PDA

View Full Version : 9 to 10-speed conversion - what do I need?

tlarwa
06-03-2011, 09:32 AM
I'm think im finally going to make the change (upgrade?), mainly to hang newer components on my frame. Anyway, I'm running 7700 DA now (FD, RD, brifters), with a Truvativ Roleur carbon crankset (53/39) and SRAM 9-speed chain. 9-speed Ultegra and DA cassettes on the two wheelsets. I'll likely go to Ultegra or DA 10-speed, or possibly SRAM. It will be dictated by what kind of deal I can find on the used market. I want to make sure I get everything I need for the conversion. So, here's what I think I need ... tell me if I'm missing anything; FD, RD, brifters, cassettes, chain. What I'm unsure about is the crank and rings. Do I need to replace them? The cables are Jagwire's, new this year. I plan on re-using them. The brakes are TRP 950 carbon. I don't plan on replacing those either.

Last question... I may opt to make the change to a compact crank at the same time. If I do, will it work okay with whatever 10-speed FD I end up getting?

Thanks for the help.

Tom

tv_vt
06-03-2011, 10:21 AM
Sounds like you've got it covered. I'm using your old setup on lots of bikes. Don't think I'll be changing to 10s just because too many bikes are involved. I think all of the compact cranks are based on 10s setups, so no prob there as far as spacing. If you go with a Shimano compact, I think the Shimano FDs for 10s would all be ok with a compact. I have compact cranks on all my bikes and I think the FD functionality issue is overblown - DA7700 FD works as well as any other FD with the 50/34 compacts.

LouDeeter
06-03-2011, 10:51 AM
I just bought a bike with 10 speed shifters, 9 speed Ultegra rear derailleur, 9 speed DuraAce front derailler, 9 speed DuraAce crankset, 10 speed chain and cassette. It was working nicely together. Unless you are buying a mini group, I would first buy the chain, cassette and shifters and see if they work with the rest of what you have. And, I don't think the front derailleur has to be 10 speed regardless, although the compact compatibility is out of my realm of knowledge. I would think it would depend on whether you have a clamp or braze-on with the braze-on being more problematic for adjustments.

christian
06-03-2011, 10:53 AM
You will need shifters, a cassette, and a chain.

Everything else will work just fine-y fine.

PaulE
06-03-2011, 11:35 AM
You will need shifters, a cassette, and a chain.

Everything else will work just fine-y fine.

+1

oldpotatoe
06-04-2011, 08:05 AM
I'm think im finally going to make the change (upgrade?), mainly to hang newer components on my frame. Anyway, I'm running 7700 DA now (FD, RD, brifters), with a Truvativ Roleur carbon crankset (53/39) and SRAM 9-speed chain. 9-speed Ultegra and DA cassettes on the two wheelsets. I'll likely go to Ultegra or DA 10-speed, or possibly SRAM. It will be dictated by what kind of deal I can find on the used market. I want to make sure I get everything I need for the conversion. So, here's what I think I need ... tell me if I'm missing anything; FD, RD, brifters, cassettes, chain. What I'm unsure about is the crank and rings. Do I need to replace them? The cables are Jagwire's, new this year. I plan on re-using them. The brakes are TRP 950 carbon. I don't plan on replacing those either.

Last question... I may opt to make the change to a compact crank at the same time. If I do, will it work okay with whatever 10-speed FD I end up getting?

Thanks for the help.

Tom

If going to 7900, shifters, FD, cogset and chain. If going to 6700, shifters, cogset and chain. if going to sram, shifters, FD, RD, cogset and chain(get shimano FD(6700), shimano cogset and shimano chain, recognize a tend?, that's right, stay away from sram).

Use any crank, present one or compact, any compact.