PDA

View Full Version : UGH!! Mavic freehub retaining screw stuck in place!

130R
05-28-2011, 02:05 AM
Hey guys, I recently picked up a NOS set of mavic classics and i'm switching these babies over to campy.

Only problem is that the freehub retaining bolt is frozen in place!

The sucker is in there tight and I've never had this problem with any of the ksyriums I've had.

I'm on the verge of having a bike shop taking a look at them. But before I do, are there any other suggestions on taking the bolt off?

I've tried wd40, hitting the allen wrench with a hammer to "shock" the bolt loose, etc.

lemme know!

TIA!

rice rocket
05-28-2011, 04:31 AM
I've only ever serviced FTS-L freehubs, is it the same 2 piece axle w/ 5mm allen heads on either side?

My Cosmic Carbones were tough, but it's pretty much a matter of leverage; the axle assembly doesn't really have much to it other than one rod that threads into the other. If you have a vice, clamp an allen wrench into it and set the wheel on top to hold it in place. Then if you have a impact driver/wrench (or even a power drill w/ a clutch) with a 5mm bit, hammer away. If you don't have an impact driver, grab a bit driver on a ratchet (or another allen wrench) and use as much leverage as you need (extra pipes, etc). The Mavic axles are hardened and can take the abuse.

oldpotatoe
05-28-2011, 07:21 AM
Hey guys, I recently picked up a NOS set of mavic classics and i'm switching these babies over to campy.

Only problem is that the freehub retaining bolt is frozen in place!

The sucker is in there tight and I've never had this problem with any of the ksyriums I've had.

I'm on the verge of having a bike shop taking a look at them. But before I do, are there any other suggestions on taking the bolt off?

I've tried wd40, hitting the allen wrench with a hammer to "shock" the bolt loose, etc.

lemme know!

TIA!

5mm allen in RH axle end then a 17mm box wrench on the RH nut, lefty loosey. Altho the freehub is the same, the axle is different, if it's the one I think it is.

bart998
05-28-2011, 09:57 AM
I've had very good luck with CRC Freeze off. Available at many auto parts stores (Kragen/O'Reilly). CO2 freezes the bolt and allows the penetrant to do its work. Great on stuck seat posts too.