PDA

View Full Version : The $800 - 1000 bike?

roguedog
06-04-2011, 09:23 AM
Have a fitness credit from work that will reimburse up to $800 that can be put towards a fully built bike from a business that will provide a real sales receipt (no used bikes. boo but I get why).

Been mulling over this for a bit but nothing really catches my eye.

Plus, I'm saving for what I really want, a custom frame. However, it seems a shame to not use this opportunity so I wouldn't mind kicking in a few bucks to get something that might be interesting or fun.

Since I've been thinking about this, I actually thought it might be a fun question to throw out there and might help me out at the same time.

If this were you with the constraints above, what would you get?

Fixed
06-04-2011, 09:28 AM
fixed gear under a grand buys a decent ride
cheers

Lifelover
06-04-2011, 10:11 AM
It greatly depends on what riding options you have locally and what bikes you already have.

However, I suspect you might be shocked by the quality of bike you can get new for $1000.

Pick any style, MTB (even FS), commuter, road, Fitness, Fixed, Cross, anything. You can get as good of a bike as you would EVER need.

Tell us more about what you already have and where you live.

roguedog
06-04-2011, 10:37 AM
Actually thought it'd be interesting to see what others would get and then get ideas from that...

But I'm ok if it's jsut about me :)

Ok.. a bit more info.

I've got a Riv Atlantis that I used already as a commuter. I already have a fast bike (peg) and a frame that originally was going to be built up as a fixed. My Riv and Peg are my go to bikes at the moment.

LifeLover - Believe me I know I don't deserve what I've got. My problem isn't that I'm a snob but rather one of space. Live in what used to be Sunny California (it's raining.. again.. wth?) in a small condo where the breakfast nook area is already the bike parking lot. heh. :rolleyes: And I just cleaned out my parking space downstairs from the bike projects I thought I'd get to.

It's more of a "what deserves to take up the space I just cleaned up" and/or a "what will I really use/ride" type of thought.

Ideas I've been kicking around:

Xootr Swift
Salsa Fargo (though this exceeds the budget. I'm kinda captured by the whole "off the beaten track" of it.
Some fixed/SS (recommendations?)
Something kinda classic like 3 speed or a Masi Soulville.
Geared bike I can use as my rainy day bike

Ken Robb
06-04-2011, 10:57 AM
I sounds like you need a mountain bike.

fourflys
06-04-2011, 11:15 AM
I'd be thinking about a cafe cruiser like the Soulville or some of the Electra stuff.... the Tichino is really nice... also take a look at the Swobo stuff...

Nil Else
06-04-2011, 11:25 AM
A couple of years ago I bought a Mongoose FS MTB w/Fox suspensions & XT (I don't do much of MTB and this is my only mtb) for little over a grand when it was on sale(a $2000 bike) at Performance (+ 20% cpn code and membership discount). It's been fine for my use... I'll swap the frame when I find a Moots, IF or something.

Like it was mentioned there are many choices for single/fixie.

rice rocket
06-04-2011, 11:37 AM
Sounds like they reimburse up to $800, but doesn't prevent you from spending more. Think of it as like a 20% discount on a $4k bike. Or something.

Steve in SLO
06-04-2011, 11:50 AM
Another thought: Do you have a family member who might want a bike?

rugbysecondrow
06-04-2011, 01:01 PM
Surly Cross Check.

Here is a fully built one in a geared option. A local shop might be able to build you a SS version for less so you can get the sales receipt.

http://www.bikeman.com/BK7162.html?utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_medium=GoogleBase&utm_campaign=GoogleBase

http://www.amazon.com/Surly-Cross-Check-Complete-Gravy/dp/B0025UEJ0K

fourflys
06-04-2011, 01:07 PM
also look at Bikes Direct... you can get a great parts selection that you can swap to another bike if needed...

something like this (http://bikenhike.com/product/electra-ticino-8d-61387-1.htm) would be awesome for that Sunday morning jaunt to the coffee shop... and it looks to be right around $800...

http://bikereviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/electra-ticino-8d-2010-city-bike.jpg

Fixed
06-04-2011, 01:35 PM
http://www.wabicycles.com/special_bike_spec_red.html
cheers

pdmtong
06-04-2011, 02:33 PM
Sounds like they reimburse up to $800, but doesn't prevent you from spending more. Think of it as like a 20% discount on a $4k bike. Or something.

find a last years tarmac (etc.) on closeout, kick in a few bucks and when you get your custom, use this as your beater/rain

etu
06-04-2011, 02:53 PM
How about not buying anything?
Not trying to be smug. Just a suggestion. If it's not want you want, don't force yourself. No harm in saving some money for your company either.

rice rocket
06-04-2011, 03:01 PM
How about not buying anything?
Not trying to be smug. Just a suggestion. If it's not want you want, don't force yourself. No harm in saving some money for your company either.

