PDA

View Full Version : Tubes, what to do with them.

binxnyrwarrsoul
05-30-2011, 05:28 AM
OK, so the hermetically sealed bike cave has been shown the light of day, the thick layer of dust has been wiped away from the fleet, and I've found that I've accumulated a lot of road tubes that can no longer be used. I've recycled them in the usual way, as chainstay protectors on the MTBs, as frame protectors on the bike storage stands and repair stands, etc. So, what to do with the dozen or so I still have? Can they be recycled? Suggestions?

wintermute
05-30-2011, 06:29 AM
One of my LBS has a drum that you can recycle used tires in. I don't see why the tubes would be any different other than the metal hardware (which can easily be cut out). You might want to try calling around and seeing if any have this available.

bagochips3
05-30-2011, 10:18 AM
If you use CO2, they make great CO2 canister covers. Minimizes the noise of them hitting other stuff in the saddle bag and protects you from the cold when you use them.

bicycletricycle
05-30-2011, 11:29 AM
patch and re-use

rice rocket
05-30-2011, 11:40 AM
Yeah, patch the hell out of 'em.

Performance Bike will recycle them for you if you want.

rugbysecondrow
05-30-2011, 11:43 AM
Trash. There aren't that many of them, are there?

FGC
05-30-2011, 12:47 PM
On a particularly boring night, I took all of my un-patchable tubes and weaved together two mats made out of tubes. I then put them under a scrap of carpet and now I have a cushioned floor to stand on when I work on bikes instead of concrete.

bike22
05-30-2011, 04:05 PM
patch the hell out of them until the valve stem tears out or it blows out.
i've got some tubes with 10 or more patches in them.

use them as bungy cords or to do things like tie a garden hose up or something.

my local bike co-op and bike shop recycles used tubes and tires.

twin
05-30-2011, 04:56 PM
The third art teacher that I teach with uses them for art pieces.

Bob Loblaw
05-30-2011, 08:00 PM
I use them for tons of stuff. They make great padding for clampy things like headlights, P-clips, flashers and headlights. They can keep seat bags from marring seatposts, can be used as covers to keep dirt out of pump heads, to keep pump heads from scratching frames, CO2 cartridge sleeves, multi-tool sleeves, tire boots.

Lots of non-cycling uses too. Bungee-cord sleeves for my truck. Ties to secure growing plants to stakes. I rolled a section of tube down over splintered fiberglass rake handle to save myself a trip to the hardware store..it's been a year and I haven't made that trip yet.

There's more I'm not thinking of. I always keep an old tube or two (or portions thereof) laying around.

BL

Idris Icabod
05-31-2011, 10:57 AM
Do you have enough to make a gimp suit?

Kane
05-31-2011, 12:49 PM
I have a 10 foot chain that secures my bikes at the house. The old bike tubes cover the chain to prevent scratches on the frame.
Cheers

bambam
05-31-2011, 01:09 PM
Tireboots, valve covers for good tubes if the rim valvehole is rough.
Underwrap for bartape. (cushion and keeps tape from gunking up the bars)
Someone sells buckles where you can use them as bungees/straps.

soulspinner
06-01-2011, 05:13 AM
If you dont feel like arts and crafts, most bike shops recycle them if you bring em there...........

boywander
07-06-2011, 08:10 AM
Underwrap for bartape. (cushion and keeps tape from gunking up the bars)

I've used them to wrap racket handle (tennis etc..), wrap handlebars instead old school Benotto tape. Also chain stay protector secure with zipties.

And lastly, on skateboarding when I was a peewee. Use your imagination.

victoryfactory
07-06-2011, 10:21 AM
big market for used tubes...