PDA

View Full Version : Knowledge of 86 Nishiki Olympic?

froze
05-29-2011, 01:03 PM
I buy used bikes when I think I found one in great shape for cheap, but in this particular case I can't recall much about it. I do remember when I use to race cat 3 back in the mid 70's to mid 80's I saw a few riding Nishiki's but can't remember the model, I thought they were Olympics but could be wrong.

I bought 86 Nishiki Olympic in original condition that supposedly was only ridden 5 miles? Not sure if that's true but it's in great shape, not mint like the 85 Schwinn Le Tour Luxe I found this last winter, but it's in really good shape. It's red with white head tube, fork and seat tube, with first year and first generation of Shimano index shifting called Light action SIS, and it has SLR brakes, sealed Joytech hubs, Champion bar, and a fluted seat post thats painted alternating flutes with red, green and yellow. It also has a decal instead of a headbadge, which I thought all Nishiki's had the badge.

The wife said he rode it once then stored it? It's weird that the Schwinn had a similar experience but that guy broke his back at home after he bought the bike and had rode it about 250 miles before he had to store it. I may have overpaid for it, not sure, but I paid $150 (she wanted $200), figured for a Tange dble butted lugged steel bike in that condition and it fits plus I liked the color scheme so I thought it was worth it. What's weird is that it has 700c rims with Schrader valves, I thought all 700c rims had presta valves.

If anyone has any info on this bike I would appreciate it. Thanks. I don't have the bike in my possession yet, I paid her and left the bike there since I couldn't put in the TR6 I was driving today. So I'll go back this next Saturday and pick it up.