PDA

View Full Version : bike paths, do you like them?

bicycletricycle
05-29-2011, 10:10 AM
i love riding on bike paths, i know some people do not. yesterday i was riding on a bike path, thinking how much i like bike paths and then....

i was passing a guy, he drifted towards me, bumped bars and wiped out. I was fine, went back and fixed his bike. made sure he was okay, luckily he had a helmet on. Luckily i didnt crash because i didnt have a helmet on.

I suspect incidents like this are the reason why many people dont like riding on bike paths? I guess i am going to put a bell back on my bike

MattTuck
05-29-2011, 10:31 AM
Bike paths are great, IMO.

As far as whether they're safer or not than the regular road... you've just switched one hazard (distracted drivers) with another (unaware kids and adults).

pick your poison.

I personally don't think (unless it's empty and 5am) that anyone needs to be riding any faster 16 or 17mph. at that point, it is getting risky to yourself and others.

dvs cycles
05-29-2011, 10:32 AM
Did you communicate when passing with " on your left" or just sneak up on him? :rolleyes:

Lifelover
05-29-2011, 10:36 AM
I love to ride bike paths as well. Certainly not the place to ride if maximizing your speed is your prime directive.

Virginia Beach has done a pretty good job of providing fairly wide paths throughout most of the city and it amazes me how under utilized they are.

These are some typical riding conditions
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2637/4164009691_fc83c81e88_z.jpg?zz=1

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2696/4431216186_1f0c808739_z.jpg?zz=1

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4044/4592329302_15681de143_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4032/4592329002_5a6dafd8a7_z.jpg

Scott Shire
05-29-2011, 10:39 AM
Can't stand them. I like a change of scenery and big hills, and am denied both on paths.

There is also the "pathlete" to worry about -- nice Cervelo, buddy ;)

I like to play in traffic. Always have.

fourflys
05-29-2011, 10:44 AM
well, San Diego actually doesn't have as many bike paths as you would think (at least that I've seen)... lots of bike lanes though... I don't mind the bike path, but you do have keep an eye out for those little ones/inexperience ones though... I really only use the one that connects my house to the beach (about 12 miles 1-way)...

martinrjensen
05-29-2011, 11:09 AM
Do not like them. They are fine if you want to tool around at 12 mph though. I don't do that. I road ride 95% of the time. I use the paths when necessary. Some of my routes include small parts of paths.
I can't say I hate them when it's warm out and the path is full of pretty girls on road bikes though, that would be just plain stupid to say that....

bart998
05-29-2011, 11:14 AM
I like the paths themselves and the lack of traffic and stop lights... I just don't like all the people wandering all over the trail, even on corners. Just waiting to take me out... I avoid them like the plague on weekends and holidays.

RPS
05-29-2011, 11:47 AM
Great for bike transportation and also for running, somewhat OK for cycling excercise.

We have about 100 miles within plan community connecting stores, schools, town center, etc... and it's a great way to get around -- just shouldn't go too fast. If riding a heavy mountain bike in winter when few are out then it's possible to get a little moderate exercise.

Overall I love to spend time on them since they go through the forest and it's quiet and peaceful. Walking the dog, cycling around, running, etc.... If not for paths I would have probably moved years ago.

SoCalSteve
05-29-2011, 11:49 AM
There is a 20 mile bike path along the ocean in Los Angeles. Starts at the end of Santa Monica and goes through Venice, Marina del Rey and the 3 South Bay communities and then ends at the base of Palos Verdes.

On any given day, you can see walkers, joggers, rollerbladers, tri- geeks, women in bikini's and pro volleyball players ( both men and women) practicing. Oh, did I mention hang gliding and radio controlled model airplanes?

I love the bike path!

roguedog
05-29-2011, 11:59 AM
Hmm.. depends. Overall, I think bike paths are great.

But I think they're great because of what they do for the community. "Safe," accessible way for cities to bring some nature to their citizens. Great way to introduce cycling/riding to those that are intimated by roads and road rage.

For me its a great way to explore areas I've never been with friends who are just beginning to ride or who just don't feel ready for the roads or if I just feel like a "chill" ride along the scenic route.

But like others, I find them almost as dangerous sometimes as riding on the road. I ride to work on the bike path (lucky me) so I bypass all the lights and stressed out car commuters. It's lovely in the morning along the creek but I ride my commuterized Riv (rack, pannier, fenders, bell, lights, etc).

