PDA

View Full Version : i hate wheelsuckers...

crownjewelwl
05-28-2011, 10:25 AM
if i don't know you and you want a pull, how bout a "hi" or "thanks for the pull"

just sayin...

Lifelover
05-28-2011, 10:30 AM
I've never understood the disdain for wheel suckers.

I've always taken it as an opportunity to teach people the advantages of riding super smooth.

crownjewelwl
05-28-2011, 10:36 AM
i'm not trying to educate...just asking for a simple hello

Grant McLean
05-28-2011, 10:44 AM
Just stop for a few seconds, they will continue on without you.

I'm as guilty as anyone, sometimes thinking that I can't stop,
or slow down for a minute. If you want the choice to ride alone,
just stop, right?

-g

godfrey1112000
05-28-2011, 11:52 AM
if i don't know you and you want a pull, how bout a "hi" or "thanks for the pull"

just sayin...

I am sick of the rain

bigbill
05-28-2011, 12:08 PM
In San Diego, on easy days I would ride south with a tailwind and then return north into the wind with an easy spin on a bike path. Usually the northbound speed was somewhere around 16-17 mph and without fail, someone would get on my wheel to get out of the wind. I consider it rude to get on someones wheel without saying something, especially if it's more than a few minutes. Typically the headwind would cross left to right so I would ride the edge of the bike path and anyone behind me wasn't really getting a draft and would eventually pass or drop.

Scott Shire
05-28-2011, 12:58 PM
It's cool to me. At 5'6" 118lbs I need a pull down the other side. :)

Bahamontes was a talented climber but a poor descender, sometimes taking one foot off the pedal to take mountain bends like a speedway rider. He landed in a cactus bush descending the Montserra as an amateur and thereafter refused to descend mountains alone, once waiting at the top of a col in the Tour de France for other riders to arrive. He reached the top minutes before a chase group arrived, and famously passed the time eating ice cream by the side of the road.
http://www.cyclinghalloffame.com/riders/pics/Bahamontes_F%20large.jpg

bumknees
05-28-2011, 12:59 PM
eat lots of beans a few hours before your rides, and use a liberal amount of chamois cream so it sounds wet when the jet bursts begin. That should keep the wheelsuckers away.

Seriously, though, when I get unwelcome company from behind, and I'm riding solo, I'll just slow down a tad and start a conversation. Then, we usually end up helping each other

Black Dog
05-28-2011, 01:22 PM
A simple: "Do you mind if I sit on your wheel" or even "hello" is more than enough for me. I would never sit on a stranger's wheel without asking or saying hi. However, good riding etiquette seems to be on the decline with newer riders.

azrider
05-28-2011, 01:51 PM
oye...come on guys....gimme a break

i found myself out in front of the group ride today and when i came up on a middle aged lady on a tri bike going slower i politely said hello as i passed and kept my same pace......about 500 meters later i noticed her shadow behind me and didn't think anything of it. After about a mile I came up on a stoplight and i noticed she was still there. As i came to a stop she was gassed, out of breath and said "wow that was a lot of fun going that fast, thanks!"

I guess i should have yelled at her :rolleyes:

happycampyer
05-28-2011, 01:53 PM
I hear they give out tickets for wheelsucking in Central Park. ;)

Fivethumbs
05-28-2011, 01:57 PM
Another thing I don't like is when I'm out riding alone and someone chases me down and once they catch me they sit up. If someone is faster than me, then that's just the way it is, but I have had several occasions where someone catches me, goes in front, then actually starts riding slower than I was riding when they caught me. It's actually happened four times by the same couple. It's makes things uncomfortable because I don't want to ride the rest of the way home playing an "I pass you, you pass me" game. I wish they would just pass me and keep going.

zap
05-28-2011, 02:00 PM
Doesn't bother me. Half wheelers don't bother me either.

Now if you can't hold your line, that I don't care for.

Joachim
05-28-2011, 02:04 PM
It's just good manners to say hi if you want to sit on my wheel. I think it sounds weird when I hear heavy breathing, huffing and puffing behind me. I don't ask for a dinner and a movie, just a hello.

Elefantino
05-28-2011, 02:15 PM
Dave Stohler got a pump in his wheel for wheelsucking.

false_Aest
05-28-2011, 02:24 PM
It's bad form.

