PDA

View Full Version : Broken 11 spd chain on a ride, what to do?

mandasol
06-03-2011, 12:37 PM
Just riding along and my 11 spd chain snapped on my campy chorus. The outside plate on one link and a connecting pin is gone, never to be seen again.

I call my wife to pick me up, but I'm on a road she's unfamiliar with so I wrap the chain in a plastic bag I found on the side of the road and stuff it in my jersey pocket, get back on the bike and scoot myself to a landmark she knows (good thing it was mostly downhill).

Questions?

Could I (or would it be safe to) use any chain tool to pop out another link, shorten the chain and limp back? I have a campy 11 spd chain tool btw, but that behemoth is too big to pack on a ride.

Is it a viable option to invest in something like the lezyne 11 spd tool and carry around spare campy coupling pins?

Is my chain now toast, is it unwise to re-use a broken 11 spd chain?

AngryScientist
06-03-2011, 12:43 PM
how many miles on the chain? any measurable stretch or noticeable wear? i wouldnt re-use it.

i carry a mini chain tool. in an emergency i would have no problem shortening the chain and limping home, not a long term solution, but its not a bad quick fix.

for your info, there are a few companies making 11-sp quick links now, that and a chain tool is the ultimate on-road fix, pull the bad link out, put quick link in, and ride.

i've heard, in a pinch, a sram 10-sp quick link will work with 11-sp chain too, to limp home on.

Idris Icabod
06-03-2011, 01:02 PM
You can buy the KMC missing links for 11 speed chains for about $6 on Ebay. Just carry a small chain tool, pop out the pin and add teh link and you are on yor way.

David Kirk
06-03-2011, 01:03 PM
Did it break where is was originally joined or someone else?

Dave

mandasol
06-03-2011, 01:23 PM
The chain has about ~2500 miles on it so I guess I might as well replace it.

I don't see the coupling pin from where the chain was joined still on the chain, so I'm assuming that was the pin that popped. I used THE campy tool with a new pin to install it (I even followed the campagnolo video of the guy with the gold bracelets demonstrating how to use the tool). I had removed the chain I believe twice before to clean but used a new campy coupling pin every time. Maybe that was one too many?

I think I'll give the KMC missing link a try next time. Thanks for the tip.

thwart
06-03-2011, 02:34 PM
So... you removed the same pin location twice to clean the chain...? I wish Dave were here to give the 'definitive answer', but I'd guess the sideplate opening was, by then, outside the design parameters.

cp43
06-03-2011, 02:34 PM
IIRC, Shimano recommends that when you break the chain you don't do it at the original joining spot. So, if you were to take the chain off to clean it you'd want to break and rejoin it on a different link that the initial spot you joined it.

I don't have any experience with Campy, so I'm not sure if the same applies here.

Chris

tuxbailey
06-03-2011, 02:35 PM
+1 on Missing Link. I always have couple of these on my saddle bag just in case.

mandasol
06-03-2011, 02:44 PM
I've always broken and installed at different spots on other chains but I saw somewhere that on the 11 spd chain that there was only one special external link (it's marked) that was designed for new pins to be installed and that you shouldn't break and install a pin anywhere else.

superfish
06-03-2011, 03:23 PM
This has been a very helpful thread!

I know a few will give me weird looks, but I'll be running Campy Chorus 11spd on a light touring bike so knowing these quick fix will definitely help me.

christian
06-03-2011, 03:55 PM
^^^

:eek:

mandasol
06-03-2011, 04:08 PM
I know a few will give me weird looks, but I'll be running Campy Chorus 11spd on a light touring bike so knowing these quick fix will definitely help me.

11 spd on a touring bike?

Bring your cell phone and a set of walkin' shoes!

superfish
06-03-2011, 04:23 PM
i think i'll have a cell phone and walking shoes even if i was running sram! it'll work! no problems!

anyways, but to 11spd chain breakage solutions...

RPS
06-03-2011, 04:36 PM

Isn’t that an oxymoron? ;)

I’m curious: Will you be running double or triple?

Steve in SLO
06-03-2011, 04:45 PM
Missing link here, too.
Since I have been carrying it I have had no problems...obviously it wards off evil spirits.

Erik.Lazdins
06-03-2011, 05:32 PM
re-pinning the same hole is, atmo, the cause of failure you experienced, I have a quick link in my seat bags, just in case.

On my next 11 sp chain, I will start with a forster superlink rather than paying the sum for a campagnolo chain tool. I did that for 10 speed naively believing 10 is the most any sprocket would go to...

ride well :beer:
Erik

mandasol
06-03-2011, 08:15 PM
O.K. it was a few months since I carried out the operation, so I didn't recall exactly why I did what I did, so I just looked it up again.

http://www.campagnolo.com/repository/documenti/en/11s_Chains_UK-03-09.pdf

From Page 30:
Perform all of the following operations and remove extra links from the side of the chain opposite the external link, which is identified by the plastic band and the adhesive "Warning!" label (Fig.3).

NEVER remove or modify in any way whatsoever this external link, which is permanently identified by the stamped by the production batch number, since it has calibrated holes needed to close the chain.
Use of any other connecting link to join the chain may result in unexpected opening of the chain while riding, resulting in an accident, personal injury or death.

To shorten chain, remove links from the opposite side of the chain.