Occasionally, I like to ride my "fast bike" to work cuz the itch hits me, but, boy, do I feel the lack of my bike bell!

RFC
05-29-2011, 12:13 PM
I like paths, but it really depends on width, design, traffic, etc. We have a very good path system here in Scottsdale/Phoenix. A big part of that are the groomed gravel paths along the SRP canels, which are, in many places, as wide as a two lane road and run on both sides of the canels. I ride the paths and canels 1-2 days a week when I need a break from road riding, but still what to work on conditioning. On those days I ride a cyclocross bike and hammer away at a steady aerobic speed.

Last week, I did have the Cervelo (literally) guy who, without introduction or warning, did try to draft me on the cement part of the path. What a fool for a variety of reasons. When I realized he was here, I pulled off and he rode off pissed.

I do tend to avoid those paths that run through the heavily used park system. Too many walkers and children. Having two myself, I am sympathetic and fully aware that their little incomplete minds lack anything that resembles judgment. Therefore, best to let them have the park paths.

bikemoore
05-29-2011, 12:42 PM
I love uncrowded paths and avoid crowded ones. Some paths I encounter are used very little. I like those. Other paths are busy with runners, walkers, slower cyclists, rollerbladers, etc....I hate those.

I also avoid paths that don't flow well. You know, the ones that go for 1/2 mile and then just disappear for no reason. Or the ones that go from the sidewalk to the road and back and forth. Pain in the rear and dangerous.

So my answer on whether or not I like bike paths is the same answer as whether or not I like roads....it depends on the path and it depends on the road. If either doesn't meet my strict desires, then I find someplace else to ride.

jr59
05-29-2011, 01:58 PM
I really do like mine. 50 miles of MUP up and down the Missippi river, on top of the levee. Yes I'm a MUP rider.

The first 5 miles may be a little full of walkers, or SLOW riders, but after that I see just a few people. Besides, it's the ONLY smooth road around here.

fieldrecordings
05-29-2011, 02:43 PM
I like the Westside Highway path here in NYC but primarily because it de-stresses my morning commute by several orders of magnitude.

For non-commuting purposes, though, I avoid it & other paths for plenty of the same reasons mentioned above. Aside from the cooler months, when we hardy few (self-backpat) have it all to ourselves, it's so often jammed with mostly oblivious folks of all types, including fellow bike riders, making any sort of progress not pleasurable at all.

ps

"Pathlete" is one of the best things I've heard/read all week. Thanks. :beer:

firerescuefin
05-29-2011, 03:10 PM
Yes

biker72
05-29-2011, 03:12 PM
From 8-5 during the week when most people are at work, the bike paths in the Dallas area are OK. After 5:30pm during the week and all weekend is a nightmare.

Recently a woman was killed on the Katy Trail in Dallas. She was running and turned right in front of a cyclist that may have been going a little too fast.

I normally ride very early on Saturday and Sunday....mainly on the street.

Ralph
05-29-2011, 03:12 PM
I really appreciate having them, one just have to be aware they are a multi use facility, to be used and enjoyed by all the public. It's theirs also, not just my work out path. So if you want to train, best to use them as a way to get out to where you can seriously ride.

Here in Central Florida, we have completed or planned about 200 miles of really nice 14' wide (a car lane) multi use trails going in all directions (none close to Disney.....but we don't consider Disney in our area). Some really nice stretches with little use or cross roads. I think they are terrific. Whole families use them year around for exercise and family outings. One near me goes thru the woods by a Panera's. Just this AM I rode the trails about 20 miles going and coming from my ride.

zap
05-29-2011, 03:17 PM
No.

znfdl
05-29-2011, 03:35 PM
I have a love hate relatonship with bike paths. As the someone said you get distracted cyclists and walkers, which is the hate.

For me the the good greatly outweights the bad. The Washington DC area bike paths allow me to commute to DC and only spend 5 blocks on DC streets. If I ride west on the bike path by my house, I can head out to the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains or ride up into Maryland.

palincss
05-29-2011, 04:37 PM
I have a love hate relatonship with bike paths. As the someone said you get distracted cyclists and walkers, which is the hate.