I don't want someone I don't know on my wheel. I don't know how well he/she rides. Last thing I want is some person hitting my rear wheel and then crashing. 'Cuz I'm going to stop and see if they're all right.

There are 4 solutions though. I make use of all three depending on who is behind me.

1) Incrase Speed: This explains itself. If he/she/they can't hold on things clear up.

2) The Swerve: Simply acting like a goofball on a bike makes lots of people think I don't know how to ride. You can make it look like you're having a mech issue easy enough. Most people don't want to help so they'll go around.

3) The Snot Rocket: This is for the dumb-dumb that insists on trying to prove his legs are bigger and better than mine while wearing a Discovery kit. If he (yes, its always a he) hasn't told me that he's attached to my wheel and I'm working 23mph+ for Mr. Anon. I will simply clear my nose --both sides. When he comes around and says something I simply say, "Oh, you didn't tell me you were there."

4) Stop: Duh.

Note: I've only had to stop once. I think he didn't notice that I blew two snot rockets.

bigbill
05-28-2011, 02:36 PM
Another thing I don't like is when I'm out riding alone and someone chases me down and once they catch me they sit up. If someone is faster than me, then that's just the way it is, but I have had several occasions where someone catches me, goes in front, then actually starts riding slower than I was riding when they caught me. It's actually happened four times by the same couple. It's makes things uncomfortable because I don't want to ride the rest of the way home playing an "I pass you, you pass me" game. I wish they would just pass me and keep going.

Catching, passing, then slowing so I have to pass. Cardinal sin of cycling. If you catch and pass me, keep going.

bigbill
05-28-2011, 02:41 PM
It's bad form.

2) The Swerve: Simply acting like a goofball on a bike makes lots of people think I don't know how to ride. You can make it look like you're having a mech issue easy enough. Most people don't want to help so they'll go around.

I got a guy on my wheel between Del Mar and Encinitas who wouldn't pull through and even made the statement, "I'm fine right here". Random slowing, swerving, and riding the edge of potholes got message across.

false_Aest
05-28-2011, 02:44 PM
I got a guy on my wheel between Del Mar and Encinitas who wouldn't pull through and even made the statement, "I'm fine right here". Random slowing, swerving, and riding the edge of potholes got message across.

That gentleman's statement would've upgraded him instantly to a Cat 1 snot rocket of looooooogie consistency.

I have considered dropping a h20 bottle but I don't want to hurt anyone.

Gross out yes. Hurt no.

Scott Shire
05-28-2011, 02:51 PM
Yell at them to work, but do it in Dutch with lots of gesturing. So PRO.

oldfatslow
05-28-2011, 02:55 PM

By far my favorite response. Chuckled to myself reading it.

hairylegs
05-28-2011, 03:19 PM
I'm on the fence with this. When somebody's on my wheel if I'm in the mood I'll look back and say hello to them. If they don't reply and go stone faced I'll usually get frustrated, wait for the next hill and try to drop them. Why not?

BUT...my biggest pet peeve is when somebody's been riding on you for awhile, then you hit a light. I wait for the light since I try to obey traffic laws. When they fly through like it's green that kinda pisses me off I guess.

echappist
05-28-2011, 03:22 PM
I hear they give out tickets for wheelsucking in Central Park. ;)
well played. Those are often the most annoying, given just how dangerous it is to paceline in the park

A simple: "Do you mind if I sit on your wheel" or even "hello" is more than enough for me. I would never sit on a stranger's wheel without asking or saying hi. However, good riding etiquette seems to be on the decline with newer riders.

exactly. I give a dirty look to the wheel sucker and say something to the effect of "you planning on announcing your presence?"

One time, i had a wheelsucker while i was doing threshold intervals. I couldn't shake him with my loogies and otherwise dodgy riding. When my interval ended, i eased up and so did he. I then realized it was a stronger teammate.

bigbill
05-28-2011, 03:34 PM
That gentleman's statement would've upgraded him instantly to a Cat 1 snot rocket of looooooogie consistency.

I have considered dropping a h20 bottle but I don't want to hurt anyone.

Gross out yes. Hurt no.