I doubt it saves them any money directly, insurance companies are offering this in attempt to lower their liability in the OR. The less heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and obesity related cases that they have the pay out on, the better for them.

classtimesailer
06-04-2011, 05:21 PM
If you live near Venice, go look at Linus Bikes for the 3 speed thing. If you have money leftover, put a Brooks on it. REI has some pretty neat "Townie" bikes. I always wanted one of those Redline big wheel single speeds.

jr59
06-04-2011, 05:40 PM

This^^^^

topher
06-04-2011, 06:12 PM
If they will reimburse you for $800 on a more expensive bike, great - just do that.

Otherwise, you could go the bikesdirect route - buy a complete bike with 105 or triple Ultegra (both currently selling for $799); strip it down; sell the frame on ebay, and have your group already to go once you find the frame you want...

Might be a lot of work, but might get you the furthest.

Chris

Lewym
06-04-2011, 06:30 PM
How about one of these (http://publicbikes.com/p/PUBLIC-D3)?

Lifelover
06-04-2011, 07:32 PM
Actually thought it'd be interesting to see what others would get and then get ideas from that...

But I'm ok if it's jsut about me :)

Ok.. a bit more info.

I've got a Riv Atlantis that I used already as a commuter. I already have a fast bike (peg) and a frame that originally was going to be built up as a fixed. My Riv and Peg are my go to bikes at the moment.

LifeLover - Believe me I know I don't deserve what I've got. My problem isn't that I'm a snob but rather one of space. Live in what used to be Sunny California (it's raining.. again.. wth?) in a small condo where the breakfast nook area is already the bike parking lot. heh. :rolleyes: And I just cleaned out my parking space downstairs from the bike projects I thought I'd get to.

It's more of a "what deserves to take up the space I just cleaned up" and/or a "what will I really use/ride" type of thought.

Ideas I've been kicking around:

Xootr Swift
Salsa Fargo (though this exceeds the budget. I'm kinda captured by the whole "off the beaten track" of it.
Some fixed/SS (recommendations?)
Something kinda classic like 3 speed or a Masi Soulville.
Geared bike I can use as my rainy day bike

I like variety but I'm often too cheap to risk trying something new. If I had $800 for a free bike I would try something completely different.

Maybe a belt Drive Like the Trek District.

http://www.sunshinebicycle.com/new/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/2010-trek-district-olive.jpg

However, it really sounds like you would benefit most from a decent Hard tail MTB. plenty of option in that price range.

Slap some semi slick on it and they are amazingly adept to all surfaces.

Bob Loblaw
06-04-2011, 07:35 PM
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/mercier/corvus_al_xi.htm

pdmtong
06-04-2011, 07:44 PM
I like variety but I'm often too cheap to risk trying something new. If I had $800 for a free bike I would try something completely different. Maybe a belt Drive Like the Trek District.

I have a 2010 district belt. the grey one with orange B43's.
That bike is a serious blast. smooth. quiet. a lot of fun. havent fixed a flat yet though...unclear if the belt will be a pita in that regard. lifelover - great idea....

dancinkozmo
06-04-2011, 08:24 PM
http://www.rei.com/product/811554/cannondale-synapse-6-compact-bike-2011

or specialized allez steel 720 bucks :

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCProduct.jsp?spid=51608&scid=1001&scname=Road

AngryScientist
06-04-2011, 08:37 PM
didnt read all of the replys, off the top of my head, i say a good fun $800 dollar bike would be a fixed/SS cross bike. clearance for bigger tires, no drivetrain expense, lots of fun.

do it. do it now.

Nautilus
06-04-2011, 08:48 PM
Does it have to be a complete bike?

Could you buy a frame, or some components? Maybe a nice wheel set?

InspectorGadget
06-04-2011, 10:47 PM
Let me be the third to say that $800 is a pretty handsome discount on a custom bike.

Otherwise I quite like the Electra Ticino and the Trek District.

mtnbke
06-05-2011, 12:43 AM
Have a fitness credit from work that will reimburse up to $800 that can be put towards a fully built bike from a business that will provide a real sales receipt (no used bikes. boo but I get why).

Been mulling over this for a bit but nothing really catches my eye.

Plus, I'm saving for what I really want, a custom frame. However, it seems a shame to not use this opportunity so I wouldn't mind kicking in a few bucks to get something that might be interesting or fun.

Since I've been thinking about this, I actually thought it might be a fun question to throw out there and might help me out at the same time.

If this were you with the constraints above, what would you get?

Put it toward that custom Serotta you've always wanted. Its worth the extra bucks...

However, if you're going to only use the $800 that's not going to get you much more than a Serotta fork.

$990 gets you a custom Curtlo, so you're almost there...

BengeBoy
06-05-2011, 09:32 AM
I'd get a Dahon folder.

Would love to have a folding bike for travel, and a $800 coupon might put me over the edge.

maximus
06-05-2011, 10:57 AM
All-City Nature Boy. Single Speed Cyclocross that can double as a commuter.

Thats what I would do at least ;) GL on the search.