For me the the good greatly outweights the bad. The Washington DC area bike paths allow me to commute to DC and only spend 5 blocks on DC streets. If I ride west on the bike path by my house, I can head out to the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains or ride up into Maryland.

I share the love/hate relationship. I commuted to downtown Washington DC from Alexandria VA for over 28 years. From where I live, bike paths offer the only way to the District that doesn't involve riding on a major highway like the George Washington Parkway or I395 (which, of course, are unrideable). The new Woodrow Wilson Bridge (carries the Beltway and I95 over the Potomac) now has a bike path on it, and that's just marvelous.

As for the hate part, they can be terribly crowded at times, and filled with the sort of users nightmares are made of. Just last week somebody wrote to the
Washington Post complaining about when he brought his little kid to the Mount Vernon Trail (the one all the commuters use to get from work to home) to teach him how to ride without training wheels. He said all those commuters went by so fast and said naughty things and glared as his little kid wobbled and swerved all over the trail.

hairylegs
05-29-2011, 05:00 PM
Pick your poison indeed! I ended up going out on the Ballona Creek path here in LA this AM to do intervals...opps. Sunday, holiday weekend. Amazing how brainless some people are. From people riding 4 wide to families on foot taking up the lane with a toddler wondering around it made for some interesting moments! Oh well! On weekdays though....it's heaven!

Mike748
05-29-2011, 05:16 PM
Sometimes. When I want to ride at a time that I know is not a good time to be on the road, then it is a great alternative. And then sometimes I'm not up for dicing with traffic and I just want the peace and quiet of the path. Ft Worth has a nice trail along the river that runs about 20 miles end to end. One branch is largly cinder, but is much less used and has very few stupid people on it. Rougher on the tires, but very relaxing riding - just me and the (head) wind.

Bud_E
05-29-2011, 06:34 PM
I always say bike paths around here are the spawn of the devil. I would much rather take my chance with the road.

cnighbor1
05-29-2011, 06:54 PM
If in a big hurry forget bike paths. If just out for a ride and don't care to be looking out for cars than fine. also at times a good way to get thru a busy city. i live in walnut Creek CA with two bike paths to use to get around. sure is nice to ride downtown at rush hour and avoid car bummer pool
Walkers and dogs plus kids I just slow way down for if not sure of their actions on path
Charles

weiwentg
05-29-2011, 07:00 PM
Luckily i didnt crash because i didnt have a helmet on.

:no:

mcewen
05-29-2011, 07:01 PM
Bike paths have bikers, runners, skaters, joggers and walkers on them. Sometimes the walkers or joggers are pushing a stroller or walking a dog. Which member of this group will likely hurt you if they hit you?

Also, which user is a bad risk when mixed with dogs and strollers?

Biking on REC paths is fine as long as you keep it SLOW and cover your brakes when you approach anyone slower than you to pass. For "real" riding I stay on the road.

weiwentg
05-29-2011, 07:02 PM
i love riding on bike paths, i know some people do not. yesterday i was riding on a bike path, thinking how much i like bike paths and then....

i was passing a guy, he drifted towards me, bumped bars and wiped out. I was fine, went back and fixed his bike. made sure he was okay, luckily he had a helmet on. Luckily i didnt crash because i didnt have a helmet on.

I suspect incidents like this are the reason why many people dont like riding on bike paths? I guess i am going to put a bell back on my bike

when I ride on bike paths, I make sure I'm riding at an appropriate speed considering other users. if I want to ride fast, I'm in the country.

I've done dumb things on paths, too. I once followed a guy too closely, and grabbed a drink. he took my front wheel out (totally my fault, obviously). Live and learn.

ctcyclistbob
05-29-2011, 08:50 PM
Today I had some tired legs and didn't want to climb the hills that are everywhere around here, so rode for an hour and a half on the flat bike path in Cheshire CT.

Yes there were some walkers, runners, families with kids wandering back and forth, cyclists who stopped with their bikes in the way, etc. Most everyone was pleasant, but I did need to exercise some patience.

Most of the time I had plenty of room to ride and got in some good spinning; one downside was that without any out of the saddle riding my contact points got sore so I had to move around on the bike.

