PDA

View Full Version : Best prices for Campy gruppo?

chakatrain
06-03-2011, 06:45 PM
Hi all...I did a quick search but couldn't find a thread. Sorry if this is a repeat.

I'm looking for a good online store to buy a campy record 11 speed gruppo for an incoming pegoretti responsorium. Haven't bought anything this large online before. Any recommendations to good, reputable online shops with decent prices?

dancinkozmo
06-03-2011, 06:51 PM
...if you want to buy in the us lictons is pretty good:

http://www.lickbike.com/

otherwise the UK online places (ribble, pbk, shinybikes etc are hard to beat_)

terrytnt
06-03-2011, 07:13 PM
DITTO, Lickbike is competitive with EU prices and it's an American business... that's good enough for me.

Just purchase a Campy Record Revolution 11 from Lickbike at a terrific price.

Let's buy American when we can!

maunahaole
06-03-2011, 07:23 PM
If you call Lickton's you may get the pleasure of talking to Bob, too. Oh joy.

NRRider
06-03-2011, 07:44 PM
Another place that I found has good prices on Campy stuff, and based in the US, is http://www.texascyclesport.com. Just went through to check their prices and a 2011 Record 11 group with 12-27 cassette is $1468 (make sure you apply the discount code INRB). Not sure if that's good or not, but they seem competitive. I bought a set of Record brakes from them a few months ago and it went well.

jr59
06-03-2011, 08:06 PM
velomine

mandasol
06-03-2011, 08:19 PM
Another place that I found has good prices on Campy stuff, and based in the US, is http://www.texascyclesport.com. Just went through to check their prices and a 2011 Record 11 group with 12-27 cassette is $1468 (make sure you apply the discount code INRB). Not sure if that's good or not, but they seem competitive. I bought a set of Record brakes from them a few months ago and it went well.

sign up for their emails and you'll get discount codes and specials for bikes and groups

billythekid
06-03-2011, 08:21 PM
I've had my eye on that Athena alloy group for a while now. It just looks so good imo. I hear it don't perform bad either

Jeff N.
06-03-2011, 10:44 PM
http://www.eurobikeparts.com Bought many groups from these guys. Free shipping, at my door in a heartbeat. Jeff N.

dd74
06-03-2011, 10:54 PM
Good stuff, as I need an 11-speed cassette.

akelman
06-03-2011, 11:47 PM
Another vote for Velomine. Call them for the best price (make sure you know what the going rate is from Ribble or PBK or wherever has the best deal at the moment; Velomine probably won't match but will come close). They're very nice guys. And what you buy will carry a full warranty from Campy. That won't be true if you make your purchase overseas.

learlove
06-04-2011, 12:52 AM
Hi all...I did a quick search but couldn't find a thread. Sorry if this is a repeat.

I'm looking for a good online store to buy a campy record 11 speed gruppo for an incoming pegoretti responsorium. Haven't bought anything this large online before. Any recommendations to good, reputable online shops with decent prices?

it's called your local bike shop. thanks for your support.

jr59
06-04-2011, 05:28 AM
it's called your local bike shop. thanks for your support.

I would LOVE to be able to go to my LBS, or ANY local LBS and find a Campy group, or most any other 11 speed ANYTHING! I would buy it there for sure, even if the price was 25% more.

But, I will not go in and them tell me "I can get it for you". I can get it myself, and for less $$$, and I don't have to make another trip in.

I am only talking about shops 20 miles away from me. NOT all shops.

I really do wish I lived closer to a shop like Old Potato has, I would be a 50+ year old shop rat.

SamIAm
06-04-2011, 06:23 AM
I would LOVE to be able to go to my LBS, or ANY local LBS and find a Campy group, or most any other 11 speed ANYTHING! I would buy it there for sure, even if the price was 25% more.

But, I will not go in and them tell me "I can get it for you". I can get it myself, and for less $$$, and I don't have to make another trip in.

