PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Touring Racks and related bits

Catnap
06-01-2011, 03:02 PM
Hi All,

The RB-T I bought on eBay arrives tomorrow and I'm trying to get it fully outfit for touring.

I'm looking to buy any of the below:
- Surly, Nitto, or Tubus front and rear racks (for 700c wheels, and can mount to canti studs if needed) Silver / Chrome preferred
- Ortlieb or similar FRONT panniers
- Berthoud-style handlebar and saddle bags
- Honjo, V-O, or similar metal fenders for 700c wheels
- 700c front wheel with a dynamo hub

Email me at mechastudios at usa dot net or PM here on the forum. I also have a nice selection of vintage parts and a Schwinn Paramount frame for trade if you're into that sort of thing.

bicycletricycle
06-01-2011, 03:06 PM
i have one of these-

http://www.rivbike.com/products/show/big-back-rack-nitto/20-022

new in box, $150 shipped.

topher
06-01-2011, 03:18 PM
I have this rear rack, and like it a lot. $138 is pretty good for a larger nitto rack I think...

http://www.treefortbikes.com/#navbar=pro___333222363446___448

Chris

Catnap
06-01-2011, 05:19 PM
i know it's a stretch, but does anyone have a Nitto Campee 27 front or rear? I think they are the best looking of all the racks I've seen:

http://www.bikeman.com/store/graphics/00000001/product_images/RK/RK1004.jpg

atanz
06-01-2011, 05:39 PM
pretty good deals at tree fort actually. they have the campee 27 for $210.

topher
06-01-2011, 06:17 PM
Yeah - the treefort price for the 27 is the best price I've seen. I looked very hard recently before deciding on the Campee Medium... I just don't think I'll be touring enough, or heavy enough to need the 27, but it sure is nice.

topher
06-01-2011, 06:23 PM
I'd also add that I don't think the low rider mounts are as important for the rear rack... for heavy touring up front, I'd want the low rider mounts, but I've never had a problem with rear loads that have made me wish I had the lower mounts in the back.

adampaiva
06-01-2011, 07:00 PM
hey simon I have a Tubus Cargo which I would like to sell. Used for a few weekend trips but in great condition. I have the hardware too. I'm just gonna change to a 26" touring bike so will buy the 26" version of the cargo.

I paid 120 + ship. How about 90$
and we're local so no shipping to worry about.

edit: I also have some VO fenders minus hardware I'd throw in for free. THe smoothe stainless fenders, 45mm width.

jeff901
06-01-2011, 07:16 PM
/Users/jeffbradburn/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2010/Jul 10, 2010/P7104542.JPG

I have those fenders on my Expedition and think they're great. Thats a great combo deal!

Catnap
06-03-2011, 05:49 PM
All PM's have been replied to, and some great hook-ups have been had.

Still looking for some items though:
- front and rear racks, silver / chrome preferred
- front panniers
- front dynohub wheel (complete wheel preferred, hub will be considered)

Ken Robb
06-03-2011, 06:16 PM
I have a wheelset with 36 hole Mavic rims, Shimano M-732 rear hub w/11-34 7spd. cassette, Schmidt Dyno Hub I would sell with Lumo Tec headlight for $375 plus shipping.
A bike for loaded touring NEEDS this stuff and I'm not going to do that kind of ride.

LiteFM
06-03-2011, 06:40 PM
I'm sure you're aware of this but the RB-T is not to be confused with a touring bike. The "T" stands for triple and is meant to be a "fire trails" bike. It's basically a road bike that can handle going off road within reason (dirt paths, packed mud, fine gravel, grass, etc.). It does have longer stays and clearance for wider tires but is not meant to carry a load. I'm assuming you have a smaller frame... which makes toe overlap an issue when running fenders. Do you plan on loading it extensively? If so, I'd look into other avenues such as a LHT, Kona Sutra or a Soma Saga.
-John

Catnap
06-03-2011, 08:19 PM
I'm sure you're aware of this but the RB-T is not to be confused with a touring bike. The "T" stands for triple and is meant to be a "fire trails" bike. It's basically a road bike that can handle going off road within reason (dirt paths, packed mud, fine gravel, grass, etc.). It does have longer stays and clearance for wider tires but is not meant to carry a load. I'm assuming you have a smaller frame... which makes toe overlap an issue when running fenders. Do you plan on loading it extensively? If so, I'd look into other avenues such as a LHT, Kona Sutra or a Soma Saga.
-John

thanks for the advice. do you really think it will handle dangerously with front & rear panniers? i figured that completely loaded, there would be front & rear panniers, plus handlebar bag and maybe a trunk bag.

i think the total weight of the gear would be around 80lb. i make that guess based on when i was a boy scout, my hiking pack was around 50lb and that was for a several-day camping trip.

bike22
06-03-2011, 08:49 PM
it won't handle well loaded as it is not a touring bike.

buy a touring bike made for a full load.

R.J.
06-03-2011, 08:54 PM
Those Nitto racks are pretty, Simon but I do not have great things to say about their racks in general. I'll expound upon that next time we meet up.

hokoman
06-03-2011, 10:20 PM
it won't handle well loaded as it is not a touring bike.

buy a touring bike made for a full load.

I used a ritchey breakaway cross bike to ride from fort stephens oregon to san francisco. I had old man mountain racks on the front and rear and ortlieb front and rear panniers and tent on top of the rear. I was a mule for my girlfriend. I never did a test run, and when I packed my bike and took my first pedal stroke.. I thought the bike was going to break under me... 850 miles later, it made it, but I should have purchased a true touring bike. Don't make my mistake. With ultra lightweight backpacking gear, I think I had about 70 pounds on my bike. She had a camera pouch on her handlebars and a small saddlepack for her iphone and wallet. It was the best trip ever though... I am just glad my bike made it. I will update with a link to my facebook pics if anyone cares to see them.