PDA

View Full Version : Logan rides

Dan Le foot
05-28-2011, 08:46 AM
Hi Gang.
We are traveling in our motorhome with our new Kish ti cross bikes. When we are running 23mm road tires we don't feel much of a difference from our road bikes. (if any). We have had the 32 mm off road tires on for the last few weeks because of the flexibility that they offer in the mountain towns we have visited recently in the Western States.
We are in Heber City Ut. right now and will be heading over to the Logan area in a few days and expext to stay a week or more depending on the weather in Idaho.
We understand that Logan has a very large biking community. Do you have any route recommendations that should not be missed?
Thanks.
Dan
Pic of Mic with her Kish outside of Capitol Reef

dave thompson
05-28-2011, 09:09 AM
You guys are having entirely too much fun!

CunegoFan
05-28-2011, 01:32 PM
I have not been there for a few years but...

Blacksmith Fork Canyon. From Logan to the end of the canyon and back is roughly fifty miles. The canyon is sort of rolling with an upward trend. There is a river just off the side of the road for most of it. That is a great place to ride.

If you want something more adventurous with dirt then you could take the left fork that is partway up Blacksmith. It become dirt after a short distance. It is rough in some places and ultimately connects Blacksmith Fork Canyon to Logan Canyon. At the top you can take a dirt road to the top of Mt. Logan (9700 ft.) and get a view of the whole valley.

Logan Canyon is a nice ride. It is about 32 to 33 miles to the top. Dropping down to Bear Lake adds another 8-9 miles. So round trip can be ~65 or 80+ miles.

There are lots of rural roads to the south and north of Logan. It is all pretty much flat but a nice riding area.

For long hikes I recommend the Wellsville mountains west of Logan, Green Canyon just east of Logan, and the area around Tony Grove. All of those are wilderness area.

The Wellsvilles are a very small mountain range that form the western boundary of Cache Valley. I seem to recall that it is about a three thousand vertical foot climb to the top. From there you can follow the ridge to the two peaks on the south end of the range. There are often a lot of raptors there. It is a bird watching area.

Green Canyon is north of Logan Canyon and on the very edge of Logan. It is dirt road for about four miles. That turns to single track, and enters the Naomi Peak wilderness area a couple of miles later. You can drive to the single track. Not a lot of climbing.

Tony Grove is a small lake in a "hole". It is bordered by cliffs. The turn off is twenty miles up Logan Canyon, and then it seems like it is six or seven miles to the lake. On a road bike it is a nice alternative to going to the top of Logan Canyon or a way to add extra miles. At Tony Grove you can hike to Naomi Peak, Cherry Peak, Mt. Magog, and Mt. Gog.

My favorite hike there is a ridge climb to the top of Logan Peak, but there is no official trail...

I am not sure what the snow conditions are right now. Spring is about two months behind schedule in Utah right now.

c-record
05-28-2011, 02:42 PM
Cunego gave you some really good advice. If you want a line on restaurants or group rides shoot me a PM. There are group rides ranging from fun to cut throat.

There is still a lot of snow so many trails/higher rides are less accessible. Be great to see you out on a ride!

c-record
05-28-2011, 02:45 PM
I may stowaway in your RV when I get jealous of the fun you must be having. :)

fourflys
05-28-2011, 03:28 PM
Dan, I aspire to be you one day... we need to get a ride or two in when you get back...

Chris

CunegoFan
05-28-2011, 04:44 PM
If you will be in Heber for a few more days and if time and weather permits then you might try the Alpine Loop. It is one of the most beautiful rides on the Wasatch Front. From the turn-off in Provo Canyon it is nine miles to the top. The upper five miles is switchbacks through aspen trees with a gorgeous view of the backside of Mt. Timpanogus. From the top, you can drop down to Cascade Springs, which requires you to climb back up to the top of the loop, or descend down American Fork canyon and make it a loop around Mt. Timpanogus. Park at Vivian Park to do the whole climb. If you park at Sundance Ski Resort then the hardest part of the climb is eliminated and it is seven miles to the top instead of nine. Park at Aspen Grove and another three miles are chopped off, leaving just the best (and easiest) part of the climb.

Dan Le foot
05-29-2011, 08:14 AM
[QUOTE=CunegoFan

I am not sure what the snow conditions are right now. Spring is about two months behind schedule in Utah right now.[/QUOTE]
You got that right, Cunegofan.
It is 36 degrees in Heber City right now, Snowed at higher elevation last night. We were set to do the big/classic climbs in the SLC area but it is way too cold for us. We rode up the 92 the day before yesterday (Alpine scenic loop) but were met with 4 feet of snow on the road just up from Sundance.
Thanks for the great info on the Logan area.
Dan

Dan Le foot
05-29-2011, 08:22 AM
Dan, I aspire to be you one day... we need to get a ride or two in when you get back...

