PDA

View Full Version : Honey Stinger waffles

rpm
05-28-2011, 08:36 PM
Heard a lot of buzz (as it were) about Honey Stinger waffles. I picked up a couple for my long ride today. They are sooo good! I like the honey flavor better than the vanilla.

tv_vt
05-28-2011, 09:21 PM
Overpriced to me for their size, and packages are really hard to open; you end up with crumbs instead of a "waffle." Taste good, though, yes.

Tim Porter
05-28-2011, 09:26 PM
The honey stinger waffles ARE good. I became a little obsessed with finding something for a bit less money 'cause it bugs me to pay something in the $2 range for a single cookie :eek: . I have bought the large pack of individually wrapped waffles, but it still is no bargain. So, I found these which I am convinced are the identical item:

http://www.wegmans.com/prodimg/397/500/066676466397.jpg

They're not cheap, but they work out to 62 cents apiece. ($4.99 for 8, at Fairway, not sure what Wegmans might charge). Compare the label on these to the label on the Honey Stingers--canadian (not Dutch, as is on the package, unless they're just imported via Canada), organic, ingredient list, taste is identical. Hmmmm, I'm thinking the picture of LA on the HS version is costing me. You just have to supply your own ziplock bag. Tim

nova
05-28-2011, 09:27 PM
incredibly difficult to open while in a pack(racing or riding) and in all honesty, they aren't that good. Plus, they're overpriced and eating one doesn't feel like it makes a difference to me. Thus far, i feel like it's mainly buzz surrounding honey stinger products.

cmg
05-28-2011, 09:33 PM
i like them. whether honey or vanilla they taste good. do they enhance performance? probably not but they keep you from getting hungry. difficult to open packaging.

jhm350
05-28-2011, 09:37 PM
The best HS bag opening solution I've seen is simply to snip the corner of the bag with a pair of scissors before your ride. I'm not sure how the product will fare in a jersey pocket not that the heat is on.

fourflys
05-28-2011, 10:42 PM
The honey stinger waffles ARE good. I became a little obsessed with finding something for a bit less money 'cause it bugs me to pay something in the $2 range for a single cookie :eek: . I have bought the large pack of individually wrapped waffles, but it still is no bargain. So, I found these which I am convinced are the identical item:

http://www.wegmans.com/prodimg/397/500/066676466397.jpg

They're not cheap, but they work out to 62 cents apiece. ($4.99 for 8, at Fairway, not sure what Wegmans might charge). Compare the label on these to the label on the Honey Stingers--canadian (not Dutch, as is on the package, unless they're just imported via Canada), organic, ingredient list, taste is identical. Hmmmm, I'm thinking the picture of LA on the HS version is costing me. You just have to supply your own ziplock bag. Tim

so where do you get these? not familiar with Fairway or wegman's...

fourflys
05-28-2011, 11:03 PM
so, apparently Trader Joe's are supposed to have these, but I haven't confirmed ...

I did find these (http://thedutchshop.com/product_info.php?products_id=3160&osCsid=b2gc9n2asahfj7p1pggkppstu7) though... the price looks great...

http://thedutchshop.com/images/large/pa771814948269.jpg

Scott Shire
05-29-2011, 12:52 AM
I subsist solely on a diet of Honey Stinger Waffles and Hammer Gel. :D

They are delicious, but most importantly for me, easy to eat. Not easy to open (and why is Lance on a MTB?) but easy to eat and digest. I have a terrible stomach, so it's tough for me to get anything down before a ride. An hour in, I'm ready to eat, but at 5:30 in the morning I just find it difficult. The waffles work great in this regard, and if I eat one soon after waking, I can usually stuff down a bowl of oatmeal right before I hit the road.

I can't wait to find some other, less spendy stroopwaffels. I'll look at Trader Joe's tomorrow.

Edit: here's what I'm looking for...
TJ's stroopwaffels! (http://flic.kr/p/61q1Wc)

Tim Porter
05-29-2011, 05:48 AM
Fairway has a handful of stores in metro NY area. Think Trader Joe on steroids. Not sure about wegmans except I know they're a chain, maybe google them? Tim

happycampyer
05-29-2011, 05:51 AM
Hey, what's in your white lunch bag?

Fwiw, HS recently changed the packaging to make them easier to open (the edge of the package is now serrated so it tears easily, unlike the original which either had to be cut in advance or peeled open, which you couldn't do while riding). But I like Tim's idea to skip the packaging altogether and hunt down some Stroopwafels...

veloduffer
05-29-2011, 06:00 AM
If you compare their content to a Cliff Bar, Honey Stinger doesn't really compare well, particularly in vitamins. They're mostly sugar, which is probably why they taste so good. They're essentially a cookie more than an energy bar, IMHO. And they're the only "energy" food that I would eat as a snack, like watching TV.

But I do like them - I like the honey better than vanilla. :o :) BTW, I don't have any problem opening them but you do need to take some care so they don't crumble.

BdaGhisallo
05-29-2011, 06:41 AM
so where do you get these? not familiar with Fairway or wegman's...
You can get them from amazon.com.

As for the comparison with the HS waffles, I don't believe the HS waffles have maple syrup in them. Also, I find the HS waffles to be a lot grittier than the SMF ones. I tried the HS first, mostly attracted by the individual packaging, but you can simply wrap the SMF waffles individually in some foil and get better taste and much lower cost.

Nooch
05-29-2011, 08:35 AM
FWIW, I was eating a honey stinger waffle an hour ago and read the back of the Vanilla one, which said something to the extent of "while racing in europe, my favorite thing to eat on the bike are these things called stroopwaffles" -LA

So I'm figuring, if you can get real stroopwaffles, then you're more PRO than everyone eating the stingers...

... but I do find them delicious.

keevon
05-29-2011, 10:00 AM
Meh. They taste decent, but they don't have enough substance to keep me fueled on a ride.

happycampyer
05-29-2011, 10:03 AM
Honey Stinger is working on a newer version sprinkled with organic HGH that will be called Luftwafels.

fourflys
05-29-2011, 10:39 AM
mmmm, HGH.... (in my Homer Simpson voice)

rpm
05-29-2011, 02:06 PM
Honey Stinger is working on a newer version sprinkled with organic HGH that will be called Luftwafels.

I love it! I'll have to check the upscale supermarkets in my area for some alternatives.

Z3c
06-02-2011, 02:56 PM
Trader Joes's here has them; they call them Caramel Bites and they are amongst the cookies. They come in a 200g bag and cost $2.79. A Honeystinger is 30g for ~$1.50. Actually says they are Stroopwafels on the package. Taste pretty much the same, maybe not as sweet. Best part is that they are about 1" in diameter so they will be better suited to on-bike consumption.

Enjoy!