The San Diego area is the only place I've ever lived where I was allergy free. I had no ammo for a snot rocket. The low humidity meant I didn't even drip sweat most of the time. Hearing the guy grunt when he rode through a pothole I didn't point out made it all worth it.

MattTuck
05-28-2011, 03:36 PM

CLASSIC. If there were a 'best of' thread, I'd nominate this post!

If osme one comes up behind me, I expect them to say "hi" if they're going to sit in. If they're just sitting in without alerting me to their presence, that irritates me; 50% due to rudeness, 50% due to safety concerns. I think erratic riding and getting them to hit some pot holes is probably over the top, but not over the line.

If they are really just being rude, and sitting in after you've called them out on it... I think that's the equivalent of when Jack McCoy says, "permission to treat as a hostile witness?" game on.

monkeywobble
05-28-2011, 04:01 PM
I don't get the hostility.

If I'm out solo and someone wants to tag along I just try to make sure I'm riding smoothly and consistently. I try to make sure I point out road hazards, maintain consistent speed, etc. I've certainly been at the point where I'm deep deep in bonktown and it's all I can do to hang on to someone out for a recovery ride. I always call out thanks before I drop off and chat people up at lights.

I will admit annoyance when someone tags along for maybe half an hour and then sprints past without a word, for some reason this only ever seems to happen with tri-geeks.

jpw
05-28-2011, 04:13 PM
It doesn't bother me one iota, but if they're not saying anything I never look back.

avalonracing
05-28-2011, 04:13 PM
If it really bugged me and I wanted to be passive-agressive about it (opposed to calling them out) I would attack any place that it is comfortable, up climbs, out of corners, after slowing the pace for a bit, etc. Soon they would get tired of trying to bridge. And worst case you would get a better workout in.

echappist
05-28-2011, 04:37 PM
If it really bugged me and I wanted to be passive-agressive about it (opposed to calling them out) I would attack any place that it is comfortable, up climbs, out of corners, after slowing the pace for a bit, etc. Soon they would get tired of trying to bridge. And worst case you would get a better workout in.

not if you are doing a steady workout. worst is when someone does it while you are doing threshold workouts: you can't accelerate b/c you'll ruin your own workout and you are most likely too exhausted to yell

Eurorider
05-28-2011, 04:47 PM
Drafting without letting me know bothers me if I don't know the cyclist- mainly due to safety reasons. Last weekend I had a guy draft behind me during a fast group ride- using his aerobars and almost touching my rear wheel on a course neither one of us knew. Since it was a fairly large group I wasn't even aware of him using the areobars...too dangerous to just accept in my opinion. I am not interested in having my wheel clipped because he doesn't know how to ride. A teammate got him off my wheel...

Fixed
05-28-2011, 05:00 PM
it doesn't bother me if i am out
i just think about time trialing
cheers

William
05-28-2011, 05:07 PM
There is a time and a place....

http://www.saferoadscoalition.org/WheelSuckerWheatLabel.jpg

:beer:

William

RPS
05-28-2011, 05:23 PM
Drafting without letting me know bothers me if I don't know the cyclist- mainly due to safety reasons. Last weekend I had a guy draft behind me during a fast group ride- using his aerobars and almost touching my rear wheel on a course neither one of us knew. Since it was a fairly large group I wasn't even aware of him using the areobars...too dangerous to just accept in my opinion. I am not interested in having my wheel clipped because he doesn't know how to ride. A teammate got him off my wheel...
+1

Normally don't care as long as I feel safe, but draw the line at someone riding on aero bars right behind me; particularly if I don't know them.

If I sense someone has come up behind me I normally slow down just enough so they ride next to me and I have a chance to talk to them. Also gives me a chance to check them out and decide if I want to spend any more time around them. Normally I enjoy meeting new riders but not always.

