PDA

View Full Version : Crazy OT: Dehumidifier

saab2000
05-27-2011, 05:58 PM
My LG which is about 3-4 years old no longer works. I want the Serotta of dehumidifiers. Functional and durable (above all else) and I don't care about price except it can't be a part of the house's HVAC system.

Any experts on small appliances?

I know it's wildly OT but I hope the Serotta reference makes it OK!
:D

1happygirl
05-27-2011, 06:07 PM
Hello how many sq feet you wanna suck the moisture out of? Will it be used in a basement at all? I had two, a kenmore (sears) and whirlpool that stool upright on casters. Looked on the sears site, appears they have cut back on their offerings. The whirlpool I have with digital temp setting has a small collection chamber that had to be emptied every day. How much do you want to use it? If it is for a basement, would help if it was rated for non-icing (like my whirlpool)

saab2000
05-27-2011, 06:13 PM
Finished, semi-submerged basement. I'm guessing 600 square feet. It's not horribly damp but I like it really dry. Also, I do have a drain for it. So the size of the collection tank is not important.

Looking for the best quality unit I can get. As in most durable. Price is not really the issue.

somewhere I read that Fridgidaire might be a good name.....

happycampyer
05-27-2011, 06:24 PM
I have something called a SaniDry. It's the TruTrainer of stand-alone dehumidifiers. Not sure you can get one without going through a contractor called Basement Systems, but I think the same machine is available under a different name.

maunahaole
05-27-2011, 07:02 PM
Saab, I'll shoot a message out to an old high school buddy of mine who does basement waterproofing for his advice. I'll get back with you if he has a recommendation.

Louis
05-27-2011, 07:18 PM
Saab, I'll shoot a message out to an old high school buddy of mine who does basement waterproofing for his advice. I'll get back with you if he has a recommendation.

Please post it on the thread. I'm interested in seeing what he has to say.

Thanks
Louis

jghall
05-27-2011, 07:29 PM
While I am sure mine is not the end all/be all, I have a Fridgidaire and have been content. Had for 4+ years and seems to be going strong. I'll have to get the model for you.

Has the standard tank, but also a hose connection which I run to my sump pump.

tooonee
05-27-2011, 07:59 PM
Odd. My mom has had her LG one for going on 6 years now and it works great. Maybe yours was built without TLC? Get it repaired and see how long it lasts again.

maunahaole
05-27-2011, 08:17 PM
My buddy runs a basement systems outfit in central Mass. He recommends the Sani Dry. FWIW his company is the manufacturer. He says it will do up to 2500 sq/ft and 110pints of water per day. 30 month warranty. He has 12 years on one at this point. He will get me info for your local dealer if you provide location. Shoot me PM and I can get you some info.

SEABREEZE
05-27-2011, 08:25 PM
I run 2 Kenmore dehumidifiers in my home here in Fl, and they do the job.
Likewise when living in the NE I had a finished basement where we also had two, and they did the job there as well.

saab2000
05-27-2011, 08:36 PM
Odd. My mom has had her LG one for going on 6 years now and it works great. Maybe yours was built without TLC? Get it repaired and see how long it lasts again.

I've called around. Nobody seems interested in repairing it.

tooonee
05-27-2011, 08:52 PM
I've called around. Nobody seems interested in repairing it.

Well that stinks. I would just check online reviews on newer ones. They usually are pretty good about letting you know when something is junk ha.

saab2000
05-27-2011, 08:55 PM
Well that stinks. I would just check online reviews on newer ones. They usually are pretty good about letting you know when something is junk ha.

I have. But folks here are smart. And savvy. They buy Serottas after all, right?

tooonee
05-27-2011, 09:00 PM
Hahaha, you better hope so. Or your going to have 2 broken dehumidifiers. :D

happycampyer
05-27-2011, 09:32 PM
Looks like the SaniDry is the same thing as the Santa Fe Classic, made by Therma-Stor:

http://www.thermastor.com/Santa-Fe/

I think SaniDry is the brand name that Basement Systems uses. The thing works like a champ.