All in all though a great ride for today.

oldpotatoe
05-30-2011, 07:45 AM

Except they aren't 'bike paths', but 'multi-use paths' and that's why they aren't my first choice.

rugbysecondrow
05-30-2011, 08:06 AM
This thread should be linked to the night riding thread http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=91060 That is when I love riding on paths. Twisty paths, woods on both sides, the helmet light shows the reflective eyes of the critters in the woods...good fun.

I will ride paths occasionally, but the each have a unique flavor and the time of day matters. Nothing wrong with them, my intended use and their purpose might not be compatible.

djg
05-30-2011, 08:32 AM

+1 -- same area as znfndl (and same MUTs). Easy access from my house gets most of my commute done apart from rush-hour traffic. If I avoid heavy MUT-traffic times, I can also get some good miles in and access to different roads -- certain kinds of efforts don't fit the environment, and you have to pay attention and chill here and there, but early or late on weekends often provides good stretches where you can ride without constant disturbance (or disturbing others).

Also, they've been great places to get my kids riding outside traffic.

Sometimes the MUTs are too darn crowded for almost anything. And yeah, I hate it when joggers, bladers, whoevers, just cross the path to pull a u-turn without looking, and they don't hear you coming, warning or not, because they're too busy listening to Justin Bieber at concert volume on their I-pod-person things. And yeah, the pathletes . . . nearly got into it Saturday as my 9 year old son had the temerity to interfere with somebody's training by not holding his line -- very crowded bit of MUT out near Vienna VA, less than 2 miles from some sort of Vienna town festival, with families on bikes, pedestrians with strollers, etc., etc. interfering with his well-planned effort to do 3-minute intervals in human traffic on what I have to assume was, unbeknownst to us and the rest of the world, his own privately owned path. And the newbie (I hope) tri-athletes rolling through the crowd in full TT position, using every square inch the path has to offer. I can hear Peter Falk, from the original "The In-laws" yelling "serpentine Sheldon! Serpentine!"

But yeah. On balance, and recognizing their limits, a big thumbs up. Took the kids yesterday and the day before. Probably do it again later this morning.

Onno
05-30-2011, 08:58 AM
I think cyclists are getting over the idea that these paths are bike paths, rather than multi-use paths, and that's a good thing. Seems to be the consensus in this thread, anyway. While not good for serious riding, they are a sign of the progress of civilization, aren't they? A place where there are no cars, and people can move about in a myriad other ways. When I cycle on a bike path, I try to take pleasure in the community of non-car-drivers I'm with, and feel happy about that. This lets me bike slowly with a smile.

William
05-30-2011, 09:02 AM
"Bike paths" are wherever I point my wheels and go. :beer:

William

Fixed
05-30-2011, 09:11 AM
some i like some i don't
depends on how much foot traffic is on it
cheers

mjbrekke
05-30-2011, 12:03 PM
We have literally hundreds of multi-use paths here in the Twin Cities area in Minnesota, and they're extremely popular. Consequently, I don't ride them when I want a fast or hilly ride, but they are wonderful when I'm headed home into the setting sun and don't want to be run over from behind by a car.

jamesutiopia
05-30-2011, 12:40 PM
I use the path in Boston (Minuteman) to get out past the ring highway. I believe it has the highest number of average users per mile of any path in the US, so sometimes the going is slow. All of my crashes in recent years have been on the path, but none were season-enders: avoiding a loose dog, T-boned at low speed by a college kid coasting blindly into a merge, a rabbit crashing into my front wheel kamikaze-style, etc.).

It's a slow chore, but is really a lot safer than filtering through at least two dozen traffic lights worth of angry cars (each way) during rush hour every day.

I ride it 90+ times a year (it's impassible most of the winter), and while they are not the most fun miles it's much better than waiting for traffic to clear before starting a ride!

I like to have the path option!

Scott Shire
05-30-2011, 01:08 PM
...And the newbie (I hope) tri-athletes rolling through the crowd in full TT position, using every square inch the path has to offer. I can hear Peter Falk, from the original "The In-laws" yelling "serpentine Sheldon! Serpentine!"

:D :D :D Excellent!

http://imgs.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2003/06/01/pk_home-inlaws_ho.jpg

1happygirl
05-30-2011, 02:16 PM
no. Too many peeps. My handling skills aren't that good and I will go down trying to avoid someone turning in front of me.