I really do wish I lived closer to a shop like Old Potato has, I would be a 50+ year old shop rat.

Good call, I and probably most people, have the same problem with availability of Campy stuff locally an the "I can get it for you" doesn't get it for me.

oldpotatoe
06-04-2011, 07:47 AM

Sorry, that slot's taken, by me(60+ year old shop rat that is).

jr59
06-04-2011, 07:52 AM
Sorry, that slot's taken, by me(60+ year old shop rat that is).

DRAT and DOUBLE DRAT!!!!

Jeff N.
06-04-2011, 08:40 AM
Good call, I and probably most people, have the same problem with availability of Campy stuff locally an the "I can get it for you" doesn't get it for me.
It's like I've always said:
Shimano: "Sure. How many do you need?"
Campagnolo: "No, but we can probably order it for you."

steampunk
06-04-2011, 08:45 AM
Ben @ Velomine is the best. Period.

Kane
06-04-2011, 11:33 AM
gvh.com
They sell frames and "kits", maybe groupos. Very good pricing out of Oregon, (no sales tax).
Cheers,

oldpotatoe
06-04-2011, 01:17 PM
It's like I've always said:
Shimano: "Sure. How many do you need?"
Campagnolo: "No, but we can probably order it for you."

Bike shops that build frames they either sell or are brought to them don't have any more shimano groups on their shelves than Campagnolo. I doubt you could go to any non mailorder local bike shop and try to but say a 6700 group, complete 8 piece group and more readiy than buying a 8 piece Centaur or Chorus group. Decent bike shops do have Campagnolo replacement parts tho, and yes, I know that more shops have shimano bits but the OP was talking about a group methinks and somebody mentioned they were tired of 'yep, I can order it for you', when referring to a Campagnolo group but the LBS probably would have said the same for any shimano group.

dd74
06-04-2011, 03:43 PM
That's a problem even in L.A. Even the best shops don't seem to stock much Campy equipment. Some even hedge against getting the customer Campy because it's easier to get Shimano or SRAM.

oldpotatoe
06-04-2011, 04:36 PM
That's a problem even in L.A. Even the best shops don't seem to stock much Campy equipment. Some even hedge against getting the customer Campy because it's easier to get Shimano or SRAM.

But it's NOT any 'harder' to get Campagnolo 'stuff' than shimano 'stuff'.

Many of the same distributors that sell shimano also sell Campagnolo. This 'expensive', 'hard to get' from LBS' is spelled 'lazy'.

jr59
06-04-2011, 05:36 PM

Many of the same distributors that sell shimano also sell Campagnolo. This 'expensive', 'hard to get' from LBS' is spelled 'lazy'.

This I would agree on.

I'm not speaking of your shop, Peter; But when you walk in and ask for anything modern Campy, you get looked at like you have lost your mind.

Not just here, but in most places, they just don't want to deal with it. It's not easy for them. This makes my point;
WHY WOULD I WANT TO DEAL WITH THEM. I want to my shopping local. I understand being undercut by on line so called vendors, or worse yet, e-pray. I would pay a reasonable amount more if they had what I needed.
They don't, and don't even want to talk about it, most times.

Sorry guy, we all don't live close enough to you to come in and get stuff from Peter. I really wish I did.

I guess it's like the chicken and the egg, I would buy it, if it was there.
Seeing as it's not there, the lbs doesn't keep it in stock, and it doesn't sell.

I wish it was different, it's not!

dancinkozmo
06-04-2011, 05:41 PM
...maybe this is an intentional cost cutting strategy by campag.
....we've got fewer resources so instead of spending money supporting a large network of low volume dealers, we'll sell online through a few very high volume dealers.

dsb
06-05-2011, 06:27 AM
I've always been curious as to how Campagnolo USA fits in to all of this... It was my understanding that they don't stock parts... Dealers don't order from them(?)... Other than adding an additional cost layer between the factory and the wholesalers what's their function?

oldpotatoe
06-05-2011, 07:09 AM
This I would agree on.

