PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for Eatery's in Boston area

SEABREEZE
05-26-2011, 07:22 PM
Heading to Marlborough Mass on business for a couple days, and then plan on spending 2 days in Boston.

Recommendations for Eaterys like you would see on Tripple D in those area's.

Would also like to have a nice Italian dinner while in Boston.

Also recommendations of sights to see while in Boston

Much Appreciated....... :beer:

William
05-26-2011, 07:29 PM
Calling BillG
BruceK
Hardlyrob
Old School
Ti
Rick
and you other dogs and girls in the area!!! :)

William

wc1934
05-26-2011, 07:42 PM
I have always had a great meal at Lucca's in the North End (Italian district- you can really just walk Hanover Street and check out he menus and see what strikes your fancy - I also like Davios - near the public garden - neither are inexpensive, but real good and you will not be disappointed.

Bruce K
05-26-2011, 07:50 PM
Fried clams are worth the drive to The Village in Essex (owned by Old School).

Otherwise just head for the North End and see what catches your fancy for italian. We always liked Joe Tecci's. Especially the people watching back when the guys with pinkie rings and lumps in their armpits used to eat there.

Lots of good seafood. Union Oyster House is fun. Any Legal is always a safe, if a little pricey, bet.

Redbones in Somerville for great barbeque.

Intersting eats in Cambridge too.

Lots of folks here have their favorites and we live on the North Shore so have gotten away from the downtown stuff abit.

For Triple D stuff you pretty much have to get out of town.

BK

markie
05-26-2011, 08:11 PM
Heading to Marlborough Mass on business for a couple days, and then plan on spending 2 days in Boston.

Much Appreciated....... :beer:

Whew, I just moved to Marlborough. I guess I have not been here long enough to give recommendations. Linguines has great cheap Italian...

I can loan you a fixie if you want to spin around.

(What kind of work are you in, not biotech by any chance?)

BillG
05-26-2011, 08:15 PM
Neptune Oyster House is probably the best restaurant in the North End, in particular if you like seafood. Nuovo Italiano. Really good.

The new Island Creek Oyster House in Kenmore Square is also excellent for seafood.

Legals is an institution, but at this point a chain restaurant. Those two restaurants are much better.

If you like walking, the best thing to do in Boston is to walk the Charles River walkway. Start around Kenmore Square, walk up to around Copley (where the Arthur Fiedler statue and the bandshell are). Take one of the footbridges over into Boston. Walk up to the Public Gardens, look at the swan boats. Walk up to the North End, eat at Neptune. Get a cannoli and a coffee somewhere. Walk up to the Old North Church, and then meander back through Boston and back on the Charles. If you're really adventurous head to the Harbor and Harpoon Brewery, look at the ICA (neat building). If the weather is good you'll have a perfect day.

Grumbs
05-26-2011, 10:03 PM
For BBQ, Soulfire, on Harvard street in lower Allston is the best in town, imo. Second best is Blue Ribbon, with locations in Arlington--not far from the minuteman bikepath-- and West Newton, one block from Harris Cyclery.

The Village Kitchen, on Highland Ave, in Somerville, is really good food. You can check out their menue online (same with the BBQ places I mentioned).

We don't have much good Mexican food. Ole's in Inman Squ. Cambridge is okay, but expensive.

If you do get a chance to ride a bike, and you don't hate the hell out of multi-use paths, the Minuteman path goes all the way from Davis Square, Somerville (where Redbones is --they have bike valet service!)to Bedford, where it becomes a dirt path, through a wildlife refuge, that takes you very close to Walden Pond, in Concord --for Thoreau's house and swimming.

I'm not sure what DDD stands for, unless it's Deez Dunkin Donuts, in which case there's one on every other corner.

kmla320
05-26-2011, 10:17 PM
North End Italian

19wisconsin64
05-26-2011, 11:51 PM
Ten Tables in Jamaica Plain

Stellas in the South End of Boston

get resos for both

the food is amazing...there are a lot of great places now in Boston, i lived there for 25 years and still work for a Boston company. cheers!

thegunner
05-26-2011, 11:53 PM
flour bakery (if sweets are your thing)

Bruce K
05-27-2011, 04:00 AM
DDD = Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives (or something like that).

A show on Food Network featuring good, local, inexpensive eats.

BK

schwa86
05-27-2011, 05:09 AM
I think Bruce K has it mostly right. +1 for Redbones.