Wish bike trails, and bike only, criss crossed the country.

kelowen12
05-30-2011, 03:44 PM
I live in a city that only recently got some paths. I have really enjoyed riding on them- usually on moutain bike at low speed. Hopefully we will getting more.

Norm Swift
05-30-2011, 03:59 PM
Bike paths are pretty extensive in the DC area. They are a welcome break from dealing with car traffic. However, the paths are not exempt from traffic... pedestrians, dogs, strollers, folks hammering on pedals. It is always a balance.

Those VA Beach pics looked pretty enticing... thanks for sharing.

bigbill
05-30-2011, 05:42 PM
My Hawaii commute was 13 miles each way with 9 of those miles on the Pearl Harbor Bike Path. About 6 of the 9 miles was usually bikes only because no one wanted to walk through the mangroves. Those six miles and the four before them in Ewa Beach along Ft Weaver is where I made time. The last three miles were slow and I planned for it.

The alternative to the PH bike path was to ride on Farrington Hwy and Kamehameha which had absolutely no room for bikes and always had heavy traffic so you couldn't even work your way past the slow cars. I had to take that route occassionally when a tropical storm would bury parts of the path in mud.

We're moving back to the same area next summer so I'll once again be a pathlete.

Dekonick
05-30-2011, 11:06 PM
My Hawaii commute was 13 miles each way with 9 of those miles on the Pearl Harbor Bike Path. About 6 of the 9 miles was usually bikes only because no one wanted to walk through the mangroves. Those six miles and the four before them in Ewa Beach along Ft Weaver is where I made time. The last three miles were slow and I planned for it.

The alternative to the PH bike path was to ride on Farrington Hwy and Kamehameha which had absolutely no room for bikes and always had heavy traffic so you couldn't even work your way past the slow cars. I had to take that route occassionally when a tropical storm would bury parts of the path in mud.

We're moving back to the same area next summer so I'll once again be a pathlete.

Walking through mangroves = need EPO!

billythekid
05-30-2011, 11:29 PM
I really like riding on paths for the windy, technical and narrow passages. Little dip, sharp turn, dash to the left, over an old wooden bridge . . . For me it is fun to push the limit a bit without having to worry about 2 tons of steel if I miss my line.

Chousen One
05-30-2011, 11:32 PM
the paths here in Seoul are Fred magnets. That and for some reason it seems like the majority of the people (peds and cyclists and the occasional motorized scooter alike) feel that using their eyes is totally unnecessary. I put a bell on my commuter, but that seems to do nothing at all, not even make people annoyed. Riding the Paths are almost as scary as riding the streets here. Can't really say which is safer, but at least on the bike paths you don't have stoplights.

Tom
05-31-2011, 06:54 AM
Yes, for the commuters. Yes, at the right time of day - 6am, the other people on the path at that time are predictable.

No, on weekends. The best route out of town westbound is the path. Oncoming bikes that can't hold their line are a problem. The family heading in the same direction where Dad can't hold his line and yells at me... "how about a heads up, Buddy"... funny, Dad, your kids heard it and they said something to you, I heard them... so I, of course, do the classy move: "Get your head out of your butt and maybe you'll hear it next time". I'm not proud of that but sometimes tough love is necessary.

The good things about the weekend are manifold, though. Going slow on the way out and back is good for me. Seeing the old couple walking along holding hands makes me smile, as does the guy with his little kid on training wheels learning how to ride. The little dog just legging it out down the middle of the path to catch up to its owner makes me laugh and laugh. It's worth the wait.

torquer
05-31-2011, 12:34 PM
Except they aren't 'bike paths', but 'multi-use paths' and that's why they aren't my first choice.
Important distinction!
I was reminded of some of the other users this weekend: saw a couple riders standing in the path looking at a dark shape on the path- turtle, 16" long shell, more than 2' from nose to tail. Quite possibly a snapper, in which case it could have done some damage.
Sadly, the next day I was driving on the nearby Interstate, and saw a similar-sized turtle who obviously wasn't quick enough to make it across all six lanes. Should have stuck with the path!

pbbob
05-31-2011, 01:34 PM
went to tallahassee in february for some early year riding and to get away before starting the new job. rode a lot on the multiuse path [16 miles out and back] that goes towards the lighthouse as well as some side trips on the roads to wakulla springs and other areas. Had the path all to myself. may have been due to the 45-50 degree wet weather and fair weather only athletes. Any other time of year it probably gets a tremendous amount of use and wouldn't be near as much fun.

