PDA

View Full Version : Gay vague?

Spinsistah
06-21-2005, 10:58 AM
Did anyone see the article in the Sunday NY Times in SundayStyles on "Gay Vague." Is this the next fad to replace metrosexual??

Quote:

"Gay vagueness affects both straight and gay men. It involves more than grooming and clothes. It notably includes an attitude of indifference to having one's sexual orientation misread; hence the breakdown of many people's formerly reliable gaydar."

Helpful chart:

Straight; Gay Vague; Gay;

1.Underwear: Tommy Hilfiger; 2xist; Baskit
2.Pink polo shirt: XL; M; XS
3.Jeans: Gap relaxed fit; Diesel; Rufskin
4.Leather accessory: Belt; Thong necklace: Armband
5.Heart on sleeve
symbol: Yellow ribbon; Lance Armstrong bracelet; Red lapel pin

6.Coke product: Coke classic; Diet coke; Diet coke
w/lemon
7.Dog: Boston terrier; French bulldog; Jack Russell
8.Female Vocalist: Norah Jones; Karen O; Kylie Minogue
9.TV show: Am.most wanted; American Idol; Am.Top Model
10.Cycling gear: Basic jersey; Zebra striped jersey!; No jersey

BBDave, could they be talking about you??? :)

csb
06-21-2005, 11:14 AM
ya its tuff sometimes, you know without the horns or odd colored
skin, to be able to pick out who needs a dose of discrimination.

Spinsistah
06-21-2005, 11:18 AM
I'm not gay-bashing, I just found the article funny................especially since I live with Mr. Metro, aka Gay Vague.

davids
06-21-2005, 11:19 AM
I thought it was hilarious. It was in the "Styles" section, after all.

To csb's point, the jist of the story was how it's getting harder and harder to sustain the Gay stereotypes as more straight men become more fashion-forward. More tolerance, greater convergence, fewer markers.

...and that the term "metrosexual" is out of vogue. It's "gay vague" now, buddy.

csb
06-21-2005, 11:23 AM
spin _ i know (knew) you were not bashing _ its the stupid @ss article
that i wouldnt use to pick-up after one of Mr Sandys friends

BumbleBeeDave
06-21-2005, 11:33 AM
Are you saying this is a list that implies, for instance, that if you're straight you wear an extra large polo shirt, "gay vague" you wear a medium, and if you're gay you wear a small?

I've always gotten angry at arbitrary "lists" like this from self-described "experts" in any field that purport to be dictating what we can do to fit into our "proper" social positions. Wearing a Lance Armstrong bracelet is "gay vague?" If I happen to wear a t-shirt to go on a casual ride on my mtb on the bike path, I'm suddenly gay? What if I already own a JR terrier and have for years? So I'm suddenly gay? What bunch of Bull@#$%!

It's even more annoying and hilarious when it comes to fashion. It seems magazines like GQ (which I have only read several times in doctor's offices) or Men's Health (to which I cancelled my subscription in disgust) run these "fashion" stories declaring what is "in" this year--which inevitably means you're supposed to go out and buy all new clothes. I remember one story in MH that implied that if you spent less than $250 per month on clothes that you could not possible be fashionable. Again, what BULL @#$%! It's nothing but preying on people's insecurity to sell things, just like implying that a woman can never be attractive if she doesn't spend big bucks on cosmetics.

I also find it particularly annoying that being well-groomed apparently USED to mean that you were a desireable guy who cared about his appearance. Now being well-groomed has somehow been turned into a negative attribute. Trimming your fingernails or combing your hair or making sure your shirt is tucked in now seems to mean you are egocentric and self-absorbed. What has happened to our society that simply taking a bath and combing your hair is now a bad thing? As for the article, if I see someone wearing an LA bracelet, why on earth should I CARE who they sleep with? Same for what kind of cola they are drinking, etc., etc. . . .