I'm not speaking of your shop, Peter; But when you walk in and ask for anything modern Campy, you get looked at like you have lost your mind.

Not just here, but in most places, they just don't want to deal with it. It's not easy for them. This makes my point;
WHY WOULD I WANT TO DEAL WITH THEM. I want to my shopping local. I understand being undercut by on line so called vendors, or worse yet, e-pray. I would pay a reasonable amount more if they had what I needed.
They don't, and don't even want to talk about it, most times.

Sorry guy, we all don't live close enough to you to come in and get stuff from Peter. I really wish I did.

I guess it's like the chicken and the egg, I would buy it, if it was there.
Seeing as it's not there, the lbs doesn't keep it in stock, and it doesn't sell.

I wish it was different, it's not!

I'm not criticizing you, but bike shops who are lazy and Campagnolo USA for not getting out there, like they once did, and talk to bike shops about Campagnolo. Tech reps that traveled around, talked about pricing, tech details, taking stuff apart, tips for making the stuff work well.

This works great here in the republic as I have most bike shops sending Campag equipped sutff to me and I seem to be the parts warehouse for lots of small bits for service shops who can't seem to figure this stuff out. Seems that the youngsters that come in for Campag stuff from other service departments all share the same things, young, VERY young, like early 20s, baseball hat backwards, flat brim, complete lack of knowledge of any Campagnolo..hopefully they know somethin' about shimano/sram.

oldpotatoe
06-05-2011, 07:15 AM
I've always been curious as to how Campagnolo USA fits in to all of this... It was my understanding that they don't stock parts... Dealers don't order from them(?)... Other than adding an additional cost layer between the factory and the wholesalers what's their function?

GREAT question. They are underfunded, an office of Campagnolo, Italy, can't do anything w/o Valentino's OK. They used to be big, had country wide visits from tech people, like Mavic used to. They do not sell stuff(well small bits, sometimes), are the main warranty center. But as far as helping the small LBS service center, they do very little.

I think if Valentino(and the buck STOPS at his desk, he calls all the shots) decided they wanted to expand the US market, have stuff made OE in Asia, where the frames are made, I think they would grow. But I think Valentino(and I'm not unhappy about this), see Campagnolo as an aftermarket, premium brand, like Rolex. But they sure could do a better job of servicing LBS srrvice departments. This stuff just isn't that hard, it's a bike afterall.

FixedNotBroken
06-05-2011, 01:19 PM
Velomine hands down..i've brought 3 groups from them now, all with the full warranty unlike the Euro stores. Ben is reasonable and will work with you as well.

Pete Serotta
06-05-2011, 01:42 PM

Have order all three CAMPY, SHIMANO and SRAM from the same distributors. Three of the major ones have all three and use same freight company :D

dd74
06-05-2011, 02:56 PM
I met the sales manager of Campagnolo, North America at the Amgen Tour. They had a booth there, which was very tastefully understated compared to the enormous displays for Cannondale, SRAM, Specialized, Giant and Trek, among others. Campy's booth comprised four frames (which were unmarked Ridleys), with Record and Chorus gruppos, and that was it. The sales manager gave me his card, and after I emailed him, mailed me an envelope full of Campy decals. But as far as components go, he was adamant to not tell me where or to whom to go, even when I mentioned my LBS, which the sales manager knew of.

So maybe the problem is two-fold. Campy isn't going to help the consumer get to where Campy products are sold. Ask which is better, online or brick and mortar, and Campy goes mute.

GREAT question. They are underfunded, an office of Campagnolo, Italy, can't do anything w/o Valentino's OK. They used to be big, had country wide visits from tech people, like Mavic used to. They do not sell stuff(well small bits, sometimes), are the main warranty center. But as far as helping the small LBS service center, they do very little.

