PDA

View Full Version : Chantilly, VA Rides???

Satellite
06-01-2011, 09:04 PM
I am heading to Chantilly, VA for work. Any good riding in the area, or must rides. I am NOT sure it's worth takeing my Coupled VaMoots, I am NOT really sure how much time I have to ride. So if the riding is really good and safe, I will roll the bike to the airport with me.

Hopefully folks with reply quick. I have to book tickets tomorrow and if it's worth it I will take an extra day or two on my own.

Satellite

happycampyer
06-01-2011, 09:24 PM
Not sure about local roads, but I rode the WO&D trail when I was desperate for a ride (visiting my mom when she was in hospice a few years back), and early in the a.m. it's pretty quiet. PM znfdl--iirc he's in Vienna and would know local rides. A bike shop I like in the area is Trail's End, in Purcellville.

rccardr
06-02-2011, 06:03 AM
Yes, the W&OD is a lovely ride- did 66 miles on it yesterday. It's fairly flat with gradual grades, nice scenery, and a great deal of it has been recently repaved.

If you like hills (and who doesn't?), then head 25 miles out to Purcellville and join up with one of the Trail's End rides. Or look on MapMyRide for rides in the Leesburg/Purcellville/Middleburg area. Lots of them out there.

Gummee
06-02-2011, 03:35 PM
There's a ride on Sat AMs out at Nima's place. That's somewhere out west off the W&OD. I haven't been since I've been back, so check with the powers that be on the local race team. IDK if NCVC is gonna know about it. You need hammers 'cause that ride isn't slow.

NCVC useta ride Tues/Thurs from the caboose in Vienna. They probably still do. Not a bad loop.

HTH

M

Satellite
05-15-2017, 06:29 PM
I love this forum. Iam back in Chantilly VA. Did a quick search and came across this thread again 6 years later sparked my memory and just criused another 60 miles on the W&OD trail again. This time I did it in reverse. Got to love the Paceline!:beer:

makoti
05-15-2017, 07:11 PM
Not sure about local roads, but I rode the WO&D trail when I was desperate for a ride (visiting my mom when she was in hospice a few years back), and early in the a.m. it's pretty quiet. PM znfdl--iirc he's in Vienna and would know local rides. A bike shop I like in the area is Trail's End, in Purcellville.

I'm not sure Trail's End is there. I know Veloclassique is there, but I thought I heard TE closed.
The trail is good, better to go west unless you want to go into DC. Don't do it on a nice weekend, if you can avoid it.
EDIT:
D'oh! Didn't even notice dates. Oh well. TE is still not there, I don't think.

comish83
05-15-2017, 08:34 PM
W&OD ends in Purcellville but you can hit the roads out in Purcellville safely. I would recommend riding to the end of the W&OD towards DC, take 4 mile run and MT Vernon to Hains Point and do loops as well. Some people like Mount Vernon Trail. I wonder what someone with the name of satellite was doing in Chantilly.:no:

ultraman6970
05-15-2017, 09:19 PM
I dont know where in chantilly you will be but just take 28 north... and get to the wod trail west, that will take you to purcelville there you have veloclasique.

Which day are you coming anyways.

Satellite
05-15-2017, 10:08 PM
W&OD ends in Purcellville but you can hit the roads out in Purcellville safely. I would recommend riding to the end of the W&OD towards DC, take 4 mile run and MT Vernon to Hains Point and do loops as well. Some people like Mount Vernon Trail. I wonder what someone with the name of satellite was doing in Chantilly.:no:

LOL you deciphered my secret Identity!

I dont know where in chantilly you will be but just take 28 north... and get to the wod trail west, that will take you to purcelville there you have veloclasique.

Which day are you coming anyways.
I am already here. I rode the W&OD trail today started at the Train Station in Purcellville to Ruston and back. I was running short on day light.

Today is the only day I can ride. The rest of the week is non-stop work. The bike will get boxed back up until the next adventure.

Last time I was here was 2011 captured in the history of this thread crazy.

zennmotion
05-15-2017, 10:26 PM
You can do much better than the W&OD trail, it gets old pretty quickly. The area immediately around Chantilly pretty much sucks for riding as you've already discovered. But if you can drive another 15-20mins west on Rt 50 to Middleburg, there's miles of low traffic roads including lots of very nice smooth single lane gravel with old horse farms and Blue Ridge views. Hopefully next trip...