A couple of additional thoughts:

1) if you are walking around downtown (eg near City Hall/Statehouse) at the right time, try Chacarero -- Chilean sandwiches -- http://www.chacarero.com/

2) there are a variety good, cheap Vietnamese places in the Chinatown area (next to downtown) -- Pho Pasteur etc

3) the Boston Globe runs a "cheap eats" column every week that is fairly reliable and you can read reader comments if you like some things better than others. http://www.boston.com/ae/restaurants/gallery/cheap_eats/

4) lots of emerging gastropubs and quite a few brewhouses with decent food -- the beer is pretty good at Boston Beer Works and the food is quite solid; alternately if in Cambridge in Kendall Sq Cambridge brewery has great outdoor seating/brick patio

5) if you want to spend more $ (not outrageous) and are near Harvard Sq -- might think about Dali (Spanish Tapas) in Somerville -- generally great stuff, funky space, etc. Can be a line, a little off the beaten path ...

Say more about what you want to see, but I agree with the comment about Boston being best seen on foot by walking around...

rice rocket
05-27-2011, 05:17 AM
I'll throw this one in....

Sunset Grill & Tap on Brighton Ave. Great beer selection (couple hundred + whatever's on tap), and they do a free buffet thing at midnight on Sunday and Monday nights which has some interesting stuff (bar food, but not the usual if I remember correctly).

DRZRM
05-27-2011, 07:35 AM
East Coast Grill in Cambridge does great BBQ and seafood. I'll second liking Blue Ribbon more that Redbones, though both are good. You bringing a bike?

IFRider
05-27-2011, 07:46 AM
If you are in Boston by the infamous Faneul Hall, avoid the food there and walk over to State Street (right next to Fanuel Hall) and check Sultan's Kitchen. Turkish/mediterranean food. I have been going there for 20 years and it is my favorite place to eat hands down. Perfect for a Saturday lunch when exploring the city. Then you can walk over to the North End for dinner. One of my favorites is Bricco's or The Daily Catch or Pomadoros for italian. Daily Catch and Pomadoros are casual Italian seafood. Bricco is more formal.

Instead of Legal's for seafood, I prefer King Fish in Faneul Hall. It is/was a Todd English Restraunt as I recall.

In Cambridge, I recently ate at Chez Henri. French Bistro. It was very good and close to Harvard if you are walking around that end of town. If you are in South Boston check out Gaslight Brasserie http://www.gaslight560.com/ for frenh bistro.

Enjoy,

Warren

MattTuck
05-27-2011, 07:59 AM
I'll second chacarero! I once had a streak going of getting my lunch from there every day I wasn't traveling... went on about 4 months! It is a bit of an acquired taste... but worth it!

Also check out Masa for brunch. Not really a DDD type of place, but is very good.

Enjoy Boston. Depending on your interests, there's obviously a lot to do. Museum of Fine Art and Gardner Museums for art, tons of U.S. history ranging from the "freedom trail" a self guided walking path through historic points of interest, or make it out to Lexington and Concord for a little U.S. revolutionary history.

If you make it out to lexington, check out: http://ridestudiocafe.com/
Nice collection of Sevens and Cervelos... and some Rapha if you like that type of thing.

For a more off beat history of Boston, I'll refer you to what I find to be a curious (if tragic) accident from Boston's past:

The Boston Molasses Disaster, also known as the Great Molasses Flood and the Great Boston Molasses Tragedy, occurred on January 15, 1919, in the North End neighborhood of Boston, Massachusetts in the United States. A large molasses storage tank burst, and a wave of molasses rushed through the streets at an estimated 35 mph (56 km/h), killing 21 and injuring 150. The event has entered local folklore, and residents claim that on hot summer days, the area still smells of molasses.

http://parksfacts.blogspot.com/2010/10/boston-molasses-disaster.html

SEABREEZE
05-27-2011, 08:15 AM
Op here, First off let me say, thank you for all of your feed back. It will be very helpful.

Second I appologize, As I should of mentioned in the opening post, this is for my son. I will forward this thread to him, I know he to will be very appreciative.

Markie > thanks for the offer of the fix, but he will be putting in 2 long days while in Marborough, setting up a Data Center.

I would like to add I found a few places Guy Fieri of DDD visited while in Boston and surrounding area's for you locals, as none where mentioned, in case one day you to may want to check them out.

Comments are appreciated, if by chance you experienced any of these places.