I think if Valentino(and the buck STOPS at his desk, he calls all the shots) decided they wanted to expand the US market, have stuff made OE in Asia, where the frames are made, I think they would grow. But I think Valentino(and I'm not unhappy about this), see Campagnolo as an aftermarket, premium brand, like Rolex. But they sure could do a better job of servicing LBS srrvice departments. This stuff just isn't that hard, it's a bike afterall.

dbh
06-05-2011, 06:29 PM
Even if your LBS stocked a fair amount of Campy equipment, the retail markup compared to the online shops is just far too much for me to bear. I don't expect my LBS to match most online shops in terms of pricing. With many purchases, I'm happy to fork over the 25-30% extra to support my LBS and local cycling community, but I simply can't afford to pay twice as much for a group -- especially when it has to be ordered -- then buying online. Hell, it's not even full Campy groups, but any of it. $150 for a 10 speed cassette. Sorry, but when I can snag them for a third of the cost, my tolerance for MSRP reaches a breaking point.

oldpotatoe
06-06-2011, 07:49 AM
Even if your LBS stocked a fair amount of Campy equipment, the retail markup compared to the online shops is just far too much for me to bear. I don't expect my LBS to match most online shops in terms of pricing. With many purchases, I'm happy to fork over the 25-30% extra to support my LBS and local cycling community, but I simply can't afford to pay twice as much for a group -- especially when it has to be ordered -- then buying online. Hell, it's not even full Campy groups, but any of it. $150 for a 10 speed cassette. Sorry, but when I can snag them for a third of the cost, my tolerance for MSRP reaches a breaking point.

Once again, it's not an issue of 'MSRP', it's an issue of distributor cost and applying a normal margin, a small one, to keep the lights on. Euro(UK and Ireland) based resellers are doing 3 things. They are 'backchanneling' their buying direct from Campagnolo, they are selling direct to the consumer(no distributor, they are the distributor) and they are reselling at a lower margin and relying on volume to make up the slack.

It's up to Campagnolo(and Vittoria and Continental and other European manufacturers) to decide if they wish to continue these channels at the expense of BIG distributors in the US(Quality Bike Parts) and elsewhere or 'control' these channels to increase sales to BIG distributors. We'll see. If Campagnolo jst went direct, like Mavic or Look, etc, the issue would be solved but that costs $.

Jeff N.
06-06-2011, 08:12 AM
Bike shops that build frames they either sell or are brought to them don't have any more shimano groups on their shelves than Campagnolo. I doubt you could go to any non mailorder local bike shop and try to but say a 6700 group, complete 8 piece group and more readiy than buying a 8 piece Centaur or Chorus group. Decent bike shops do have Campagnolo replacement parts tho, and yes, I know that more shops have shimano bits but the OP was talking about a group methinks and somebody mentioned they were tired of 'yep, I can order it for you', when referring to a Campagnolo group but the LBS probably would have said the same for any shimano group.
This might be true where you're at, but you have to look fairly hard to find Campy (compared to Shimano) spoken at most shops here; groups, small parts, whatever. Just the same, the price markup (as has already been pointed out), if one were to special order from an LBS, would preclude ordering anywhere else but online, unless you're "bros" with the shop keeper. Jeff N.

fuzzalow
06-06-2011, 08:52 AM
Just the same, the price markup (as has already been pointed out), if one were to special order from an LBS, would preclude ordering anywhere else but online, unless you're "bros" with the shop keeper.

Don't think being a "bro" can get a bigger discount when the price paid by the North American LBS is higher than what a consumer can pay buying direct from the EU.

cuda2k
06-06-2011, 09:30 AM
Another vote for Velomine. Call them for the best price (make sure you know what the going rate is from Ribble or PBK or wherever has the best deal at the moment; Velomine probably won't match but will come close). They're very nice guys. And what you buy will carry a full warranty from Campy. That won't be true if you make your purchase overseas.