Is this why I can't get dates? Because I tuck in my shirt and trim my nails? Because I BATHE regularly, 'fer Pete's Sakes? Rant over. :rolleyes:

BBDave

csb
06-21-2005, 11:37 AM
evidently the whole male population of italy is gay

i'm sorry _ i meant mafia

davids
06-21-2005, 12:34 PM
I thought the whole thing was tongue in cheek, particularly the chart. C'mon, look at #5! Talk about a perfect pop-culture triangulation!

And BBD - If you pick up a fashion magazine (targeted to either sex) you've got to expect that! That's the whole, entire, complete purpose of those magazines. To sell you FASHION!!!!! (five exclamation points)

Tune it, turn on, drop out, right on! ;)

slowgoing
06-21-2005, 12:52 PM
yawn.

e-RICHIE
06-21-2005, 01:01 PM
Is this why I can't get dates? Because I BATHE regularly, 'fer Pete's Sakes? Rant over. :rolleyes:
BBDave

not even with pete?

shinomaster
06-21-2005, 01:13 PM
Are you EMO?? Ha ha.... :fight:

Ginger
06-21-2005, 01:45 PM
Emo is dead in Detroit Baby.

Actually, whoever compiled the chart is too old to know what's hip right now anyhow...

a belt? Diesel jeans? RED LAPEL PIN...Oh c'mon...

Ginger (straight girl living in Fashionable, Friendly Ferndale Michigan...)

e-RICHIE
06-21-2005, 02:02 PM
gay or er, not gay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6778546081

Ginger
06-21-2005, 02:07 PM
Depends on how you wear them honey...

e-RICHIE
06-21-2005, 02:14 PM
Depends on how you wear them honey...

talk to me...
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cirque05/april29/pages/cirque05-4-29-23.html

Ginger
06-21-2005, 02:34 PM
Not.

Of course...I don't think you're really worried about it. Which is the key to wearing just about anything. Confidence trumps any label.

But what's on the other end of the lanyard?

e-RICHIE
06-21-2005, 02:49 PM
Not.

Of course...I don't think you're really worried about it. Which is the key to wearing just about anything. Confidence trumps any label.

But what's on the other end of the lanyard?

a big, BIG gold medallion.
very au courant...

BumbleBeeDave
06-21-2005, 02:52 PM
I guess I'm just annoyed with Men's Health in particular because when I first subscribed it was actually about MEN'S HEALTH. Then they started including "Style Supplements" and downhill they went!

S'cuse me--gotta go polish my medallion! :rolleyes:

BBDave

OldDog
06-21-2005, 03:06 PM
Them there is some styl'n brazing goggles.....

e-RICHIE
06-21-2005, 03:07 PM
Them there is some styl'n brazing goggles.....

more tail than sinatra, baby.
more tail than sinatra...

zeroking17
06-21-2005, 03:09 PM
I just had a Flavor Flav flashback!!!!!

davep
06-21-2005, 03:15 PM
Is this why I can't get dates? Because I tuck in my shirt and trim my nails? Because I BATHE regularly, 'fer Pete's Sakes? Rant over. :rolleyes:

BBDave

Maybe its because you don't comb your hair :)

Spinsistah
06-21-2005, 03:16 PM
I guess I'm just annoyed with Men's Health in particular because when I first subscribed it was actually about MEN'S HEALTH. Then they started including "Style Supplements" and downhill they went!

BBDave

Dave, for a minute there I thought it said "gotta go polish my nails"..... :p

Mr. Metro gets GQ, Esquire, Men's Health and some other stuff. He also has Velonews, Cycle Sport, BICYCLING (yes, even that), etc. I like well-groomed men that have a sense of style about them. Obviously. Dave, you just haven't found the right woman to appreciate you yet!

dirtdigger88
06-21-2005, 03:18 PM
man I am glad I have dirt under my nails- my gay friends tell me I would NEVER be mistaken for gay- I think that is a good thing :confused:

Jason

Ginger
06-21-2005, 03:19 PM
You know...I do have to hand it to marketing people though. The whole media slant that people of a certain sexual preference have more style is just so much bS. If someone's going to be a style train wreck, they're gonna be a style train wreck and that's all there is to it. No one is immune. Except perhaps the Italians...

