PDA

View Full Version : Bicycle Weight

sirroada
06-18-2005, 09:13 PM
Are Legend Ti's a heavier bicycle? I am wondering because I just purchased one and it weighs 18.75 lbs. I would have thought a triple butted Ti setup weighed less than that. Here is how I have the bike set-up:
Legend Ti-54cm
Sizzler GS paint with rear triangle polished ti
Reynolds Ouzo Pro unpainted fork
Dura-Ace 10
FSA OS115 stem, K-Force Light seatpost
Chris King Headset
Michelin Pro Race Tires
Kysrium SSC-Sl wheels
Look A3.1 pedals
Specialized Alias saddle
Salsa Short-n-Shallow handle bars
I added up all the weights including paint and came in at 16.5 lbs with everything. I weighed it on the scale three times and came up with 18.75 lbs. The legend weighs as much as my old trek! Now...don't misunderstand me, I absolutely LOVE this bike but I would have thought it would weigh less. Is this normal for a Ti bike?

Spinsistah
06-18-2005, 10:24 PM
I just have to ask - how did you figure out how much paint weighs?

And how about your handlebar tape, bar ends, computer, sensors, and tubes?

I'll leave it to the experienced members of the forum to explain the business about the triple-butted ti frame and weight. Just don't obsess about the frame's weight, there is so much more to a good frame than what it weighs. And the Legend is one of the best.

JMHO.

coylifut
06-18-2005, 10:40 PM
a clubmate has a Giant that is supposed to weigh 15.5 lbs. Actual weight is 17.5. stuff seems to weigh more than it's advertised.

columbusslx
06-18-2005, 10:54 PM
mavic and FSA are always heavier than catalogs. Shimano seems right on. Campy a bit mixed. "It doesn't matter" but if I am buying a 155gram stem it shouldn't weigh 205g.

Climb01742
06-19-2005, 06:06 AM
there always seems to be a difference between "claimed" weight and "actual" weight. sorta like with us peoples. :p

Dr. Doofus
06-19-2005, 06:13 AM
just ride the stupid thing

unless you're attacking jan on the columbiere and you're 6% fat, it only matters in your head, you ego, and what crap you tell your bike buddies

oh yeah

happiness and good vibes below

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Ti Designs
06-19-2005, 06:29 AM
mavic and FSA are always heavier than catalogs.

Someone's gotta ask - how much do their catalogs weigh???

samcat
06-19-2005, 06:41 AM
pretty snappy for a non-person. ;>)

Or, are you legal, at last?

PH

Len J
06-19-2005, 07:48 AM
Quoted bicycle weight is like quoted average speed.......mostly exaggeration.

The weight difference on a bike is pretty small as a percentage of total ride weight (Bike + Rider + 2 water bottels filled + extra tubes etc). It's really not going to affect your performance at the level you ride. (Unless you are in the TDF or such)

I have a Merckx MXL that is 3 pounds heavier than my Ottrott........you know what, I never notice the difference when actually on the bike.

Len

Ti Designs
06-19-2005, 08:22 AM
Quoted bicycle weight is like quoted average speed.......mostly exaggeration.

No, you just need to look at the bigger picture. Yeh, the weight of the bike is the weight of the bike plus the rider plus the water bottles plus any extra crap you bring with you. But the average speed of the bike needs to take into account the speed that the earth is moving around the sun too.

Weights of bikes also bend the rules of physics. For example, my Serotta frame was shipped to me by UPS, the shipping lable said 30 pounds. Let's say the box and bubble wrap were 10 of those pounds, so I have a 20 pound frame and fork. My bike only weighs 19 pounds by itself, so the components tip the scale at -1 pound. The marvel of 10 forward gears is nothing next to the real work going on over at Shimano and/or Campagnolo...

And by that logic, my age is now 26. Age is defined as the time a person has lived, and if you ask the Social Security department, I wasn't living between 1990 and 2005, but I'm back now.

Life is just plain weird, the numbers don't add up. Just ride your bike and I'll try not to sound like Andy Rooney any more...

BumbleBeeDave
06-19-2005, 10:09 AM
. . . INCLUDING bottle cages, seat bag with spare tube and multi-tool, and perhaps a bottle? There seems to be no standard configuration to weigh a completed bike and I think marketers take advantage of that all the time to skimp on the listed weights. I’ve never weighed my Legend, but I’m sure the above-mentioned parts would add at least a couple of pounds.

Marketers even pull this trick with frame weights. What exactly does “Frame” mean? Does it include the fork? Headset? Seatpost collar? Often if you look in catalogs like CO Cyclist, Excel, or others, they don’t make it clear either. One “frame weight” may include the fork and seatpost collar. Another may include a headset. A third may include none of these. It makes it often impossible to really equally compare frame weights as you are shopping.

I would agree with others that to us non-pros, a couple of pounds either way probably makes little difference. But it IS annoying when when manufacturers are obviously fudging.

BBDave

slowgoing
06-19-2005, 10:11 AM
You may be missing something. The only way to really tell if it's the frame or the parts is to take all of the parts off and weigh the frame alone. I have a legend frame and it weighs less than three pounds. Not heavy by any means.

aLexis
06-19-2005, 12:28 PM
Keep in mind that any full bike weight is given without pedals. Those look A3.1s weigh 400g a pair, more than 3/4 of a pound.

Keep enjoying it though, and don't worry about the scale.

Sandy
06-19-2005, 01:27 PM
A bike weighs what it weighs.

Sandy

Sandy
06-19-2005, 01:29 PM
I should worry about the scale, not my bike.

Weightless in space,

Spaceman Sandy

Ginger
06-19-2005, 01:56 PM
Bike wait?