martinrjensen
05-28-2011, 06:45 PM
I went for a ride around a 13+mile loop on a twisty road. Just as I started a guy rode past, I said hi and noticed he was going about my speed. Going down hill I was behind him because it just wasn't clear to pass. I started talking to him as soon as we slowed down a bit but since there were cars I was behind him drafting so cars could pass.
Well we get warmed up and the guy is going pretty fast. We were doing 23-25 mph up and down these rolling hills. Anyway after a while I offered to pull but I did mention that I probably couldn't go as fast as he was going. I was able to pull consistently around 21, sometimes around 22 or so but it was killing me, I got maybe 3-4 miles or so and he pulled around front. Anyway he finally passed and we said goodby. I slowed down till I caught my breath then spent the next couple miles chasing him. I finally caught him and as long as I was on his wheel I could stay with him, but not alone. We did mostly 24 mph. That's easily the fastest I have ever done that loop. Part of that was just because I had someone to ride with but of course part of it was the draft too. Anyway we finished the loop and we split off to different directions. I thanked him for the pull and he said well thanks for the push, so I don't think he minded too much.
I agree with you though. I sneak a draft when ever I can but I always let the people know I'm behind them. If I'm tired I even say I am just catching my breath and I always offer to pull about half way through the long straights. So far with that approach I have never had a problem.
I turned around one time on a different ride and stared into this guys face only about 4 ft behind me. It kind of freaked me out.

Bob Loblaw
05-28-2011, 08:19 PM
Personally, I take it as a compliment when someone sucks wheel, the implication being that I am the stronger rider. I am the alpha dog, and the rider behind is laying on his back with his paws in the air.

That's solo training rides only...group rides and races are different.

BL

jroden
05-28-2011, 08:49 PM
I live in the sticks, so if I looked back and someone was on my wheel I suspect I would know them. Who cares if someone is drafting off you? I'd say hello to someone, but could care less if someone did not.

PSC
05-28-2011, 10:41 PM
Don't care if someone rides my wheel. I am out there for a workout and do 99% of my rides solo, so I feel that drafting is kinda cheating in a sense. Don't think I'd want someone with aerobars drafting for safety reasons.

maximus
05-29-2011, 05:17 AM
I don't mind when someone sits on my wheel as long as they give a wave or some sort of acknowledgement when they finally do pass. Part of the fun is the anonymous challenge of the whole thing. Saying hello at first is a bit awkward, but I do think that it's bad form not to confirm the (hopefully brief) comradery.

I take it personally when they don't say hello - especially after giving them a good pull.

rugbysecondrow
05-29-2011, 07:38 AM
I don't mind when someone sits on my wheel as long as they give a wave or some sort of acknowledgement when they finally do pass. Part of the fun is the anonymous challenge of the whole thing. Saying hello at first is a bit awkward, but I do think that it's bad form not to confirm the (hopefully brief) comradery.

I take it personally when they don't say hello - especially after giving them a good pull.
Well said.

93legendti
05-29-2011, 07:48 AM
it doesn't bother me if i am out
i just think about time trialing
cheers
Me too.

sbparker31
05-29-2011, 08:19 AM
When I'm out on a solo ride I sometimes wheelsuck riders that are going faster than me after they pass. It is motivation to go faster. However, I will always try to take some pulls. And when when I pass, I never "attack", I just slowly increase my speed so it is no effort for them to grab my wheel. Sometimes I look back and I've dropped them, other times they will latch on and then on the next pass they drop me. One time I did this with a rider that knew what was up, and we rode wordlessly for about 15 miles trading pulls and blowing by everyone on the road. That was pretty cool.

Spin71
05-29-2011, 08:47 AM
Great, another thread about a guy's feelings being hurt someone didn't say hi to them. If you don't like um, drop um..

Dan Le foot
05-29-2011, 09:14 AM
Personally, I take it as a compliment when someone sucks wheel, the implication being that I am the stronger rider. I am the alpha dog, and the rider behind is laying on his back with his paws in the air.

BL
Me too, Bob.
Actually motivates me to get into the drops and pull harder. Gotta show just how strong I am. I love dropping someone in this situation. Especially a young triguy when we hit the hills. :hello:
Dan

Ray
05-29-2011, 09:42 AM
These days I ride so slow and during such slow times (midweek, mornings or midday) that being the sucker or the suckee is not an issue. But there was a time when I rode faster and during more crowded times and it still wasn't an issue! If someone came up behind me and sat on, I'd let 'em sit for a while and if they were still there after a few minutes and hadn't said anything, I'd slow and pull over so we were side by side and strike up enough of a conversation to figure our whether this was gonna be someone to hangout with, someone to ride hard with, or someone to politely tell to get lost (ie, which way are you headed and then let them know I'm headed a different way than that just as I'm about to turn off). When some faster folks came by me and I'd feel frisky enough to try to sit on, I'd always say something if I managed to hang for a bit, ask them if it was OK if I sat on (particularly if there was no way I was gonna be able to pull), and then when we'd part ways I'd always thank them for the pull.