Ginger
06-21-2005, 03:24 PM
So....look where BBDave's zebra outfit from the Open House pictures got us...

William
06-21-2005, 03:26 PM
Am I a metruseashall material?

Billy Bob. :confused:

http://www.costumesinc.com/Costumes/images/01605-std.jpg

Ginger
06-21-2005, 03:27 PM
Yeah...the daisy on the hat gets you in the door...

William
06-21-2005, 03:35 PM
Yeah...the daisy on the hat gets you in the door...

Wanna go cruiz the K-mart with me?

Billy Joe Bob ;) :D

http://www.midwesthighlands.org/images/CPA-Ranch/Kane's%20Hillbilly%20Motorcycle.jpg

dirtdigger88
06-21-2005, 03:39 PM
how are you attaching pix? I still cant

Jason

William
06-21-2005, 03:45 PM
how are you attaching pix? I still cant

Jason

Click on "insert image" and paste in the url address where the pic is located.

And....SHAZAM!!!! It's like magic!

William
http://www.adamgreenonline.com/newsletters_2004/images/henning.jpg

Smiley
06-21-2005, 03:56 PM
this thread brings to mind the whole gay episode on Seinfeld , its one of the better ones , the female news paper reporter thinks George and Jerry are gays dating cause she gets into only part of the conversation she over hears ....and the punch line is NOT THAT'S THRERE'S ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT :banana:

So Metro Sexual has a great girl friend in SpinSistah , so his MO works for attractive , sucessful women that own 2 freaking serotta's , so whats the matter with the rest of us . We maybe we need more Queer Eye for the single guy . Didn't those Queer Eye guys just throw out the first pitch at a Sox game in Bean Town :banana: the times they are a changing .

Not That there's anything wrong with that .

coylifut
06-21-2005, 04:01 PM
other than that, I guess I'm disqualified. I have no style.

Doc Austin
06-21-2005, 04:13 PM
I live in a gay community because I'm the only straight guy who didn't move out. Am I gay now?

dirtdigger88
06-21-2005, 04:14 PM
I live in a gay community because I'm the only straight guy who didn't move out. Am I gay now?

only if your straight friends find out. . . . :butt:

Jason

William
06-21-2005, 04:14 PM

Not that there is anything wrong with that. ;)

William

Dr. Doofus
06-21-2005, 04:51 PM
thread has mentioned

hasidic rebel

flava flav

(curly oxide!!!! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: )

shinomaster
06-21-2005, 04:58 PM
other than that, I guess I'm disqualified. I have no style.

Oh that's not true..I saw you racing cross!

Kevin
06-21-2005, 05:51 PM

BBDave

Dave,

I have a better test for determiing if you are gay. Who do you think about when you "polish your medallion"? :p

If you think about Ginger you are straight.
If you think about me you are gay.
If you think about Sandy you are just f@#cking crazy.

Kevin

Ginger
06-21-2005, 07:58 PM
Not that there's anything wrong with that

Um...Kevin...you seem to be referring to a totally male audience. Shame on you!

dirtdigger88
06-21-2005, 08:16 PM
wha? you girlie girls dont self satisify. . . . you really must try it sometime- no better way to pass a rainy day. . .

Jason

Ginger
06-21-2005, 08:19 PM
*That's* not what we were talking about Jason...(and you know better than that! I'm NOT a girly girl!)

It was "If you think of Ginger you're straight" thing...

No...if a girl thinks of Ginger, she's possibly not straight but she'll probably be really popular with the guys.