Sam Lagrassa's speializes in sandwiches
44 Province Street
Boston, MA 02108
Tel: (617) 357-6861

Greek Corner Restaurant
2366 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge, MA 02140
Tel: (617) 661-5655

JT Farnham's Seafood & Grill
88 Eastern Ave.
South Essex, MA 01929
Tel: (978) 768-6643

Mike's City Diner
1714 Washington St
Boston, MA 02118
Tel: (617) 267-9393

Charlie's Diner
5 Meadow Street
Spencer, MA 01562
Tel: (508) 885-4033

Bartley's Burger Cottage - website
1246 Massachusetts Ave.
Cambridge, MA 02138
(617) 354-6559
www.mrbartley.com

Four Sisters Owl Diner - (no website)
244 Appleton St.
Lowell, MA 01852
(978) 453-8321

Morin's Hometown Bar & Grille - website
16 S Main St.
Attleboro, MA 02703
(508) 222-9875
www.morinsdiner.com

I enjoyed all of your warm New England hospitally.
Thank you once again

BillG
05-27-2011, 08:18 AM
Farnhams is terrible. Avoid. The Clam Box is the generally considered the best.

BumbleBeeDave
05-27-2011, 08:25 AM
I haven't been there for about 4 years, but I can still taste it--in a good way! It's very informal and close quarters, but definitely some of the best BBQ I have ever tasted--and I've lived in the midwest where KC has Arthur Bryant's among others and there were some rural places in Oklahoma that blew everything else away.

Also another vote for The Village, run by Old School. We rode out of there a year or two ago and ate on the outside terrace afterward. Absolutely sublime!

BBD

MattTuck
05-27-2011, 08:28 AM
Sam LaGrassa's food is preety good. A while back (5+ years ago) I ate there for lunch every day for about 2 or 3 months (yes, I find a place I like and just keep going!), and on my birthday, I told them "it's my birthday, do you think I could get a free cookie today?" and they said no. I never went back.

hankchong
05-27-2011, 09:24 AM
I'm a fan of Christopher's in Porter Square, http://christopherscambridge.com/, just a short walk from Redbones. They serve the usual burgers, sandwiches and bar faves, as well some interesting Colombian faire, with a rotating selection of local beers.

Closer to Kendall Square, there's the already mentioned Cambridge Brewing Company, http://cambrew.com/, and Lord Hobo, http://lordhobo.com/. Both are more beer halls with interesting food. Meadhall, is another beer hall, recently opened near Kendall Square. I haven't been to Meadhall, but recommend the other two.

mcgillicuddy_p
05-27-2011, 01:10 PM
I will second the East Coast Grill in Inman Square. Awesome!!! My favorite place to eat.

Cambridge Brewing Company is also very good with a cool patio.

BBQ: Pulled pork-Blue Ribbon. Ribs-Village Smokehouse in Brookline. Red Bones is a great all around experience.

Go to the North End for Italian.

Grumbs
05-27-2011, 05:29 PM
Deluxe Town Diner in Watertown, near the Cambridge line, is very good -- they have a menu online.

Redbones is a really fun place, with great beer selection and some very spicy jerk beef and atomic corn relish, but Soulfire is really the best for pulled pork, spare ribs, and brisket -- Eastern North Carolina style.

Felafel corner in Harvard square is great food, really cheap.

+1 for East Coast grill. On the menu you can order some PBR tall boys for the kitchen, and they ring a bell and cheer. Plus the hellbone ribs and pulled pork, and of course seafood.

Atasca, in Kendall square is awesome Portuguese food with a nice atmosphere, and Cambroidge Brewing Company has delicious food and beer.

I recommend the Brattle theater in Harvard Square, for cool classic and eclectic movies. They also serve wine and Cambridge Brewing Company beer, and Pretty Things- a fancy local brewery. The movie schedule for the Brattle is on their website at Brattlefilm.org, two months in advance. David Lynch has his name on a seat in the front row.

marle
05-27-2011, 06:11 PM
http://www.easternstandardboston.com/

SEABREEZE
06-17-2011, 09:55 AM
Update:

I would like to THANK all who contributed

While there,

Dinned at:
Legal sea food, lucca's, mike's pastry. In cambridge, we had lunch at courthouse seafood. They had an amazing homemade tartar sauce

Sightseed at

Visited the museum of science, museum of natural history (harvard), USS constitution, bunker hill monument, new england aquarium, and took a duck tour