The only time it could get a bit dicey is if I'd catch someone who I was just a bit faster than, they'd get their dander up and have to pass me again, but when we settled into our own paces, I'd naturally go by them again, but slowly enough that they'd sometimes think I was trying to make it into a race (which I invariably was not) and then it would become one unless I was prepared to ride uncomfortably slowly or uncomfortably fast or just pull off somewhere. But that was a rare situation - I only remember being bothered by it a few times in all of the years I've been riding.

It helps to live and ride in uncrowded conditions. There are club rides when I want 'em and my solo rides almost always are REALLY solo.

-Ray

martinrjensen
05-29-2011, 10:07 AM
I don't think this question is about that. it's about proper etiquette. Some things are just rude behavior, that's all. Great, another thread about a guy's feelings being hurt someone didn't say hi to them. If you don't like um, drop um..

Scott Shire
05-29-2011, 10:35 AM
Great, another thread about a guy's feelings being hurt someone didn't say hi to them. If you don't like um, drop um..

Great, another useless contribution to an enjoyable thread.

There, ftfy! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Spin71:
Upgrade your reading comprehension or be nice. Thanks! :)

FlashUNC
05-29-2011, 01:55 PM
I think its only fair to acknowledge that you're back there. As others have mentioned, in my mind its a safety issue for the both of us if I don't.

Plus, its a quick way to make friends out on an otherwise monotonous solo ride.

BillG
05-29-2011, 02:42 PM
Around these parts lots of would-be racer boys in their bike store kits like to pull around you and then not go very fast. I like to sit on their wheels, they deserve it.

Joel
05-29-2011, 03:08 PM
I am often on a fixed gear, so many of the newbies around here have no idea what they are trying to follow - and as all of you know - doing a pace line with someone on a fixed gear is a little bit different.

Case in point this morning, some dude jumps on my wheel, no comment from him.

I say back "good morning!"; no answer from him. :no: I say "good morning" again; again no answer. :no: We are coming up onto a bridge. I need to slow down. :eek: You can imagine the rest...

Next time he'll hopefully say "good morning" and at least try to engage in conversation. Meanwhile he's probably still trying to figure out how I slowed down... yeesh.

ljmiller
05-29-2011, 03:16 PM
If someone passes me (like all of you, usually on a tri with a brand new kit) I will wheel suck them for the rest of the ride, however only if they pass and then go the exact same speed I was going. it gives me a better workout when they try to drop me by speeding up.

cnighbor1
05-29-2011, 07:07 PM
Once I got behind a woman rider and she let me know she wasn't happy having me behind her. I thougth about and decided she is rigth. My riding skills are unknown to her. she could slow down and I just would plow into her. Now I ride off about three feet to be nicer. than I drop off after a bit. I decided that my depth perception is off and riding close in a group should be done by me fully aware of riders around me. when that skill fades i drop off.
If needed you can pull over a bit and wave rider pass. :no:

Dekonick
05-29-2011, 08:01 PM
Catching, passing, then slowing so I have to pass. Cardinal sin of cycling. If you catch and pass me, keep going.

Oh - I agree. This is just rude. If I 'sense' someone coming from behind, I usually let off a bit so they can catch and try to strike a conversation. I have met lots of really interesting people this way. If they are out for a hard ride, they just go on... if not then its a chance to say hi. I also cant stand someone who jumps on your wheel without a word... plain rude. Just say HI - is that too much to ask?

FWIW - I make an EXCELLENT draft - and I don't mind if you grab on and take a short tow... just say hi.

IF someone is sucking my wheel... chances are they are not 'experienced' cyclists. I take is as a chance to meet and educate. I am far from a fast rider... never have been, never will be. Such is the life of someone with a 48 chest...

Dekonick
05-29-2011, 08:07 PM
Well said.