Serotta doesn't have much of a wait anymore.

and it's the paint...You've got a ti bike with paint on it. There's lead in any paint they apply to Ti bikes otherwise it doesn't stick...
(and for all of you who believe everything you read on the internet...shame on you! I'm joking.)

To know where your weight went wrong someone above has it right. You have to dismantle the bike, clean it off all grease and weigh it on it's own. Then do the same with each indicvidual component. Then you'll know A. Who's not truthful about their weight and B. How much your bike weighs.

Kevan
06-19-2005, 03:04 PM
on that scale?

Outer Limits is 21 lbs. and the Calfee is 18.25 lbs. Outer Limits I use for weight lifting and commuting and just watching people drop their jaws. When playin' wid da boys I ride the Calfee. Some of the pals have just this season bought themselves weenie rockets and frankly I don't feel disadvantaged.

Weight a minute [sic]... I do feel disadvantaged, what was I thinking??? This is my excuse for buying new wheels for next season.

Pal Mikemets, on his C50, which ain't really a weenie rocket in the truest sense, is puttin' the hurts on us guys. Lack of weight's important, but it ain't everything.

victoryfactory
06-19-2005, 06:01 PM
Sirroada:

Did you get your frame made with an O.S. downtube?
That could add a few oz.
Also note that Serotta don't publish weights for just this reason.
I used to think it was a cop-out on their part, but I've come around. I now
think they have made this stand for all the right reasons, even though they
occasionally take some heat for it. How can they list accurate weights when every bike
they make is custom?

VF, I may be a weenie, but I'm not a weight weenie!

BumbleBeeDave
06-19-2005, 07:45 PM
. . . to fill up one of the tubes with concrete when Kevan finally buys himself a brand new Serotta!

Are you listening, Alexis? James? Kelly? Ben? :rolleyes:

BBDave

Too Tall
06-20-2005, 05:58 AM
Yes, Ti Legends tend to be "stouter" than most. If that equates to heavier well I'll choose that every time. Legends are built to rival Serotta's benchmark steel CSI ride and feel. Sooooo if you ware building Ti frames to ride like steel you gotta crack a few eggs OK?

mikemets
06-20-2005, 06:42 AM
Pal Mikemets, on his C50, which ain't really a weenie rocket in the truest sense.

My "C50" is a virtual boat anchor at 17 lbs. compared to Lloyd's "Look" or Nino's "Scott." ;)

BTW - the 17 lbs. includes everything except the saddle bag and bottles.

Tom
06-20-2005, 07:27 AM
59cm all metal Legend, OS tubes, Deda metal stem, Deda metal bars, K SSC SL, Mich Pro Race, Specialized whatever saddle, Thomson aluminum seat piost and Campy Chorus - with cages but nothing else is 18 pounds 3 ounces on my digital scale. The CSi with similar setup but silly Easton carbon bars and K Elites is 19 pounds 12 ounces. Maybe your scale or mine is screwy?

Don't worry about it. Weight only matters when people are picking it up and going ooooo.

Fixed
06-20-2005, 02:09 PM
Hi. I had a 15 pound bike for 2 months I couldn't stand it ,weight is not the end all. Enjoy your bike it is one of the best bikes made i.m.h.o. Cheers

Vancouverdave
06-20-2005, 06:35 PM
I assembled and test rode a couple of dozen Legend Ti's at a place where I used to work--when a bike rides like that, how can anybody care what it weighs? Unless it's steel and built by e-Richie, how's it going to get any better?

LegendRider
06-21-2005, 11:28 AM
I weighed it on the scale three times and came up with 18.75 lbs. The legend weighs as much as my old trek! Now...don't misunderstand me, I absolutely LOVE this bike but I would have thought it would weigh less. Is this normal for a Ti bike?

I had a Legend Ti with DA and Ksyriums and the bike weighed 18.5lbs. I think the weight of your bike is normal given your set-up. In the day of off-the-rack 16lb bikes it does seem a little too much IMO. But, ride quality, durability, etc. are hard to quantify.

Kirk Pacenti
06-21-2005, 11:49 AM
Who cares about weight? Why doesn't anyone bring up things that really matter, like reducing the friction in the moving components of a bicycle?
I'd gladly ride a "heavier" bike, if I could only get rid of all the friction in the system. Bring back cup and cone BB's I say!

Cheers,

PaulE
06-21-2005, 12:36 PM
You have a great bike, no matter how much it weighs! Taken to extremes, not having any bike at all would weigh nothing, but how fast would you be with no bike? How fast would you be on a bike that whipped like a wet noodle when you climb or wobbled so bad on a descent that it scarred the life out of you?

Aside from the questions already raised there are many reasons for weight differences.

How long are your cables and cable housings?

How many links in your chain?

What size cogs are you using, 11 - 23 or 12 - 27?

What length cranks and what size chainrings?

Most wheel manufacturers seem to quote wheel weights without skewers.

Do Ksyrium wheels use rim strips?

Steerer tube length? Diameter 1" or 1-1/8"?

Headtube extension length?

Headset spacers?

Stem length?

If your bike fits you and handles well, that is the bottom line. Enjoy.

saab2000
06-21-2005, 04:10 PM
Crank length does not matter. They are all the same with the hole drilled differently.

Excess cable does not weigh much, but it looks dorky and phred-like.

My steel forks are 1" in diameter and stiffer than carbon forks. The smaller steerer tube and smaller headset negates a tiny amount of the advantage of a carbon fork. The peace of mind negates the rest.

Too little chain and the shifting will go to heck and the friction will increase.

Heaset spacers? Head tube extension?? What's that?

A bike weighs what it weighs. Handling and balance and fit are the three most critical things. The next most critical thing is to ride Veloflex tubulars.