PDA

View Full Version : Calfee Dragon Fly really Flies

zoom2zoom
05-27-2011, 06:59 AM
I have been commuting (17 miles each way) to work in Wash DC for awhile and rotating different bikes: Surly LHT, Rivendell Rambouillet, Lemond Zurich, BH Speedrom, and Serotta CXII which i sold. I am not an agressive rider, but i do try to keep a watch on my time which averages 1:08 to 1:12 depending on the bike setup. My PR on BH Speedrom was 1:06

Today, I decided to take my Calfee Dragon Fly Pro out. Started a bit cautious on street roads with low profile carbon wheels, but once i got to more open road/trail and the bike woke up and i felt like i was literally carving the road, the hills i had worked for on other bikes were ease to climb.

i had such a big smile on my face while riding, when i got to my destination, time was 1:02

will be taking this bike on the Total 200k (not miles) ride in June.

timto
05-27-2011, 09:55 AM
Wow what a nice commuter bike! Do post pics in the gallery. Calfee's are excellent bikes that just don't get much visibility.

eddief
05-27-2011, 10:05 AM
your increase in speed? Weight, aero, new commute-bike-itis, more coffee, less wind, sexual satisfaction? Shed some light.

rnhood
05-27-2011, 11:55 AM
I used to have a Calfee Tetra and it was a really nice bike. The Dragonfly is similar, and lighter. Makes me jealous.

zoom2zoom
05-27-2011, 02:24 PM
The bike weigh in at 15.4 lbs with pedals and seat on the digital scale, which is 2 lbs lighter than my other carbon.

But besides the weight difference, It just felt like the power is not lost when pedaling, especially in hills. I was able to push the bike without feeling something is holding me back which I feel sometimes with my other bikes.

Will stick with steel bikes for me commute due to the rough pavements here in DC, but will be good training when I do ride the Calfee.

your increase in speed? Weight, aero, new commute-bike-itis, more coffee, less wind, sexual satisfaction? Shed some light.

MattTuck
05-27-2011, 02:59 PM
But besides the weight difference, It just felt like the power is not lost when pedaling, especially in hills. I was able to push the bike without feeling something is holding me back which I feel sometimes with my other bikes.

I feel like something is holding me back too! Unfortunately, it is not the bike... it is the person on the bike!

zoom2zoom
05-27-2011, 03:19 PM
There's a reason why I don't ride carbon tubulars to DC....

On my way home just a mile out the office I get a flat on my front tire. Then had to walk back to the office in my cleats drop the bike off now trying to catch te metro home in white socks biking shorts and black business shoes

And I think the low profile rim is out of true now

MattTuck
05-27-2011, 03:25 PM
There's a reason why I don't ride carbon tubulars to DC....

On my way home just a mile out the office I get a flat on my front tire. Then had to walk back to the office in my cleats drop the bike off now trying to catch te metro home in white socks biking shorts and black business shoes

And I think the low profile rim is out of true now

http://www.buzzpirates.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/nelson2.gif

Sorry about the rims though... I'm sure we can all imagine your humiliation, black shoes. ouch.

fogrider
05-28-2011, 12:59 AM
The bike weigh in at 15.4 lbs with pedals and seat on the digital scale, which is 2 lbs lighter than my other carbon.

Will stick with steel bikes for me commute due to the rough pavements here in DC, but will be good training when I do ride the Calfee.
yeah, ride steel as training bikes and then the lightweight superlightweight on the weekend.

eddief
05-28-2011, 07:20 AM
while difficult to quantify efficiency at the pedals, there is no doubt that a few lbs. less bike mass is noticeable. good on you.