Chris
Hi Chris.
Watch what you ask for. You may just get it. :help:
We haven't taken the 32mm knobbies off the cross bikes since leaving Prescott az 3 weeks ago. When the paved rural roads turn to dirt we just keep going. dirt.
I'll give you a holler when/ if we ever get back to San Diego.
Dan

Dan Le foot
05-29-2011, 08:29 AM
Cunego gave you some really good advice. If you want a line on restaurants or group rides shoot me a PM. There are group rides ranging from fun to cut throat.

There is still a lot of snow so many trails/higher rides are less accessible. Be great to see you out on a ride!
That would be fun, c-record. :beer:
We actually will be staying at the Hyrum State Park.
We are easy to spot. Michelle is the shinny lady riding way up front from me on the climbs. And I have a carbon fiber right leg. (Can't have too much CF).
We are riding twin Kish cross bikes. Half red/half ti. Sounds like we will need to put our skinny tires there.
Dan

Dan Le foot
05-29-2011, 08:49 AM
You guys are having entirely too much fun!
Hi Dave.
Just trying to cram the rest of our life into the rest of our life.
And you know how that is especially true for us..
When we leave Northern Idaho we may take a left hand turn to Spokane. Should we park in front of your house or in your driveway? The motorhome measure 40' or so. We have a long electric extension cord and sewer hose.
:beer:
Dan

Dan Le foot
05-29-2011, 08:52 AM
Looks like Blacksmith Fork Canyon will be just outside our park in Hyrum. The guy in the LBS in Heber says it might be flooded.
True?
Dan

jeo99
05-29-2011, 03:06 PM
Dan,
If you do decide to try Idaho, I can help you with several rides. Boise has a hugh cycling crowd and the riding around town and out is great. Afterall it was the site of the largest woman's stage race in the world before it fell to hard monetary times. For many years the conservative UCI would not recognize this race as it deemed it too difficult for woman. Now it is home to world champion, Olympic Gold medalist Kristen Armstrong. She came out of retirement this year(after having a baby) and won the Sea Otter Classic and the time trial for the ladies version of the T.O.C.

Jim O

Dan Le foot
05-30-2011, 07:54 AM
Dan,
If you do decide to try Idaho, I can help you with several rides. Boise has a hugh cycling crowd and the riding around town and out is great. Afterall it was the site of the largest woman's stage race in the world before it fell to hard monetary times. For many years the conservative UCI would not recognize this race as it deemed it too difficult for woman. Now it is home to world champion, Olympic Gold medalist Kristen Armstrong. She came out of retirement this year(after having a baby) and won the Sea Otter Classic and the time trial for the ladies version of the T.O.C.

Jim O
Hi Jim.
Can I ride a couple of your cool bikes?
We plan on visiting the Island Park area before heading up to West Yellowstone and over to Colter bay. From there we are thinking of Ketchum and Stanley area. Maybe Mccall.
Next we will head West to Oregon or South through Salt Lake for some of the big climbs that we missed while we were here because of the weather. (Snowing in Park City now) :help:
Dan

jeo99
05-30-2011, 09:07 AM
Hi Jim.
Can I ride a couple of your cool bikes?
We plan on visiting the Island Park area before heading up to West Yellowstone and over to Colter bay. From there we are thinking of Ketchum and Stanley area. Maybe Mccall.
Next we will head West to Oregon or South through Salt Lake for some of the big climbs that we missed while we were here because of the weather. (Snowing in Park City now) :help:
Dan

Dan,
I would definately go to Ketchum. A good ride is north on Idaho-75 toward Stanley. This route is a gradual climb over Galena Pass into the Sawtooth valley. The entire route is beautiful but viewing the Sawtooths while riding the flat valley road is breath taking. You start at 5800' go over Galena at 8700' back down to 6500' in Stanley. It is about a 60 mile one way route. McCall is the best kept secrets in Idaho. Not secret to the Boise residents as they flock there on the weekends. IMO the prettiest town in Idaho. BTW they are still skiing at the local ski resort outside McCall. I do know of a paved route outside of McCall that is out of the traffic and into the mountains if you go.

Jim O

c-record
05-31-2011, 12:55 PM
Blacksmith Fork Canyon should be fine. I haven't been up but talked to a couple of riding friends that have said the canyon is clear. The river fluctuates between moderate and high but it's been fine and safe to ride.

Dan Le foot
05-31-2011, 02:35 PM
Blacksmith Fork Canyon should be fine. I haven't been up but talked to a couple of riding friends that have said the canyon is clear. The river fluctuates between moderate and high but it's been fine and safe to ride.
GREAT.
Looks like it is right across from the Hyrum Sate Park where we will be camping.
We are in Ogden now. Hills AFB. Got a short, but nice ride on the Base this morning. And the sun has finally appeared.
See you on the road soon.
Dan