So the first time the chain was installed I didn't have the chain tool, so my bike shop did this, and I have to assume they did it right.

From Page 40:
2. CHAIN OPENING
If it becomes necessary to open and reclose the chain (this operation can be carried out a maximum of twice). it is necessary to use the special Campagnolo bushing ULTRA-LINK CN-RE500.
WARNING!
Opening and closing the chain on more than two occasions can result in the chain unexpectedly failing while riding, resulting in an accident, personal injury or death.

Get the special Campagnolo Bushing ULTRA-LINK CN-RE500
Only and exclusively use the tool UT-CN300 (Fig.25).
Identify the opening link on the chain; this must me different and away from the one used for closing the first time (a link that can be recognized from the impression showing the production batch).

When I went back to pop the chain for cleaning I read these instructions and found the other link and popped it, and as it says it can be done twice I did it twice with the same link. I used the Ultralink CN-RE500 and the UT-CN300 tool. So maybe this can only be done once?

How does all that relate to using missing links? Are there separate instructions for those? They're not reusable right? I just ordered a card of 6 with a new 11 spd record chain so I guess I'll find out.

Btw, when I went hunting for new chains record chains were in more abundance and cheaper than chorus. Any reason?

rustychain
06-04-2011, 06:55 AM
Why the need to keep removing your chain? you can clean your chain fine on the bike. I have never had an 11 speed chain fail in 30,000 some miles and I'm 95 kilos and often put out 1500 watts sprinting an overpass, IE I'm hard on equipment. I do clean my drivetrain every ride and never remove a chain unless its to replace it. I consider the missing link an option with the understanding that it is not as strong as a properly installs Campy pin. I do however keep one with me just in case

Dave
06-04-2011, 07:27 AM
The original joining pin must never be removed (unless a master link is being used to replace it) and neither should any other joining pin, installed later. Second or third joining pins are to be installed at other locations, so you should have had other joining pins remaining on the chain.

If you want to remove the chain for cleaning, I'd remove the original joining pin and install a master link. That's what I've done and never had problems.

If additional joining pins are installed, be sure to insert them from the left side, per Campy's instructions.

sailorboy
06-04-2011, 07:27 AM
holy crap, you've already put >30,000 miles on 11-speed? Are you a beta-tester or something?

oldpotatoe
06-04-2011, 07:40 AM
You can buy the KMC missing links for 11 speed chains for about $6 on Ebay. Just carry a small chain tool, pop out the pin and add teh link and you are on yor way.

AND I sell IRD links for $8, same thing. use a chaintool to take the outside of the plate off, install and ride home.

oldpotatoe
06-04-2011, 07:42 AM
The chain has about ~2500 miles on it so I guess I might as well replace it.

I don't see the coupling pin from where the chain was joined still on the chain, so I'm assuming that was the pin that popped. I used THE campy tool with a new pin to install it (I even followed the campagnolo video of the guy with the gold bracelets demonstrating how to use the tool). I had removed the chain I believe twice before to clean but used a new campy coupling pin every time. Maybe that was one too many?

I think I'll give the KMC missing link a try next time. Thanks for the tip.

Cannot take a pin out of a used chain and install a new pin. Must use the new chain, on the link with the plastic thingy in it, install pin into that. If you take the chain off to clean, must then use the Campagnolo links(outside type, new) and the pins. VERY complicated when you can use a IRD or KMC link.

oldpotatoe
06-04-2011, 07:44 AM
11 spd on a touring bike?

Bring your cell phone and a set of walkin' shoes!

If the chain is assembled correctly, and then if taken off to clean and assembled with either the Campagnolo links(new) and pins, no problem OR an IRD/KMC link. 11s chains aren't 'failing' because of their thinness.

Louis
06-04-2011, 04:08 PM
It's been many, many years since I've bothered to wash a chain to clean it, whether on the bike or off. I just wipe them down with a paper towel, add more ProLink lube, then wipe them down again. Works great for Shimano 9-spd, the chains last a long time, and shift with no issues. YMMV

fogrider
06-04-2011, 11:36 PM
i think i'll have a cell phone and walking shoes even if i was running sram! it'll work! no problems!

anyways, but to 11spd chain breakage solutions...

ok if you always ride where there is cell coverage and your wife or whoever has nothing else to do when you ride...so you really ride with walking shoes?

I would ride with the link in the bag.

mtnbke
06-05-2011, 12:35 AM

I've always believed that "8 speed is best" for anything other than racing, and especially for touring. Strongest chain, wider/stronger/longest lasting rings and cogs, and bombproof.

Heck with Mavic 8 speed using the triple front and 845 long cage rear from the mountain group, you've got a completely world class (Tour de France GC winner and Paris-Robaix winner) and it can be disassembled for repair. Sure acquiring Mavic bits isn't cheap nowadays, but it is certainly still cheaper than Campy Record/Chorus 11 speed bits. On top of that you'll really have something different, not just another mail order Campy build.

Just my two cents.

superfish
06-05-2011, 07:28 AM
ok if you always ride where there is cell coverage and your wife or whoever has nothing else to do when you ride...so you really ride with walking shoes?

I would ride with the link in the bag.

nono, walking shoes for after the rides when i'm mingling around. i'll be riding with clipless.

yes, i'll bring an extra chain/tool for any touring i do.