PDA

View Full Version : Campy questions

mtnbke
06-02-2011, 01:45 AM
Okay, I've always wanted a bike with a Campagnolo gruppo.

I am close to my build with a Mavic SSC 8 speed groupe (with the triple front changer and long cage rear no less!). I have a bike with Suntour Superbe Pro on it (again with an almost unheard of long GT cage on the Superbe Pro rear derailleur that only Cannondale received for their ST touring bikes, along with the triple front Superbe changer). Neither of these builds are getting ridden right now due to the need to repaint one frame, and an out of alignment rear triangle on the other (need new frame - Cannondale, 27" Touring).

So I have that huge Curtlo I need to build up. I have the Ultegra shifters (two sets of STI levers in fact), the Ultegra derailleurs too. I just don't "feel like" a Shimanoculture bike.

I know almost nothing about Campy though...

I would need a long cage rear derailleur, a triple front derailleur. I would use a Zinn custom crank (200mm triple, probably). I would need the Ergo levers.

The problem is that I keep seeing Racing Triple bits on eBay or Racing Comp for long cage and triple fronts.

If I were to get a Campy bike I'd want it to be a Record or Chorus gruppo, not Racing-T. So does Campy currently make long cage Chorus or Record triple stuff? I really don't want 10 or 11 speed, I'd rather have a stronger chain.

Thoughts?

tlp
06-02-2011, 01:57 AM
As you've probably researched, current Chorus and Record groups are 11-speed only. Campy did make 9-speed triple versions of Record and Chorus (with long cage rear derailleurs) about 7 years ago.

mtnbke
06-02-2011, 02:03 AM
The 9 speed bits, how did they shift under load? Were they training/racing components only or would they work with some touring/tandem loads? Anybody using these?

LouDeeter
06-02-2011, 05:33 AM
I used a 9 speed set up with Chorus Ergo shifters as a climbing bike with 26 small chainring and 28 large cog. I had no problems with it. I was using a Racing T front der and Racing T crankset, Centaur long cage rear derailleur. I weighed 215 at the time and there were some pretty steep climbs. I don't recall whether it was a Campagnolo chain or a Wippermann chain.

topher
06-02-2011, 06:33 AM
I know you said you're looking for 9 speed, but for general knowledge sake, and to expand your options if you can't find the 9 speed racing T stuff...

Campy also made 10 speed record and chorus triples - i think into 2006.

Here is an example on ebay (though I think its overpriced):

http://cgi.ebay.com/very-nice-Campagnolo-Record-10-group-set-triple-/270757108814?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f0a619c4e

Notes - Any 10 speed shifter will shift the triple front derailluer. Its not like Shimano where you need to find a triple shifter.

The finish on the Chorus and Record triple groups was much nicer than the triple comp crap. Personally, I think the nicest part of the group was the crank, which you say you don't need.

If you change your mind, and want a Record or Chorus crank, you need to be sure you have a Record or Chorus 111m Triple BB (Interchangeable between these two groups - Record crank + Chorus BB = Fine). Not a 111 or 115 Centaur/Veloce, not a 102 Record/Chorus.

If you want all alloy with this last vintage of record/chorus triples, you are looking for:
Record or Chorus Triple crank, Record or Chorus triple FD, CHORUS long cage RD, CENTAUR shifters - (or the older and more elu$ive Chorus alloy shifters) Chorus or Centaur brakes.

oldpotatoe
06-02-2011, 07:55 AM
Okay, I've always wanted a bike with a Campagnolo gruppo.

I am close to my build with a Mavic SSC 8 speed groupe (with the triple front changer and long cage rear no less!). I have a bike with Suntour Superbe Pro on it (again with an almost unheard of long GT cage on the Superbe Pro rear derailleur that only Cannondale received for their ST touring bikes, along with the triple front Superbe changer). Neither of these builds are getting ridden right now due to the need to repaint one frame, and an out of alignment rear triangle on the other (need new frame - Cannondale, 27" Touring).

So I have that huge Curtlo I need to build up. I have the Ultegra shifters (two sets of STI levers in fact), the Ultegra derailleurs too. I just don't "feel like" a Shimanoculture bike.

I know almost nothing about Campy though...

