PDA

View Full Version : Rain Gear

norcalbiker
05-31-2011, 02:21 PM
What's a good rain gear? I may have to buy one for this weekend event. Have to ride a century rain or shine. :eek:

fiamme red
05-31-2011, 02:24 PM
Showers Pass rain jacket.

jpw
05-31-2011, 02:36 PM
Assos SturmPrinz looks good, but not out until later this year.

gdw
05-31-2011, 02:43 PM
What's your budget? Do you need it for just this event or will you use it in the future as well?

norcalbiker
05-31-2011, 03:57 PM
Showers Pass rain jacket.

Who's the manufacturer?

Bruce K
05-31-2011, 04:02 PM
Endura.

I LOVE my new Endura jacket.

BK

norcalbiker
05-31-2011, 04:03 PM
Assos SturmPrinz looks good, but not out until later this year.

I do like Assos, but not for this one.

norcalbiker
05-31-2011, 04:04 PM
What's your budget? Do you need it for just this event or will you use it in the future as well?

I don't normally ride when I know it's going to rain. But this event is an avoidable. So the only time I may use it again it will be the same scenerio. :(

veloduffer
05-31-2011, 04:06 PM
Who's the manufacturer?

The mfr is Showers Pass. Great, great rain jacket and pants. Pit zips, back vent, good seams. Worth every penny. I believe they are based in the Northwest, which knows a bit about wet weather cycling. Also makes for a great wind barrier jacket during the cool fall and winter. I wore this jacket in 20 degree weather with a base layer and regular long sleeve jersey and was plenty warm. You'll appreciate the ventilation features.

You can get them at cycling shops and REI or direct.

EDS
05-31-2011, 04:08 PM
I don't normally ride when I know it's going to rain. But this event is an avoidble. So the time I may use it again it will be the scenerio. :(

If it is warm enough often better to just go without the rain jacket as it will lead to overheating. I think there are lots of good options, just depends on what you need - i.e., is venting most important, do you want to be able to stuff it in a jersey pocket, fit considerations, price a factor, etc.

gdw
05-31-2011, 04:23 PM
Check out the O2 Rainwear products.
http://www.modernbike.com/b_O2-Rainwear/
The material they use performs as well or better than the high dollar fabrics used in the expensive brand name products.

rnhood
05-31-2011, 04:31 PM
I was just getting ready to mention O2 but, gdw beat me to it. It probably doesn't make much sense to spend more for those infrequent times you need a rain jacket. And the O2 performs admirably.

On the high dollar side, where you need really good performance with easy pack-away capability, in a relatively streamlined jacket, its going to be hard to top the Gore paclite products. The Oxygen model in particular leaves little to be desired with its light weight, packability, form fit and the tail to keep the dirty wet stuff off your rear end when you don't have fenders. But its not cheap. So if you plan on frequent sojourns in the rain, I highly recommend the Gore. Otherwise, the O2 is a fine jacket.

jpw
05-31-2011, 04:45 PM
Or, a cheap cape? If it's not windy they work.

palincss
05-31-2011, 05:26 PM
I don't normally ride when I know it's going to rain. But this event is an avoidable. So the only time I may use it again it will be the same scenerio. :(

O2 Rain shield original cycling jacket http://o2rainwear.com/2011/03/original-cycling-jacket/ is inexpensive ($35) effective and light weight. It's not all that sturdy, but I get several years out of mine, and I carry it whenever there's a reasonable chance of rain.

cassa
05-31-2011, 06:33 PM
I'm doing the same event as you are (Tahoe, right?), and I've been looking at the weather reports. Ugh.

This season, we've had lots of weather not too different from what we expect this weekend. When it's wet but not too cold, I've been pretty happy with the Showers Pass Pro Tech Vest (http://www.showerspass.com/catalog/men/mens-vests/pro-tech-vest) with Ibex wool arm warmers (http://www.ibexwear.com/shop/product/2071/8990/unisex-wool-arm-warmers). The vest keeps my core protected without overheating.

The weather report looks like upper 40s for highs. If it still looks like that Sunday morning, I might wear a soft-shell jacket (I have one from Castelli that's soft-shell on the front and thermal fleece on the back so it breaths better). I'll pack the other stuff in a pocket in case it gets too warm.

I'm struggling with what to do for the legs. I might wear my joneswares wool tights over my shorts for warmth. If it's looking like wet is likely, I'll probably wear my Pearl Izumi AmFib bib tights -- they are waterproof on the front, fleece on the back.

One of the nice things about the Tahoe ride is that you can remove extra clothes at the rest stops and they will drive them to the finish for you. Makes some of the layering decisions a little less stressful.

Gummee
05-31-2011, 06:48 PM
I was just getting ready to mention O2 but, gdw beat me to it. It probably doesn't make much sense to spend more for those infrequent times you need a rain jacket. And the O2 performs admirably.

On the high dollar side, where you need really good performance with easy pack-away capability, in a relatively streamlined jacket, its going to be hard to top the Gore paclite products. The Oxygen model in particular leaves little to be desired with its light weight, packability, form fit and the tail to keep the dirty wet stuff off your rear end when you don't have fenders. But its not cheap. So if you plan on frequent sojourns in the rain, I highly recommend the Gore. Otherwise, the O2 is a fine jacket.
I have an Oxygen jacket. Its absolutely fantastic for keeping rain off.

Too bad it keeps sweat in as well.

If I could have a Gore vest and some nanoflex (Castelli) arm and knee warmers, I'd be a happy camper.

If this is a one-time or few-time thing, get something dual purpose. Don't make sense to spend large $$ on cycling-specific Gore stuff if all its doing is hanging in a closet.

M

etu
05-31-2011, 10:42 PM
Nothing better than a pair of nice fenders to keep the water off your rear end and your feet. Much better gortex jackets and rain pants for light rain.

ClutchCargo
06-01-2011, 08:27 AM
I have an Oxygen jacket. Its absolutely fantastic for keeping rain off.

Too bad it keeps sweat in as well.

If I could have a Gore vest and some nanoflex (Castelli) arm and knee warmers, I'd be a happy camper.

If this is a one-time or few-time thing, get something dual purpose. Don't make sense to spend large $$ on cycling-specific Gore stuff if all its doing is hanging in a closet.

M

I agree with the dual purpose, if you mean something that will work on the bike and be available for other activities, too. Goretex Paclite would be a great choice; there are others, too. I have a cycling specific, seam-sealed jacket (Sugoi) that works great, but it gets little use. I also have a Cloudveil Koven jacket that, while not Goretex, is waterproof and light weight and will work on the bike but also would be ideal as a general rain/winter jacket, for hiking or just around town.

Beyond that, I would make sure you have knee and arm warmers -- if you're in the mountains and it's raining, hypothermia is a real possibility. Also something to go over your helmet, either bike specific or just a shower cap. That plus a billed cycling cap will help keep your noggin comfy.

Good luck with the ride!

sg8357
06-01-2011, 08:43 AM
You need a Belgian National jersey and some embrocation.
Rain gear is for wimps and re-enactors. :hello:

xjoex
06-01-2011, 09:39 AM
For cycling you can go and buy something other than showers pass, but you'll end up buying the showers pass gear later. Might as well spend your money once :) I'm a big fan, nice cycling cut on the clothing and plenty of zippers for venting.
http://robonza.blogspot.com/search?q=showers+pass

If you are going to use it for more than just riding, I like the Outdoor Research Foray jacket and Pants.
http://robonza.blogspot.com/2011/04/review-outdoor-research-foray-jacket.html

They work well on and off the bike, which is nice, since I do more than ride.

-Joe