Satellite
05-15-2017, 10:37 PM
You can do much better than the W&OD trail, it gets old pretty quickly. The area immediately around Chantilly pretty much sucks for riding as you've already discovered. But if you can drive another 15-20mins west on Rt 50 to Middleburg, there's miles of low traffic roads including lots of very nice smooth single lane gravel with old horse farms and Blue Ridge views. Hopefully next trip...

The temp was perfect today and the W&OD trail wasn't crowded at all. I had to wait twice to safely pass slower riders and walker/joggers. There was a lot of debris on the trail initially but even that cleared up after the first 5 miles. The vegetation was increadably green and I was in the shade for a lot of the ride. Lots of stop and go at the traffic crossings Iam NOT brave enough to bomb the crossings like the locals were doing. I would really like to get more miles in maybe I will have to get a stomach bug something I ate maybe? Cough cough sneeze!:no:

ultraman6970
05-16-2017, 04:50 AM
I might be hitting the WOD trail this morning around 11am but I can't ride too long because I have to come back to work.

Temp will be nice today.

IMO, The coughing might be allergies.

rccardr
05-16-2017, 07:20 AM
I'll be out there too, probably starting from 28 towards Purcellville around 10.
Trail's End is gone, building is empty and for rent.
Always worth stopping in a for a chat with Wayne Bingham at Velo Classique before heading back to the car.

On a day like today, with less traffic (weekday) it's a lovely way to spend a couple of hours.

tbronder
05-16-2017, 08:04 AM
A small detour off the trail, but Bicycles & Coffee (http://bicyclesandcoffee.com/) is a shop worthy of a café stop. Ask them for directions on how to take Old Waterford Road back to Leesburg if you want some gravel on the way home.

Or, if you want a more afternoon beverage, Belly Love Brewing is just across the street. https://www.bellylovebrewing.com/

.RJ
05-16-2017, 10:58 AM
I'm in Reston, which is not really that close before or after work, but there are tues/thurs evening and sat morning road rides leaving from Reston/Herndon (https://restonbicycleclub.wildapricot.org/page-1546335), wed night ride leaving from green lizard in Herndon, wed night mtb ride at lake fairfax (skatequest parking lot).

There's some great riding through great falls on the road, and loudon county on gravel.

From chantilly its super easy to head southwest towards haymarket/the plains/middleburg for paved or gravel routes. waterfall rd heading into the plains is great road, head up to middleburg and loop back.

Gummee
05-16-2017, 01:39 PM
From chantilly its super easy to head southwest towards haymarket/the plains/middleburg for paved or gravel routes. waterfall rd heading into the plains is great road, head up to middleburg and loop back.
Super easy IF you get thru the 28/66 interchange before 2pm anyways.

AMHIK

M

.RJ
05-16-2017, 01:48 PM
Thats more of a weekend ride anyways :beer:

redir
05-16-2017, 03:12 PM
I remember when I lived in DC suburbs the only time i would ever ride was when I got the hell out of CD suburbs. Head west and get in the mountains.

comish83
05-16-2017, 09:06 PM
LOL you deciphered my secret Identity!

I am already here. I rode the W&OD trail today started at the Train Station in Purcellville to Ruston and back. I was running short on day light.

Today is the only day I can ride. The rest of the week is non-stop work. The bike will get boxed back up until the next adventure.

Last time I was here was 2011 captured in the history of this thread crazy.

You better come down with a "cold". Especially if you are working from 8-6 (just guessing). I will second the Middleburg/westward comment someone else made but I still think Skyline Drive (a bit of a haul for you) is worth it while you are out here.

makoti
05-16-2017, 09:44 PM
You better come down with a "cold". Especially if you are working from 8-6 (just guessing). I will second the Middleburg/westward comment someone else made but I still think Skyline Drive (a bit of a haul for you) is worth it while you are out here.

Second this. If you are going to drive to ride, do this. Remember to bring money to feed the rangers.

nobuseri
05-16-2017, 10:24 PM
In Sterling, VA. The RBC rides during the week and Saturday bring quite a few folks from Chantilly and more south. As mentioned, Green Lizard rides on Wed nights. Haymarket hammerfest on Wednesdays, as well. Check out Potomac Pedalers for lots of rides in the area at diff pace levels.

Solo rides with climbing - head west. You can hit Mt Weather from where you're at, as well as some other loops in the area.

Hope this helps.