That is a very cool perk from your biz. Wish my co. did the same.

DRZRM
06-05-2011, 11:58 PM
Well, I'll likely get flamed for this, but why not get something from a big store with a return policy (Performance or the like), send whatever documentation you need to to the insurance company, and then return the bike (new in box of course) for something you actually need towards your next bike? Store credit means they actually get some money off the deal if you spend the credit with them, no harm done?

Fixed
06-06-2011, 09:09 AM
All-City Nature Boy. Single Speed Cyclocross that can double as a commuter.

Thats what I would do at least ;) GL on the search.

That is a very cool perk from your biz. Wish my co. did the same.
+ 1....
i like that good deal on a new ride
cheers

rice rocket
06-06-2011, 09:20 AM
Well, I'll likely get flamed for this, but why not get something from a big store with a return policy (Performance or the like), send whatever documentation you need to to the insurance company, and then return the bike (new in box of course) for something you actually need towards your next bike? Store credit means they actually get some money off the deal if you spend the credit with them, no harm done?
That's called fraud, buddy.

roguedog
06-06-2011, 10:10 AM
Thanks for all the thoughts. I've actually learned a bit.

I really like that Wabi cycles and if I decide to go fixed/ss, they are definitely at the top of the list. I might just get some of the fixed/ss stuff from him when and if I decide to build up the frame down stairs.

I've always been curious about the REI bikes. Anyone know who makes them? Are they relabeled brands or does REI work directly with some OEM and have them made for them?

To your guys' point about using the 800 towards something I'd want, I've also put an indoor cycle (cycleops (http://www.competitivecyclist.com/product-accessories/2011-cycleops-200-pro-indoor-cycle-8602.48.1.html) ) on the list.

At this point, I just have to figure out what I think I will actually use. I only have like til next week I think before the credit expires.

Obviously, feel free to throw more ideas out there. Love the knowledge sharing on here.

Dekonick
06-06-2011, 04:47 PM
Another vote for the cross-check. Great all around frame, and can be had for under a grand complete.

You did say it was raining more right?!? :o

It takes fenders...

the ill postino
06-07-2011, 09:39 AM
I've got a Riv Atlantis [...] I already have a fast bike (peg) and a frame that originally was going to be built up as a fixed.[...]Xootr Swift [...] Something kinda classic like 3 speed or a Masi Soulville.

Get a three speed Brompton! (You'll have to dish out a few hundred extra). You've got mountain/touring, speed, and (potentially) fixed gear covered, so a folder is the way to go, IMHO. Brompton's are classic/classy, three speed, and a blast to ride. Great rain/foul weather bike too, since it's so easy to fold up for a bus/train/taxi or to hop in to a cafe for a warm up.

the ill postino
06-07-2011, 09:56 AM
Obviously, feel free to throw more ideas out there.

Another $1000 bike from the somewhat eccentric end of the spectrum that can potentially change where, when, and how often you ride:

http://www.xtracycle.com/cargo-bicycles/radish-cargo-bike/radish-2010.html

I'm a fan of bike stable diversification, so I say get something dramatically different from what you already have.

johnnymossville
06-07-2011, 10:52 AM
Jamis Coda Elite.

http://jamisbikes.com/usa/thebikes/street/coda/11_codaelite.html

Thinking of one of these myself for commuting.

mraceebb
06-07-2011, 10:56 AM
Something for dirt-road if you're interested in riding such. I think a hard tail would be a good addition or maybe a Karate Monkey from Surly could be fun.

I like the extracycle idea above, though if space is an issue already...

Fixed
06-07-2011, 12:39 PM
hit of the neighborhood
cheers

dancinkozmo
06-07-2011, 01:22 PM
Another vote for the cross-check. Great all around frame, and can be had for under a grand complete.

You did say it was raining more right?!? :o

It takes fenders...

+1 i LOVE my crosscheck

johnnymossville
06-07-2011, 01:37 PM
hit of the neighborhood
cheers

Nice! only problem, I'd just get that up over 20mph during a training ride and some kid would be waving a quarter at me for an Ice-Pop.

Grumbs
06-07-2011, 05:23 PM
The Bruce Gordon BLT is being discontinued. You can get one, fully built, for under a grand -- with racks.

the ill postino
06-07-2011, 05:28 PM
The Bruce Gordon BLT is being discontinued. You can get one, fully built, for under a grand -- with racks.

That's a cool bike and interesting alternative to the cross check or trucker, but that price is for a frameset plus racks so fully built is closer to 2 grand. "That means $750 (BLT) + $975 (Parts Package) = $1725 (+ shipping & handling*) for a complete bike!"

93legendti
06-07-2011, 09:13 PM
I really like my Salsa Casseroll

Ti Designs
06-09-2011, 10:36 AM
I'm now riding a Specialized Allez. Cheap bikes these days take advantage of what was learned in making all of the expensive bikes of the past. The new Allez frame shares a number of design elements with their top of the line carbon bikes, so it's far better than the price indicates.