And I've never seen Kevin...so I don't know if I'd think about him or not...I'm not a prude, but I am oblivious (which is why my buddy's wives let them ride with me...no danger there of me putting the moves on their men...I'm sorta clueless...but picky)

Of course, I just noticed that Kevin was directing this to Dave...and I suppose that's a totally male audience, zebra stripes or not.

dirtdigger88
06-21-2005, 08:22 PM
OH :crap:

My mind is clearly in the wrong place

Jason

Ginger
06-21-2005, 08:25 PM
Polishing your medallion while reading the Serotta board? That's just sick Jason... :banana:

dirtdigger88
06-21-2005, 08:25 PM
http://home.comcast.net/~sinesa/fark-touch-my-monkey.jpg

touching the monkey

Jason

William
06-22-2005, 04:48 AM
Polishing your medallion while reading the Serotta board? That's just sick Jason... :banana:

Not that there's anything wrong with that............or is there? :confused:

William ;)

Too Tall
06-22-2005, 07:04 AM
Hold up and back up a second. E, yes it is flaming and THANK YOU for the link with a pic of my bestest pal Larry Black who is a retro cycling fashionista of the highest order...not that there is anything wrong with that ;)

To quote Elvis Costello
"Oh, I used to be disgusted,
And now I try to be amused,
But since their wings have got rusted,
You know the angels wanna wear my red shoes."

Here is a really memorable Washington DC classic gay vague moments. 1999 (?) Queen and I are riding in our first AIDS ride....1st evening of AIDS ride..the entertainment is about to commence and the announcer says "OK, all the straight people stand up, now sit" "now all the queers stand up, now sit" "ok now all the bi-sexual people stand up, now sit" "OK Now everyone knows who's fair game!!!" It was so nice that several of my workmates appeared in the crowd (heheh), made for interesting water cooler conversation the next week.

e-RICHIE
06-22-2005, 07:13 AM
Hold up and back up a second. E, yes it is flaming and THANK YOU for the link with a pic of my bestest pal Larry Black who is a retro cycling fashionista of the highest order...

wasdis mean?

paulh
06-22-2005, 07:21 AM
Who me?

Russell
06-22-2005, 07:24 AM
Emo is dead in Detroit Baby.

Actually, whoever compiled the chart is too old to know what's hip right now anyhow...

a belt? Diesel jeans? RED LAPEL PIN...Oh c'mon...

Ginger (straight girl living in Fashionable, Friendly Ferndale Michigan...)

THE DIRTBOMBS ROCK!!!

Spinsistah
06-22-2005, 08:28 AM
man I am glad I have dirt under my nails- my gay friends tell me I would NEVER be mistaken for gay- I think that is a good thing :confused:

Jason

Jason, I get dirt under my nails too from gardening. Mr. Metro doesn't like to garden. I generally have some sort of bike grease on me too, generally from cleaning the bikes. Messing around with the bikes and gardening is therapeutic for me. :)

Spinsistah
06-22-2005, 08:31 AM
Ginger, it's just plain scary! Hey, at least pull out the Bicycling magazine that had the half-clothed woman on the front.............

Spinsistah
06-22-2005, 08:45 AM
this thread brings to mind the whole gay episode on Seinfeld , its one of the better ones , the female news paper reporter thinks George and Jerry are gays dating cause she gets into only part of the conversation she over hears ....and the punch line is NOT THAT'S THRERE'S ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT :banana:

So Metro Sexual has a great girl friend in SpinSistah , so his MO works for attractive , sucessful women that own 2 freaking serotta's , so whats the matter with the rest of us . We maybe we need more Queer Eye for the single guy . Didn't those Queer Eye guys just throw out the first pitch at a Sox game in Bean Town :banana: the times they are a changing .

Not That there's anything wrong with that .
The Fab Five did a makeover on some of the Sox players, including Johnny Damon. They "foiled" his hair to give him more highlights. Dressed 'em up, manicures, facials, haircuts, etc. Saw a Sox game recently, they still looked pretty good which means they must have liked the results.

I really think it would be fun if they did an episode on Queer Eye for the Cycling Guy. They could work on Lance and a few of the boys from Disco, or maybe pull from the US riders; Floyd, Bobby, George, and hey, even Tyler.

Seriously, men (or women) are like a good book - it doesn't matter what's on the cover, it's what's inside that counts. How people look may draw you to them initially, but they better have brains, personality and integrity to back it up.

Too Tall
06-22-2005, 09:54 AM
Vat Nu? Just what it says....your glasses are FLAMING. They scream Elton John is on my nightstand and (not related but I did use a run on sentance) Larry Black is infact a bicycle Fashionista. Anybody who's ever met Larry riding his Penny Farthing decked out in plus fours, wool cap and such will agree....whattacard.

