PDA

View Full Version : Raam

BigMac
06-20-2005, 06:17 PM
Well for those of you that may be interested in one of the modern world's most grueling and torcherous tests of human endurance, the RAAM soloists began their journey on Sunday. The team's will begin on Tuesday. I am quite certain those that follow RAAM or have even a fleeting interest in the event already knew this info. The thing many may not be aware of is that one of the team riders competing (or participating as it were) in the Corporate Team category is Eric Heiden. Sound familiar? Yes the young man who 25 years ago skated to Olympic immortality with 5 speed skating Gold Medals then traded in the blades for 2 wheels and won the '85 US Pro Cycling Championship is riding for Team Donate Life. Eric retired from cycling in '87 to persue medicine at Stanford. He has been an orthopedic surgeon at UC Davis Medical Center, orthopedic consultant for Sacramento's NBA and WNBA franchises and assistant professor at UC Davis School of Medicine.

Team Donate Life is the brainchild of a Jason Weckworth who 2 years ago donated a kidney to save his father's life, 4 months later he completed the California Int'l Marathon. Jason is an avid endurance athlete and several of his own physicians that performed the transplant at UC Davis were cyclists and thus a dream was born. The groups' primary goal is to bring public awareness to organ donations. They are of course also accepting corporate and individual donations but this is more about awareness. You can certainly follow the teams' progress, see a legendary olympian back in the sporting arena or maybe you'll discuss with your family and significant others your desires for organ donation. Even donating blood is a potential lifesaving act. Whether or not one chooses to donate is not as important as opening the dialogue and letting your loved one's know of your wishes and intentions. Go Team Donate Life.

Ride on! :banana: :banana: :banana:

Smiley
06-20-2005, 06:33 PM
Thank you again Big Mac , rest assured the Captain and First Mate are organ donors and feel this is the best gift we can bestow on our fellow humans if the circumstances dictate it .

William
06-20-2005, 06:57 PM
:cool:

I wonder how RA and her team are doing? :)

William

dave thompson
06-20-2005, 07:30 PM
:cool:

I wonder how RA and her team are doing? :)

William
Looks like her rider, Tom Rodgers, is currently 16th in the Men's Solo class, which has to be the toughest class to be in; solo all the way. Big stones for even attempting the ride.

http://raceacrossamerica.org/racestats/report.aspx?report=RacePosition

William
06-20-2005, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the link Dave! :cool:

William

rnhood
06-20-2005, 07:36 PM
I have nothing but respect and admiration for Eric Heiden. He is an prime example of an athelete who, instead of just smiling for the cameras, enjoying his wealth and signing autographs, instead decided to make something of himself that he could contribute back to society. It took work and courage to accomplish this. It's too bad we don't see Eric being personified on TV instead of Shaq and his Rolls Royce.

I too am an organ donor and wish all the teams and riders in this event a successful finish.

coylifut
06-20-2005, 08:25 PM
I have nothing but respect and admiration for Eric Heiden. He is an prime example of an athelete who, instead of just smiling for the cameras, enjoying his wealth and signing autographs, instead decided to make something of himself that he could contribute back to society. It took work and courage to accomplish this. It's too bad we don't see Eric being personified on TV instead of Shaq and his Rolls Royce.

I too am an organ donor and wish all the teams and riders in this event a successful finish.

when I lived in Orlando, I saw Shaq give a ton of $ and time to several childrens charities. one time I saw him with 4 kids in his lap while reading and there was still room for more.

jeffg
06-21-2005, 04:43 AM
is quite a human being, in addition to being a phenomenal athelete. Go Team Donate Life!

It makes me consider that although we are listed as organ donors in the US, I have no idea about our status in Germany. I will check and then get back to following RAAM!

BTW, can anyone confirm that Eric still holds the record for the Old La Honda Road climb in Portola Valley? I heard he rode the 3.35 miles and roughly 1300 feet in about 14 minutes!? Man, I was happy to break 20 minutes ...

CarlosContreros
06-21-2005, 06:26 AM
I agree with coylifut....
Shaq does give back a lot to the community! :D

And..I'm hoping "homeboy" Rob Kish does well in this year's
RAAM!
I see him riding all the time!....he never waves back though! :confused:

Too Tall
06-21-2005, 07:29 AM
Carlos, I think Kish is the greatest Ultra distance rider in the history of the sport. He is amazing. I recall Tom K. is / was a sponsor for Kish?

I'm rootin' for K.Berge :) She is an amazing individual.

jeffg
06-21-2005, 07:40 AM
I'm rootin' for K.Berge :) She is an amazing individual.

Yeah, she is awesome. I suppose setting the women's record and mixed tandem records on the Terrible Two, as well as doubling the course last year (400 miles and 32,000 feet of elevation gain) in a record 26:33 was not enough for her ;)

With her climbing skills it seems like she would be a shoe-in for the Race Across the Alps, and could be the second female finisher of that grueling event.

BigMac
06-21-2005, 09:27 AM
Jeff:
I do not know if Eric's record up Old LaHonda Rd still holds, he also held the record up Mt Hamilton's westside until the late 90's. There were stories of him consistently dropping LeMond on training climbs up Monitor Pass and Mt Rose as well. Really just a remarkable athlete who consistently avoided the glare of public spotlight. He turned down the Wheaties box cover after his Olympic triumph which would have paid him several hundred thousand $$ back in 1980. A man who gives for the sake of giving, not for the spotlight and noteriety.