I would need a long cage rear derailleur, a triple front derailleur. I would use a Zinn custom crank (200mm triple, probably). I would need the Ergo levers.

The problem is that I keep seeing Racing Triple bits on eBay or Racing Comp for long cage and triple fronts.

If I were to get a Campy bike I'd want it to be a Record or Chorus gruppo, not Racing-T. So does Campy currently make long cage Chorus or Record triple stuff? I really don't want 10 or 11 speed, I'd rather have a stronger chain.

Thoughts?

The only triple stuff from Campagnolo is Comp for all practical purposes, no currect Record or Chorus triple stuff now being made. BUT Comp works just fine.

Get some 2008 or later Record or Chorus ERGO, have a decent shop(like me) convert them to 9s(if you don't want 10s), get a Campagnolo 9s cogsets and a 9s chain, a Comp RD and FD and bob's yer uncle.

Many touring rigs with this stuff.

mtnbke
06-03-2011, 05:39 PM
I'm trying to figure out if its possible to make this work on one of my bikes with 126mm rear spacing, or if it would only work on the 130mm bike.

I'm not worried about losing that 8th and 9th cog, I just don't know if I can adjust the spacing between the cogs of a 7 speed freewheel.

I definitely don't need a crank as a 175mm or 180mm crank is useless for me. I hate 'em. After riding a grown up crankset I'll never go back.

As I said I've never had a Campy bike before, and never probably will again, so this might be the only chance. I think I'll pass on the Comp and Racing T stuff, even though it is way too much for the level of cycling I do, just because I've always wanted a real Record or Chorus equipped bike.

So I'm thinking I need the Ergo levers, and Potatoe says these can be converted if they are post 2008, then the Record/Chorus long cage rear derailleur and triple front derailleur.

So how the heck do you tell the difference between Record/Chorus stuff from different eras 8sp/9sp/10sp/11sp?

oldpotatoe
06-04-2011, 07:55 AM
I'm trying to figure out if its possible to make this work on one of my bikes with 126mm rear spacing, or if it would only work on the 130mm bike.

I'm not worried about losing that 8th and 9th cog, I just don't know if I can adjust the spacing between the cogs of a 7 speed freewheel.

I definitely don't need a crank as a 175mm or 180mm crank is useless for me. I hate 'em. After riding a grown up crankset I'll never go back.

As I said I've never had a Campy bike before, and never probably will again, so this might be the only chance. I think I'll pass on the Comp and Racing T stuff, even though it is way too much for the level of cycling I do, just because I've always wanted a real Record or Chorus equipped bike.

So I'm thinking I need the Ergo levers, and Potatoe says these can be converted if they are post 2008, then the Record/Chorus long cage rear derailleur and triple front derailleur.

So how the heck do you tell the difference between Record/Chorus stuff from different eras 8sp/9sp/10sp/11sp?

You can convert those levers to 8s, same spacing on a 7s freewheel, easy.

Well, no 11s triple anything, like cranks. 8s triple was 'Racing T'. Samo for 9s. 10s triples were available in Record and Chorus, said so on the crank but

I think you are overthinking this. Post 1998 levers(1999 and later) converted to 8s, ANY long cage Campagnolo rear der, like Record, Chorus or Centaur or Comp, any Campagnolo (or really any triple FD), 8s chain, install, go ride..bob's your father's brother. No need to match anything in terms of 'speeds' except for the chain, cog number and RH lever-all 8s, all 9s, all 10s...use a '10s' RD for 8s, a '8s or 9s' with 10s, etc......with ERGO , it's all really intercompatible

cnighbor1
06-04-2011, 01:11 PM
In searching for all chorus or record 1990's up triple components on eBay worldwide for three years I located one used chorus rear derailleur. they were made but sure hard to find. I found the Bb's, Cranksets triple easy to find. Shifters has I use bar ends those should be out there. haven't looked much. However it all works together, racing 't', comp (modern Campy triple) chorus and record. so if you want a triple set get what you can get
However a Campy compact provide nearly the same hill climbing gear
Compact 34 T Front 29T rear
Triple 30T Front (can go to 26T) and 29T Rear
So unless talking some serious hill climbing go compact has much earier to find and little difference