PDA

View Full Version : Why this bike is like a bumblebee

LouDeeter
06-03-2011, 10:17 AM
Back when the helicopter was being developed, physicists said it would never fly. But, they also said that the bumblebee should not be able to fly, so there you have it. Now, this bike is like a bumblebee. I bought it a couple of weeks ago from the forum classifieds (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=90599&highlight=appel). I got it, swapped forks, swapped bars, stem, brake levers. Sold the downtube 10 speed DuraAce shifters and 10 speed cassette. So, what I was trying to do was get this bike equipped so a local guy can ride it, cheap. I then took a set of 7 speed wheels with a 7 speed Sachs freewheel. The crankset is 9 speed DuraAce. The rear derailleur is Ultegra 9 speed. The chain is 8 speed Shimano. I then installed 10 speed Record carbon shifters (see picture). And, to my absolute surprise, I have 7 gears that shift as smooth and quiet as if they were designed for each other. Amazing. I would have never guessed. :)

BumbleBeeDave
06-03-2011, 10:25 AM
I believe I am in charge of bumblebee related matters on this forum! :D

But I could sign you on as an apprentice! ;)

BBD

mnoble485
06-03-2011, 10:27 AM
Great job, Lou. Does not look like the same bike. Your friend is lucky.

Mike

Nil Else
06-03-2011, 10:34 AM
Back when the helicopter was being developed, physicists said it would never fly. But, they also said that the bumblebee should not be able to fly, so there you have it. Now, this bike is like a bumblebee. I bought it a couple of weeks ago from the forum classifieds (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=90599&highlight=appel). I got it, swapped forks, swapped bars, stem, brake levers. Sold the downtube 10 speed DuraAce shifters and 10 speed cassette. So, what I was trying to do was get this bike equipped so a local guy can ride it, cheap. I then took a set of 7 speed wheels with a 7 speed Sachs freewheel. The crankset is 9 speed DuraAce. The rear derailleur is Ultegra 9 speed. The chain is 8 speed Shimano. I then installed 10 speed Record carbon shifters (see picture). And, to my absolute surprise, I have 7 gears that shift as smooth and quiet as if they were designed for each other. Amazing. I would have never guessed. :)

Fantastic!!

http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/25/puzzledp.jpg (http://img545.imageshack.us/i/puzzledp.jpg/)

LouDeeter
06-03-2011, 10:45 AM
And, the Carbon Record shifters came to me as "broken". I sprayed the inside with Kroil. In the end, the problem was that the right shifter would not shift from the smallest cog to the next smallest, so if you had it on the lowest setting, it appeared not to work. But, a little jiggling got it to shift to the 2nd gear and after that, smooth sailing. With 7 speeds in the back, I set it up so the smallest cog is at a setting that doesn't require the shifters to go to the lowest (highest) setting. And, the blue RaceLite wheels that were on the bike are worth a lot more than the 7 speed wheels I installed, although they are Campagnolo C-record hubs with Campagnolo Omega Aero rims, so not shabby. If I had a cheaper crankset, I would save him some more money as that DuraAce crankset on it is in excellent condition. I'll probably keep the Thomson seatpost and Regal saddle when I let him have the bike. Right now, I think I can let him have it for less than $300 which was my goal. I rode the bike this morning and it is a very nice ride. All in all, a successful project.

Joel
06-03-2011, 12:17 PM
Lou,

Nice work! I'll keep an eye out for it on the road.

Joel

san
06-03-2011, 12:28 PM
looks great!

Fixed
06-03-2011, 02:55 PM
another great job lou , you rock
cheers

CaptStash
06-03-2011, 04:09 PM
You realize it doesn't work right? I mean, I read that, you can't do any of that stuf cause it won't work, so you must be wrong. Unless they are....

Uh oh....

:beer:

RPS
06-03-2011, 04:48 PM
Cool. So does it fly? :)

1happygirl
06-04-2011, 08:55 AM
I believe I am in charge of bumblebee related matters on this forum! :D

But I could sign you on as an apprentice! ;)

BBD

If Batman has Robin, what is the Bee's apprentice name?

The bike is awesome. Always believe it when 'they' say it is so. Always believe the 'experts'. :no:

salo k.
06-04-2011, 09:15 AM
Mac Gyver... :)

bobswire
06-04-2011, 11:13 AM
Another Myth busted by Mother of Invention. Good show.

LouDeeter
06-04-2011, 01:33 PM
And that two color handlebar tape isn't going to cost him a premium either!

thwart
06-04-2011, 03:02 PM
Nice work. And beautiful to boot. I love building up bikes for other folks...