontrager is smooth with the "B" logo as dimples.

Handlebra is good but is thin, and expensive - not what I would want for a commuting bike. I've got it on some bikes but it can be scuffed like shoe leather.

Germany_chris
06-04-2011, 05:15 PM
I like Bontrager also, though gel tape is reserved for off road drops in my case..

MRB
06-04-2011, 05:50 PM
Gel Tape (I use Cinelli on one bike and Bontrger on another) and gloves with Get inserts. (Pearl Izumi I think) are a godsend. I find these gel products to be very helpful in recucing upper body pains. I highly recommend them, and what the heck, they are a cheap investment / experiment.

Ahneida Ride
06-04-2011, 06:55 PM
Handlebra over cheapo cork is fantastic !

Get a nice mushy cork underlaymen

Pyramor
06-04-2011, 10:09 PM
I use thin, 1/8 inch cork sheet, cut to size and shape over hockey tape and under regular handlebar tape. You can use double thickness if you want more cushion. I got the cork at a local craft store. Works great and very inexpensive.

fogrider
06-05-2011, 12:39 AM
I big tire at reduced pressure also helps. A longer stem with some flex can also help a bit.

I agree with less pressure in the front tire, a few psi should help, but not a longer or flex in the stem. a longer stem would change your position which will likely effect fit and comfort and flex in the stem is the worst for handling and control.

Ahneida Ride
06-05-2011, 10:38 AM
I use thin, 1/8 inch cork sheet, cut to size and shape over hockey tape and under regular handlebar tape. You can use double thickness if you want more cushion. I got the cork at a local craft store. Works great and very inexpensive.

Now that is a brilliant idea !!!!!!

Mattbotak
06-05-2011, 09:17 PM
I've been using the Cinelli Gel tape for the last 4 years and love it. It really does dampen the vibration.