PDA

View Full Version : all my critical/cynical forum mates: what about this 4 bike hitch rack from Costco?

eddief
05-28-2011, 06:58 PM
$149. Too good to be true? Hit me with your best shot:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/ProductSet.aspx?Prodid=11531456&cm_mmc=BCEmail_640B2B-_-FOCUS-_-31-_-MarketingItemName#

NRRider
05-29-2011, 09:48 AM
I wouldn't use it for a bike you care about scratching by touching other bikes while driving, but otherwise it looks like a good deal for a 4-bike carrier. Assume you know these racks require a special bar that goes from the seatpost to the steerer if you want to use for sloping top tube frames. Maybe "require" is too strong a word, but I think it gets a lot tougher without it.
The reviews are mostly positive and you can't beat Costco's return policy, so even if you have doubts it costs nothing more than time (and gas for the return trip) to try it out.
I prefer the racks that have the trays to hold the bikes by the wheels and then the clamp that goes over the front wheel. I have one like that. Inspires confidence that they bikes won't get damaged while moving.
Let us know how it works out if you get it.

djg
05-29-2011, 12:40 PM
I love Costco. In the realm of cycling, three kids got great service out of a Bell bike trailer I picked up there for less than 150 bucks.

Still, sale prices on known quantity type bike racks are just not that expensive. How much are you going to save here? Is it worth the experiment?

martinrjensen
05-29-2011, 12:51 PM
Mixing classic top tube with sloping top tube can get tricky but it can be done. Costco is great, you can't go wrong. If it were me I would go for a simpler less complicated 4 bike holder though.

Pete Serotta
05-29-2011, 12:57 PM
Then evaluate the risk to frame "scarring" as a result of the inexpensive frame.
:eek:

$149. Too good to be true? Hit me with your best shot:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/ProductSet.aspx?Prodid=11531456&cm_mmc=BCEmail_640B2B-_-FOCUS-_-31-_-MarketingItemName#

bart998
05-29-2011, 01:01 PM
Strickly for the kid's bikes and the beater I take camping...

dave thompson
05-29-2011, 01:56 PM
Eddie, I share the cheapskate in you but, as others have said, for the sake of the bikes, either something with wheeltrays or better yet a DraftMaster hitch rack; the best!

eddief
05-29-2011, 02:58 PM
dave, you do cheapskate at such an elevated level i could never compete. look at your stable, then pity my four.

but since there had been threads about roof racks, etc, i thought others would be interested to see this and or comment. is cheapskate a euphamism? i prefer thrifty, practical, step over quarters to save nickels.

i can get one bike in the back of the Rav and two on top. that thread about roof racks still gives me nightmares and i had almost forgotten what i did to my TST ti bike and the roof of my Camry.

Lifelover
05-29-2011, 03:10 PM
Seems like the thrifty version of the Thule that does the same thing.

Do not put too much of a load on it when extended and be careful not to cross thread the system when securing it from the extended position with bikes on it.

In short, use it extended as little as possible.

Just like any nestling rack, you will need to take extra caution when you carry multiple bikes. Plenty of bungy cords and some pipe insulation can solve most of those problems.

http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/wysiwyg/image/Pipe_Insulation.jpg

P.s.

I'm right there with your in the thrifty dept. Just yesterday I ordered a $50 trunk rack from nashbar.

mcewen
05-29-2011, 08:10 PM
hitch racks are just for my kid's bikes or for any bikes we know will get scratched. I would look at the cheapest Thule hitch rack, or making a cheap platform rack from a cargo platform and Thule Lowrider fork mounts.

I echo the sentiment on the Draftmaster racks.

Dekonick
05-29-2011, 08:41 PM
Then evaluate the risk to frame "scarring" as a result of the inexpensive frame.
:eek:

Cheap rack, good value - if you worry about damage to the bikes, get some pipe insulation and slap it on the 3 main tubes. No more worries. Probably a good idea anyway is you tote your bikes on the outside...

Dekonick
05-29-2011, 08:42 PM
Seems like the thrifty version of the Thule that does the same thing.

Do not put too much of a load on it when extended and be careful not to cross thread the system when securing it from the extended position with bikes on it.

In short, use it extended as little as possible.

Just like any nestling rack, you will need to take extra caution when you carry multiple bikes. Plenty of bungy cords and some pipe insulation can solve most of those problems.

http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/wysiwyg/image/Pipe_Insulation.jpg

P.s.

I'm right there with your in the thrifty dept. Just yesterday I ordered a $50 trunk rack from nashbar.

Doh! Should have read the entire thread. As you can see, I am not alone in the pipe insulation department. Cheap and easy to put on and take off.