PDA

View Full Version : memorial day weekend ride reports

jvp
05-30-2011, 05:58 PM
Did a metric century yesterday, on my '89 waterford paramount, through 6 towns/cities here in central nc - garner>fuquay varina>holly springs>apex>cary>raleigh>garner. Mostly uneventful
except for ~1.5 miles of unanticipated gravel road. Energy was supplied by 1 clif bar, 1 gel block pack, and 1 "boone bar", sort of a hippie version of the cliff bar made in boone, nc. Hot ride but nice to get out!

dekindy
05-30-2011, 06:14 PM
Friday's ride was 35 miles sponsored by an LBS. Wore cool weather clothes and a threat or rain.

Went over to Ohio on Saturday and rode 105 miles. Starting temperature was 58 degrees at 8:00 am and eventually warmed some but very little promised sunshine. Great ride with some climbing thrown in.

Rested Sunday and moved grass for an hour, much hotter and humid.

Rode 70 miles on Monday, temps in the 90's and humidity in the 80's, just awfully hot but slowed the pace a bit so as to not overdo it.

3 rides in 4 days and a recovery ride scheduled for tomorrow evening. Glad to be catching up to last year's mileage and getting back on track to prepare for RAIN. Today's weather and the current forecast have settled any fears I had of not getting acclimated to hot weather before mid-July's ride.

Jason E
05-30-2011, 07:23 PM
I took off Friday to stretch it out. I got in about 30-35 each day up here around Falls Lake.. I wanted a little longer ride one of the days, perhaps up to Creedmoor, which is also a metric century, but we had plans every freaking day.

I am looking forward to going to bed early and resting from all the time playing volleyball at the pool!

I was on my '97 Atlanta for all of it.

JE

tuxbailey
05-30-2011, 09:40 PM
I did 40 miles today. I wanted to do 60 miles with more climbing but the 90+ degrees heat got me.

Please excuse my lousy average speed :)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/89140390

onekgguy
05-30-2011, 10:07 PM
I got out saturday afternoon on a day when there was only a 10% chance for rain. Yeah, right. Still, it was nice to be out...

Ride video (http://youtu.be/erDl3-EwZyk)

Kevin g

rounder
05-30-2011, 10:53 PM
Ride yesterday was good. Lots of folks out riding bikes. Nice weather and saw two baby eagles in a nest. Today's ride was bad and am still trying to get over it. I developed a slow leak and stopped to fix it. I figured that i was not far from home (about 7 miles), so I pumped some co2 into the tire and tried to limp home, rather than fixing the flat, since I was in a hurry. Bad idea. A few miles later, I was going down a big hill (slowly) and the tire pretty much pealed off the rim and I slid. Bike is fine but i had to go to Dr. for treatment. The best part was that a couple stopped by to help and drove me home (good samaritans!). They were cool and were talking about buying bikes to go trail riding.

Jack Brunk
05-30-2011, 11:10 PM
3 days, 140 miles and 14,000 feet of climbing all on dirt single track, fire road trails. Big 100 race in Bend Oregon in July so this weekend was a sufferfest. I ate as well as I rode. Oh all on a 33 front and a 22 cog rear.

rice rocket
05-30-2011, 11:20 PM
It was hot as hell today. My tank was empty by the end of my ride, and I only did 35 miles or so. It's normally a distance that I have no trouble covering w/ no food, but even with a gel serving, it was rough for the last few miles.

Tom
05-31-2011, 06:47 AM
Friday: 32 mile river loop. No camera. Sun breaks through low clouds, light all dramatic, six swans on the Mohawk.
Saturday: 50 mile hill loop to Mariaville. Camera. Caught up to some guy on Rynex who was getting ready for Mt Washington by doing the Crawford-Rynex-Upper Gregg-Stirling-Ennis-Touraeuna sequence. He wasn't pic worthy, just insane.
Sunday: Camera. 37 miles around through Charlton.
Monday: No camera. 114 miles around Saratoga Lake, up 9N to Luzerne, Conklingville Dam, South Shore Road to Fayville, Galway by way of a wrong turn, back home down Jockey Street and Blue Barns. Guinea hens, a white Royal Enfield motorcycle in Saratoga, general lake and hill and river sights. Cashed in pretty bad, though, it was f'ing hot out and I was metering the pressure fairly carefully up the last couple hills. I'm not accustomed to the heat and I don't perform very well in it. I have a lot of thinking to do before the Saratoga 12-hour.

Steve in SLO
05-31-2011, 09:24 AM
On a 72 hour shift over the weekend that ends today.

Derailer
05-31-2011, 09:29 AM
38 blistering hot miles in Chicago yesterday. My first ride of any substance this spring. And I feel great! :hello:

drewski
05-31-2011, 09:32 AM
Recovering from a wreck , nerve bruising still lingering but did manage to do 10 mile sanity ride yesterday. Heat was epic.

Feels good to be on the mend.

gdw
05-31-2011, 10:43 AM
I managed to get in three easy 20 mile rides and a couple long hikes. On Saturday's ride my partner almost ran over the largest bullsnake I've ever seen. It was probably 7 feet long and she thought it was a fallen branch in the trail. She was quite surprised and vocal when it started to move.

pbbob
05-31-2011, 11:37 AM
62 on saturday.
wifes birthday on sunday, spent time with her and her friends matisse, o'keefe and others at the art museum.
Another completely uneventful 62 on Monday.

the ill postino
05-31-2011, 11:57 AM
38 blistering hot miles in Chicago yesterday. My first ride of any substance this spring. And I feel great! :hello:

Quite a strange weather weekend for Chicago, huh?! I was wishing I'd worn light winter gloves for the 30 mile loop of Bike the Drive (http://www.bikethedrive.org/) on Sunday -- it felt like 50 something in a wet fog. Then yesterday it's 90+ degrees and I'm getting a sun burn from 15 miles of biking around the city running errands!

zap
05-31-2011, 12:12 PM
No clue how far I rode this weekend.

Sat. 2 hrs
Sun. 3.5 hrs
Mon. 2.5 hrs

Hot and out of shape but good to see my buddies, some who are in awesome shape this year including a Bedford rider.

victoryfactory
05-31-2011, 12:44 PM
Man, I love the hot weather!

Sat 35
Sun 50
Mon 25

All hot, All humid, wind not bad
Got the 'ole annual pink arms going.
What a joy riding in shorts/jersey at last after that winter!

VF

oliver1850
05-31-2011, 02:08 PM
90+ degrees Monday. I rode a 62 mile loop with 36 oz. of water, lost 7 lbs. Average speed was about 10 mph less than the wind speed.

bart998
05-31-2011, 02:29 PM
I know the weekend ended yesterday, but I had to work... Rode to Mt. Baldy this morning....well, at least the lower ranger station.

pdmtong
05-31-2011, 03:52 PM
saturday 25 miles with my 11yo.

she is on a 48cm 2010 specialized ruby comp I got her off CL.

sunday another 25 miles with her.

on the last 100m uphill she looked over her shoulder, got out of the saddle, gapped me and then proceded to blast to the "line" laughing how she raced and beat me.

special times.

Bruce K
05-31-2011, 04:04 PM
Bicycle commute on Friday on my Bedford (about 30 miles round trip).

Metric Saturday.

Metric Sunday.

30 miles on Monday at a fairly leisurely pace.

Rest day today and first club ITT tomorrow.

BK