+1. Bought a 2010 Athena 11sp group from them recently. Fantastic communication and easy to work with.

dbh
06-06-2011, 09:58 AM
Once again, it's not an issue of 'MSRP', it's an issue of distributor cost and applying a normal margin, a small one, to keep the lights on. Euro(UK and Ireland) based resellers are doing 3 things. They are 'backchanneling' their buying direct from Campagnolo, they are selling direct to the consumer(no distributor, they are the distributor) and they are reselling at a lower margin and relying on volume to make up the slack.

It's up to Campagnolo(and Vittoria and Continental and other European manufacturers) to decide if they wish to continue these channels at the expense of BIG distributors in the US(Quality Bike Parts) and elsewhere or 'control' these channels to increase sales to BIG distributors. We'll see. If Campagnolo jst went direct, like Mavic or Look, etc, the issue would be solved but that costs $.

Yes but in the meantime poor schmucks like me have to choose between ordering online or paying through the nose to order through our LBS.

regiolanthe
06-06-2011, 10:03 AM
To the OP:

Having just gone through this experiment, ShinyBikes.com was the lowest that I found, shipped from the UK. A full Athena Alloy groupset was about $750 shipped; switching to Carbon was about $900 shipped.

I mixed Veloce brakes/Athena Alloy cranks/derailleurs/Chorus brifters, and added a carbon seatpost to the mix, and got it for $770 shipped.

This does not include any international currency transaction fees on the CC, and not sure if there will be any tax involved - haven't seen the CC statement yet.

A salesperson did say that prices were going up about 5% in the next week or so.

The gruppo has not been shipped, so can't speak to ShinyBikes delivery speed and/or reliability, but I'm taking my chances. They were fairly quick to respond to pricing requests (although not always accurate - the shipping fee in my shopping cart was less than the quoted fee by about $15).

I did ask my LBS to quote out the build, and added $150 to the ShinyBikes quote as an allowance to match - and they still couldn't touch the price. Sorry, but with mouths to feed as well as a bike habit, I'm going to save a couple of hundred bucks where I can get it.

Geo

regiolanthe
06-06-2011, 10:11 AM
Oh - and Record prices out to about $1600 shipped.

g.

Joachim
06-06-2011, 10:13 AM
At around the 1k mark I usually allow for a 20% price difference. So I'll gladly pay 1200 for a group at my LBS if it's 1000 online (US or sometimes UK). However, back in 2009 I paid around 1250 for a Chorus 11 group from Lickton's (the 4-year warranty and buying US local were important to me) and my LBS had a group in stock (!) for 2400. Now I wait for closeouts and discount deals and buy most of my Campy components in the US, but online.

rdparadise
06-06-2011, 11:43 AM
A couple of years back when I was having my Serotta Legend TI/ST built up, I scoured the planet for a Campy Chorus 10 sp. grouppo. I checked the usual suspects, including Lickbike, shineybikes, all the euro places, etc.

In the end, I went into my LBS and inquired regarding the Campy kit. They came in $50 higher, and took care of ordering all my accessories as well, Brooks saddle, stem, bars, tires, etc and had it assembled in a couple of days. I was happy to pay them a few bucks for the assembly and service.

Just my 2 cents.

Bob

wtex
06-06-2011, 12:20 PM
OP:

I've heard from a number of different folks that Campy doesn't support US distributors\shops as well as those in the UK and Europe -- any notion as to why?

Is it ignorance? Some sort of disinterest in the US market? Just hard to fathom . . .

oldpotatoe
06-06-2011, 01:26 PM
OP:

I've heard from a number of different folks that Campy doesn't support US distributors\shops as well as those in the UK and Europe -- any notion as to why?

Is it ignorance? Some sort of disinterest in the US market? Just hard to fathom . . .

Not sure what you mean. The current crop of UK/Ireland MO places aren't really 'distributors' or 'shops'. Apples and oranges.

BUT Europe is Campagnolo's main market and focus, no doubt about that.