Roy E. Munson
06-22-2005, 10:02 AM
THE DIRTBOMBS ROCK!!!

What Russell said!

fiamme red
06-22-2005, 10:17 AM
I really think it would be fun if they did an episode on Queer Eye for the Cycling Guy. They could work on Lance and a few of the boys from Disco, or maybe pull from the US riders; Floyd, Bobby, George, and hey, even Tyler.
Lance would be a good candidate. He dresses like a slob when he's off the bike. Did you see him on Overhaulin', with his fly half unzipped on his baggy shorts, and only two buttons closed on his shirt, revealing his belly?

And he would never, ever wear a tie (http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2002/tourpres03/?id=CH8). I guess he doesn't want to feel that he's sold out to corporate America. ;)

William
06-22-2005, 10:34 AM
Lance would be a good candidate. He dresses like a slob when he's off the bike. Did you see him on Overhaulin', with his fly half unzipped on his baggy shorts, and only two buttons closed on his shirt, revealing his belly?

And he would never, ever wear a tie (http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2002/tourpres03/?id=CH8). I guess he doesn't want to feel that he's sold out to corporate America. ;)

Heck,

Lance is a Good-Ol-boy. Give him a ten gallon hat and a big shiny belt buckle and I bet he's happy as a buzzard on a dung heap. :banana:

Or not...

William :confused: ;) http://www.loopdiloop.com/folderol/pix/LanceArmstrong.jpg

Serotta PETE
06-22-2005, 10:56 AM
not even with pete?

No he does not bathe with me>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>only with the bees is what I hear!!!

:beer:

e-RICHIE
06-22-2005, 11:03 AM
No he does not bathe with me>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>only with the bees is what I hear!!!

:beer:

oh.
he mentioned a "peter" and bathing in the same thought.
my mistake!

dehoopta
06-22-2005, 12:08 PM
I've always gotten angry at arbitrary "lists" like this from self-described "experts" in any field that purport to be dictating what we can do to fit into our "proper" social positions......

I also find it particularly annoying that being well-groomed apparently USED to mean that you were a desireable guy who cared about his appearance. Now being well-groomed has somehow been turned into a negative attribute....
BBDave

Folks need to chill! The article was definitely tounge-in-cheek, not to be mistaken for an article on how to improve your "gaydar"

BBD, where did anyone say that being well-groomed was negative anyway? I am with you about magazines that are telling me what is cool. It really inflames me when they think we should all be spending $150 on a cotton shirt! And they are not being tounge-in-cheek. The only people who dress like that are models in magazines. I would rather spend $250 on a new pair of Sidi shoes than a pair of pants like I saw in GQ.

If you only knew Spinsistah, you would know she meant nothing by it. She is as sweet as they come!

Lastly, I would rather be thought of as gay or gay vague than run around in a Nascar t-shirt, untucked and with black socks and shorts.....NOT THAT THERE'S ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT.

davids
06-22-2005, 12:20 PM

BBDave
I've got a free subscription to it right now (burning some unused frequent flier miles...), and it's like a cross between "Maxim" and a Sharper Image catalog. Feh.

Kevin
06-22-2005, 02:09 PM
Um...Kevin...you seem to be referring to a totally male audience. Shame on you!

Ginger,

My posting was addressed to Dave so it was referring to a man's point of view. But I now see your point about Dave. I should have realized that his sexual orientation is still up in the air; not that there is anything wrong with that. I will try to be more politically correct next time.

However, I still believe that anyone who "polishes the medallion" while thinking of Sandy is f$%cking crazy, regardless of their gender. Woops, I guess I already fell off the politically correct bandwagon.

Kevin

Smiley
06-22-2005, 02:31 PM
Dirt , I thought there was more to the monkey then touching it . Not that there's anything wrong with that .