Well - Paul - you give a great pull! :hello:

thegunner
05-29-2011, 08:12 PM
Once I got behind a woman rider and she let me know she wasn't happy having me behind her. I thougth about and decided she is rigth. My riding skills are unknown to her. she could slow down and I just would plow into her. Now I ride off about three feet to be nicer. than I drop off after a bit. I decided that my depth perception is off and riding close in a group should be done by me fully aware of riders around me. when that skill fades i drop off.
If needed you can pull over a bit and wave rider pass. :no:

is this really why she was unhappy with you riding behind her? :D ;)

Dekonick
05-29-2011, 08:44 PM

Hahahahaha! Really piss her off and offer fit advice as you noticed over the last xx miles that her seat post is too high/low...

rugbysecondrow
05-29-2011, 08:54 PM

Is this when you ask the lady why she wore the lace thong with the bike shorts? Oops, maybe that's just me. :)

rugbysecondrow
05-29-2011, 08:57 PM
Well - Paul - you give a great pull! :hello:

Thanks my man! I have to do my part to get you up the hills! :hello:

tiretrax
05-29-2011, 09:21 PM
Is this when you ask the lady why she wore the lace thong with the bike shorts? Oops, maybe that's just me. :)
no, your not alone in that, but maybe so when you're remembering the episode.

i usually don't mind it, but when i pulled a friend on a 100k charity ride and he then sprinted around me 100 yards from the finish, i was not too happy with him.
last week, i was doing another 100k ride and another friend would pass me to take a pull. however, he'd slow, so i'd pass him. when we finished, he asked me if i had to be in the lead. i said "no, i just want you to ride faster than me when you take the front." a wheelsucker makes the front person more efficient - i think it's 20%. their lack of finesse/skill is a legitimate concern.

1happygirl
05-29-2011, 09:29 PM

BL

+100

thegunner
05-29-2011, 09:31 PM

i wonder as well... i'd be curious as to how she handles the chafing issues :(

daylate$short
05-30-2011, 08:49 AM

just sayin...

"Hi, my name's Mikael Cherel (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44vfWbV5O5U), mind if I sit in for a bit?"

We good now?? :D

Fixed
05-30-2011, 09:08 AM
i wonder as well... i'd be curious as to how she handles the chafing issues :(
Vaseline
cheers

zank
05-30-2011, 11:56 AM
When I pass somebody, I say hello and ask them if they want to hop on to get out of the wind.

Hindmost
05-30-2011, 12:47 PM
There are as many possible interactions as there are people out on the road times 2. Are we "training?" Are we of similar ability? Do we recognize each others ability? Is the sun out? Who is in a good mood? When we engage there is an assumption of responsibility for the safety of each other.

I once had a guy threaten to punch me out when I latched on to the back of a small club group going up a grade. I once had a guy threaten to hook me because his friend and kid latched onto my wheel for a couple of miles. I tried to explain to both of these people that I have been riding for a number of years.

Often if I find someone going my way I prefer to ride side-by-side and socialize.

thegunner
05-30-2011, 01:14 PM
in most cases - if someone gets on my wheel that's fine. if i don't like it, i slowly ramp up the pace until i'm basically TT'ing at threshold tucked way low. if you want to sit back there, fine, but i'm going to make it painful for you if you don't want to announce your presence.

sjbraun
05-30-2011, 06:31 PM
So you don't like a wheel sucker, that's fine; it's your ride.

Did you ever consider just telling the parasite you don't want him on your wheel?

Seems like most folks would back off after being told their presence isn't welcome.

martinrjensen
05-30-2011, 06:37 PM
That was pretty funny. The guy stayed on for quite a bit before getting busted. Wonder if he got fined also? Probably...."Hi, my name's Mikael Cherel (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44vfWbV5O5U), mind if I sit in for a bit?"
We good now?? :D

Ti Designs
05-31-2011, 09:24 AM
Most comments about how other people ride is really an admission that you're unsure of your own bike handling. Good riders tend to be the best drafts 'cause they ride smooth and predictable (and sometimes fast). It's really up to the person drafting as to who's wheel they trust and who's they don't - that doesn't take very long if you're paying attention. I ride as if there were always a paceline behind me ('cept off road, you would have to be a bit crazy to follow my wheel then), and if someone else wants to punch a hole in the wind, I'll use it! I do get a kick out of the people who try to get me off their wheel (just asking works just fine, but who has time for that?). I'm pretty sure about my own bike handling, I teach my riders about wheel touching and body contact so it's just part of riding as far as I'm concerned. Group rides (more than 1 rider) should just form out of the need to share the work. This often doesn't happen 'cause people don't have the skills - learn how to ride...