dana_e
05-31-2011, 03:51 PM
The American River Parkway Trail extends more than 30 miles from Old Sacramento to Folsom Dam. There are only a few street crossings. In the future, the remaining street crossings will be eliminated. The Trail, the American River, several parks, beaches and recreational areas make up the American River Parkway, a greenbelt area which runs from the Sacramento River to Nimbus Dam. From the dam to Folsom Reservoir, there are additional parkway lands through which the trail runs. And so, being a multi-use area, there are places for picnicking, fishing and swimming. The River is also popular for rafting, kayaking, and canoeing. The Parkway receives more use than any other recreational area in the Sacramento region. More than five million visitors use the Parkway each year.

Peterp
05-31-2011, 08:56 PM
Bike paths and lanes are great, keeps the bicycle riders alot safer, so its opening up riding to more people. No traffic to deal with, so sometimes im getting through the inner city on my electric bicycle (http://www.reefbikes.com.au) even faster then cars can. The only problem is some of the lanes seem to stop all of a sudden, and lead me back onto the main roads, so they have to work on that.

Rueda Tropical
05-31-2011, 09:16 PM
I think they are great for families, riders who are happy to tool along at a slow speed and joggers. Gets more people on bikes. But they should not be used as roads at road speeds.

If you want to go fast you always have the street.

Wilkinson4
05-31-2011, 10:05 PM
Been waiting to comment since I had a ride scheduled for today on 70 miles of bike paths-trails in Denver.

Anyway, I love-hate em. Or hate-love em. I used to be a die hard on the road kinda guy but as I got older the less tolerance I have for rubbin elbows wit my motorized friends.

So, I started riding trails but that has a whole different challenge. Guys who do ride too fast on em, kids, dogs, people stopping in the middle, people walking and not looking, IPODS, kids, and IPODS:D But, when I want to get out and not worry about a car taking me out and I just want to enjoy a nice steady and even slow pace it sure is nice.

Today, 70 miles on Denver trails. Most people at work so it was nice... I hadn't rode on some of them and I saw parts of Denver I never saw before. And I probably don't want to see some of those parts again. Not horrible, but I get a bit spoiled when I do my 40 mile or so down south through country clubs:)

Andbody ride the KATY? I was on that for two days and it was great. What about the trail from deadwood to custer? I would like to do an out and back two day ride this fall.

mIKE

RPS
06-01-2011, 06:53 AM
I think they are great for families, riders who are happy to tool along at a slow speed and joggers. Gets more people on bikes. But they should not be used as roads at road speeds.

If you want to go fast you always have the street.
I agree that they shouldn't be used as “car roads” that allow high-speed cycling for exercise, but as "bicycle roads" that allow us to move around a city as transportation they can be awesome. And by that I mean riding to the store in jeans, not lycra, type of riding. For that type of riding I think 12 to 15 MPH for riders who normally average 20 MPH isn't that unusual.

rpm
06-01-2011, 12:46 PM
Depends on the trail and the alternatives. I just took my first ride on a new trail that goes right through downtown Minneapolis. For those who know Minneapolis it's the long-awaited missing link that connects the river to the Cedar Lake trail. Nice fresh asphalt zipping right by Target Field. It's so sweet because it bypasses a ton of traffic lights, turning cars, pedestrians, and trucks in bike lanes. It's a beautiful day and my riding buddy and I did a lunch hour loop along the river to the Cedar Lake trail and then back on the Greenway trail.

67-59
06-01-2011, 01:34 PM
I don't like the in-town bike paths, because they tend to be full of people (and sometimes pets) drifting back and forth across the lanes, and often responding erratically to "on your left" (like by drifting to the left :no: ). Our in-town paths around here also contain lots of sharp, partially blind corners, making the aforementioned hazards even more dangerous. As a result, I usually only use it when the weather is bad and the path is more likely to be empty, or if I am going on a slow, casual "errand" type of ride.