Spin and Ginger , we need to elivate you gals to some higher status within the Looney bin just for being here :banana:

dirtdigger88
06-22-2005, 02:34 PM
http://www.mymullet.com/fos%20pics/choke%20the%20chkn%20pic.jpg

any better

Jason

BumbleBeeDave
06-22-2005, 02:46 PM
<<BBD, where did anyone say that being well-groomed was negative anyway?>>

My comment was based on my experience that I have not seen the term used in any context except disparagement--sometimes tongue-in-cheek, sometimes just direct. The implication originally seemed to apply to men who would go overboard on things like manicures or having their back-hair waxed. But then as I saw it in the popular media, the definition seemed to spread to any man who took pains to pay attention to being well-groomed. But I guess my point remains the same--if these guys want to do this stuff, whose F***ing business is it but theirs? I have had other guys give me grief at rides simply because I show up in a jersey, shorts, and helmet that match. It seems to make them uncomfortable that I actually LOOK in my closet before yanking out something to wear on the ride. I'm still at somewhat of a loss to understand it--and we're not talking over-the-top zebra stripe type stuff. I save that up for Owner's Weekend because it's part of my "schtick."

BBDave

Smiley
06-22-2005, 03:25 PM
BBDave , besides being a great guy and funny at that too , I really mean we kid cause we love :)
geez that Zebra outfit was all a Schtick , Not that there's anything wrong with that :banana:

And may I also add your a pretty good cyclist too .

William
06-22-2005, 03:38 PM
What??? :confused:

I like the zebra outfit...er...I mean schtick. Now, there's nothing wrong with that. :no:

William

beungood
06-22-2005, 06:12 PM
I giggled the whole time reading the article while drinking Diet Coke.....holding it with my dirty fingernail ridden hand.

White Raybans? EXTREME GAY.

Kevin
06-22-2005, 06:48 PM
[QUOTE=BumbleBeeDave I'm still at somewhat of a loss to understand it--and we're not talking over-the-top zebra stripe type stuff. I save that up for Owner's Weekend because it's part of my "schtick."

BBDave[/QUOTE]

Dave,

Say it isn't so. The zebra type stuff is just schtick? I thought you wore it every day, even to the office. ;) I thought it showed that you may be the coolest and most confident person on this forum. I have a couple of purple jerseys, one with a rainbow. My children bought them for me and I wear them regularly. As far as my comments on you "polishing the medalion", I was just joking and did not mean any offense. I appologize if it was taken any other way. Sometimes my sarcasm does not transcend the internet very well. :beer:

Kevin

slowgoing
06-22-2005, 07:56 PM
As the old saying goes, if you have to ask, you already know the answer ("does this dress make me look fat...?").

BumbleBeeDave
06-23-2005, 06:42 AM
<<I was just joking and did not mean any offense.>>

No offense taken. But for the record, I have many challenges to deal with in my life--just like most of us. Being gay is not one of them.

But I do wonder at times if this issue represents the real definition of “freedom” in our country today, despite whatever is spouted by pols. The freedom for people who love each other to show it and be happy with it, no matter what their gender. It was not that long ago that being homosexual was a death sentence in many parts of the world if “straight” people found out about it. In many places it still is. Maybe that’s also what tees me off about stories like the one that started this thread. I would think that just about everyone--including magazine editors and writers--would have better things to do than pay so much attention to what others wear or who they sleep with.

BBDave

e-RICHIE
06-23-2005, 06:48 AM
I would think that just about everyone--including magazine editors and writers--would have better things to do than pay so much attention to what others wear or who they sleep with.

BBDave

huh?
bbd-issimo,
it was in the sunday styles section, for god's sake.
continuing your line of reasoning, the entire section
would need ignoring under the "shallow is as shallow
does" rule. i, for one, read the style section first
each sunday just to stay au courant on issues such
as these. heck, it's the little things...

Dr. Doofus
06-23-2005, 06:52 AM
doof's idea of style is to change his underwear every few days...under his cycling shorts

but his students say he is totally gay

(if you aren't getting it now, but remember former lovers fondly, are you a retrosexual?)