zap
05-31-2011, 10:35 AM
Ti, thank you for the above post.

ot, earlier this year I was working with a pt and finally understood how to do squats facing a wall-sort of like getting out of a chair. It's different and hard at first but well worth the effort to get it right.

sbparker31
05-31-2011, 03:13 PM
Best thing I ever did to improve my riding skills was to take a Velodrome class and ride on the track weekly. There is nothing better than motopacing at 30mph and having everyone behind you yelling at you to smooth it out! Close the gap! etc.

Erik.Lazdins
05-31-2011, 04:58 PM

Fivethumbs
05-31-2011, 07:56 PM
I believe more about consideration for others and respecting someone else's personal space.

ciclisto
05-31-2011, 10:05 PM
personally if you pass me and do not say hello or then cut in front of me and slow down I will suck your wheel till you die. parted air is free!!!!!!!!

Geoff
06-01-2011, 03:49 PM
in 23 yrs of riding I have never had this happen? What kind of sick world do you guys ride in? Generally if I ride solo, 75% of my rides, i dont see anybody else riding.

Tom
06-01-2011, 04:10 PM
I really don't like somebody I don't know just latching on to my wheel without saying anything. Even if I'm riding alone I keep it smooth so when I'm not riding alone I know how to do it and I'm very confident in my skills and know where their limits are. That's not the issue. The issue is I don't know them. Do they know how not to barge into me at the hills? Do they know how not to ride up on my wheel or come partway alongside and panic swerve into me when they hear a car? Do they even know that I know they are there so when I approach the stop sign and actually stop for it they don't just ride right into me? I don't trust anybody I haven't ridden with conversationally and have had the opportunity to see exactly how they comport themselves on a bike.

If you can't pull up alongside me and have a quick conversation, stay the hell away from me. I ride alone for a reason most of the time, by the way, and not all of it is because I am a total misanthrope*. I prefer to be alone, and I have news for you. You prefer not to be around me.

It just takes a word or two. If I pass you without saying anything, that's not an invitation to jump out on my wheel. If you catch me, let me know you're there so I don't do something stupid. Tailing me close silently is just creepy. Stop it.

* That's Latin for a--hole.

rustychisel
06-02-2011, 12:12 AM
Most comments about how other people ride is really an admission that you're unsure of your own bike handling. Good riders tend to be the best drafts 'cause they ride smooth and predictable (and sometimes fast). It's really up to the person drafting as to who's wheel they trust and who's they don't - that doesn't take very long if you're paying attention. I ride as if there were always a paceline behind me ('cept off road, you would have to be a bit crazy to follow my wheel then), and if someone else wants to punch a hole in the wind, I'll use it! I do get a kick out of the people who try to get me off their wheel (just asking works just fine, but who has time for that?). I'm pretty sure about my own bike handling, I teach my riders about wheel touching and body contact so it's just part of riding as far as I'm concerned. Group rides (more than 1 rider) should just form out of the need to share the work. This often doesn't happen 'cause people don't have the skills - learn how to ride...

+ 1

thought I'd blundered into the grumpy old men forum until I read this post. :beer:

Pete Serotta
06-02-2011, 02:44 PM
There are thousands that view and posts here AND the vast majority are good folks, in fact they are very good folks.

A few, as in all parts of life, can make the day not so good.......

Wheel sucking is not good or bad, it is a part of some rides....If it is not to ones tolerance, they can speed up, turn off, or slow down so they are not part of the train. (I have done this more than once over the years.) :(

Life is good and summer is here or close depending where you are.

YEah I know in Australia, fall is coming, :beer:

PETE

+ 1

thought I'd blundered into the grumpy old men forum until I read this post. :beer:

CaptStash
06-04-2011, 03:26 PM
So I was thinking about this thread when I came up on a guy riding a Pegoretti today during my morning ride. It was a stunningly beautiful morning and I was flying (must have been the tailwind). Anyway, I noticed he locked in after I passed him and I rode accordingly. All of a sudden a dude on a Trek comes by with the "on the left" call, drops in in front of me, slows down and five more from his group muscle in, including the guy with the Peg. We were crossing Lake Washington on I90 and I couldn't get around these bozos due to the narrow path and two way traffic. I have to say it was darn frustrating but I did get to have a nice long look at what I think was a Responsorium. Very pretty bike. They went the other way around Mercer Island so I got clear of them at the top of the floating bridge.