To me, the most amazing part of this story is Jason Weckworth. The young man completed a marathon 4 months removed from donating a kidney to save his father's life. Not just any marathon mind you, this is the California Int'l which takes place annually during early fall in Sacramento, an area w/temps typically in triple digits even that late in year. The Alonzo Mourning kidney transplant recovery is well documented and its truly amazing that he is able to compete at that level following such a procedure. However, running a marathon under those conditions with such a short recovery time is truly a remarkable feat -- both in terms of skillfull brilliance of Jason's medical team and his own courage. Go Team Donate Life!

Ride on!

chrisroph
06-21-2005, 10:07 AM
Bigmac:

Thanks for bringing this positive message to the board. I cannot imagine a more mentally and physically challenging athletic event than raam.

It is also good to know that Mr. Heiden continues to excel.

I remember watching his feats at the olympics in which he won 5 gold medals, in events from the 500m to the 10,000m, all as I recall in world record time. Unbelievable, truly one of the most amazing feats of medern era athletics. It is similar to a track cyclist winning the sprints, the kilo, the pursuit. Unimaginable.

Then, he picked up the bike and was immediately successful. I was told a story of Eric getting in a breakaway with Glen Saunders at the cascade classic on a climbing stage and dropping Glen, who was at the time one of the best road cyclists to come out of the northwest. He then rode several tours.

Many years, ago I was a professional photographer and did a shoot with Kris Kristoffersen. One day at his home in the malibu hills, his children were present. It turned out that his beautiful daughter, who was a student at Stanford, was dating Eric.

Smiley
06-21-2005, 10:10 AM
Does anybody know if Connie Carpenter was also a speed skater before she switched to cycling . I think the cross training of speed skating helps with cycling . Big Mac may know but I was told the story during a Phinney MTB Camp that Heiden feasted on McDonalds Burgers as his training meals . Great stuff guys and thanks for all that share these stories of americana before ESPN .

William
06-21-2005, 10:58 AM
Does anybody know if Connie Carpenter was also a speed skater before she switched to cycling . I think the cross training of speed skating helps with cycling . Big Mac may know but I was told the story during a Phinney MTB Camp that Heiden feasted on McDonalds Burgers as his training meals . Great stuff guys and thanks for all that share these stories of americana before ESPN .

She was either a Rower or a speed skater. I can tell you for sure when I get home (if some body doesn't Google it first).

cross training of speed skating helps with cycling

One word (that I've said before): Heidens! :banana:

Yes it does, as does rowing.

William :)

gasman
06-21-2005, 12:29 PM
I still remember Eric Heiden in the Olympics as others do. What a great person and athlete !

I am an organ donor. Be sure to tell your family if you are one. Discuss all the options and have an advance directive.

Remember- one organ donor can help many individuals. As many as 6 different individuals can have their lives changed by one donor.

William
06-21-2005, 12:31 PM

She was a Speed skater who competed at 14 yo in the 1972 Winter Olympics. An ankle injury forced he out of the trials for the 1976 Winter Olympics.

She turned to cycling and won the US National Championships in 1976. Not having any where else to go in cycling for women (at the time) she got disillusioned and turned to rowing.

Took 2nd place in the varsity eight in the 1979 Collegiate Nationals. In 1980 she rowed & stroked the varsity four and took first place in the 1980 Collegiate Championships. After graduating in 81 and learning that a women's road race was going to be added in 84, she went back into cycling.

Skating & Cycling:

"Everyone always asks why speed skaters excel at cycling. Speed skaters rely on the same upper leg muscle groups as cyclists and are very well trained. Skaters look like cyclists without a bike to support them. Because speed skaters must carry the weight themselves, the activity itself is more intense and less sustainable, then cycling. But the strength built up from skating transfers nicely to cycling."

William

Excerpts from "Training for Cycling" by Davis Phinney & Connie Carpenter

jeffg
06-22-2005, 02:50 AM
The only woman in the race Cat Berge is using her monster 55 tooth front chainring to stay in the front half of the filed [sic]. :beer: :beer: :beer:

Go Cat!

Smiley
06-22-2005, 05:54 AM
Thanks for the informative information about Ms Carpenter . What do you know about that Hottie called Marie Osmond ? She still looks good on QVC peddling dolls now and then , I try not to miss her when she's on .

Not that there's anything wrong with that :banana:

William
06-22-2005, 06:15 AM
Thanks for the informative information about Ms Carpenter . What do you know about that Hottie called Marie Osmond ? She still looks good on QVC peddling dolls now and then , I try not to miss her when she's on .

Not that there's anything wrong with that :banana:

She's a little bit country
with a little bit Memphis & Nashville in her soul
I don't know if that's good or bad
She's a little bit country
She's a little bit full grown woman with dolls
I don't know about happy or sad
Her music makes her whole
She's little bit country
She I likes that peaceful easy feeling of
a lay back country song
She loves her country with all her heart and soul
I know she don't feel alright
With out a little bit country
All right?

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

William ;)