BumbleBeeDave
06-23-2005, 06:53 AM
. . . <<the entire section would need ignoring>>

That sounds like a pretty good idea. It worked for me for “MEN’s HEALTH.” :rolleyes:

Saaaay, shouldn’t you be out in the garage welding? ;)

BBDave

BumbleBeeDave
06-23-2005, 06:54 AM
. . . if you remember your old leather bike shoes fondly, does that mean you are a “Detto-sexual?”

BBDave

Dr. Doofus
06-23-2005, 06:58 AM
. . . if you remember your old leather bike shoes fondly, does that mean you are a “Detto-sexual?”

BBDave

no

that's if you spend inordinate amounts of time

expanding your cleat holes

(ick)

Too Tall
06-23-2005, 07:21 AM
Don't sweat the petty things.
Pet the sweaty things.

You are right, it's the details.

BumbleBeeDave
06-23-2005, 08:40 AM
<<Don't sweat the petty things.
Pet the sweaty things.>>

LOLOLOL!!

Now THAT deserves it's own thread! ;)

BBDave

davids
06-23-2005, 09:16 AM
huh?
bbd-issimo,
it was in the sunday styles section, for god's sake.
continuing your line of reasoning, the entire section
would need ignoring under the "shallow is as shallow
does" rule. i, for one, read the style section first
each sunday just to stay au courant on issues such
as these. heck, it's the little things...
My wife always saves the section for last, as her "treat" for getting through the rest of the paper. Which means I can generally grab it for 30 minutes sometime Sunday morning...

Her favorite part is the featured wedding. My daughter's is the fashion pictures from the "streets" (e.g, 20 women in tiger-skin pants...) Me? I like reading about Metrosexuals!

I only read it for the articles,

dehoopta
06-23-2005, 09:48 AM
<<Don't sweat the petty things.
Pet the sweaty things.>>

LOLOLOL!!

Now THAT deserves it's own thread! ;)

BBDave

Heck BB Dave, there is probably a website devoted to it!

e-RICHIE
06-23-2005, 10:10 AM
My wife always saves the section for last, as her "treat" for getting through the rest of the paper. Which means I can generally grab it for 30 minutes sometime Sunday morning...

Her favorite part is the featured wedding. My daughter's is the fashion pictures from the "streets" (e.g, 20 women in tiger-skin pants...) Me? I like reading about Metrosexuals!

I only read it for the articles,

hey. regarding the wedding announcements, here
we play a little game called "find the episcopalian".
it's really easier than it sounds. the woman is adorned
with a pearl necklace. her name is something like muffy
or thayer. his is bickford, maybe even just "michael".
they each have families with homes in nyc, watch hill,
and gstaad. the bride is a fine arts major and works
in the rare art and manuscript department of a major
auction house. the groom has some position in finance
trading equities for krugeraands. their parents all
went to boarding school after leaving the mayflower
(the ship, not the diner).

as with all interesting diversions, the announcements
always list the church in which the ceremony takes
place. if you can guess the faith before you see the
text, "...will be married next tuesday in st. lark's
episcopal church", well, you, er, win!

bananas

Grant McLean
06-23-2005, 10:37 AM
I'm sort of surprised how many NYT readers there are on this list. I thought nobody was supposed to read the paper anymore?

I get the Sunday NYT home delivery here in Toronto. I was in New York earlier this week, and had serveral conversations at a restaurant with some New Yorkers about something from the paper, and later when someone asked where I live, and I answered "Toronto" the puzzled look on her face was classic!

-Grant

William
06-23-2005, 10:41 AM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00008L3TW.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Too Tall
06-23-2005, 12:51 PM
Bwaaahahaha, Davids said "FEH".

davids
06-24-2005, 12:24 PM
The NYTimes is still the best-written paper in the US. It would be perfect if (1) it had comix, and (2) I lived in NYC. I read the Boston Globe daily for those. We get the Sunday Times so my wife and I can get some depth. And for the Styles pages!

Our game with the weddings is to track the proportion of same-sex unions (getting back on topic here!) Up a lot during 2004, falling lately.

And "feh" doesn't get said enough! I'm going to try and get it back in rotation.

Too Tall
06-24-2005, 12:42 PM
"Ish"