In contrast, I do sometimes use the more rural paths between towns. They tend to be far less congested, more of the users respond predictably to other bike traffic, and they tend to have far fewer sharp and blind corners.

oldman
06-01-2011, 02:10 PM
Yes. One of the deciding factors of where we bought our house. (within 2 miles of a MUP)

Really don't like it for riding the bike. Unless it's a slow ride with my son or to avoid traffic cutting through town. All of my "real" bike rides are out in the country. I've had one head collision on the bike with another bike. Lot's of near crashes trying to avoid walkers, runners, other bikes, dogs...................

Primarily use is to walk with the family or when I run, and I want some shade.

John M
06-01-2011, 02:35 PM
I like the paths for commuting and riding with my kids. Although the "pathletes", unaware pedestrians, rollerbladers, and young kids can cause accidents on the paths, rarely are the speeds high enough or the mechanisms such that a person will be killed or seriously injured. The sheer mass of the cars make the roads potentially more hazardous. That said, for training, I prefer the roads.

charlie68
06-01-2011, 07:50 PM
I used to ride the bike paths around the DC area every week until I ended up in Georgetown Medical Center with a broken hip because of a distracted walker. After forcing me off the bike path and watching me crash, the walker left me on the path unable to walk. My son helped me get to a street crossing where I could be loaded in an ambulance and taken to the hospital. Two surgeries and six months on crutches later, I'm okay and back on the bike but I won't go near a DC bike path again. It is not worth the aggravation between the distracted walkers, small kids learning to ride and aggressive cyclists. I ride on the C&O Canal Towpath or on the roads around Poolesville.

mtnbke
06-02-2011, 02:25 AM
I only ride on bike paths. I absolutely gave up riding on the road, a passion of mine, after a husband/wife forum members on a tandem group I belong to were killed in Texas while riding.

The picture of their little girl in her pink dress at her parents funeral, with a little bicycle pin on her dress haunted me. I can't justify that to my kids, and I've had too many close calls with cars buzzing me.

I don't prefer bike paths to the open road, but don't ride anything but bike paths anymore. My thought is that if you can't handle a bike path, how would you handle the close proximity of a group ride or a peloton?

mtnbke
06-02-2011, 02:39 AM
Pick your poison indeed! I ended up going out on the Ballona Creek path here in LA this AM to do intervals...opps. Sunday, holiday weekend. Amazing how brainless some people are. From people riding 4 wide to families on foot taking up the lane with a toddler wondering around it made for some interesting moments! Oh well! On weekdays though....it's heaven!

Now see, I'd say that the families and the toddlers were using the path for what it is for. I'd say the brainless one was the person trying to force intervals onto the community path. If you flew by my toddler you'd be on the ground and your carbon wheels and carbon frame just might get stepped on and broken in the process. Accidentally of course.

darkadious
06-02-2011, 03:12 AM
i usually try to stay away from them during prime hours as it isn't fun slowing down to 8-12 mph every 10 seconds to avoid crowds or people that might make sudden movements without paying attention.

when it isn't busy i will tend to use the one near my house as it cuts down on a majority of traffic lights i would run into had i been riding in the streets.

topher
06-02-2011, 06:56 AM
If I'm going for a real bike ride on my road bike, I don't want to ride on a bike path. I want to ride on country roads, and thankfully, I only have to fight through about 3 miles of suburban sprawl to find them.

If I'm commuting, and commuting into the city (Rochester, NY), with rush hour traffic etc., I LOVE bike paths, and use them - On my commuter bike, going 12 mph max.

They are also great for 10-20 mile toodles with my wife, who isn't really a cyclist, and is freaked out by traffic, and wouldn't ride any other way.

daker13
06-02-2011, 08:33 AM
Since you're in Providence, I'm guessing you're talking about the East Bay bike path. I think that bike path is really beautiful, and nice if you want to go for a friendly cruise, but I much prefer to head out to Seekonk and Rehoboth for longer rides, even taking into account the initial five miles of pot-hole riven, traffic choked, East Providence wasteland. I'm not a fast rider by any means, but I have to be in a casual mindset to enjoy the bike path with its wobbly kids, clumps of elderly people, and general cluelessness. Don't get me wrong, I love it and I think it's great, but I like empty country roads best of all. And I hate the mindset that bike paths are where cyclists 'belong.'

christian
06-02-2011, 08:49 AM
Do not like nor ride on multi-use paths. Northern European "commuting" paths are ok, since they're basically commuting roads for bicycles.