PDA

View Full Version : Polar Customer Service - Expectations

keno
06-20-2005, 03:08 PM
Before I even get going with Polar on my crapped out s710i monitor I want to develop some reasonable expectations.

Last Thursday at mile 79 of 82 with the "I hate Paul Levine" crew the skies opened up. My previously trusty s710i began reporting strange data for the ride, particularly when downloaded. Used it nevertheless, with no expectations, on Saturday and it seemed to be tracking the ride accurately, but when I attempted to download it it indicated I had ridden zero miles at a similar speed for no hours, somewhat short of the 50 or so miles in something around 2:45. The watch is also telling me that it is currently a few years ago and occasionally the screen goes blank or fills with indecipherable garble. The watch may well be toast, or, more accurately, soup.

I bought the watch on rbr new less than two years ago. Polar has something called the two-year maintenance free warranty, whatever that means. I don't have proof of purchase, which their rule book implores me to keep, but, honest, I paid someone something for it.

My experience with certain companies, Topeak and Saris, for two, has been that they just step up and don't even bother with the who-shot-John aspects of the warranty and just solve the problem, no questions asked.

Does anyone have experience with Polar, either pro or con, in a similar situation to my own?

keno

Russ
06-20-2005, 05:36 PM
Keno,

Although I have had no major technical problems with my Polar monitors (I have a 725, a720 and a 625sx for running), I indeed have sent at least one of these my units for battery replacement or minor checks. Everytime I have sent them, however, I have never been asked for a proof of purchase, etc. All they have asked me is for a serial number, which I hope, your unit has one.... On this web site (http://www.polarusa.com/service_repair/serverinfo_con.asp#) there is a page you can download and send to Polar with your unit. I noticed that the page indicates that you should include proof-of-purchase, but I have never sent it with mine. I just say: "proof of purchase not available"

Now, your problem seems that your battery may be going bad. When did you replace the battery? Have your ever? I have found that the batteries on these units drain the quicker depending on the way you use them. Be aware, however, that Polar doesn't warranty batteries. You will have to pay for the battery even if you purchased your monitor yesterday!

Finally, are you deleting all your workouts aftern downloading the info? I try not to store more than 6 hours of training on my monitors. I have found that overloading my monitors makes them slower to download and I have lost old data...

The 710 is a good unit. It should not be giving so much problems!

Too Tall
06-20-2005, 06:07 PM
Bubbalah, talk to this guy: http://www.sarkproducts.com/

He honors the warranty and is a real person you can call on the phone. I HATED dealing with Polar!!!!

keno
06-20-2005, 11:56 PM
Battery new about 2 months ago. First battery lasted 18 months or so. Doubt very much if that is the problem. Always delete files once downloaded, which is between rides. This is the first time the watch has gone off the reservation, and I fear it was the rain storm.

Too Tall, I don't seem to have enough advanced degrees to read his ala carte chart on repairs. What is he trying to tell me it will cost if I send him the watch and he fixes it?

keno, beyond his time

Ginger
06-21-2005, 12:12 AM
Keno,
Package the sucker up and send it to Polar. It's currently toast. All they can say is "no". And you can have them call you when they diagnose it and give you an estimate for repair.

Ginger
Who lives an hour away from a Service center so I drop it off and chat with them about my issues then have them mail it back...

Tom
06-21-2005, 09:04 AM
This morning my Polar said my HR sat at 120 bpm for the entire ride, except for one 5 second interval when it went to 121.

Methinks the chest strap is finally toast, at a point about three times as long as they said it would last. I can't complain.

PaulE
06-21-2005, 12:11 PM
I had a Polar Pacer for over 6 years. Sent it in once for a battery replacement, which was no problem. The strap finally went so I bought a new coded sending unit. Then I dropped it and it stopped beeping when out of target zone. Totally my fault. I sent it back to them with my new sending unit and they told me the mother board was shot. I took advantage of their trade up policy and got a 720i for 30% off. They also sent me back my still new sending unit, on my promise to send back the original sending unit, which I did. I think their service was excellent.

Keith A
06-21-2005, 01:54 PM
PaulE (or others) -- Which service center did you use? The one in NY, MI or CA? I need to have my battery replaced.

Another question -- Has anyone tried Polar's new Wearlink Transmitter? If so, how does this compare to their standard ones?

Ginger
06-21-2005, 02:10 PM
Ha! I use Michigan...

I drive down (about an hour) do the drop, then I wander in to Ann Arbor to shop at my favorite Deli and food emporium
www.zingermans.com sample some yummy cheeses and olive oils and vinegars, pick up some yummier chocolate, get me an over priced sandwich, and people watch for a while.

Keith A
06-21-2005, 02:14 PM
I don't think this is an option for me :D

PaulE
06-21-2005, 03:08 PM
I used the NY service center both times. I believe it's on Long Island somewhere.