What is it about guys in pacelines that they think it's ok to pass you and then slow down so their buddies can latch on? I had the same experience with a couple of big clubs during STP two years ago.

CaptStash....

Mattbotak
06-05-2011, 09:43 PM
Grab my wheel anytime. If I know you're there I'll point out the hazards. Safer for the drafter and me......if someone was tail-gating my car the last thing I would do is turn off the brake lights. To not do this IMHO is dangerous, I'd hate to see someone fall or break equipment on pot holes.

Tom
06-06-2011, 08:12 AM
So I got a good one this Sunday. I'm heading out of town on the path on the way to Route 5S up the river, (the other option is I-890, not a good one), nobody in sight, I was about to pass a walker on the path and glanced back before I pulled around them. About 20 yards behind me is a rider, and that's where they stayed until I went straight and they went up the hill.

That's somebody who knows what the hell they're doing. I appreciate it.

HJR
06-06-2011, 05:50 PM
Before I give my comment, I just want to add that I appreciate this community and many within the cycling community, but I do not understand why there is always such a debate as to who and who isn't worthy to ride a bike. I understand the safety concerns with some manuvers inexperienced riders do (I recently had a friend taken out by another friend who is learning) but it shouldn't keep us from wanted to share the sport. Just keep a wide berth. I like to ride alone many times and other times I appreciate the company and strike up a conversation. If you are training, then drop them or drop back, if you are in the mood to be alone then stop for a quick break, either it is not worth getting worked up about.

lhuerta
06-06-2011, 06:54 PM
Before I give my comment, I just want to add that I appreciate this community and many within the cycling community, but I do not understand why there is always such a debate as to who and who isn't worthy to ride a bike...it is not worth getting worked up about.

+1

Most comments about how other people ride is really an admission that you're unsure of your own bike handling.

+1

…these are perhaps the two best comments I have read in this otherwise disconcerting thread. In my over 30 years of cycling I have NEVER been concerned, surprised or bothered, by someone "sneaking" up behind me and sharing "my" airspace. Simply put, if you feel you own the pocket of air behind you then you are missing the point of cycling. If you are surprised by someone suddenly behind you then you are simply not paying attention. I can always tell when someone is behind me (I don't wear headphones and I don't ride in the dark) so my eyes and ears are always my first alert. If someone decides to stick with me, I am usually the one (not the other way around) who initiates verbal or non-verbal communication, inviting them to join me.

I might sound like a retro-grouch traditionalist, but there are some practices in cycling that I hope don't get co-opted by the over zealous "etiquette" patrol among inexperienced cyclists.

Happy riding everyone!
LH

Tom
06-07-2011, 08:30 AM
http://www.velominati.com/blog/the-rules/

uno-speedo
06-07-2011, 08:53 AM
I'm usually more worried about moving vehicles rather than a fellow cyclist riding my wheel. I get more worried when I draft and don't do it often.

93legendti
06-07-2011, 01:24 PM
in most cases - if someone gets on my wheel that's fine. if i don't like it, i slowly ramp up the pace until i'm basically TT'ing at threshold tucked way low. if you want to sit back there, fine, but i'm going to make it painful for you if you don't want to announce your presence.
On Saturday some guy hopped on my wheel and then pulled even with me on a narrow winding road with a very small shoulder. I wasn't sure what his plan was, but I felt like going harder and he didn't say anything, so I upped my pace. I looked back a few minutes later and he was gone. That was fun.

crownjewelwl
06-07-2011, 02:06 PM
all i'm saying is i like to be kissed before being ______!

i don't care if you want to draft behind me, just be nice about it. on this particular occasion that sparked my rant, the same rider came up behind me twice! after i dropped him the first time (we took different routes and i got stuck at a light) i saw him up the road again, passed him, and he latched on again. when i finally slowed to peel off for home, he rode right by without a passing glance.

simple pleasantries...perhaps a hello or a discreet nod...that's it