PDA

View Full Version : BB30 Crankset Question

bikerboy337
05-26-2011, 08:03 AM
Just had my first BB30 crankset installed at my LBS... its a used FSA SLK-Light with about 1000 miles on it... when i spin the crank (with no chain attached, its a bare frame), it barely spins 1 revolution... its smooth, no grinding or noticable issues, just "stiff". It kind of feels like if you tighten a headset too much, its still smooth, but has a "stiff" feel and wont turn...

assuming this isn't correct for the BB and it should spin more freely... any comments/thoughts would be appreciated.

thanks.

FastVegan
05-26-2011, 08:36 AM
My sram red bb30 is the same way. I was told it is "seal drag". After a full CX season it spins a few more times.

I think as long as it does not "bind" when turning it is ok.

My $0.02

Dave

Tim
05-26-2011, 04:07 PM
My SRAM Red crankset with BB30 bottom bracket is the same way- my mechanic tells me that it's the way they are. If I want to spend way more money he said can put in some much higher quality BB30 bearings than the ones that SRAM sells, and the whole thing will run with less friction, but it hardly seems worth it.

rice rocket
05-26-2011, 04:27 PM
That's pretty standard for any cartridge bearing nowadays.

Also, keep in mind that the crankset is probably lighter than whatever you had previously, so its inertia is lower.